• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

From Staff Current staff

Who are the Torah dudes? If they are very huggable, hey, normally I save my enthusiasm for the ladies but what can I say, Im a hugger.

Only I pat a guy in the back quite forcefully in my man hugs so I can always say "Heeeyyy guy, yeah I may be huggin ya... but just dont forget Im also still punching you at the same time, dude."

Ah - but there's a question with a catch - after the hug would they lay down the law for you?:D
You can promise me anything, gold, fame, women, you’ll never persuade me to lay the Law down! :mad:

Ok, I know that’s not what you meant, but it was such a delicious opportunity.

Who are the Torah dudes? If they are very huggable, hey, normally I save my enthusiasm for the ladies but what can I say, Im a hugger.

Only I pat a guy in the back quite forcefully in my man hugs so I can always say "Heeeyyy guy, yeah I may be huggin ya... but just dont forget Im also still punching you at the same time, dude."
I just settle for cracking a rib or two.

Who are they? Well, they look deceptively like normal people.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer @MontanaDaniel, but I'll be completely honest and point out that a large proportion of the men who frequent forums like this are geeks also, so we've probably got enough expertise floating around already. But it's good to know you're one too.

I'd advise sticking to hugging trees. They don't slap you in the face or punch you in the nose, as a large proportion of the women & men here would no doubt do if some random stranger walked up and tried hugging them. Trees are friendly. And they're all Torah-followers also (at least, they don't actively disobey Torah...).

Well I knew it was a Jewish reference, but I literally thought you guys had a group here who called themselves or were known colloquially and affectionately as "The Torah dudes" haha. Something in my harebrained imagination stirred up images of like 8 guys that all in one photo would look like ZZ Top, the Blues Brothers and Lazer Wolf from Fiddler in the Roof got together, which comprised the upper echelons of BF somehow...

So, is there a Jewish polygamous tradition/sanctity in the Torah as well??!

Have you read your Bible lately? Or, maybe you don't understand that the Torah is Genesis through Deuteronomy and is the foundation for any propoly defense from Scripture?

Technically, not 'Jewish' but 'Israelite' or 'Hebrew.' From Torah we have as example polygynists, Abraham, Jacob, Moses and Caleb.

Have you read your Bible lately? Or, maybe you don't understand that the Torah is Genesis through Deuteronomy and is the foundation for any propoly defense from Scripture?

Technically, not 'Jewish' but 'Israelite' or 'Hebrew.' From Torah we have as example polygynists, Abraham, Jacob, Moses and Caleb.

Also the specific regulations about how to behave when you take another wife... ie provision for the first, inheritance specifics, don’t take a woman and her daughter...

So let me get this nice and crystal: you're asking a Christian person if they have read their bible, accusingly so, while mentioning in the same sentence about another religion (which Ive never been a part of or studied) that has a book/s ive never picked up in my life (the Torah)... hmm, interesting. Sure, Moses, Jacob, Abraham, the Israelites, pretty familiar with those figures and stories, understood from youth that Judaism and Christianity share a lot of material, but granted Im a regular Joe, not a theological PhD like many fine folks at BF, but how would I possibly know that If I werent A Jewish, B a theologian??

Thanks for the 411 but you came across as awfully smug, PeteR. I'm sure you were aiming for "clever and instructive". If that's the case, next time just the facts PeteR. Thanks.

So let me get this nice and crystal: you're asking a Christian person if they have read their bible, accusingly so, while mentioning in the same sentence about another religion (which Ive never been a part of or studied) that has a book/s ive never picked up in my life (the Torah)...
As @PeteR said, the Torah IS Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. Read what he said again.

And this isn't theological mumbo-jumbo, it's a very common term that it is not at all unreasonable to expect someone to know (or take 10 seconds to look up for themselves). But, just in case you didn't already know that, @PeteR kindly defined it very explicitly for you - yet you didn't even read what he said before lashing out at him with a ridiculous accusation that he was suggesting you read the writings of a different religion. As you say, let's stick to the facts and have no more personal accusations.

Last edited:
So let me get this nice and crystal: you're asking a Christian person if they have read their bible, accusingly so, while mentioning in the same sentence about another religion (which Ive never been a part of or studied) that has a book/s ive never picked up in my life (the Torah)... hmm, interesting. Sure, Moses, Jacob, Abraham, the Israelites, pretty familiar with those figures and stories, understood from youth that Judaism and Christianity share a lot of material, but granted Im a regular Joe, not a theological PhD like many fine folks at BF, but how would I possibly know that If I werent A Jewish, B a theologian??

Thanks for the 411 but you came across as awfully smug, PeteR. I'm sure you were aiming for "clever and instructive". If that's the case, next time just the facts PeteR. Thanks.

Bro if you have never read the Torah then you have never read the entire Bible. The Torah is the first 5 books of the Bible. Perhaps you have simply never heard it referred to by its Hebrew name? Oh yeah and as one of those “Torah guys” I can tell you that my relationship with Messiah Yeshua (Christ Jesus) has never been better since I began keeping Torah. It’s not “another religion”

hey, go ahead, defend your own. Do as you do. Its what internet geeks do all over the web. Im just about done here.

What just happened there is that you made a mistake (you thought "Torah" wasn't in the Bible). This is simply an honest mistake.
Having realised this, you could have said "Haha, that was silly of me, thanks for explaining it".
Or, you could instead pretend that those who pointed out the facts were being mean and just ganging up on you.

Seriously man, what's up? What's really going on in your life, or in your head, that makes you so afraid of being seen as being wrong? I really do say this in love. I've seen men who are just like you - so afraid of correction that they run away from anyone who sees through their facade and points out their faults, and it is a personality feature that tends to result in a succession of failed relationships - they put on a great, manly facade, manage to attract a woman, but then the relationship ends up with a predictable set of issues and ultimately fails. Then they think none of it was their fault, it was all hers, and they try to get another woman, the same thing happening all over again.

I'm seeing this insecurity in so much of your writings, that I really want to help. Because it's important for you, it's likely a symptom of something so much bigger.

You could take this post as me being mean, or you could take it as me being genuinely caring and loving. I unfortunately cannot influence how you take it, I can only offer it and pray you take it positively.

Montana don't get so defensive. But I will have to admit as I was reading this to my wife she did chuckled in disbelief that you didn't know what Torah was and claim to be a Christian. But then again we have to sit back and think there was a day when we didn't know what Torah was, neither one of us grew up in a Christian Home in any way shape or form we came to the faith in our adult lives. The sad thing about all of the secular churches today is they don't want to teach their congregation the basics basic Bible 101, study to show thyself approved. They just want their congregation to look up to them as they use these highly sophisticated words for the Heavenly father's name such as Yahweh but then some people like me and my fellow Torah observant brother's use it we're somehow weird. Anyhow take a chill pill relax drink a cup of joe well in your case a glass of wine lol. If there's one thing I've noticed from reading the posts here is the brethren here really do care. Shalom

I would now like to also welcome @PeteR to the moderation team. He has earned the respect of many people in his time on the forum, and I am grateful that he is willing to step into this role. I am particularly grateful that he is willing to assist here, given his existing commitments to ministry elsewhere. I look forward to working alongside him.

Back