• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Divorce: Are all unions ordained by God in the first place?

I can accept @Keith Martin 's view, and I understand what @steve is implying, however if God created sinners and they sin, and He knows that sinners sin, and accepts it and use it for His purposes, isn't the idea of preordination a given? God's purpose is to remove sin. If God acted on His character of sinlessness then we would have been wiped out long ago, but because of Mercy and Grace He tolerates our sin, for a time, and uses it to move creation to where He wants it to be. Therefore, everything we do is preordained, because He has an outcome He is working towards.
I’ll be Captain Obvious here and say, “Preordination and foreknowledge are not just two words that are spelled differently”

I gave her the get, she could remarry.

How can that be exactly?

It has also been said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, brings adultery upon her. And whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

I cannot take a legalistic stance on a woman not being able to remarry after being divorced in our present society. It abandons too many women who were raised in bad theology.

So that's all it takes to toss out the command? Abandoned? It's not like these women are tossed on the street unable to fend for themselves. Paul didn't seem to think it so bad to not be able to get married...

For I wish that all men were even as I myself....let each one remain with God in that state in which he was called.

It may be that this particular passage is discussing "putting-away" / "separation", not full divorce (with paperwork). If so, then Jesus was saying that marrying a woman who has been separated from her husband but not truly divorced is adultery. That makes complete sense - but introduces other things to consider too. It's a complex issue.

What basis do we have to think that and what problems does it introduce?

I have a hard time believing that given the verse preceding...

It has also been said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, brings adultery upon her. And whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

I’ll be Captain Obvious here and say, “Preordination and foreknowledge are not just two words that are spelled differently”

To understand the two together you have to include the words sovereignty and omniscient, both spelled different but can be combined as far as God is concerned.

I know a woman who never remarried, and she has been divorced for 30 years. She took Rom 7:2-3 seriously. Now she also did not attend two of her daughters weddings, because they were marrying divorced men. If she had only known that the prohibitions against remarriage are primarily aimed at the wife, who knows? She might have gone.

To understand the two together you have to include the words sovereignty and omniscient, both spelled different but can be combined as far as God is concerned.
The fact that God knows everything that’s gonna happen, and could make it happen if he so chooses to, does not mean that he preordained it to happen, or made it happen just because we think he should have, or must have.

It’s a logical leap to think that because he binds it in heaven, that he either approves of it or caused it to happen.

It’s also a way of minimizing the seriousness of the vows by assuming if it didn’t work out that it must have been his will because apparently He didn’t bind the marriage in the beginning. Which leads to the skewed opinion that the dissolution of that marriage is ultimately ok because we must have been out of Gods will to enter it in the first place. We’re actually realigning ourselves with Gods will by dissolving that marriage.

If this ^^^^ is true, then we are not liable for our own choices and the repercussions for those choices. God would be unjust to punish us or hold us accountable for our vows.

There’s just too many logical fallacies in this perspective for me to give it any credibility. But then I have a hard time with anyone that tries to shift the blame instead of ownership of their own failures

It is interesting to me that marrying a divorced woman is still considered adultery, as if the marriage still existed. It is as if a woman getting a divorce does nothing.

Nope marrying a woman who is put away is adultery. Put away and divorce are not the same thing...

The fact that God knows everything that’s gonna happen, and could make it happen if he so chooses to, does not mean that he preordained it to happen, or made it happen just because we think he should have, or must have.

It’s a logical leap to think that because he binds it in heaven, that he either approves of it or caused it to happen.

It’s also a way of minimizing the seriousness of the vows by assuming if it didn’t work out that it must have been his will because apparently He didn’t bind the marriage in the beginning. Which leads to the skewed opinion that the dissolution of that marriage is ultimately ok because we must have been out of Gods will to enter it in the first place. We’re actually realigning ourselves with Gods will by dissolving that marriage.

If this ^^^^ is true, then we are not liable for our own choices and the repercussions for those choices. God would be unjust to punish us or hold us accountable for our vows.

There’s just too many logical fallacies in this perspective for me to give it any credibility. But then I have a hard time with anyone that tries to shift the blame instead of ownership of their own failures

preordination
/priːɔːdɪˈneɪʃ(ə)n/
noun

1. the action of determining an outcome or course of action in advance:

If you read the definition preordination includes with in it an 'action of determination in regards to a set course of action. If time is only relative to us, then everything we do has already been completed according to God. Therefore, what we do is preordained by God and to God. However, to us we don't see it that way. I am trying to understand creation from God's point of view not man's.

preordination
/priːɔːdɪˈneɪʃ(ə)n/
noun

If you read the definition preordination includes with in it an 'action of determination in regards to a set course of action. If time is only relative to us, then everything we do has already been completed according to God. Therefore, what we do is preordained by God and to God. However, to us we don't see it that way. I am trying to understand creation from God's point of view not man's.
There are undoubtedly certain specific events that have been preordained by God to happen. This does not necessarily mean that every individual event is therefore preordained.

Foreknowledge also does not mean that the events are preordained, just preknown. Preordination must, of necessity, involve intent. IF God preordained (or intended) you to do a particular sin, then the fault would lie with God for the sin you commit as you would have no ability to reject or resist an omnipotent God. If he were to then punish you for the sin he had preordained you to do, that would make him an unjust Judge, which he is anything but. The fact that He foreknows your sin does not in any way prove that He has preordained you to that sin or is in any way complicit in its occurrences. This is completely antithetical to the very nature of a righteous God.

. . . For God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: but every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and cometh down from the Father of lights

I know a woman who never remarried, and she has been divorced for 30 years. She took Rom 7:2-3 seriously. Now she also did not attend two of her daughters weddings, because they were marrying divorced men. If she had only known that the prohibitions against remarriage are primarily aimed at the wife, who knows? She might have gone.

I do not think Bible lets the men off that easy. Matthew 19 says that if you divorce your wife and marry another you are committing adultery. That seems a clear teaching that if you divorce your wife you are not supposed to take another. For this reason, I think the only men eligible to take a second wife, must still be married to the first (which is, of course, exactly opposite what our culture teaches).

I would submit that:
God does not need to know everything in advance.
He does not want to know everything in advance,
Freewill is actually free.
All prophecy is conditional whether the conditions are spoken or not.

God changes his mind according to our actions.

He repented that he made man. He did not let those delivered from Egypt enter Canaan, save Joshua and Caleb.
He told Abraham "Now I know". The stories of Jonah and Hezekiah's sundial.
The many "ifs" in scripture all support freewill and do not indicate foreknowledge or predestination.

Yes there are parts of the plan that are predestined but the individuals have freewill to accept or reject the plan. Sowing and reaping is real.
Esau was not destined for hell. Jacob still had to become a follower of the God of Abraham and Isaac or His personal soul would have been lost.

preordination
/priːɔːdɪˈneɪʃ(ə)n/
noun

Exactly. The Bible seems to indicate that God is outside of time.

We have free will, but God already know what we will choose and do. Thus "the elect" and preordained, etc.

God does not need to know everything in advance.
He does not want to know everything in advance,
I firmly believe this, I feel that He actually told me this about a certain situation that I experienced.

There are undoubtedly certain specific events that have been preordained by God to happen. This does not necessarily mean that every individual event is therefore preordained.

Foreknowledge also does not mean that the events are preordained, just preknown. Preordination must, of necessity, involve intent. IF God preordained (or intended) you to do a particular sin, then the fault would lie with God for the sin you commit as you would have no ability to reject or resist an omnipotent God. If he were to then punish you for the sin he had preordained you to do, that would make him an unjust Judge, which he is anything but. The fact that He foreknows your sin does not in any way prove that He has preordained you to that sin or is in any way complicit in its occurrences. This is completely antithetical to the very nature of a righteous God.

. . . For God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: but every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and cometh down from the Father of lights
I agree. The parable of the sower comes to mind. The sower sowed the seed, and it fell on rocky ground, but it was the enemy that came and ate the seeds.

I think this thread is meat.

IF God preordained (or intended) you to do a particular sin, then the fault would lie with God for the sin you commit as you would have no ability to reject or resist an omnipotent God. If he were to then punish you for the sin he had preordained you to do, that would make him an unjust Judge, which he is anything but. The fact that He foreknows your sin does not in any way prove that He has preordained you to that sin or is in any way complicit in its occurrences. This is completely antithetical to the very nature of a righteous God.

Explain to me John 12:40 "He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, lest they see with their eyes, and understand with their heart, and turn, and I would heal them."

If God has blinded some and caused them to be deaf, who is ultimately responsible for thier sin? It does provide intent. Therefore, it could be said that God did preordain them to sin. But God does take credit for it and then offers a solution in His Son, which is stated as a gift and can not be obtained by works, the whole point of Paul's discussion of Grace and works.

The problem here is the idea of eternal hell. An eternal hell makes God unjust, a 'lake of fire' correction places creation in God's hands to do as He has preordained.

Why is it so hard to accept that God is in control of EVERYTHING. Does that make one less of a person? We are told we will eventually become like Christ. If we become like Christ, then we are no longer ourselves, but that seems to be acceptable. I believe the idea of being and desiring to be an autonomous individual separate from God is the core sin we commit.

What's wrong with living a life preordained by God, the Creator of Heaven and Earth and all that in them? Your soul exists because of the physical elements that make up your body. Are you those physical elements? You are your thoughts and your life experience, what difference does it make if the physical elements keep you alive, or the spiritual elements of God progress you through life?

Once you enter a roller coaster the ride is preordained, but you still enjoy it.

Back