• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Divorce and Remarriage - Am I doomed?

Edward feel free to start a new thread on this if you'd like the discussion, It is very easy to show we cannot rely/use the OT on this topic.
There are quite a few already. It's trivial, and some (including myself) who would say it's undeniable, that the Messiah said quite clearly in His first public address, confirming what the Torah and Prophet had already said concerning the criterion for identifying Him, as opposed to imposters, that He would NOT change so much as "one yod or tiddle," at least so long as "heaven and earth" still existed.

BTW, it's those who claim to know better than Him what He should have Written that changed His Word and screwed up marriage, including, but not limited to Monogomania.

There are quite a few already. It's trivial, and some (including myself) who would say it's undeniable, that the Messiah said quite clearly in His first public address, confirming what the Torah and Prophet had already said concerning the criterion for identifying Him, as opposed to imposters, that He would NOT change so much as "one yod or tiddle," at least so long as "heaven and earth" still existed.

BTW, it's those who claim to know better than Him what He should have Written that changed His Word and screwed up marriage, including, but not limited to Monogomania.
Read it more closely:

Fulfillment of the Law
17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

-- Has the law been abolished? No. Has Jesus fulfilled the law? Yes. Is the law still available and present? Yes. Can anyone try and fulfill the law like Jesus did? Yes - since the law is still present. Is Jesus the Creator? Yes - and we can rely on his grace, mercy, and righteousness instead of the works of the law. Therefore, we do not have to fulfill the works of the law -- our amazing Creator did that for us. Our King, Lord, Master, and God (Jesus) instructs us to Love Him and love neighbor like ourselves. Live by the Spirit. If we have the Holy Spirit -- it's the new covenant that we're his, and he's not going to let even one of his sheep his Father drew to him get lost.

The mosaic law is still profitable for training in holiness and righteousness:

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The Mosaic Law is Holy:

Romans 7:12
But still, the law itself is holy, and its commands are holy and right and good.

Last edited:
So is the house of Isreal, who the "New Covenant" is with, doomed? She was divorced, then she whored after other gods.

It was quite the wonder to the Jews (house of Judah) that there were so many prophesies about the return of backsliding Isreal, even though to take her back would "defile the land."

The only fix is for the "husband" to die. But that certainly does not bode well for the Creator to die now would it? Unless He could cheat death without cheating His own Law.

But succeed he did. And so now the Creator is capable of a "New Covenant" which is mainly different only in that Isreal won't abandon it this time around, and she'll actually be obedient to His instructions forever. She learned her lesson on humility and her proper place while being traded from god to god.

For OP, I wouldn't rely on your husband surviving death in quite the same way, so don't rush off to other lovers, but you still learned your lesson on submission to the husband's authority much the same. Would be right beautiful if you could find yourself submitted fully under your husband again. That redemptive story is an extremely powerful witness to the image of the House of Isreal's hope.

Can you guys stop already? This isn't a thread about law vs not law. Start a different thread or better yet, a private message thread.
All I said was BEWARE!! and

I do not wish to derail this topic, but if we are going to give Biblical advice than we need to stick to the WHOLE scriptures, not just New Testament.

Hi Sophia, I just got here and this is my first post. My wife has been reading and commenting on this so I thought why not jump into the deep end and get started on a really sticky subject. From what I’ve read, you’ve given only a very small description of your life and what went on. i Would say that you have sinned against the Lord and you need to be mindful of that first and foremost. Seek repentance with him and let him reconcile you back to him first. The rest will become clear after that. …And, that takes time. you didn’t get to this point quickly, it may take time.

Hi Sophia, I just got here and this is my first post. My wife has been reading and commenting on this so I thought why not jump into the deep end and get started on a really sticky subject. From what I’ve read, you’ve given only a very small description of your life and what went on. i Would say that you have sinned against the Lord and you need to be mindful of that first and foremost. Seek repentance with him and let him reconcile you back to him first. The rest will become clear after that. …And, that takes time. you didn’t get to this point quickly, it may take time.
OK, I look forward to seeing your intro page.

🤦🏾‍♂️

The answer still remains no

I say again

Proverbs 18:13 KJV — He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.

The ORIGINAL question remains the same

Again it is a NO

Confession

Repentance

Attempted reconciliation

Now humbled to obedience of Yah

Some of the comments and suggestions are ludicrous especially not knowing the whole situation

Who is the arbiter of what

Actually means?

Am I ?

Are you ?

Is anyone on this platform?

How do you know that Yah didnt send her to this platform BECAUSE she has already...

"seriously tried"

🤷🏽‍♂️
omg wow

2 years ago I filed divorce for adultery, left my husband for introducing a 2nd wife.
Now. I repented and fully accepted polygyny - but there's no chance of reconciliation, he wouldn't.
I am eager to remarry now, and to open myself to a christian polygynous and traditional marriage, however..

due to some comments in the forum I am learning I may be doomed for life and not be able to remarry. Im freaking out. Is this true?
Isn't the Lord merciful and forgiving?

Please explain, this would change so many things in my life.

Pastor Dowell has some very recent teachings on divorce and remarriage to clarify and dispel all of the confusion surrounding the biblical standard due to false teachings.

The short of it is this:

The purpose of [the bill of] divorce in the Bible is to set a woman free so that she can remarry. Without it, she still belongs to her husband and if she becomes another man's woman in that state she is committing adultery. If your husband granted you the divorce, then you are set free.

You have come to repentance because God has opened your eyes. Rejoice therefore in His mercy. It is the goodness of God that leads us to repentance.

I still recommend watching the teachings and following along in your Bible so you can gain the understanding for yourself to a fuller extent.

This one is from 5/13

This is from 5/20

These are from live services, so if you want to get straight to the teaching, you can skip through the greetings and the praise/worship portion. Once all the musicians leave the stage, a young man steps up to proclaim the 10 commandments then Pastor prays and begins the message.

Bless you sister. May the Truth set you free!

One addendum:

The wife is not supposed to divorce her husband. At the time you left you were in transgression, which you have repented for. At this point, if you have not been with anyone else, your (ex) husband can take you back if he chooses. Attempting to reconcile would be wise. But he is under no obligation to you because you left presumably against his will/desire. And if he does not allow you to be reconciled, then the divorce stands and he has set you free.

This thread still gong eh?
In Matthew 19:6 Jesus says, So they are no longer two, but on flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate. So divorce is verboten.
And in Colossians 7:10-11 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife. …So, yes she can divorce her husband. Although…reasons matter.
Then there is Deuteronomy 24:1-4 stating a husband must issue a certificate of divorce (because of his hardness of heart),
Then Jesus picks up with Matthew 5:32 It has been said that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her a victim of adultery, and one who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Now why would Jesus say that after he already stated not to separate what God has joined together? Probably because the woman in that culture would be left without anyone to care for her (and probably the children) and Israel would be having a crisis. So you have an adulterous woman getting married a second time to an adulterous man (new husband) and Jesus is stating here that the husband who divorce the woman makes her commit adultery. He doesn’t condone it, its just a matter of fact. She needs headship and for her to receive that, whomever marries her next will also be guilty of adultery. …except for sexual immorality (or abandonment), or if the wife divorced her husband, this sin is the fault of the man whom was hard hearted and divorced the woman And sure enough the Lord will deal with him regarding that.
But it gets even better, because the standards of the Old Testament were now to low for the Lord and Jesus raises the bar on everything including the issue of adultery.

Matthew 5:28 …everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Might as well jump over to Matthew 7 Judge not, that you might not be judged. Because a lot of condemnation that’s going to come your way is coming from people that have some explaining to do with the Lord.

Is God not merciful? Yes, God is merciful. Jesus fulfilled the law, paid the price for your sins…past, present and future. Accept his atonement and see where he leads you. Do you think any of this is a surprise to Him?
Am I doomed? Not if you are following Jesus. Definitely not.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who morn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those that hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Blessed re the pure in heart, for they for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peace makers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake, for theirs is the kingdom haven.
Blessed ar you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

And a husband must not divorce his wife. …So, yes she can divorce her husband. Although…reasons matter.
Then there is Deuteronomy 24:1-4 stating a husband must issue a certificate of divorce (because of his hardness of heart),
Ouch! So much wrong in there. Bad translations, "divorce" as an English word, rather than what Scripture talks about (mostly "shalach," but the few differences, such as Deut 24:1-3 are CRUCIAL). All done before, multiple threads, even this one.
Then Jesus picks up with Matthew 5:32 It has been said that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her a victim of adultery, and one who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
No, not even remotely. Even different English renderings make that at least murky.

Matthew 5:28 …everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
No. He said "a wife." (isha) Makes a big difference, doesn't it?

Now why would Jesus say that after he already stated not to separate what God has joined together?
One thing we should know: The Word Made Flesh is NOT contradicting Himself!

Ouch! So much wrong in there. Bad translations, "divorce" as an English word, rather than what Scripture talks about (mostly "shalach," but the few differences, such as Deut 24:1-3 are CRUCIAL). All done before, multiple threads, even this one.

No, not even remotely. Even different English renderings make that at least murky.

Hi Mark, I never said that Jesus contradicted himself.

That is a horrible translation of the text! The word "ποιεῖ " means

1) to make 1a) with the names of things made, to produce, construct, form, fashion, etc. 1b) to be the authors of, the cause 1c) to make ready, to prepare 1d) to produce, bear, shoot forth 1e) to acquire, to provide a thing for one's self 1f) to make a thing out of something 1g) to (make i.e.) render one anything 1g1) to (make i.e.) constitute or appoint one anything, to appoint or ordain one that 1g2) to (make i.e.) declare one anything 1h) to put one forth, to lead him out 1i) to make one do something 1i1) cause one to 1j) to be the authors of a thing (to cause, bring about) 2) to do 2a) to act rightly, do well 2a1) to carry out, to execute 2b) to do a thing unto one 2b1) to do to one 2c) with designation of time: to pass, spend 2d) to celebrate, keep 2d1) to make ready, and so at the same time to institute, the celebration of the passover 2e) to perform: to a promise

The translators of the New NIV went with their Western understanding of the meaning of adultery, rather than a Biblical understanding. The original NIV was more in line with what other translations have always held that to mean.

That is a horrible translation of the text! The word "ποιεῖ " means

1) to make 1a) with the names of things made, to produce, construct, form, fashion, etc. 1b) to be the authors of, the cause 1c) to make ready, to prepare 1d) to produce, bear, shoot forth 1e) to acquire, to provide a thing for one's self 1f) to make a thing out of something 1g) to (make i.e.) render one anything 1g1) to (make i.e.) constitute or appoint one anything, to appoint or ordain one that 1g2) to (make i.e.) declare one anything 1h) to put one forth, to lead him out 1i) to make one do something 1i1) cause one to 1j) to be the authors of a thing (to cause, bring about) 2) to do 2a) to act rightly, do well 2a1) to carry out, to execute 2b) to do a thing unto one 2b1) to do to one 2c) with designation of time: to pass, spend 2d) to celebrate, keep 2d1) to make ready, and so at the same time to institute, the celebration of the passover 2e) to perform: to a promise

The translators of the New NIV went with their Western understanding of the meaning of adultery, rather than a Biblical understanding. The original NIV was more in line with what other translations have always held that to mean.
I’m starting to think you guys aren’t very fond of the ESV. I’m not sure why the translation seems off to you. It’s pretty standard compared to other versions of the Bible...

I like the ESV. Between that and the King James and I‘ve read through a bunch of other versions of the Bible and what Jesus is saying here is consistent in all the other versions I’ve read.

Ok, I’ll put it like this instead…

Mal 2:6
“The man who hates and divorces his wife,” says the LORD, the God of Israel, “does violence to the one he should protect,”[fn] says the LORD Almighty. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful. (King James)

So between The Father (Mal 2:6) and the Son (Matt 5:32) you get a pretty consistent picture.

Anyone who has been through a divorce knows its a brutal process. It doesn’t exactly bring out the best in people. My own divorce was a living Hell and although I am far more blessed with my current wife, I cannot minimize the cursed nightmare that divorce is. It’s as they say, its more like severing a limb than merely separating two individuals.
And God bless those who love Greek and Hebrew. But the word of God can be understood well enough in the English. Pare that with the Holy Spirit and you’re good to go. Add in solid teachers and community for accountability and your going to be alright. I honestly dont imagine the Lord being very pleased about everyone squabbling over their translation of the Bible while shaming others. Not so much in the Love your neighbour as yourself category. Don’t get me wrong, Im all for accuracy (part of the reason I am here) but it’s important to know the Fathers heart and seek after that first.

Last edited:

Mark C, You’re right on the (isha) bit. That does make a big difference.

And God bless those who love Greek and Hebrew. But the word of God can be understood well enough in the English. Pare that with the Holy Spirit and you’re good to go. Add in solid teachers and community for accountability and your going to be alright. I honestly dont imagine the Lord being very pleased about everyone squabbling over their translation of the Bible while shaming others. Not so much in the Love your neighbour as yourself category. Don’t get me wrong, Im all for accuracy (part of the reason I am here) but it’s important to know the Fathers heart and seek after that first.
I like the Tyndale translation. It is my new fave! I don't like to squabble, but when I first came across that interpretation, I knew it was due to modern translators trying to make sense out of that passage, without fully understanding that women having more than one husband, is what is consistently condemned throughout Scripture. As you can see, most translations actually got that one right.

Back