• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Does a husbands authority wax and wane?

Minimizing the Pauline books or denigrating Paul's ministry is my redline. I will not listen to teachers who go there. We lose so much that is beautiful in our faith if we lose Paul. And how does someone not be a Torah keeper if they don't accept Paul's writings as scripture. All of the verses that people misinterpret to get out of Torah are in Paul.
Agreed. First off Paul preformed the signs of an Apostle, secondly the Apostle Peter says that the writings of Paul are scripture. I’m not sure how anyone can get around that.

I agree and will not come to the place of saying Paul is a false prophet, but I do think his status has been elevated to much.

I would take Paul’s writings seriously... as seriously as scripture, because they are.

2 Peter 3:15-17 KJV
[15] And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; [16] As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. [17] Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

I would take Paul’s writings seriously... as seriously as scripture, because they are.

[15] And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; [16] As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. [17] Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

I never said I didn't take his writings serious. My only question is whether he is one of the twelve. I don't doubt that the Apostle's to Christ vetted him to make sure he was preaching a sound doctrine. By the way, the word 'scripture' could also mean 'writings' as in "also the other writings". Since Paul and Peter were writing letters about the same time, they probably were aware of each others letters. And also, as far as I know, the 'scriptures' hadn't been put together yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said I didn't take his writings serious. My only question is whether he is one of the twelve. I don't doubt that the Apostle's to Christ vetted him to make sure he was preaching a sound doctrine. By the way, the word 'scripture' could also mean 'writings' as in "also the other writings". Since Paul and Peter were writing letters about the same time, they probably were aware of each others letters. And also, as far as I know, the 'scriptures' hadn't been put together yet.

IRRECONCILABLE DIFFERENCES

That is the term used today that can be used by both parties (and yes statistical more by women) to end a marriage. It is the reason we are in this mess. Marriages that could have otherwise been saved had God somehow been a part of at least on one of the parties to the extent of understanding a true biblical marriage, are lost.

But that is not were we are. The institute of marriage has failed from a worldly perspective. If the idea of PM is starting to be revealed to the world as an alternative to help 'fix' the current problem, then women who have been harmed by the failed system most be accounted for, as well. It would be inhuman to leave them in that state of hell for the rest of thier lives, because they failed at an incorrect marriage. That's not the God I serve. What are you going to say when you face your daughter in this place one day? (I know, it will never happen to your family) But it does happen to families. Good families.

Once a dish is broken there comes a time when scolding about being careful with the dishes doesn't do any good anymore. It's time to clean up the mess and see if it's possible to put it back together again.

The woman who chooses to utilize "irreconcilable differences" is not "harmed by the failed system". She's the one perpetrating the harm. We need to stop seeing every divorced woman as a victim in need of saving. We live in a matriarchy, women have all the power today. More often than not the only true victim is the man and his children.

It's about preaching the truth. Stay single or go back to your husband. That is the Biblical solution to the mess.

Minimizing the Pauline books or denigrating Paul's ministry is my redline. I will not listen to teachers who go there. We lose so much that is beautiful in our faith if we lose Paul. And how does someone not be a Torah keeper if they don't accept Paul's writings as scripture. All of the verses that people misinterpret to get out of Torah are in Paul.

One can get there via Acts or the Gospels or church tradition. But Paul's writings make it easier.

I agree and will not come to the place of saying Paul is a false prophet, but I do think his status has been elevated to much.

I agree in so far as many pastors like to talk Paul all day long but rarely touch on what Christ said about the Gospel. The false Gospel the American church preaches today is founded primarily upon over focus on a c

What matters is the idea that Christ can send messengers, sent ones, apostates, disciples, anointed teachers, or whatever to the world TODAY.

Christ = God, so clearly he can. He can do anything he wants to do.

I mean Christ could meet one of us on the road to Dallas or whereever, share all the good stuff, and have new apostles, etc.

The big question is, does he or did he? And the answer appears to be no. Everyone who has claimed such (Mohammad, Joseph Smith, etc.) have been imposters. Name one single apostle since the 1st century?

If Paul is one of the 12 then his message is canonized and in line with the Gospels and other works of the Apostles that we read about and that is it, we have to read it.

I am not sure where you get that one must be one of the 12 to be authoritative. He is not one of the 12 but he is just as authoritative as any of the 12. If you do not believe me, maybe you will belive one of the 12. Peter himself called Paul's writing scripture. 2 Peter 3:15,16.

Which by the way since the Catholic church did the canonization, they are the ones that brought him to that status. When you hear anyone in Christendom talk about Paul it is always Paul the Apostle.

No the Catholic Church had nothing to do with it. Paul was an authoritative apostle from the 1st century. See Peter's testimony above.

Now, if Paul shared the gospel and he wasn't' an 'A'postle then he was no different than the 70 or any other believer who shared the Good News to unbelievers.

Not sure what you are getting at here. Like Luke who wrote the Gospel of Luke and the Book of Acts? You don't have to be an apostle to write authoritative scripture. He could have been just another guy, like Luke, but the Bible clearly says Paul was an apostle. I am not sure Luke's writings were considered scripture in his lifetime, but Paul's were. Peter said so, or are you going to question Peter, too?

He does not deliver any knew revelations that is different than what Christ shared with the original 'A'postles.

Not sure where you are going with this. We have no way of knowing everything he shared with the 12 and everything he shared with Paul and whether they were the same or not.

He was an anointed teacher that happened to be elevated by the church to the status of Saint. To the point that Paul has become on the same level, in a sense, like Moses of the Old Testament.

Not sure what you mean here, either. Paul was not elevated by the church later. He was at the top of the heap in the 1st century. And what is that slander about Moses about? Moses was pretty top of the heap himself.

There are many odd things about Paul and I have always wonder why people don't pick apart the Epistles of Paul like they do the Old Testament? Pretty much what Paul said is what Paul said and that's it. And actually, Paul is always a witness for Paul. Which is really odd to me.

Just plain wrong. Peter is a witness for Paul, too as I noted above.

Last edited:
My only question is whether he is one of the twelve.

Irrelevant. You are elvating the 12 too much. It does not say that there can only be 12 apostles, or that Paul is in any sense a lessor apostle. Further, the 12 in all cases seem to support the full apostleship of Paul. The 12 testify against what you are teaching which is directly opposed to the teaching of Galations. They were not unaware of each other. They worked together. As you say yourself they must have vetted his teaching, and his teaching clearly states that he was an apostle in every sense of the word. I say again, Paul was either a full apostle (equal to Peter, James, and John) or he was a false apostle. There is no middle ground.

Paul is either telling the truth or he is a liar. Again there is no middle ground.

Last edited:
And also, as far as I know, the 'scriptures' hadn't been put together yet.

Peter writes:

"16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction."

Peter said that the people that people who distort what Paul wrote (like Paul's claim to apostleship for example?) are ignorant and unstable. How serious is it to ignore the writings of Paul? It looks like Peter says that leads to ones "own destruction" which I am assuming is bad.

I am not sure whether scripture here is with a capital "S' or a little 's' but it seems to me that Peter is saying that it is imperative that you read it, pay close attention to it and do what it says.

It is clear that questioning Paul is just needless sophistication, unless you are willing to question Peter, too. And if you go there, then you are not going to have a whole lot of Christianity left.

Last edited:
Paul had disagreements with the Apostles. Odd.

Indeed. In fact that is part of Paul's argument that he is not a lessor apostle, because he contended against Peter to his face, and he was right and Peter was wrong. See Galatians 2.

I am not at all saying he is a false prophet (I don't have enough information)

You do not seem to fully accept him either, despite Peter vouching for him. I find that odd.

but I am saying that I believe Paul has a message to declare that came from Christ, no different than can be done TODAY for someone that God chooses to use to share His message TODAY.

I do not see the argument here. Of course the message can be shared today. It is being shared today by Christians all around the globe. From the pulpit to missionaries in far off lands. What has that to do with Paul's apostleship?

But if Paul is elevated to 'A'psotle then that leaves little room to accept an understanding that God can use a man today to send a message.

Unless....UNLESS...you are saying we can come up with some sort of new Gospel, some sort of new revelation. Something not found in the Bible. Something delivered by Angels or on golden plates perhaps?

What are you suggesting? Who are the candidates? What is this new message? Put in on the table and let us consider it.

Again, there is no argument that God can. Indeed God can do anything.

The more important question is did God, and is God doing this? If the answer is yes, than we need to see who and when to properly consider it. No one has, yet, stepped forward with specifics.

I am not sure where you get that one ...

Not sure what you are getting at here.

Not sure where you are going with this.

Not sure what you mean here, either.

I can say this, you are misunderstanding what I am say, but since you have decided to pick a part every sentence I have tried to share, no doubt my lack of ability to transfer information, it will take a little time to respond as I a few things going on. Thank you for your attempts to clear this up.

I will say this, I am not afraid to question the group narrative, it has helped me find a greater truth for myself in the things of God. Like polygamy. I don't believe we are called to have blind faith. Question everything.

I will say this, I am not afraid to question the group narrative, it has helped me find a greater truth for myself in the things of God. Like polygamy. I don't believe we are called to have blind faith. Question everything.

Fair enough brother. I can certainly agree with you here. :)

P.S. Notice the happy smiley face in accordance with the new forum rules.

I just want to look up the "Babylonian Talmud" and lo and behold it's just the plain, regular old Talmud that was compiled after A.D. 70 by non-believing Jews to try and reform the faith after the destruction of the Second Temple. These were not God fearing, Old Testament Hebrews living Torah. These were the remnants of the Pharisees who were trying to keep Christianity at bay decades after the Crucifixion.

Nothing the Talmud says should ever be used to re-interpret the Bible. The Talmudic Rabbis were creating an alternative to the Torah. It may have some value but it is not to be used to add to the Bible.

For the record, I was wrong about the date the BT was written by a lot.
There’s a lot more to say about this, but I’m not gonna respond to this claim on this thread. For those interested in my reply you can find it here

Not trying to put words in anyone's mouth, but what follows is an attempt to clarifying statements as I remember them happening. Not sure who said what.

At some point, in this thread or another, a quesiton was asked about anointed singers. Then it further developed into a discussion about the offices of the church. Within that discussion a statement was made that Paul was one of the Apostles. My interpretation was it was a statement saying that Paul was one of the 12 Apostles that actually operated under the ministries of the Son of God while He was on Earth. Within the context of someone being anointed to sing reference was made about anointed messengers, apostles (apostates to some), being able to share a message from God in the present day. The only reference I was trying to make was that there are no Apostles today (served on earth with Christ) BUT since Paul received his message, a commentary about the Good News, AFTER the Death and resurrection of the Son of God, the same thing could be done today. But only as a commentary, with no new revelations. An anointed preacher can receive a message from the Holy Spirit today just as Paul did, and John, after the Ascension. No one is capable of receiving a message directly (physically) from Christ. But there are those who can see or hear visions or dreams from the Holy Spirit for the edification of the body, or even individuals. Just like Paul. Paul is no more special than any believer that God chooses to reveal Himself too, accept that he happened to have what he said put down in words and recorded in the Bible.

If I come to your house and ask for directions to grandma's house and you tell them to me then I have heard directly from you how to get there. If I see a flash of light and somewhere in my mind I hear directions to get to grandma's house then it could either be directions I have heard from somewhere else, or I made it up. The test will be in the verification. No doubt those who learned of the directions first hand will verify that I know what I am talking about. I may know of a shortcut when I understand the complete directions, but still they must match the overall directions I received to get me to the right place.

Paul was a human and he made a lot of mistakes in his interruptions of the directions he received. If he had figured it out and the message he received was clear then why did he argue with so many people. Why was it different than what the other Apostles received? Nevertheless, the original Apostles found that his message was for the most part valid and,

[15] And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; [16] As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures (writings), unto their own destruction. [17] Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

The word 'scripture' here could very well be a group of letters already written and therefore the word 'writings' could have been used. And since the 'scriptures' hadn't quite been put together collectively at this time, I go with the idea of of letters. So, yes, Paul's writings were becoming as important as the Gospels, and other writings, but they had not yet become 'scripture'.

As far as Luke is concerned, he traveled and became friends with Paul, so what he wrote was influenced by Paul. Luke was only a witness to Paul's life, AFTER the Damascus road.

@Cap Paul had disagreements with the Apostles. Odd.
@cnystrom Indeed. In fact that is part of Paul's argument that he is not a lessor apostle, because he contended against Peter to his face, and he was right and Peter was wrong. See Galatians 2.

Galatians 2 is written by Paul, so of course he is going to say that. And Something strange was going on here in regards to the Paul's relationship with some of the original Apostles.

@Cap but I am saying that I believe Paul has a message to declare that came from Christ, no different than can be done TODAY for someone that God chooses to use to share His message TODAY.

@cnystrom I do not see the argument here. Of course the message can be shared today. It is being shared today by Christians all around the globe. From the pulpit to missionaries in far off lands. What has that to do with Paul's apostleship?

Misunderstanding here. Yes. of course the message that Paul proclaimed is being shared today. No argument from me. A very important message I might add.

@Cap But if Paul is elevated to 'A'psotle then that leaves little room to accept an understanding that God can use a man today to send a message.

@cnystrom Unless....UNLESS...you are saying we can come up with some sort of new Gospel, some sort of new revelation. Something not found in the Bible. Something delivered by Angels or on golden plates perhaps? What are you suggesting? Who are the candidates? What is this new message? Put in on the table and let us consider it.Again, there is no argument that God can. Indeed God can do anything.The more important question is did God, and is God doing this? If the answer is yes, than we need to see who and when to properly consider it. No one has, yet, stepped forward with specifics.

And this is where we have come. No one said there was a new message, either from Angels or Gold Plates. There are no new 'A'postles. The only thing that was said, or implied, was that just as God revealed Himself to Paul after the ascension, that I believe (read I believe and you don't have to) he can do the same today if He has a message that would help someone on their path to a greater relationship with Him. I have wept at a message I knew that came straight form God through a man to me, so I know perfectly well that God revealed something to him, for me and who knows who else. And nope, he was not an 'A'postle.

Paul was a human and he made a lot of mistakes in his interruptions of the directions he received. If he had figured it out and the message he received was clear then why did he argue with so many people. Why was it different than what the other Apostles received? Nevertheless, the original Apostles found that his message was for the most part valid
The word 'scripture' here could very well be a group of letters already written and therefore the word 'writings' could have been used. And since the 'scriptures' hadn't quite been put together collectively at this time, I go with the idea of of letters. So, yes, Paul's writings were becoming as important as the Gospels, and other writings, but they had not yet become 'scripture'.
Galatians 2 is written by Paul, so of course he is going to say that. And Something strange was going on here in regards to the Paul's relationship with some of the original Apostles

I've been watching this because this is a point of view that I had only recently heard about from someone outside of the forum and was wondering what the evidence is for the understanding the Paul was not and Apostle.

I do have a question though. So it sounds like your saying that Paul exaggerated or mislead in Galatians 2. Or that the possibility is there for him to have done so. Am I understanding that correctly?

I've been watching this because this is a point of view that I had only recently heard about from someone outside of the forum and was wondering what the evidence is for the understanding the Paul was not and Apostle.

I do have a question though. So it sounds like your saying that Paul exaggerated or mislead in Galatians 2. Or that the possibility is there for him to have done so. Am I understanding that correctly?

When the idea comes up that Paul was not a Apostle people quickly jump to, it's a claim that he is a False Apostle. There my by some who view him that way. But I don't hold that view. I don't believe he was exaggerating or making things up. I believe he was preaching a message that he received in his spirit and as time went by the fruit of his teaching was good. We today eat that fruit.

I don't believe him claiming to 'see' the Savior in a vision makes him one of the twelve, anymore than it does Stephen. But there are things that make me wonder how far all that really goes.

Galatians 2

6 As for those who were held in high esteem—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism—they added nothing to my message.

Pretty arrogant talk here.

11 When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13 The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.

Aggressive talk to one who had seen Christ first hand, and even he himself (Paul) being responsible for killing Christians. (Why was Paul never stoned for his acts of murder?)

14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

Matthew 18:15-17 “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

The way an Apostle seemingly stated in Mathew would deal with the situation and the way Paul did are two different things.

Anyway to answer you quesiton, I don't think Paul is a false apostle. Exaggerating may or may not be the term. I believe he was struggling in his message to try and understand his mission. But, for the most part I think he got a majority of it right and I thank God I have his words to read.

And again, the reason this is all important to me is that if God can reveal a message to an ordinary man (in his spirit) after the ascension, then he can do it today.

When the idea comes up that Paul was not a Apostle people quickly jump to, it's a claim that he is a False Apostle. There my by some who view him that way. But I don't hold that view. I don't believe he was exaggerating or making things up. I believe he was preaching a message that he received in his spirit and as time went by the fruit of his teaching was good. We today eat that fruit.

I don't believe him claiming to 'see' the Savior in a vision makes him one of the twelve, anymore than it does Stephen. But there are things that make me wonder how far all that really goes.

Galatians 2

6 As for those who were held in high esteem—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism—they added nothing to my message.

Pretty arrogant talk here.

11 When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13 The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.

Aggressive talk to one who had seen Christ first hand, and even he himself (Paul) being responsible for killing Christians. (Why was Paul never stoned for his acts of murder?)

14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

Matthew 18:15-17 “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

The way an Apostle seemingly stated in Mathew would deal with the situation and the way Paul did are two different things.

Anyway to answer you quesiton, I don't think Paul is a false apostle. Exaggerating may or may not be the term. I believe he was struggling in his message to try and understand his mission. But, for the most part I think he got a majority of it right and I thank God I have his words to read.

And again, the reason this is all important to me is that if God can reveal a message to an ordinary man (in his spirit) after the ascension, then he can do it today.
It amuses me that your main objection to Paul is that he would make a hell of an entertaining BF member.

Back