• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Does a husbands authority wax and wane?

@Cap when Paul opposed Peter to his face, it was because Peter was being hypocritical and was being a bad example to the church. Peter didn’t “sin against” Paul personally. Another example of that might be the thing that happened to Ananias and Sapphira. Peter didn’t take them aside privately, he just rebuked them.

It seems odd to me that you have trust issues with Paul, yet you wouldn’t have a problem with Billy Bob down the road, claiming to be an Apostle. Why is that?

@Cap when Paul opposed Peter to his face, it was because Peter was being hypocritical and was being a bad example to the church. Peter didn’t “sin against” Paul personally. Another example of that might be the thing that happened to Ananias and Sapphira. Peter didn’t take them aside privately, he just rebuked them.

It seems odd to me that you have trust issues with Paul, yet you wouldn’t have a problem with Billy Bob down the road, claiming to be an Apostle. Why is that?

I knew that it wasn't about sin, I just was trying to show how Paul interacted with the Apostles compared to how they interacted with each other.

Galatians 2:6 As for those who were held in high esteem—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism—they added nothing to my message.

A more important question is, if Billy Bob came up to you and gave you a message and it was scriptural and brought you into a closer relationship with God, would you listen?

Why is it so hard to realize I'm not saying anyone is an Apostle, one of the twelve, that they could be a messenger and that's yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the message was scriptural, why do i need Billy Bob? Why do i need Billy Bob to give me a direct revelation from God, that is already in the scriptures?

What exactly is point of the Holy Spirit today to you ?

If God called you to be missionary in Antarctica, how would you know?

The Son of God said follow His commandments. Are they the old testament commandments? Or can he give commandments today that can lead someone in their daily life? Or both?

I hope we are not offending anyone named Billy Bob.
I heard that he was headed over to your place to let you pet his snakes.

Snakes don't bother me but ostrichs do.
I didn’t realize that you were in that denomination.
I can’t tell you how thankful I am that you don’t bring those worship practices to retreats.

;)

The word 'scripture' here could very well be a group of letters already written and therefore the word 'writings' could have been used. And since the 'scriptures' hadn't quite been put together collectively at this time, I go with the idea of of letters. So, yes, Paul's writings were becoming as important as the Gospels, and other writings, but they had not yet become 'scripture'.

That they were not put together collectively yet does not matter. His letters were considered scripture (authoritative) by Peter. They were not "becoming". They were already there. That much is clear.

And this is where we have come. No one said there was a new message, either from Angels or Gold Plates. There are no new 'A'postles. The only thing that was said, or implied, was that just as God revealed Himself to Paul after the ascension, that I believe (read I believe and you don't have to) he can do the same today if He has a message that would help someone on their path to a greater relationship with Him. I have wept at a message I knew that came straight form God through a man to me, so I know perfectly well that God revealed something to him, for me and who knows who else. And nope, he was not an 'A'postle.

Not arguing that God can not do something and not arguing that God can not reveal himself directly to individuals today. I not contending against your personal testimony. That is between you and God.

Apostle were more than simply witnesses. They were authority figures. Paul was not one of the twelve, but he was a full apostle with equal authority. Which gave him the right to say that even if an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse in Galatians 1:6.

I assume that ther are no apostles around today, because scripture is complete and we do not need apostles with a fresh perspective. We can compare any teaching with what is revealed in the Bible.

On the other hand, I know that is an assumption. The Bible does not explicitly say that. So I keep an open mind. However, all of the candidates that have been identified so far appear to preach a different Gospel and are therefore false.

When the idea comes up that Paul was not a Apostle people quickly jump to, it's a claim that he is a False Apostle.

I get you think Paul was a good and useful teacher. What exactly is your position on Paul's apostleship?

1. Paul did not claim to be an Apostle
2. Paul claimed to be an Apostle, but he was a liar
3. Paul claimed to be an Apostle, but he was confused
4. Paul was an Apostle but there were different ranks of Apostles and Paul was a lessor apostle
5. Paul claimed to be an Apostle and he believed he was an Apostle, but I do not. Paul's letters are not scripture per se so I do not have to believe what Paul writes.
6. Other

I don't believe him claiming to 'see' the Savior in a vision makes him one of the twelve, anymore than it does Stephen.

Again, no one is arguing that he was one of the twelve. The argument is that there were more than twelve apostles and he was one of them.

Galatians 2

6 As for those who were held in high esteem—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism—they added nothing to my message.

Pretty arrogant talk here.

Indeed it is ... UNLESS ... one were an apostle who was an authority figure. That reminds me of the argument against Jesus about his arrogant words, which might be a good argument, unless he really was the Son of God.

And again, the reason this is all important to me is that if God can reveal a message to an ordinary man (in his spirit) after the ascension, then he can do it today.

Do not really understand why demoting Paul is important for you to establish what God can do today. But like I have said over and over, nothing I am writing is any way claiming to limit what God can do today.

What exactly is point of the Holy Spirit today to you ?

The work of The Holy Spirit is to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and repentance, and point us to Christ.

If God called you to be missionary in Antarctica, how would you know?

We are called to be missionaries wherever we are and wherever we go, no special call is necessary. If God wants us to go somewhere is fully capable of directing my path, He is sovereign, I don’t need a false Apostle to bring me direct revelation.

The Son of God said follow His commandments. Are they the old testament commandments? Or can he give commandments today that can lead someone in their daily life? Or both?

Christ’s commandments are written down for us in scripture, Old Testament and New Testament. Jesus told those who he was teaching that those who heard them hear him. Those disciples wrote down what Christ taught and when we hear them (in scripture) we hear Christ.

Why today, if someone hears “a word from God” is it not added to scripture? The New Testament was known to be scripture while the penmen where still living on Earth. Shouldn’t we add what is said to the end of our Bibles? Or is what is being spoken, some type of inferior “word”? If so, why? And why should i listen to it?

I get you think Paul was a good and useful teacher. What exactly is your position on Paul's apostleship?

1. Paul did not claim to be an Apostle
2. Paul claimed to be an Apostle, but he was a liar
3. Paul claimed to be an Apostle, but he was confused
4. Paul was an Apostle but there were different ranks of Apostles and Paul was a lessor apostle
5. Paul claimed to be an Apostle and he believed he was an Apostle, but I do not. Paul's letters are not scripture per se so I do not have to believe what Paul writes.
6. Other

Again, no one is arguing that he was one of the twelve. The argument is that there were more than twelve apostles and he was one of them.

Indeed it is ... UNLESS ... one were an apostle who was an authority figure. That reminds me of the argument against Jesus about his arrogant words, which might be a good argument, unless he really was the Son of God.

Do not really understand why demoting Paul is important for you to establish what God can do today. But like I have said over and over, nothing I am writing is any way claiming to limit what God can do today.

Why is it important to you to raise Paul up higher than what he is. A messenger.

I'll pick 4.

Quoting Paul about Paul doesn't do anything for me.

If you do a search and put 'was Paul a false apostle' (again not saying he is, just put in the search) and you will see that I'm not the only one that questions things.

The work of The Holy Spirit is to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and repentance, and point us to Christ.

We are called to be missionaries wherever we are and wherever we go, no special call is necessary. If God wants us to go somewhere is fully capable of directing my path, He is sovereign, I don’t need a false Apostle to bring me direct revelation.

Christ’s commandments are written down for us in scripture, Old Testament and New Testament. Jesus told those who he was teaching that those who heard them hear him. Those disciples wrote down what Christ taught and when we hear them (in scripture) we hear Christ.

Why today, if someone hears “a word from God” is it not added to scripture? The New Testament was known to be scripture while the penmen where still living on Earth. Shouldn’t we add what is said to the end of our Bibles? Or is what is being spoken, some type of inferior “word”? If so, why? And why should i listen to it?

OK, I actually understand what you are saying.

Quoting Paul about Paul doesn't do anything for me.

If you do a search and put 'was Paul a false apostle' (again not saying he is, just put in the search) and you will see that I'm not the only one that questions things.

Peter says that Paul’s writings are scripture. If Paul was a liar, I’m pretty sure Peter would not have said. So no, we are not just quoting Paul about Paul.

Do a search and put ‘was Jesus a false prophet’... that literally proves nothing.

Peter says that Paul’s writings are scripture. If Paul was a liar, I’m pretty sure Peter would not have said. So no, we are not just quoting Paul about Paul.

Do a search and put ‘was Jesus a false prophet’... that literally proves nothing.

Peter says that Paul has circulated writings that are worth looking at.

It proves that people question things.

Aren't you glad there are those who questioned monogamy?

Back