• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Divorce: Are all unions ordained by God in the first place?

C

Cap

Posts moved from this original thread.

One has to consider the possibility that some, if not a lot of so called marriages are not a Godly union designed to fit the two become one pattern. They are tools to bring someone closer to God in faith. Once a union NOT designed by God is broken by mistrust there is no need to go back. Being infidelity is the real reason for the separation, the husband doesn't have to take an ex wife back. There is a real thing of spiritual adultery.

Last edited by a moderator:
One has to consider the possibility that some, if not a lot of so called marriages are not a Godly union designed to fit the two become one pattern. They are tools to bring someone closer to God in faith. Once a union NOT designed by God is broken by mistrust there is no need to go back. Being infidelity is the real reason for the separation, the husband doesn't have to take an ex wife back. There is a real thing of spiritual adultery.
I disagree.
There is no parsing of whether Yah designed it or not.
Marriage is marriage.

I lost my first wife to divorce a lifetime ago.
Although it was me that did the filing, it was she that made the decision that we could not live together. I, plain and simple, gave up.
Had I known then half of what I know today I could have rescued the situation.
She always was and is a good person, she just received really bad counsel from friends and a professional.

I disagree.
There is no parsing of whether Yah designed it or not.
Marriage is marriage.

Then you have to go down the road of what defines a marriage in God's eyes. How can a man separate what God joined together?

Although it was me that did the filing, it was she that made the decision that we could not live together. I, plain and simple, gave up.
She always was and is a good person, she just received really bad counsel from friends and a professional.

Then that makes you responsible for the separation. Good thing God forgives are we all would be in a bad place.

Then you have to go down the road of what defines a marriage in God's eyes. How can a man separate what God joined together?
We are instructed not to separate what He has joined together. We are not told it is impossible for us to separate it. Rather, the fact that we are told not to shows that we can separate it - and therefore need to be told not to.
Which also means that, once separated, although the separation may not have been His will, it is still real.

Yes for hardness of heart he allowed divorce, but yet how can man overrule God's sovereign design for union unless it was fore designed not to be joined. Which then makes it a union not by God's enternal design. Everything that happens is God's will and we decieve ourself thinking we are in control.

Who chose you too follow God, you or God?

Last edited by a moderator:

@steve, is your first wife free to marry again by your mistake?

Yes for hardness of heart he allowed divorce, but yet how can man overrule God's sovereign design for union unless it was fore designed not to be joined.

There is an assumption in this question that God foreordained every marriage. This is not the only possible option.

The other option is that what we bind on earth, God binds in heaven. His binding is a reactive binding that is based on what we bind . . . Or loose.

Please do not turn this into yet another debate on divorce. The intention of this thread is to serve as a resource to help men cope with divorce.

There is an assumption in this question that God foreordained every marriage. This is not the only possible option.

The other option is that what we bind on earth, God binds in heaven. His binding is a reactive binding that is based on what we bind . . . Or loose.

So you are saying that God is reactive to what we do? We are gods? What we bind or loose in heaven and on earth is what we do to ourselves, and God allows for His purpose, and corrects for His purpose as well.

Please do not turn this into yet another debate on divorce. The intention of this thread is to serve as a resource to help men cope with divorce.

The best way to cope with divorce is to understand it biblically.

It's not a moot point, it is about what you believe. Some believe she can't remarry, some do. I am wondering your position.
I gave her the get, she could remarry.

So you are saying that God is reactive to what we do? We are gods? What we bind or loose in heaven and on earth is what we do to ourselves, and God allows for His purpose, and corrects for His purpose as well.
Matt 18:18. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say unto you, that if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

I don’t know how you come up with “We are gods?” From what I said.

And yes, God binds what we bind . . . And looses what we loose. In that sense it is reactive, or perhaps he simply records our vows. I don’t buy that God manipulates our choices against our will, but if we allow Him to, he will lead us and guide us and provide for us beyond what we could dream.

We should not break our vows, but if we do, it had better be for justifiable cause. Such as adultery.

Just for clarification, IMO What I posted above would have no effect on Steves situation. Loosing works the same way binding does, provided its mutual. (I.e. two people loosing what two people bound)

I don’t know how you come up with “We are gods?” From what I said. )

I don't believe God is reactive to anything we do. He may allow certain things that may appear we have autonomous choice but in the end all things work for the good God creates, not us.

I gave her the get, she could remarry.

I agree with you that she can remarry, but what's interesting to me is that your statement from you does not raise issue with those who believe she can not remarry. It's water under the bridge.

Why are some biblically different views entertained and some are not?

Due to @rockfox's reminder that this was intended to be a support thread, not a debate on theology, I have shifted this discussion to its own thread. @Cap, I tried to make a relevant title based on the premise of your original post, feel free to suggest a different one and I will change it (or you may find you can, as you're technically the thread author I think since your post is first). Carry on.

I don't believe God is reactive to anything we do. He may allow certain things that may appear we have autonomous choice but in the end all things work for the good God creates, not us.
I do agree that God is sovereign, and it’s obvious that history records many details that show that He is ultimately in control. However the implications associated with a manipulative God and the resulting idea that we are but puppets on a string, while plausible hypothetically, in reality has so many rebuttals in Scripture.

For example Jeremiah 18:7-10
At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it;
If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it;
If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them

Seems pretty reactive to me.

Back