• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Disney's Frozen

tps26

Male
While Disney's Frozen, like most of their movies, has feminist overtones, I can't help but notice the lyrics in some of the songs are especially poignant in relation to PM. After all, the movie is about sisterhood; potentially destructive in isolation, but powerful together as a team.

As the introductory song by the men says:

So cut through the heart, cold and clear
Strike for love and strike for fear
See the beauty, sharp and sheer
Split the ice apart!
And break the frozen heart.

Elsa can be allegorically seen as a wife or future additional wife that is opposed to PM. She would rather be alone and in turmoil than face the challenges of her life head on with her sister by her side. She thinks she is free, but it is only because she is alone and has shut everyone else out.
Consider her soliloquy:

The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen
A kingdom of isolation
And it looks like I'm the queen

The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn't keep it in, heaven knows I've tried
Don't let them in, don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
Well, now they know

Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway

It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all (because she's alone)
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
(!)
I'm free (alone)

Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You'll never see me cry
Here I stand and here I stay
Let the storm rage on
(she is unconcerned with the damage she is doing to others)

My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I'm never going back, the past is in the past

Let it go
Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone
Here I stand in the light of day
Let the storm rage on

Anna on the other hand is the encouraging wife. She knows what can be accomplished if Elsa changes her heart. She will stop at nothing to bring Elsa around. Elsa thinks she has good intentions but ends up hurting Anna -ultimately Elsa's denial could destroy both of them. Consider Anna's attempt to bring Elsa around:

You don't have to protect me I'm not afraid
Please don't shut me out again,
Please don't slam the door
You don't have to keep your distance anymore

'Cause for the first time in forever
I finally understand
For the first time in forever
We can fix this hand in hand

We can head down this mountain together
You don't have to live in fear
'Cause for the first time in forever,
I will be right here

Anna,
Please go back home, your life awaits
Go enjoy the sun and open up the gates

Yeah, but -

I know
You mean well, but leave me be
Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free
Just stay away and you'll be safe from me

[At this point they go back and forth]

[Anna] Actually we're not

[Elsa] What do you mean you're not?

I get the feeling you don't know

What do I not know?

Arendelle's in deep, deep, deep, deep snow

What?

You've kind of set off an eternal winter... everywhere

Everywhere?

It's okay, you can just unfreeze it

No, I can't, I - I don't know how!

Sure you can! I know you can!

Oh I'm such a fool, I can't be free!

You don't have to be afraid

No escape from the storm inside of me!

We can work this out together

I can't control the curse!

We'll reverse the storm you've made

Ohhhh, Anna, please, you'll only make it worse!

Don't panic

There's so much fear!

We'll make the sun shine bright

You're not safe here!

We can face this thing together

Oh!

We can change this winter weather

AHHHHH...

And everything will be alright...

I CAN'T!

(Spoiler: she does)

Kristoff is the man that guides them together to thaw Elsa's heart. Ultimately though, Elsa will have to submit her own will to change her heart, undo the damage she has done to her sister, and end all the destruction she has wrought.

I know it's a loose allegory, but I think there are some teaching points to use in a movie that most of our girls love.

While Disney's Frozen, like most of their movies, has feminist overtones, I can't help but notice the lyrics in some of the songs are especially poignant in relation to PM. After all, the movie is about sisterhood; potentially destructive in isolation, but powerful together as a team.

As the introductory song by the men says:

So cut through the heart, cold and clear
Strike for love and strike for fear
See the beauty, sharp and sheer
Split the ice apart!
And break the frozen heart.

Elsa can be allegorically seen as a wife or future additional wife that is opposed to PM. She would rather be alone and in turmoil than face the challenges of her life head on with her sister by her side. She thinks she is free, but it is only because she is alone and has shut everyone else out.
Consider her soliloquy:

The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen
A kingdom of isolation
And it looks like I'm the queen

The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn't keep it in, heaven knows I've tried
Well, now they know

Let it go, let it go
Let it go, let it go
Let the storm rage on

It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all (because she's alone)
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
(!)
I'm free (alone)

Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You'll never see me cry
Here I stand and here I stay
Let the storm rage on
(she is unconcerned with the damage she is doing to others)

My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I'm never going back, the past is in the past

Let it go
Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone
Here I stand in the light of day
Let the storm rage on

Anna on the other hand is the encouraging wife. She knows what can be accomplished if Elsa changes her heart. She will stop at nothing to bring Elsa around. Elsa thinks she has good intentions but ends up hurting Anna -ultimately Elsa's denial could destroy both of them. Consider Anna's attempt to bring Elsa around:

You don't have to protect me I'm not afraid
Please don't shut me out again,
Please don't slam the door
You don't have to keep your distance anymore

'Cause for the first time in forever
I finally understand
For the first time in forever
We can fix this hand in hand

We can head down this mountain together
You don't have to live in fear
I will be right here

Anna,
Please go back home, your life awaits
Go enjoy the sun and open up the gates

Yeah, but -

I know
You mean well, but leave me be
Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free
Just stay away and you'll be safe from me

[At this point they go back and forth]

[Anna] Actually we're not

[Elsa] What do you mean you're not?

I get the feeling you don't know

What do I not know?

Arendelle's in deep, deep, deep, deep snow

What?

You've kind of set off an eternal winter... everywhere

Everywhere?

It's okay, you can just unfreeze it

No, I can't, I - I don't know how!

Sure you can! I know you can!

Oh I'm such a fool, I can't be free!

You don't have to be afraid

No escape from the storm inside of me!

We can work this out together

I can't control the curse!

We'll reverse the storm you've made

Ohhhh, Anna, please, you'll only make it worse!

Don't panic

There's so much fear!

We'll make the sun shine bright

You're not safe here!

We can face this thing together

Oh!

We can change this winter weather

AHHHHH...

And everything will be alright...

I CAN'T!

(Spoiler: she does)

Kristoff is the man that guides them together to thaw Elsa's heart. Ultimately though, Elsa will have to submit her own will to change her heart, undo the damage she has done to her sister, and end all the destruction she has wrought.

I know it's a loose allegory, but I think there are some teaching points to use in a movie that most of our girls love.
That’s an awesome analysis!

It's a nice gloss but I can't stand this song. Not after I realized how much of a satanic anthem to abandoning virtue and sinning freely it is.

Well, now they know

Let it go, let it go
Let it go, let it go
Let the storm rage on

No right, no wrong, no rules for me (!)
I'm free

@tps26 I find it very interesting your perspective of this song. It only reminds me that God can use anything to get us thinking, or even just talk to us thru it. I am not saying you shouldn't "see" this song as you have described but it came off as something to be concerned about to me. Disney has made it no secret that they have an agenda to make LGBT relationships seem normal and righteous. It has been awhile since I have seen it but my memories are of too many dual meanings about love. Sister love/ Lesbian love. I also agree with @rockfox that the Let It Go song was subliminally about finally being free from parental authority or doing the right thing, to doing what I want. I know they showed in the end that she did need to have self discipline/responsibility for her powers but it was wrapped up in the "murky" love of her sister (granted, I might be reading into things to much). Like I said, it has been awhile since I have seen the movie. These are just the lingering thoughts in my head about it. There is SO much in society being told to girls that says don't trust men or parents. The ironic thing is that other females are what is left. You must have a gang of Best Friends that can't be lived without OR say they are Bitches and can't be trusted. It is just crazy out there!

Yeah, they kill off the parents in the first few minutes... There are multiple disconcerting themes. I am certainly not trying to redeem this movie, however, I find when you are confronted with something bad you can engage in it, run away from it, or teach from it - which is essentially going on the offensive. It's good to identify the subversive elements in these movies, and the more I listened to "let it go", the more I realized how messed up it is in the way it is packaged, and also eerily reminiscent of what some here have called "first wife syndrome".

As I came to grips with the consequences of my polygamous beliefs, as my second relationship was crashing, "Let it Go" came to mean a great deal to me.

Every interpretation of art is personal, and to me that song became all about hiding my beliefs about PM, so my family wouldn't suffer punishment, job loss, and worse. I longed to be able to be completely public, completely true to my PM beliefs. It encouraged me to find those places in my life where I could step out, and I've tried to make the most of that.

So for me this is a positive song of encouragement.

As I came to grips with the consequences of my polygamous beliefs, as my second relationship was crashing, "Let it Go" came to mean a great deal to me.

Every interpretation of art is personal, and to me that song became all about hiding my beliefs about PM, so my family wouldn't suffer punishment, job loss, and worse. I longed to be able to be completely public, completely true to my PM beliefs. It encouraged me to find those places in my life where I could step out, and I've tried to make the most of that.

So for me this is a positive song of encouragement.
I agree. The arts are open to personal interpretation. After we finally came to grips with the reality of PM, my wife saw the first wife/second struggle within the Frozen characters. I guess the song can be seen as encouraging throwing off inhibitions and opening up to sin, but that's not the vibe I got. I thought it more about what @tps26 described.

@julieb I agree about the lesbian overtones. I was sort of forced to watch the movie. I'm not really an animation lover. When I saw it, I saw the same thing. But, if they hadn't been biological sisters...I could totally see that aspect.

I resisted watching this movie for a long time. I finally saw it recently and it wasn’t as bad as I had feared. It still wasn’t great though.

That is the nature of propaganda, it works best when it's not too bad, when it mixes in a lot of truth, when it isn't too offensive. That this song lends itself to good interpretations only makes it worse; all the better for it to communicate it's libertine mind virus.

It only reminds me that God can use anything to get us thinking, or even just talk to us thru it. I am not saying you shouldn't "see" this song as you have described but it came off as something to be concerned about to me.

I can relate to much of your post @julieb.
For a long time I've considered the "message" of movies and what is written or acted between the lines

There is SO much in society being told to girls that says don't trust men or parents.

One movie that hit me really hard with that cannot trust even your hubby vibe was "True Lies" with Ashley Judd.

Disney has made it no secret that they have an agenda to make LGBT relationships seem normal and righteous.
This is because the secular/imposter Jews/movie moguls that are Edomite/Kazars are practicing the doctrine of Baalam on our nation (get God's people to sin so you can conquer them). Revelation mentions this as something God has against them.

Every interpretation of art is personal...

One of my favorite movies is Alice in Wonderland (the one with Johnny Depp as the hatter) because of the parallels I see to the book of Revelation and the world players. Even though her dream/nightmare is disturbing, so are a lot of the prophetic visions in scripture. I find it encouraging because I look forward to the coming judgment on the Red Queen (Mystery Babylon the great)
I am certainly not trying to redeem this movie, however, I find when you are confronted with something bad you can engage in it, run away from it, or teach from it - which is essentially going on the offensive.
This is pretty much the approach my mom took with my sisters and I regarding movies, and I like to do the same. I talk about our views and criticise the plot, choices the actors made etc. which can help children learn to "see" the subliminal programming too. It is one way to let young adults get some exposure so they can interact out there "in the world" but help them keep from becoming "of the world" themselves.

I deliberately showed my older children The Matrix to allow a discussion on the nature of reality, that the spiritual is more real than the physical, why God and angels can do supernatural things in the physical world etc. That movie can be spun into a fantastic sermon - but was not intended to give that message.

Also, there is only one movie that has any value for such purposes. As XKCD explained:
matrix_revisited.png

I deliberately showed my older children The Matrix to allow a discussion on the nature of reality, that the spiritual is more real than the physical, why God and angels can do supernatural things in the physical world etc. That movie can be spun into a fantastic sermon - but was not intended to give that message.

So you think we live in a simulation?

Not exactly. However, it is a useful analogy. This world we live in was created by God, who sets the rules and upholds it himself. As the creator of its rules, He can follow them (natural acts) or disobey them (supernatural acts) however He likes. We however are within the created world and are subject to its rules. Also, the world beyond this one, the spiritual, is more real and important than the physical. There are a lot of interesting points to be made on this, but I'll make them elsewhere if you're interested so as not to detract from this thread.

Basically it's a good analogy for the same reason that the potter and the clay is a good analogy. It's just more contemporary.

Not exactly. However, it is a useful analogy. This world we live in was created by God, who sets the rules and upholds it himself. As the creator of its rules, He can follow them (natural acts) or disobey them (supernatural acts) however He likes. We however are within the created world and are subject to its rules. Also, the world beyond this one, the spiritual, is more real and important than the physical. There are a lot of interesting points to be made on this, but I'll make them elsewhere if you're interested so as not to detract from this thread.

Basically it's a good analogy for the same reason that the potter and the clay is a good analogy. It's just more contemporary.

I'm curious where you get the more real part. The physical and the spiritual are both real, just different.

Oh no, the corporeal world we perceive is very fake. In this tiny little bubble it is possible to not know or obey God, it is an unnatural state that only lasts for a little while.
Yup
It was amazing to watch Creepy Joe not be able to say “Creator” as he quoted from the Preamble to our Constitution.
“....you know, the thing.”

I'm curious where you get the more real part. The physical and the spiritual are both real, just different.
By that I simply mean that the spiritual is most important and eternal. The physical was created by the spiritual, and will be destroyed by the spiritual, it is therefore a temporary creation and subservient to a greater reality. It is easy to think that the physical is real and the spiritual is less important, by this terminology you flip the whole thing upside down to get a better perspective.

Back