• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Dating for a polygamous man

Hmmm seems like we have a huge problem at this end!

Thanks to everyone for all your input. I hope to get more comments about the other issues that I specified in my posts.

Maybe the other men can make comment about what is the best procedure on how to pursue and date a prospective sisterwife?

Many thanks again to all.

inquisitive one said:
Hmmm seems like we have a huge problem at this end!
What problem?

With the issues you are raising, it makes me wonder where you are looking for a second wife. Are you so desperate to find one that you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel and finding only really seriously troubled individuals who are interested in polygyny simply because they are keen on trying alternative lifestyles, and in their pursuit of the "alternative" have ended up with a whole host of problems? Maybe you're looking too hard, and in the wrong places.

If you want to find a wife, pray. Lots. And wait on God. If He wants you to marry another, He can bring her along in His timing, and in a way you never expected. She may have some problems that God intends you to help her through, but hopefully they won't be as serious as some of the issues you have been raising.

I am getting a lot of good feedback from Following him and a couple of other people but in the name of fairness and balance i really would appreciate input from more people. Thank you all for your time it is truly appreciated and making a huge difference and opening up more discussion between my spouse and myself which is helping imensley

I've been out of the dating scene for a long time and things have changed so much. I need all the help and advice that I can get.

Hi Following him

No im not desperate. Just trying to see and love everyone as God does. We are all equal in his eyes are we not? I'm trying to be a good Christian and if that means rescuing a woman/girl from a bad life/situation/ choices and taking her as my wife and into a loving home and family. Showing her a better way, providing her with a good life and bringing her to know God, Is that not a good Christan thing to do?

I would also like some feedback on what is considered too young an age for a man in his 50's to be pursuing? Does age really matter?

When is it apropriate to talk about sexual attraction? I don't want to be dating someone who is not sexually attracted to me afterall intimacy is an important part of marriage. I have dated girls in the past that just want to date and are not really intersted in me sexually. I'm getting older now and don't want to waste my time on women who are just playing around with my feelings.

Is it considerd apropriate to be discussing sexual likes, dislikes and desires before getting engaged or married? I don't want either of us to be disappointed. When would it be considered appropriate?

Again, thank you all so so much

a lot of us feel that the answers that you are recieving are totaly satisfactory and feel no need to make additional comments. take some time to digest what thy have said to you.

if the fellers that are posting were disagreed with in any way, rest assured that it would be posted.

inquisitive one said:
No im not desperate. Just trying to see and love everyone as God does. We are all equal in his eyes are we not? I'm trying to be a good Christian and if that means rescuing a woman/girl from a bad life/situation/ choices and taking her as my wife and into a loving home and family. Showing her a better way, providing her with a good life and bringing her to know God, Is that not a good Christan thing to do?
Yes, that is a good attitude. However you don't need to worry about finding out the answer to every potential issue that such a woman might have. You could worry for ever, but in the end when God gives you a second wife she will have one life, with a few issues. You can figure out what He intends you to do about those issues then. I'd relax a bit.
I would also like some feedback on what is considered too young an age for a man in his 50's to be pursuing? Does age really matter?
My opinion: It doesn't matter. But if she's more than 20 years younger than you you'll get far more questions and strange looks than you really want! However, it is God's decision who He gives you, not your own. Again, I wouldn't stress about this.
Is it considerd apropriate to be discussing sexual likes, dislikes and desires before getting engaged or married? I don't want either of us to be disappointed. When would it be considered appropriate?
My opinion again: I really don't think this needs to be discussed until you're on the point of asking her to marry you. Discussing this too early just opens the door for thinking about it too much, and possibly doing something you regret.

I second Samuel's remarks...

Thankyou again Followinghim

The age thing is a bit of a problem because of my interest in girls around 18 years old. I'm in my 50' and my spouse is in her 40's. My spouse has a big problem with accepting someone so young into the family. I think in part because our own children are around that age too as well as you say, comments other people may make including family and friends and what they think. I don't think that my spouse has any issues about competition with a much younger wife. But should all that really matter?

I'm trying to do the right thing by everyone and it's so difficult some times. I don't want to hurt anyone.

inquisitive one said:
Thankyou again Followinghim

The age thing is a bit of a problem because of my interest in girls around 18 years old. I'm in my 50' and my spouse is in her 40's. My spouse has a big problem with accepting someone so young into the family. I think in part because our own children are around that age too as well as you say, comments other people may make including family and friends and what they think. I don't think that my spouse has any issues about competition with a much younger wife. But should all that really matter?

I'm trying to do the right thing by everyone and it's so difficult some times. I don't want to hurt anyone.

I would question why you have a interest in women around the same age as your own children? Don't you think that a young woman's attraction and desires should come into it also? Also, imagine what is going to happen in 10 years, 20? She would still be a relatively young woman and you will look like her grandfather. PM is hard enough as it is, without the spectre of ephebophilia hanging over it. Whichever way you look at it and no matter how mature the young lady, there would still be an obvious power imbalance and that rightly, makes people feel uneasy, especially if she has very little to no independent life experience.
Stick to women in your own age group, if you can't just stick to fantasy, this lifestyle has enough trouble without it looking like middle-aged men are collecting teenagers. Too close to the FLDS for my liking.

B

Thanks Isabelle

My interest isn't solely in 18 year old girls/women. It is just that I have found some of this age that I like and am interested in as well as some in their early to mid 20's .

My thoughts are to take a young woman from a bad sitution in life, love her, give her an opportunity for a better life and family and the chance to do something with her life and better herself. I hope that in return she would look after myself and my spouse in our later years of life.

Aaaggghhhh, help, forgive me, I cannot resist the urge to post any longer...

inquisitive one said:
The age thing is a bit of a problem because of my interest in girls around 18 years old. I'm in my 50' and my spouse is in her 40's.

One of the most classic posts I have ever read here!

Train wreck, Titanic maiden voyage, All in the valley of death rode the 600, etc

ylop

Isn't that one of the things people have children for? I am long past 20, but I can assure you, as a woman who was once younger, I would have preferred to marry for love, not for advancement and certainly not so I could look after an elderly husband. Woman on the whole tend to be a bit more romantic than that, we don't want an exchange of services. Most would prefer to struggle than marry for convenience. And as harsh as it sounds, only incredibly wealthy men who could not care less (sometimes) that the women who marry them are shallow and marry for money, do not expect same shallow women to wipe drool off their chins in their dotage. They can afford a nurse for that. Why would any 18 year old find a man older than their fathers attractive?

I get it, you find teenagers attractive but please do not insult us by pretending you are doing them a favour because there are a great many 30+40+ single mothers who are struggling and I can tell you one thing, they have a lot less opportunities than a fresh faced 18 year old.

It is just a pipe dream.

B

Thanks for your post ylop its very much appreciated. Please be assured, everyonses posts no matter what they say are making a tremendous difference

inquisitive one said:
My thoughts are to take a young woman from a bad sitution in life, love her, give her an opportunity for a better life and family and the chance to do something with her life and better herself. I hope that in return she would look after myself and my spouse in our later years of life.

With apologies to Inquisitive one, Sir BumbleBerry read this over my shoulder, started giggling, and announced that it was a wildlife rehabilitation thang: Adopt-A-Fox!

inquisitive one said:
Thankyou again FollowinghimThe age thing is a bit of a problem because of my interest in girls around 18 years old.

This is nothing immoral about this per se. There is no Bible verse listing the acceptable age gaps or anything like that. However, there realities in that situation that must be dealt with. You are apparently already experiencing this.

That is as long as she is 18 or over. When you say "around 18" if you are including ladies younger than 18, and below the legal age of consent then you are playing with fire and are sure to get yourself into trouble.

inquisitive one said:

True. It is not easy.

Isabella said:
Whichever way you look at it and no matter how mature the young lady, there would still be an obvious power imbalance and that rightly, makes people feel uneasy,...

I am not sure why. Novels are filled with relationships between people with power imbalances ("Pride and Prejudice", etc). It seems to be part of the human experience.

cnystrom said:
Isabella said:
Whichever way you look at it and no matter how mature the young lady, there would still be an obvious power imbalance and that rightly, makes people feel uneasy,...

I am not sure why. Novels are filled with relationships between people with power imbalances ("Pride and Prejudice", etc). It seems to be part of the human experience.

P&P took place at a time where the Class system was a major power imbalance true, but the point was despite the Pride and Prejudice of the two protagonists they were actually intellectual equals.

This is certainly not the case in our modern day, firstly because we have a 'teenage' life cycle, something that did not exist in 1800. You went straight from girlhood to womanhood with very little buffer in between. Even so, Jane Austen herself was scathing of intellectual power inbalance, especially if someone marries for money/situation and it is always portrayed as disastrous, bad or tragic (Charlotte/Mr.&Mrs.Bennet P&P, Mr. Elton Emma Sir Elliot Persuasion Maria Mansfield Park or even Isabella's attempt in Northanger Abbey ).

Now in present days we have a teenage culture and therefore an extended childhood, we expect or at least hope that our daughters, make not only a good, healthy marriage based upon love (not money) but marry when they are ready for marriage, with no regrets that they did not do anything else they wanted to beforehand which might lead to problems later, in other words, we (I speak in general though I am sure many people here might disagree) hoe our daughters marry when they are ready for marriage and not before.
Therefore, the idea that not only is this already an age imbalance from two people experiencing vastly different lifecycle cultures (really am not sure what a modern day 18 year old and 50+ have in common besides being human and possibly from the same country) we have a situation where the same woman would be disadvantaged in life (2nd power imbalance) therefore possibly financially dependant, will also have no legal rights because she is being brought into a Polygamous situation with a married couple (3rd power imbalance), this would have major implications on her life if she has children especially. If, for any reason she is unhappy (and believe me, if she is 18 and has a rapidly ageing husband who she is not sexually attracted to, that could be quicker than one expects, gratitude only takes you so far) they power imbalance of age and position means she could be easily persuaded to accept less than what she is expected to have by both the older husband and the older sisterwife. Who is to say there would be any parity in this situation at all, her SW would see her as a kid (especially if she has children close in age to her) and who wants another child forced upon you when you expect to have a friend?
It would be all too easy to treat a teenage sw not like an equal in the home but as a child of the home, which creates conflict.

She may want to leave but finds she cannot because her situation is even more disadvantaged than it was previously and they then would have no rights to any support for themselves, they will more than likely lose their home and the home of their children.

Marriage doesn't help 18 year olds get there act together, better parenting does. I personally know many women of the 35+ age range, some with children, some whose children are grown, who are finding life difficult or just plain lonely after years of being single who not only want to be sisterwives but they would be of parity of age between all parties concerned, an older woman would have more life experience to know what she wants and what she is getting into, Her husband would be a husband to her and not a substitute father figure (ewwwwww) and they are more likely to grow together, with less resentment that the husband is now getting creaky and can't keep up. Also, he is less likely to be mistaken for her dad. A 40 year old single mother on a low wage with a pubescent boy desperate for a male role model is vastly more in need for marriage to a man in his 50s than an 18 year old.

Maybe you just have to be a woman to get this but, to me, this looks like a (bad) justification to get the kind of women the OP is specifically sexually interested in (what is around 18 anyway? is it 16 or is it 20? Either way, it is easily an age of a child he could have already fathered which just looks really bad) rather than a true desire to do what is best for any teenager in need, want to help a teen, be a foster parent, don't marry them in a Polygamous marriage where they are greatly disadvantaged and have no legal protection.

B

You have used words that seem to indicate a bit of a white knight hero scenario rather than marrying for love. As if the woman needs to be rescued. Regardless of whether or not that is fact, this type of situation seems a ripe setup for failure, and possibly that you are moving too quickly.
Slow down.
Women up to mid to late twenties are still trying to figure out who and what they are and start hitting their stride around late 20's early 30's. I would hope that you are looking to fill the role of husband rather than savior/father figure. You do seem to have noble goals, just be cautious that they are not overridden by a sense of false urgency. Set yourself up for success, proceed slowly making sure that both you and your family are truly prepared as you move down the road on this journey. Focus on loving what you have and continue to hang out here!

as much as i am attracted to sweet young things, you are living in a fantasy.

now if a ridiculously young thang walked up to me and said: "Whither thou goest, i will go. Your God shall be my God and your bed shall be my bed." what could i do? i mean, i am not cruel. couldn't kick her out in the snow, poor thing!
but i sure ain't looking at every 18yr old with hopefull eyes. (just the pretty ones) :lol:

hmm, it seems that sir g. bumbleberry has been at it again!

but anyway, get over the fantasy and look around you at real life. teach your kids that it is their job to look after you when you are in your dottage, after all, they owe you. the syt that you rescued from a state of youth and growing up would be sentenced to hard labor unfairly.

yes, youth is misspent on the young. but we deserve it even less having misspent our own.

Back