• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support Christian Femininity and Modesty

BarefootSpirit916

Female
One of the most important challenges a woman faces in her life is her battle with her physical appearance. Regardless if it's our hair, our face, our bodies, clothing or whatever; we're always doing what we can to look our best. Even if our family and friends compliment the way we look, I still look into mirror and see the opposite.
It has been a uphill battle for me in wanting to be like every other girl without being made fun of and outcast because I chose to be different.

However, that was before I gave my life to Christ.

I recall one time when two girls were snickering and curious I saw they were making fun of the Christian girl who attended school in a modest dress that resembled what the Duggar daughters wore on their show. I admit the way she looked did force her to stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the students. Looking back I wish I wasn't a coward and stood up for her but I didn't want to come across as a freak for defending someone who was different.

Now that I'm her shoes I finally realize how difficult it is for a young Christian, male or female, to dress modestly in a sinful world. After I became a Christian and proclaimed my faith to my family, I've found the most challenging thing I face is making sure my physical appearance reflects how I see myself on the inside.

Thankfully I'm so far been blessed to have clothes that could pass off as casual while still looking modest in appearance. However, my ultimate goal is to better understand how a Godly women should look to reflect her Christianity.

Good bless, Dora :)

Dora, there are levels of modesty. I would say I dress modest others would still say I show to much skin. It is important for each woman to 1 dress as she is convicted by Holy Spirit. 2. How does her husband want her to dress, if she is married. 3. Does she bring honor to God.
There are many of us who cover our hair (I dont always) others who do not cover at all. I do not believe those who don't wrap bring any less honor to their husbands or Yahweh.
I do agree we should not dress provocative or in a way that could stumble another. We also can't be consumed with what others think about our level of modesty. Any way that is my 2cents.

Dora, there are levels of modesty. I would say I dress modest others would still say I show to much skin. It is important for each woman to 1 dress as she is convicted by Holy Spirit. 2. How does her husband want her to dress, if she is married. 3. Does she bring honor to God.
There are many of us who cover our hair (I dont always) others who do not cover at all. I do not believe those who don't wrap bring any less honor to their husbands or Yahweh.
I do agree we should not dress provocative or in a way that could stumble another. We also can't be consumed with what others think about our level of modesty. Any way that is my 2cents.
First level...NO yoga pants! Ughhh those things make me shudder...

I love yoga pants. Especially while gardening. And running errands. I think there are some that are more flattering then others. I don't like the ones that are spandex all the way to the ankle. I like the ones that are more like bootcut pants. And I always have the hubby make sure they aren't see through when bending over or whatever. I'm totally not offended that they're not for you guys. :)

My personal opinion is to try not to have an opinion about the way others dress. Their clothing choices aren't a part of my "job" so I feel like for myself any way contemplating their choices is too close to judging them. That's definitely not saying I think you guys are judging! Just for myself!

As for how I dress, I usually show Slumber any new clothing I've bought if I am unsure of how appropriate it is. And he'll tell me if he likes it or doesn't or if he likes it but not for wearing outside the house. The one that comes to mind is a strapless dress I have that he said he really likes but since it's a little short too he doesn't want me wearing it to run errands.

Before I was married and didn't have his opinion to guide me I usually did a few tests in front of the mirror. Could I lean forward without everything showing from the top of my shirt? What if I sat down, would my skirt become too short? The rule at my elementary school was that your shorts/skirts had to be longer than your fingers with your arm straight down by your leg. So that was another way I tried to be modest.

I would say not to really overthink it. God will know your heart is to be modest and will help you and will help guide you if you are sincere in it. :)

Last edited:
I love yoga pants. Especially while gardening. And running errands. I think there are some that are more flattering then others. I don't like the ones that are spandex all the way to the ankle. I like the ones that are more like bootcut pants. And I always have the hubby make sure they aren't see through when bending over or whatever. I'm totally not offended that they're not for you guys. :)

My personal opinion is to try not to have an opinion about the way others dress. Their clothing choices aren't a part of my "job" so I feel like for myself any way contemplating their choices is too close to judging them. That's definitely not saying I think you guys are judging! Just for myself!

As for how I dress, I usually show Slumber any new clothing I've bought if I am unsure of how appropriate it is. And he'll tell me if he likes it or doesn't or if he likes it but not for wearing outside the house. The one that comes to mind is a strapless dress I have that he said he really likes but since it's a little short too he doesn't want me wearing it to run errands.

Before I was married and didn't have his opinion to guide me I usually did a few tests in front of the mirror. Could I lean forward without everything showing from the top of my shirt? What if I sat down, would my skirt become too short? The rule at my elementary school was that your shorts/skirts had to be longer than your fingers with your arm straight down by your leg. So that was another way I tried to be modest.

I would say not to really overthink it. God will know your heart is to be modest and will help you and will help guide you if you are sincere in it. :)
My main issue with them is that some styles show every line of a woman's private area or every jiggle. Actually, true yoga pants aren't as revealing as the leggings some women wear as pants. I personally wear a longer tunic top over any pants I wear to cover my "back side".

My main issue with them is that some styles show every line of a woman's private area or every jiggle. Actually, true yoga pants aren't as revealing as the leggings some women wear as pants. I personally wear a longer tunic top over any pants I wear to cover my "back side".
Oh yes, there are so many kinds of yoga pants and some that are worse than others. I am a fan of the longer tunics too :)

I have a pair of yoga pants I wear to bed once in a while. I do have some exercise pants I wear for bathing suit bottoms. I Really Don't Like showing my Legs.

A big MLM came through our small town and I kid you not at least 20% of the woman here started to sell yoga pants “leggings” is what they called them. These ladies started with videos and Facebook sales. Posting videos and pictures daily of the new prints and pairing them to make outfits. Even the husbands got in on the sale videos. Everything became just a tad annoying filling up your feed with all things leggings. And then, it happened, a husband lost a bet and had to wear a pair of “meggings” to clean the house. And!! They videoed it and put it on Facebook!!! How embarrassing!! And this guy was supposedly a mans man. He is a police officer, has 5 boys, and is an avid hunter. I was so embarrassed for him. But, it gets worse!! Other wives had their men follow suit!!! Um NO!! That was it for yoga pants for me. It even hard for me to wear them when I do yoga now.

A big MLM came through our small town and I kid you not at least 20% of the woman here started to sell yoga pants “leggings” is what they called them. These ladies started with videos and Facebook sales. Posting videos and pictures daily of the new prints and pairing them to make outfits. Even the husbands got in on the sale videos. Everything became just a tad annoying filling up your feed with all things leggings. And then, it happened, a husband lost a bet and had to wear a pair of “meggings” to clean the house. And!! They videoed it and put it on Facebook!!! How embarrassing!! And this guy was supposedly a mans man. He is a police officer, has 5 boys, and is an avid hunter. I was so embarrassed for him. But, it gets worse!! Other wives had their men follow suit!!! Um NO!! That was it for yoga pants for me. It even hard for me to wear them when I do yoga now.

What's MLM?

Multi Level Marketing.
Sort of like a pyramid scheme, but you're actually selling a product. Normally it's a 'health' product, or sometimes beauty stuff like makeup, never heard of it with leggings before.

Oh! Ha! Actually I know exactly what @Littles was referring to now! I've seen the legging groups and actually know a few people that sell them although I don't really like them. Too many crazy colors.

Thanks FH2 for spelling it out for me! :)

Back