• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Dear Sons-in-law....

We do live in a modern would. If a father raises a daughter right, she will make the right choice.
I agree @Cap. That said my dad was not as outspoken about things as my mom was.
My mom told my sisters and I that the purpose of "dating" was to find a partner. She also said you marry those you date.
I was very serious. I turned a young man down once for a first date in part because I did not feel he was hubby material. (The other part was I hated the modern high school dance scene)
I prayed at 14 and told YHWH I didn't want to do the going out and breaking up, I just wanted to wait for the right one....meaning who He had for me.

My dad got up at our wedding and told everyone he had prayed George into my life. I remember thinking "I did too!!" My dad totally trusted my judgment. But he had also met George and approved from the start.

My other four sisters all dated some, one dated for 8 years before marrying. They all have good marriages.

My sis in law has a wonderful hubby that she found with God's help. He wasn't even a believer but is now. Good man too.

Any of us might narrow the search perimeters too much and miss a good thing in trying to find the caliber of partner we are hoping for. Trusting YHWH and seeking His perfect will for us is the best plan for success I know of.

We do live in a modern would. If a father raises a daughter right, she will make the right choice.

If she is raised right she won't attempt to make her own choice apart from her fathers wishes. What you are saying is that because of culture we can't do it biblically. This is false.

If she is raised right she won't attempt to make her own choice apart from her fathers wishes. What you are saying is that because of culture we can't do it biblically. This is false.

Sorry you don't understand what I am saying, we are to bring the biblical way we each live into the lives of those who are in the culture we live in. Being a part of the culture she is in helps her decide what is right or wrong. Hiding from the ways of culture is a disservice to her. If she is a curious individual she will test things and wonder why her parents left it out. Having faith in God also extends to our ability to raise our children. He is the true Father, He knows what's best for our children. They are His really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having lost my children after raising them in a believing home and shelling out cubic dollars for private schooling, I applaud the determination to provide solid, possibly seen as controlling, guidance for the offspring.
I would rather they were pissed at us for trying too hard than happily sailing towards the nether regions while judging us for not being ecumenical enough.

Having lost my children after raising them in a believing home and shelling out cubic dollars for private schooling, I applaud the determination to provide solid, possibly seen as controlling, guidance for the offspring.
I would rather they were pissed at us for trying too hard than happily sailing towards the nether regions while judging us for not being ecumenical enough.
Nevermind the fact that we will stand before the Almighty and give account, whether trying to hold them closer to righteous training or allowing them to experience/interact with the world.

I'd go back and tighten the reins if I had the chance... and, most think I was too tight as it is...

I'd go back and tighten the reins if I had the chance... and, most think I was too tight as it is...
Yup.
If the world approves, you are probably doing it wrong.

If a father raises a daughter right, she will make the right choice.

While there are always exceptions, the typical results all around us have proven that to be the height of foolishness.

I'm not interested in surrender to the modern world, I'm interested in forging a new one.

I couldn't marry my first wife without her fathers assent; so is it for my daughters. And if I find a second wife from such a home I would consider it the heighth of blessing.

I agree @Cap. That said my dad was not as outspoken about things as my mom was.
My mom told my sisters and I that the purpose of "dating" was to find a partner. She also said you marry those you date.
I was very serious. I turned a young man down once for a first date in part because I did not feel he was hubby material. (The other part was I hated the modern high school dance scene)
I prayed at 14 and told YHWH I didn't want to do the going out and breaking up, I just wanted to wait for the right one....meaning who He had for me.

My dad got up at our wedding and told everyone he had prayed George into my life. I remember thinking "I did too!!" My dad totally trusted my judgment. But he had also met George and approved from the start.

My other four sisters all dated some, one dated for 8 years before marrying. They all have good marriages.

My sis in law has a wonderful hubby that she found with God's help. He wasn't even a believer but is now. Good man too.

Any of us might narrow the search perimeters too much and miss a good thing in trying to find the caliber of partner we are hoping for. Trusting YHWH and seeking His perfect will for us is the best plan for success I know of.
Now don’t be rejecting the dance scene out of hand, done correctly ballroom is completely patriarchal.

Now don’t be rejecting the dance scene out of hand, done correctly ballroom is completely patriarchal.
I like dancing. I grew up dancing with my dad. I like contra, and ballroom is fine. Our children like country, folk, and ballroom dancing.

What I did NOT like was Madonna and other 80's rock music blasting loud enough to give me hearing damage!

Back