• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Do "active members" need to be active?

Those labels are controlled by something called the "User Title Ladder". And, at present, we've set that to be based on trophy points, and have a load of trophies some of which came with the site and others which we've added - mostly based on number of posts and likes.

I've screenshotted the control pane below so you can see how limited it is (and what it's currently set to). There is no way I can filter out people who are no longer currently active. I cannot adjust the trophies to only apply to currently active members only. The title ladder is based solely on the total volume of content (however long ago it was).

I agree the word "Active" is inappropriate and should be changed. Same goes for "Ascended". What do you suggest I change them to? And obviously I should either add more labels or adjust the thresholds so we don't have everyone in the top category.

But it's all still rather meaningless.
upload_2021-4-30_7-50-40.png

But there is a way to make this more meaningful.

The best way I could overhaul this to be more meaningful would be to completely overhaul the trophies section. I could:
  • Remove most of the existing trophies, as they're largely based on raw volume of posts or likes (sorry people who have earned them!)
  • Replace them with a scale of trophies based on likes/messages ratio. In other words, the people whose contribution has overall been "voted" most valuable through the likes of others would float to the top.
At present we have two trophies that work on this basis: "Valued Contributor" (on average received 1 like per post), and "Highly Valued Contributor" (2 likes per post). I would add a gradation between these (1.5) and some more above them.

I could retain some trophies for volume of likes received and volume of posts, but much fewer than at present and weighted so they are "worth" less than the likes/messages ratio trophies.

I would then base the title ladder on the points from these trophies.

So if someone has received, on average, 1 like for every post they have made, they could be a "valued member", and then go up from that to "Highly Valued", "Esteemed" - and this would be based basically on the perceived value of their contributions based on likes.

This would subtly filter out really old members also, as people who posted mostly on the old forum software that had no likes feature have received no likes except from people trawling through old posts and finding theirs of particular value, so their likes/messages ratio will be lower.

Now, whether judging the value of contributions by popularity is a good idea is obviously highly debatable. But this is all a bit of silly fun.

It would hopefully favour the silent individuals who say little but when they speak everyone pays attention because it's worth reading. Such people don't end up recognised much at present.

Anyone in favour of such a radical overhaul?

That sounds like a lot of work.

Anyone in favour of such a radical overhaul?

I'm with @steve -- WAY too much work, and doesn't it seem like we'd be setting up a system that even further encourages us to get approval from each other?

Why not just get rid of all the titles up the ladder other than the first two: New Member and Member?

Awe, you should never look behind the veil. I thought someone had vouched for me as a well known member. You might as well change it to, barely literate, writes a little, more than most, profuse, and.voluminous.

I'm sorry I brought it up.

I agree, it does sound like a lot of work for something that really isn't all that important.

@FollowingHim can we even get rid of the labels if we desire to? Or should we just keep the silly titles to be enjoyed. Do other Forums do things like this? I haven't been on many others.

Wow, and here I didn't realize we were a branch of the Rosicrucians!

Anyone here reach the 32 degree level yet?

Wow, and here I didn't realize we were a branch of the Rosicrucians!

Anyone here reach the 32 degree level yet?
Shoot, if we added all of our points together we might could be halfway there.

Shoot, if we added all of our points together we might could be halfway there.
That's a great idea. We could even start forming partnerships and acquire advanced statuses together. How about this?: you and me, we start posting together under one avatar -- we'll call it StevieKeithy, and we'll rocket ahead of everyone else -- even @FollowingHim! They'll have to make up a new category for us just to justify the existence of the stepladder of titles. Hmmm . . . we could call it Anointed One, or better yet, just God! Yeah, I like that!

And when we get bored with that, we can just boost ourselves with an even higher designation: something like, well, Oprah.

Or we could just start building a Tower of Babel.

The possibilities are endless when you're On Beyond Ass-Ended.

Give him an inch and he’ll take a mile.....

I think we need to invert the ladder. You know the first shall be last and all that. I’m thinking it could start with “new member” and end with something like “slave of all”. You know, a humble brag sort of thing... :rolleyes:

And taking another mile from an inch . . .

How about if we start people out as Ascended Members and eventually grant them the status of New Member?

Us that have excessive numbers of points should have Samuel distribute them amongst those that have no points.
The members who left before the point system began.
The ones who never comment.

If only we had statues to topple.

And taking another mile from an inch . . .

How about if we start people out as Ascended Members and eventually grant them the status of New Member?

Please note that I'm not serious about any of this. I don't particularly care for the stroke system for social media, because it encourages us to seek approval from others, but I wasn't serious, @steve, about the StevieKeithy thing. It was just my own brand of late-night on-fumes weirdo humor.

Us that have excessive numbers of points should have Samuel distribute them amongst those that have no points.
The members who left before the point system began.
The ones who never comment.
What if we instituted a monthly universal basic income of likes? I’m thinking 30 automatic likes per month... it would make everyone feel better about themselves and it would free up so much time for people as they wouldn’t have to post as much. They could spend that time pursuing things they didn’t previously have time for, like dabbling in art or starting a business, like say, a day spa where people could bring their pet sheep to get spa treatments. Really this whole system of likes for good content is unfair and, I think is holding our fellowship economy back. :rolleyes:

Really this whole system of likes for good content is unfair and, I think is holding our fellowship economy back.
Amen!
So unfair to non contributors.

We must unite and cancel this culture imposed upon us by the great Sam in the sky!

Back