• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Clan Building: Wealth

rockfox

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Male
Some of the recent posts about polygamy as wealth building have been a revelation to me...

in a strongly patriarchal model: Family owns one large home, children guided, based on gifts and abilities into complimetary businesses or careers while keeping family consolidated under centralized patriarchal leadership growing into multiple colocated dwellings. Goal to retain and coordinate assets and resources for the benefit of the family. Resources grow more rapidly and intentionally.

Now, alter Family A into husband, two or three wives sharing and submitting to his leadership and vision, and 15 children being guided toward a unified family vision, then suddenly, in two generations you have REAL resources, power and influence. .

Basically, this idea that PM allows us to stabilize the family, build clans, prevent the concentration of wealth and flow of it out of our community....that is really powerful.

But how do we do it?

I can kind of see how this would start in PM, given the cost savings of one household and the wealth building potential of multiple income streams from you & wives. But that is, in the bigger scheme of things, just a start; a seed. How does this play out intergenerationaly? It seems like there is more to this than a family with slightly better cash flow that nonetheless still spits out a bunch of hyper-individualistic automatons.

But what? What does this look like? How do we do it?

Certainly, no expert here. I'm a big picture visionary sort...

That being said, the black community that is pursuing poly has started to figure this, very tribal, aspect out. Hondo Solomon and Polight are two Youtube names that I've listened to that hit it directly and indirectly. Central, is a patriarch with a nultigenerational vision. I have become convinced this is part of the answer for how Abba restores Israel... oddly, that is the conclusion of many in the black Israelite community as well....

Now, if we can all just learn to play nice... ;)

(Side note, re: Hondo and Polight see some things quite differently than we do. Chew meat, spit bones...)

Some of the recent posts about polygamy as wealth building have been a revelation to me...

Basically, this idea that PM allows us to stabilize the family, build clans, prevent the concentration of wealth and flow of it out of our community....that is really powerful.

But how do we do it?

I can kind of see how this would start in PM, given the cost savings of one household and the wealth building potential of multiple income streams from you & wives. But that is, in the bigger scheme of things, just a start; a seed. How does this play out intergenerationaly? It seems like there is more to this than a family with slightly better cash flow that nonetheless still spits out a bunch of hyper-individualistic automatons.

But what? What does this look like? How do we do it?

It's my understanding that this model of family is one of the main reasons why the Roman's and Catholic church made polygyny illegal.

A thriving polyginist family like the one you describe has little reason to see the state and local priests in the role of the husband/patriarch.

Also as far as financial models go I know of a few that work really well over about a 15 to 20 year period for large families. They are agricultural business based models with some diversification into other assets that compound interest (without charging interest to your brother).

I'll come back and post one of the models later tonight. I'm a little short on time at the moment.

Also as far as financial models go I know of a few that work really well over about a 15 to 20 year period for large families. They are agricultural business based models with some diversification into other assets that compound interest (without charging interest to your brother).

I'll come back and post one of the models later tonight. I'm a little short on time at the moment.

Yep that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Looking forward to it.

Speaking of building clans...
Ziona has built a whole clan single-handedly (well... with the help of his 39 wives! :eek::eek::eek::eek:). The wiki article does include a lengthy description of their self-reliance via agriculture and multiple side businesses.

We have worked towards producing food, a basic need, for our family and hopefully in excess of what we can use.

Hubby has also taught our boys his skills, and work ethic. They have dad for a boss, and he has a crew he can trust and rely on because they understand the quality of job he expects.
It's working so far, and working together is getting us where we want to go. Our sons are earning their inheritance, and will hopefully never have to pay rent to have a place to call home.
I'm still the only wife, but the more we accomplish the more we have to offer someone else, even if it's just a working model for applying old fashioned values to modern family life.

Speaking of building clans...
Ziona has built a whole clan single-handedly (well... with the help of his 39 wives! :eek::eek::eek::eek:). The wiki article does include a lengthy description of their self-reliance via agriculture and multiple side businesses.
Hubby was not impressed with the number of children or grandchildren Ziona has. It is neat that they are self reliant though!
I married into a big family. My father in law had three consecutive wives, 19 children and has over 50 grandchildren already.

We have worked towards producing food, a basic need, for our family and hopefully in excess of what we can use.

Hubby has also taught our boys his skills, and work ethic. They have dad for a boss, and he has a crew he can trust and rely on because they understand the quality of job he expects.
It's working so far, and working together is getting us where we want to go. Our sons are earning their inheritance, and will hopefully never have to pay rent to have a place to call home.
I'm still the only wife, but the more we accomplish the more we have to offer someone else, even if it's just a working model for applying old fashioned values to modern family life.

We live a very similar life; though the move set us back some. I'm just not sure yet how to carry it forward intergenerationally.

I'm just not sure yet how to carry it forward intergenerationally.
As far as wealth building goes, I can actually see benefits in the opposite direction. A wealthy man can marry many wives, have many children, and this spreads his wealth thinner In the next generation. I can't help but wonder if this is part of the biblical solution for the left's alleged problem of inheritance and wealth inequality (e.g. the millionaire's lazy only son inheriting a fortune that he didn't earn).

As far as wealth building goes, I can actually see benefits in the opposite direction. A wealthy man can marry many wives, have many children, and this spreads his wealth thinner In the next generation. I can't help but wonder if this is part of the biblical solution for the left's alleged problem of inheritance and wealth inequality (e.g. the millionaire's lazy only son inheriting a fortune that he didn't earn).
Excellent insight I had not considered. Pulls up the bottom without overtly enriching the top! Another reason why God said Israel was to have no poor among them.

An additional thought from Scripture, the firstborn double portion insured the family and rewarded the wise older (not always olderst) son to protect and lead the family. But, the rules of inheritance also, as you point out, insured distribution, rather than consolidation, of the family wealth.

Yes the trust fund baby thing is to be avoided. It is easier for that to happen when you only have 1 or 2 kids. But I don't see this as building huge wealth, more in providing opportunities, community, and freeing our clan from the necessity of debt.

Let me use farming as an example: if you want to get into farming today you either have to be the eldest son of a farmer or enslave yourself to the bank for 30 years (though in truth, few ever escape). And even the eldest son may have to do that too so dad can have money for retirement. It used to be you worked hard and earned it via blood, sweat and tears. Now every generation has to buy the land anew; allowing the bankers to eat out the fat of the land.

The same goes for housing. Young families with kids have little money and end up in apartments or small houses or enslave themselves to a banker to buy a house causing the man to have to work long hours and be absent from his kid's life. Often at a job that requires them to move far away from home, isolating them from family and meaning they're not around to care for their parents; who end up alone in a nursing home. Then when this young couple reaches mid-life and can afford a bigger house they but have nothing to put in it but consumer goods. This is exactly backwards but isolated families and the banking system have made it inevitable for most.

Excellent insight I had not considered. Pulls up the bottom without overtly enriching the top! Another reason why God said Israel was to have no poor among them.

An additional thought from Scripture, the firstborn double portion insured the family and rewarded the wise older (not always olderst) son to protect and lead the family. But, the rules of inheritance also, as you point out, insured distribution, rather than consolidation, of the family wealth.
Discussing this with my eldest and said, 'as a system, poly should reduce both upper and lower class while building the middle class.'

That seemed a good coalescing of this part of the thread.

That is so great. Encouraging to hear!

Hubby was not impressed with the number of children or grandchildren Ziona has.
Do you mean he was surprised by how few? It's an average of less than 3 children per wife. But I presume much of that comes down to practicalities on how he's organised the family, rather than a deliberate intent. It sounds like he spends one week a year with each wife. That's a very small window to get pregnant in. There are obviously better ways of organising things to increase the chances of conception if that's your goal, but if you're not deliberately trying to maximise the number of children I can see how the more wives you had, the less children you could expect each to bear.

You could however manage your harem like you manage a herd of cows to time artificial insemination, and devise an appropriate mating strategy to maximise fecundity... Sorry, I'm an agricultural scientist, confronted by an issue like this I can't help finding a solution that is informed by farming... :eek:

Do you mean he was surprised by how few? It's an average of less than 3 children per wife. But I presume much of that comes down to practicalities on how he's organised the family, rather than a deliberate intent. It sounds like he spends one week a year with each wife. That's a very small window to get pregnant in. There are obviously better ways of organising things to increase the chances of conception if that's your goal, but if you're not deliberately trying to maximise the number of children I can see how the more wives you had, the less children you could expect each to bear.

You could however manage your harem like you manage a herd of cows to time artificial insemination, and devise an appropriate mating strategy to maximise fecundity... Sorry, I'm an agricultural scientist, confronted by an issue like this I can't help finding a solution that is informed by farming... :eek:
I watched a short film about this family and when they asked him about intimacy he said that whenever the wives need him they come to him. I don’t if the one week a year thing is totally accurate.

I think it was 1 week of dedicated all day service to his needs. But that's all really besides the point of this thread.

Back