• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Do we need to be harsh?

Very simple - we're supposed to "called out of this world." That means we're to be "peculiar." Not following or caring about the ways of the world. Profanity should have nothing to do with a Christian. I understand if something comes out every now and then - but by far and large - profanity should have nothing to do with a Christian. If other christians or conservatives are engaged with this type of behavior - we should gently point them away from it. There's plenty of scripture to choose from.

If the devil was able to deceive 1/3 of the angels; then it's fair to say he's deceiving a much larger percentage of the sons of men. This of course includes christians. Stay away from that type of behavior. The followers of the world love this language. They are nothing by blind followers. The blind leading the blind = both fall into the pit.

Build your rock on King Jesus.

If you build your rock on the world -- you will be enslaved to it. Including how they talk.

I think it is good to focus on how followers of Christ should speak, instead of how they shouldn't speak. By understanding one, you may come to understand the other. Edification, for instance.

Edify: instruct or improve someone morally or intellectually

“Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4‬:‭29‬

“Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭15‬:‭2‬

“How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭14‬:‭26‬

All things done unto edifying.

We should also speak peaceably.

“Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭14‬:‭19‬

“Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5‬:‭9‬

Peace and holiness

“Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12‬:‭14‬

And with thanksgiving

“In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”
‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5‬:‭18‬

Along with how to speak, we should also speak with humility and meekness. Not seeking to be high minded, but lowly.

“And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭23‬:‭12‬

“Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2‬:‭3‬

“with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4‬:‭2‬

As Christians, Christ followers, we should conduct ourselves within the framework of scripture. Test any word against scripture, and ask yourself in all honesty is it dishonorable unto Christ, my master? If it is honorable or even just neutral, then proceed by faith.

“whatsoever is not of faith is sin.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭14‬:‭23‬

Last edited:
I think all the aspects of speech have been presented here. People can decide what they believe God’s intent is.

Profanity and vulgarity do not bode well with me. That said, if it walks like a duck, flies like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck it is likely a duck. Our messiah called Caesar a fox. He called the legalists of his day vipers. Men today should likewise be prepared to man up and call a thing what it is. There are no cowards in the Kingdom of GOD. The Messiah was not a nice man. He was kind, compassionate, humble, considerate, but never nice. The origins of the word "nice" border on being voluntarily ignorant. This is not our Lord and King. 'Nuff said.

Profanity and vulgarity do not bode well with me. That said, if it walks like a duck, flies like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck it is likely a duck. Our messiah called Caesar a fox. He called the legalists of his day vipers. Men today should likewise be prepared to man up and call a thing what it is. There are no cowards in the Kingdom of GOD. The Messiah was not a nice man. He was kind, compassionate, humble, considerate, but never nice. The origins of the word "nice" border on being voluntarily ignorant. This is not our Lord and King. 'Nuff said.
When dating - if you notice your date cussing or using bad language - that should immediately set off major red flags. I don’t think that is fruit of the Holy Spirit.

When dating - if you notice your date cussing or using bad language - that should immediately set off major red flags. I don’t think that is fruit of the Holy Spirit.
Evidently some would view that as an enhancement.

What is wrong with Rose baring their hand made breasts in a moment of joy at the White House “Pride” celebration?
Who are we to enforce our standards on Rose?
They aren’t even female mammary glands, just a male chest with inserted padding.
So why did Rose have to apologize?

Adam and Eve were naked and it wasn’t sin, so who has the right to insist that a person, male female or halfway in between, that shows up in church wearing a Saran Wrap dress is wrong?

“But that’s different!”
Having a mutually agreed upon standard is the common factor for both discussions.
If it is unacceptable for anyone to have expectations for speech, why are they different for dress?

I think it is good to focus on how followers of Christ should speak, instead of how they shouldn't speak. By understanding one, you may come to understand the other. Edification, for instance.

Edify: instruct or improve someone morally or intellectually

“Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4‬:‭29‬

“Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭15‬:‭2‬

“How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭14‬:‭26‬

All things done unto edifying.

We should also speak peaceably.

“Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭14‬:‭19‬

“Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5‬:‭9‬

Peace and holiness

“Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12‬:‭14‬

And with thanksgiving

“In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”
‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5‬:‭18‬

Along with how to speak, we should also speak with humility and meekness. Not seeking to be high minded, but lowly.

“And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭23‬:‭12‬

“Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2‬:‭3‬

“with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4‬:‭2‬

As Christians, Christ followers, we should conduct ourselves within the framework of scripture. Test any word against scripture, and ask yourself in all honesty is it honorable unto Christ, my master? If so, proceed by faith.

“whatsoever is not of faith is sin.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭14‬:‭23‬
I agree with you, and here comes the butt-monkey, but we have to be able to call out things that aren’t edifying. Living as if all people are righteous and a blessing to Yah isn’t what sanity looks like. 😉

What is wrong with Rose baring their hand made breasts in a moment of joy at the White House “Pride” celebration?
Who are we to enforce our standards on Rose?
They aren’t even female mammary glands, just a male chest with inserted padding.
So why did Rose have to apologize?

Adam and Eve were naked and it wasn’t sin, so who has the right to insist that a person, male female or halfway in between, that shows up in church wearing a Saran Wrap dress is wrong?

“But that’s different!”
Having a mutually agreed upon standard is the common factor for both discussions.
If it is unacceptable for anyone to have expectations for speech, why are they different for dress?
Right connection, right questions, same incorrect assumptions.

Listen. Understanding all of this is going to unravel some worldviews of some people here and shake them, just like the tremendous upheaval that polygyny once was to the foundations of your core beliefs. If you go there without faith, you'll end up worse off than when you started. But, if you're ready, if the Holy Spirit has planted a yearning for truth and is leading you to question these doctrines, then I'll go ahead and share what has been given to me. But if these are supposed to be gotcha questions asked in bad faith, then I suggest we don't go down that road. Enough has been said already. I'm content that my duty before the Lord to you has been done, and I will just mind my speech in this forum for the sake of the consciences of my brothers. It is the same as when I reason with a brother that drinking alcohol is not a sin, but if he will not listen then I put my beer back in the fridge and sip a tea with him. It isn't that important. But I'll still probably defend anyone else who doesn't realize the weakness here and gets jumped.

Right connection, right questions, same incorrect assumptions.

Listen. Understanding all of this is going to unravel some worldviews of some people here and shake them, just like the tremendous upheaval that polygyny once was to the foundations of your core beliefs. If you go there without faith, you'll end up worse off than when you started. But, if you're ready, if the Holy Spirit has planted a yearning for truth and is leading you to question these doctrines, then I'll go ahead and share what has been given to me. But if these are supposed to be gotcha questions asked in bad faith, then I suggest we don't go down that road. Enough has been said already. I'm content that my duty before the Lord to you has been done, and I will just mind my speech in this forum for the sake of the consciences of my brothers. It is the same as when I reason with a brother that drinking alcohol is not a sin, but if he will not listen then I put my beer back in the fridge and sip a tea with him. It isn't that important. But I'll still probably defend anyone else who doesn't realize the weakness here and gets jumped.
I’m not convinced that my standing before Yah is diminished by my lack of enlightenment about the benefits of vulgar language, so I’m gonna give it a hard pass.
I’ll be your weaker brother, if that’s what it takes.
I’ll be the swine that you shouldn’t throw those pearls of wisdom in front of.

I’m not convinced that my standing before Yah is diminished by my lack of enlightenment about the benefits of vulgar language, so I’m gonna give it a hard pass.
Your standing isn't dimished at all by this. Can't be. To you own Master you stand or fall, and He is able to make you stand. But pushing you so that you stumbled could have, so that's why it would have been wrong for me to continue.
I’ll be your weaker brother, if that’s what it takes.
I’ll be the swine that you shouldn’t throw those pearls of wisdom in front of.
And I'll love you all the same.

I agree with you, and here comes the butt-monkey, but we have to be able to call out things that aren’t edifying. Living as if all people are righteous and a blessing to Yah isn’t what sanity looks like. 😉
This is also covered in scripture, so I agree with you too Steve. Rebuking, giving reproof, correcting doctrine, is called for for all who call on Christ.

Only by scripture should we correct any other brother in Christ. The Word of God always comes first. Over everything.

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭3‬:‭16‬

“These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.”
‭‭Titus‬ ‭2‬:‭15‬

“Open rebuke is better Than secret love.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭27‬:‭5‬

Completely agree with rebuke. I also believe that the wise ones desire correction when shown that they're wrong too.

“He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: But he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭15‬:‭32‬

“The ear that heareth the reproof of life Abideth among the wise.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭15‬:‭31‬

This was a good thread by the way Steve. Thanks for bringing it up. 👍

Last edited:
This thread has totally missed it's point. Genesis of this thread isn't because I said something naughty. After "problematic post" I could apologise or don't mention post again. What has actually created this thread is because nobody liked my original post. Why this matters?

Vanguard of BCDC introduction, evil person, gets arrested and you, instead of being happy for justice being served, get totally focused on naughty word. So .... moral system of forum's members it totally out of order if some words are far more important that justice being served. It is is simple, punishment of evil must be near top of values hierarachy. Otherwise, alternative is allowing evil to flourish.

It's total nonsense to spend time to prove what anybody with social IQ of 2 knows. Good person is decent and speaks nicely of other people. It has pleasent speech without vulgarities hard on ear. What is more important and far more interesting is when you should stop being such nice person? It is only worthy point of discussion.

Let's get deeper. Time to start with interesting answer:
Will you please stop pretending that I don’t want you to be able to call someone an evil person. That’s an absolute lie and you are intelligent enough to see that, I think.
You act as if you should be able to use any word at all, and you know full well that that also is a complete lie. There are words that are often used that no one ever uses on this site, because they know that it would be unacceptable. It’s called having a conscience. Refraining out of respect for others.
So evil is OK, but a$$hole is too much naughty. How......strange. 🤔

Calling somebody evil is declaration of social "removal" at all costs. Not having any interaction is best possibility from best perspective of someone called evil. Evil is not tolerated and it sought to be removed. So...firing squad is also acceptable solution for big enough evil person.

Yet, naught word usually describes somebody behaving improperly, but it doesn't have to stop frendship. So naughty word is far less damaging to social relationships. Steve Stifler of "American Pie" fame is precisely someone who has friends and is totaly naughty word.

In any social group there must be way to modify behaviour of other people, otherwise group couldn't function. If violence is out of question and it should be, then only social pressure remains. How strange... See Christians have acceptable wording from great to neutral, but no acceptable wording from neutral to truly evil. So either neutrality or total war by calling someone evil.

Without word like asshole, idiot, deluded, crazy and other harsh words how can you provide negative feedback to someone? Do you truly believe that telling someone "I'm concerned for your soul" has some power as "I like your plan, made by somebody under heavy narcotics influence".

Still think that harsh language isn't useful? Imagine you in person Mr. Fauci. What it would good conversation?

O.....Mr Fauci, so nice to meet you. I'm one of you fans. You are truly legend. I'm so happy half of country hates you. 😀😀😀😀

Yes, it has false interest. Yes, point is to socially disarm Fauci before delivery of verbal smackdown. Yes, point is made him feel hatred.

Why do this?

Well, our social betters were very concerned with some coof, so they made a lot of stiffling measure for us. What can we do? Violence isn't option and regime won't put it's people in jail. So..what now? Long live ridicule, shaming and naughty words. 🥂🥂

If they pay their concerns now with social and/or profesional suicide, they will be far less willing to show same concern next time. It is very stressful to feel alone and under threat, without connection with other people. Fate worse than, maybe, jail lifetime.

In Croatia, coof measures promoters have totally destroyed their professional reputations. For next coof, there will be less willing promoters when professional suicide is price.

I think two sources are for this problem. There is push to call any naughty word profanity. Nonsense if you ask me. Profanity is disrespect of sacred. Sacred is "set-apart", special. It's opposite is mundane, meaning regular, normal, everyday life. Sacred is something done against Lord and calling somebody something harsh isn't that.

Second issue is Mr. Nice Guy culture. It is culture of conflict avoidance, lacking any boundaries, passive aggression as method to fight for your interest instead of assertivness. It is culture of avoding offending somebody at any cost. Any harsh words are greatest sin in such culture.

It is great way to make sure everyone feels included and it minimizes conflict. It is great way to treat children and keep family together, but men hate such niceness. So....price is church full of women and henpecked/longhoused pastors.

Why now same-sex couples are made welcome, receive blessing and even gays can become priests? Well, offending such people by explaining their sins is verboten. So...price is churches full of degeneracy.

@MemeFan I think that you have achieved the presidency of Overthinkers Unanimous. You definitely have my vote, and I am a founding member.
Btw: I changed it from Anonymous to Unanimous because overthinkers cannot possibly remain anonymous.
This thread has totally missed it's point.
Your part of this thread definitely has.
What has actually created this thread is because nobody liked my original post.
Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!
Really?
How on earth did I miss such a cataclysmic event? I had no clue that likes were driving the conversation. I’m glad that I haven’t gotten too old to learn something new.

22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Clearly there is a level of coarseness/name calling that we are to avoid, despite your rhetoric about how dangerous it is to have any standards of niceness.

@MemeFan I think that you have achieved the presidency of Overthinkers Unanimous. You definitely have my vote, and I am a founding member.
Btw: I changed it from Anonymous to Unanimous because overthinkers cannot possibly remain anonymous.
Thank you.
Your part of this thread definitely has.

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!
Really?
How on earth did I miss such a cataclysmic event? I had no clue that likes were driving the conversation. I’m glad that I haven’t gotten too old to learn something new.
Some of my best posts by people's reactions were made by noticing on what others are disregarding, but they shouldn't. Same with focusing on wrong things. It does also help revealing mindset of people here.
22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
I don't think calling somebody fool is automatically sin. Fool = does stupid things. Calling person who does stupid things is accurate description of situation which it truth telling which isn't sin. Our Lord is Lord of logic and order. There must be some common sense or somethings is wrong.

By the way, Proverbs are nice commentary on fools and people are called fools.

Topic of verses around 22th is reconciliation and peace with people. So, don't call people around fools to cause strife, which is foolishness.
Clearly there is a level of coarseness/name calling that we are to avoid, despite your rhetoric about how dangerous it is to have any standards of niceness.
I never said anything like that. I constanly warn against having only niceness standard. Jordan Peterson is right. To paraphrase: True man must be dangerous for other people. It is only way to protect others.

I think Christians are obsessed with niceness and this causes cultural problems. For example, taboo on speaking truth about polygamy by pastors in know. Such truth is offensive for too much people, so they pretend it doesn' exist. From when Lord approves such actions? This is hiding cowardice with niceness.

I also believe that some situation do call for harshness.

Last edited:
I also believe that some situation do call for harshness.
I have agreed with that all along.
I also believe that there is such a thing as unnecessary harshness. There have been definite examples of it posted now and again that are removed.

This federal court deserves mocking and being made fun by Florida:

I agree, for whatever good that will do.

But wait………, you are agreeing with having laws that enforce standards that the community arbitrarily sets?

I agree, for whatever good that will do.

But wait………, you are agreeing with having laws that enforce standards that the community arbitrarily sets?
Nobody can forbid you to impose on yourself any rule you wish as long you don't do material damage to another. This us your right, wisdom and morality of rule are reparate questions.

If all members of community's agree with proposed rule it is binding for all.

Florida's law forbids minor presence on drag events. It' immoral and should be illegal.

Principal reason for ignoring federal courts is restoring federalism and localism in USA. Both mean that locals can live according to their own laws and customs. But, always exists temptation is impose laws from above. And since all laws are morality expression, which all laws imposed also impose morality on unwilling.

Back