• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Divorce license but no Marriage license

The Revolting Man

Staff member
Real Person
Male
It occurred to me recently that there is a mandated document related to marriage, the divorce papers.

If a man is divorcing his wife the. The scriptures require him to give her a document declaring so.

It seems then that if something surrounding marriage requires a document then scripture is willing and able to say so.

Why then are we not told about a need for such a thing in order to form a marriage? And pull back even further, a necessary element related to marriage is clearly laid out, even down to delivery instructions.

Why then aren’t we told how to form a marriage even though we’re told explicitly how to end one?

By the by, the silence around here lately has been deafening. There are so many unanswered propositions on the table that I’m starting to think all of our alleged theologians are only here for the memes and sex monkeys.

Any thoughts?
Also Wife and Woman in Hebrew is the same word.

I think we might need to ask what Marriage is and is it as simple as a Woman living in a man"s house as One?
I personally believe that sex is the sealing of that Marriage. We might say its a Package Deal (Taking a Woman/Wife, commitment before G-d and then dwelling with Him. Could this package deal mean Marriage and One Flesh? and Divorce license/a GET

This idea is very much like (Common Law Marriage) The man must say before G-d "This is my Wife"

Hope this helps!

A “get” is a document Orthodox Jewish men give their wives as the couple is divorcing; it seals the divorce according to religious law, meaning that the husband decides if and when the divorce is final. Without it, the woman cannot move on with her life.Jun 4, 2021

עוֹנָה - Marriage
From an unused root apparently meaning to dwell together
The following spelling is supported by Strongs and Gesenius: עונה.

STRONGS H5772:Abbreviations
† [עוֺנָה] Qr, [עֵינָה] Kt noun feminine only suffix Hosea 10:10: Qr plural עוֺנֹתָם Baer, singular עוֺנָתָם Ginsb; > עֵינֹתָם Kt; but read עֲוֺנֹתָם, see עָוֺן 1a.

† [עֹנָה] noun feminine cohabitation (Late Hebrew עוֺנָה time, also = Biblical Hebrew; possibly response or correspondence, commerce, from above √; or else euphemistic, specific time, SS (compare BaES 17, from √
bdb077301

); Thes from עון dwell); — suffix עֹנָתָהּ Exodus 21:10 (E) i.e. her marriage rights. — Hosea 10:10 see H5771 עָוֺן

Any thoughts?
Also Wife and Woman in Hebrew is the same word.

I think we might need to ask what Marriage is and is it as simple as a Woman living in a man"s house as One?
I personally believe that sex is the sealing of that Marriage. We might say its a Package Deal (Taking a Woman/Wife, commitment before G-d and then dwelling with Him. Could this package deal mean Marriage and One Flesh? and Divorce license/a GET

This idea is very much like (Common Law Marriage) The man must say before G-d "This is my Wife"

Hope this helps!
My thoughts are that we are way over complicating this. We just need to stick with the information we’re given in the Bible. It’s a simple logic train to follow. I’m not sure why everyone gets so derailed over the exceptions and caveats.

It occurred to me recently that there is a mandated document related to marriage, the divorce papers.

If a man is divorcing his wife the. The scriptures require him to give her a document declaring so.

It seems then that if something surrounding marriage requires a document then scripture is willing and able to say so.

Why then are we not told about a need for such a thing in order to form a marriage?
Because a document is not needed to form a marriage covenant.
And pull back even further, a necessary element related to marriage is clearly laid out, even down to delivery instructions.

Why then aren’t we told how to form a marriage even though we’re told explicitly how to end one?

What need is there for a marriage license (biblically) to prove a marriage or covenant between a man and a woman before God?

There is definitely a need for a woman to have a license or document to prove she is released from a prior husband in order that the new husband knows he is not committing adultery by taking her.

A simple "she is my woman." would suffice from a man, and a simple "I am his woman" would suffice as a statement from a woman in any cases where that was questioned or someone needed to know for some reason, if it wasn't already obvious as it generally is in being around people.

Now, that's ignoring completely our modern state and the IRS and medical issues and all sorts of other complications associated with not having a marriage license, but that's besides the point, as it's all unbiblical anyway.

My thoughts are that we are way over complicating this. We just need to stick with the information we’re given in the Bible. It’s a simple logic train to follow. I’m not sure why everyone gets so derailed over the exceptions and caveats.

Here is a Marriage in the simplest form.

A man and woman is on an Island and the man proclaims her as his wife before G-d. (Oral Covenant with G-d)
There is no one else on that Island other than them two so no need in telling people about that marriage.
No document because they are the only two people there and there is never a divorce because he and only he owns everything.
they are Married and have a (Oral Covenant with G-d) and Husband and Wife.

Wives Wedding Pledge: I Surrender everything that I am to you. (But not needed)
Husband Wedding Pledge: I will love you as G-d loves us. (But not needed)

In this case all that needs to happen is The Man Proclaims Ownership before G-d. (Done)

What need is there for a marriage license (biblically) to prove a marriage or covenant between a man and a woman before God?

There is definitely a need for a woman to have a license or document to prove she is released from a prior husband in order that the new husband knows he is not committing adultery by taking her.

A simple "she is my woman." would suffice from a man, and a simple "I am his woman" would suffice as a statement from a woman in any cases where that was questioned or someone needed to know for some reason, if it wasn't already obvious as it generally is in being around people.

Now, that's ignoring completely our modern state and the IRS and medical issues and all sorts of other complications associated with not having a marriage license, but that's besides the point, as it's all unbiblical anyway.
I’m building up to a point but you’ve kind of illustrated it for me. There is no point in something related to marriage that we’re not told about in scripture. If it were a part of marriage we would have been told about it.

Why then are we not told about a need for such a thing in order to form a marriage? And pull back even further, a necessary element related to marriage is clearly laid out, even down to delivery instructions.

Marriages can form in a number of ways. And it is possible that the Prophets and Apostles didn't care to try to list them because it was really irrelevant to their message.

The most important part of a marriage comes after the first commitment, whatever form that commitment comes in. The relationship that comes about is the most important thing here.

The shape of the separation though is easily defined as either death or divorce.

Here is a Marriage in the simplest form.

A man and woman is on an Island and the man proclaims her as his wife before G-d. (Oral Covenant with G-d)
There is no one else on that Island other than them two so no need in telling people about that marriage.
No document because they are the only two people there and there is never a divorce because he and only he owns everything.
they are Married and have a (Oral Covenant with G-d) and Husband and Wife.

Wives Wedding Pledge: I Surrender everything that I am to you. (But not needed)
Husband Wedding Pledge: I will love you as G-d loves us. (But not needed)

In this case all that needs to happen is The Man Proclaims Ownership before G-d. (Done)
Alright, where is this oral covenant with Gos in scripture? Where in the Bible is there anything about proclaiming ownership before God?

Marriages can form in a number of ways. And it is possible that the Prophets and Apostles didn't care to try to list them because it was really irrelevant to their message.

The most important part of a marriage comes after the first commitment, whatever form that commitment comes in. The relationship that comes about is the most important thing here.

The shape of the separation though is easily defined as either death or divorce.
I’m not okay with this. Adultery is a capital offense. Marriage is a powerful and ubiquitous metaphor throughout scripture. If forming a marriage and avoiding adultery isn’t important to the gospel message then not much is.

Exactly, but why aren’t we told what is required?
This question right here is the main issue IMHO. You want God to provide you with a bullet point list. He hasn't.
We’re told quite explicitly what divorce requires but we don’t appear to be told what a marriage requires.
We are told. But you don't like it and you seem to want to boil it all down to one single thing.
This seems like a shocking oversight.
It's a shocking oversight to ignore the plethora of scripture where God himself illustrates the marriage relationship. *spoiler alert* It's not copulation!

Alright, where is this oral covenant with Gos in scripture? Where in the Bible is there anything about proclaiming ownership before God?

Man has Ownership even without proclaiming, you can't give it away or run from it. You are the Man/Husband and Leader.
G-d Forces us Men to be Men and Leaders we have no say in this matter.

Meanings of Marriage: I Posted this for people to be able to use in their understandings.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/search.cfm?Criteria=marriage&t=KJV&ss=1#s=s_lexiconc

H1984הָלַלhālalpraise, glory, boast, mad, shine, foolish, fools, commended, rage, celebrate, give, marriage, renowned

הָלַל hâlal, haw-lal'; a primitive root; to be clear (orig. of sound, but usually of color); to shine; hence, to make a show, to boast; and thus to be (clamorously) foolish; to rave; causatively, to celebrate; also to stultify:—(make) boast (self), celebrate, commend, (deal, make), fool(-ish, -ly), glory, give (light), be (make, feign self) mad (against), give in marriage, (sing, be worthy of) praise, rage, renowned, shine.

STRONGS H1984:Abbreviations
† I. [הָלַל] verb shine (according to Thes and others = II. הלל (splenduit, from sonuit acute, clare, so Thes; these meanings, however, merely assumed); but see LagOr. ii. 19 & below following; compare Arabic هَلَّ begin to shine, هِلَالً new moon; Assyrian êllu, bright COTGloss) —
Qal only Infinitive suffix בְּהִלּוֺ נֵרוֺ עֲלֵי ראֹשִׁי Job 29:3 when it, namely his lamp, shone upon my head (compare Ew§ 309 c), figurative of God's favour.
Hiph. Imperfect יָהֵל Job 31:26, 3rd person feminine singular תָּהֶל Job 41:10; 3rd person masculine plural יָהֵ֫לּוּ Isaiah 13:10; — flash forth light, of heavenly bodies,

H2859חָתַןḥāṯanlaw, affinity, marriages

חָתַן châthan, khaw-than'; a primitive root; to give (a daughter) away in marriage; hence (generally) to contract affinity by marriage:—join in affinity, father in law, make marriages, mother in law, son in law.

† חֹתֵן verbal noun.
1. masculine wife's father (Arabic خَاتِنً a circumciser, hence father-in-law, with reference to circumcision performed on young men just before marriage; خَتَنً relation on wife's side; see WeProl. 1886, 355 Anm, 1; Skizzen iii, 154 StaZAW 1886. 143 Aum. NöZMG 1886, 187; otherwise DlPr 91 LagBN 116) — construct חֹתֵן Exodus 18:1 + 9 times, חֹתֶנְךָ Exodus 18:6, חֹתְנוֺ Exodus 3:1 + 9 times; — usually of Moses' wife's father Exodus 3:1; Exodus 4:18; Exodus 18:1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12 (twice in verse); Exodus 18:14; Exodus 18:15; Exodus 18:17; Exodus 18:24; Exodus 18:27 (all E), Numbers 10:29 (J), Judges 1:16; Judges 4:11; of a Levite Judges 19:4, 7, 9.
2. feminine wife's mother, only suffix חֹתַנְתּוֺ Deuteronomy 27:23.

† II. חתן verb denominative only
Hithp. make oneself a daughter's husband (Late Hebrew Hithp. id., Aramaic Ithpa. id.)Perfect 2nd person masculine plural וְהִתְחַתַּנְתֶּם consecutive Joshua 23:12; Imperfect וַיִּתְחַתֵּן 1 Kings 3:1; 2 Chronicles 18:1; 2nd person masculine תִּתְחַתֵּן Deuteronomy 7:3; 1 Samuel 18:21; Imperative הִתְחַתֵּן 1 Samuel 18:22, הִתְחַתְּנוּ Genesis 34:9; Infinitive הִתְחַתֵּן 1 Samuel 18:23 + 3 times; —
1. make oneself daughter's husband (son-in-law) to, with בְּ 1 Samuel 18:21, 22, 23, 26, 27; with אֶת 1 Kings 3:1; Genesis 34:9 (P); with לְ 2 Chronicles 18:1, of marriage of Jehoshaphat's son and Ahab's daughter (compare 2 Kings 8:18 2 Chronicles 21:6).
2. in general form marriage-alliance with, with בְּ Deuteronomy 7:3; Joshua 23:12 (D), Ezra 9:14.

H5772עוֹנָהʿônâduty of marriage

עוֹנָה ʻôwnâh, o-naw'; from an unused root apparently meaning to dwell together; (sexual) cohabitation:—duty of marriage.

† [עוֺנָה] Qr, [עֵינָה] Kt noun feminine only suffix Hosea 10:10: Qr plural עוֺנֹתָם Baer, singular עוֺנָתָם Ginsb; > עֵינֹתָם Kt; but read עֲוֺנֹתָם, see עָוֺן 1a.

† [עֹנָה] noun feminine cohabitation (Late Hebrew עוֺנָה time, also = Biblical Hebrew; possibly response or correspondence, commerce, from above √; or else euphemistic, specific time, SS (compare BaES 17, from √
bdb077301
); Thes from עון dwell); — suffix עֹנָתָהּ Exodus 21:10 (E) i.e. her marriage rights. — Hosea 10:10 see H5771 עָוֺן

G1061γαμίζωgamizōgive in marriage

†γαμίσκω gamískō, gam-is'-ko; from G1062; to espouse (a daughter to a husband):—give in marriage.

γαμίσκω, equivalent to γαμίζω, which see [Matthew 24:38 Lachmann]; Passive [present γαμίσκομαι]; Mark 12:25 R G; Luke 20:34 L T Tr WH, [Luke 20:35 WH marginal reading; cf. Winers Grammar, 92 (88); and Tdf.'s note on Matthew 22:30]. (Aristotle, pol. 7, 14, 4 etc.) [Compare: ἐκγαμίσκω.]

Related entry:
γαμίζω; [Passive, present γαμίζομαι; imperfect ἐγαμιζόμην]; (γάμος); to give a daughter in marriage: 1 Corinthians 7:38a [L T Tr WH, 38b] G L T Tr WH; passive: Matthew 22:30 L T Tr WH; [Matthew 24:38 T WH]; Mark 12:25; Luke 17:27; Luke 20:35 [WH marginal reading γαμίσκονται]. (The word is mentioned in Apoll. de constr. 3, 31 p. 280, 10 Bekker edition.) [Compare: ἐκγαμίζω.]

G1062γάμοςgamosmarriage, wedding

γάμος, -ου, ὁ, [probably from the root, gam, to bind, unite; Curtius, p. 546f], as in Greek writings from Homer down;
1. a wedding or marriage-festival: John 2:1; Revelation 19:7 (under the figure of a marriage here is represented the intimate and everlasting union of Christ, at his return from heaven, with his church); τὸ δεῖπνον τοῦ γάμου, Revelation 19:9 (a symbol of the future blessings of the Messiah's kingdom); especially a wedding-banquet, a marriage-feast: Matthew 22:8, 10 [here T WH Tr marginal reading νυμφών], Matthew 22:11, 12; plural (referring apparently to the several acts of feasting), Matthew 22:2ff, Matthew 22:9; Matthew 25:10; Luke 12:36; Luke 14:8 (cf. Winers Grammar, § 27, 3; Buttmann, 23 (21)).
2. marriage, matrimony: Hebrews 13:4.

G1547ἐκγαμίζωenkamizōgive in marriage

ἐκγαμίζω ekgamízō, ek-gam-id'-zo; from G1537 and a form of G1061 (compare G1548); to marry off a daughter:—give in marriage.

ἐκγαμίζω; Passive [present ἐκγαμίζομαι]; imperfect ἐξεγαμιζόμην; to give away (ἐκ out of the house [cf. Winers Grammar, 102 (97)]) in marriage: a daughter, 1 Corinthians 7:38a R G [1 Corinthians 7:38b Rec.]; Matthew 24:38 R G Tr text. passive, to marry, to be given in marriage, Matthew 22:30 R G [cf. Tdf.'s note at the passage]; Luke 17:27 R G; see γαμίζω. Not found elsewhere.

Related entry:
γαμίζω; [Passive, present γαμίζομαι; imperfect ἐγαμιζόμην]; (γάμος); to give a daughter in marriage: 1 Corinthians 7:38a [L T Tr WH, 38b] G L T Tr WH; passive: Matthew 22:30 L T Tr WH; [Matthew 24:38 T WH]; Mark 12:25; Luke 17:27; Luke 20:35 [WH marginal reading γαμίσκονται]. (The word is mentioned in Apoll. de constr. 3, 31 p. 280, 10 Bekker edition.) [Compare: ἐκγαμίζω.]

G1548ἐκγαμίσκωenkamiskōgive in marriage

1. to give away in marriage: a daughter
  2. to marry, to be given in marriage

ἐκγαμίσκω ekgamískō, ek-gam-is'-ko; from G1537 and G1061; the same as 1547:—give in marriage.

ἐκγαμίσκω, equivalent to ἐκγαμίζω, which see: passive [present ἐκγαμίσκομαι]; Luke 20:34f. R G; cf. γαμίσκω and Fritzsche on Mark, p. 529ff. Not found elsewhere.

Marriage License is really a Bill of Sales from Father to Husband in Ownership of The Woman.
We don't need extra details we just know the wife become his and he is Lord over His House.

Last edited:
Define adultery.

Edit: I've had sex with a married man. Am I his wife or...?
Adultery is the act that occurs when a woman who has an existing one flesh relationship engages in sexual acts with a man who is not the subject of her one flesh relationship.

This question right here is the main issue IMHO. You want God to provide you with a bullet point list. He hasn't.
And yet he’ll require you to kill me for violating a rule He didn’t lay out? I’m sorry but that’s not the actions of a just God. How do we avoid this horrible sin of adultery if we don’t know what it is?
We are told. But you don't like it and you seem to want to boil it all down to one single thing.
Where? Cite the verses.
It's a shocking oversight to ignore the plethora of scripture where God himself illustrates the marriage relationship. *spoiler alert* It's not copulation!
What verses are these? Give me the references.

Back