• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

EXERCISE

sweetlissa

Real Person
Female
If this doesn't belong in Health then I don't know where it belongs.

Hubby is planning to run a marathon when he comes home. He made it clear to me that he would like me to participate. At first I said that I would go and wait for him to finish. But the more I thought about it the more interested I got. So I checked out the website. I can do a half marathon or a whole marathon. I can run or run/walk. So I thought that If I had that as a goal, it would be a good goal for exercising. So hubby found me a "beginning running" schedule and I have been following it for 2 weeks now.

The first week, my assignment was to walk 6 minutes and run 1 minute three times in one workout and to do that at least 3 times in the week. I did it 4 times.

This week my assignment is to walk 5 minutes, run 2 do this three times in one workout and to do that at least 3 times in the week. I have already done it three times and it is only Wednesday. I plan to do it at least 2 times more.

Next week I have to run 4 minutes and walk 3. I do that three times in a workout and am to do that workout at least 4 times.

So I hope you will all at least join me in spirit. I figure I can't lose cause no matter what happens I am getting in shape, taking care of myself and pleasing my husband.

SweetLissa

way to go, girl!

please seek the Lord on the amount of actual running. it can hard on joints once we get past those youthful stages.
but excercise is something that most of us could use a little more of.
thanx for leading the way :D

Yup. Three cheers for SwettLissa.

And there's no harm in walking a lot before the running takes over. My office mate started out weighing 260. Walked for a soiid YEAR before he started running more than very short distances. Now he runs marathons and has the most amazingly GOOD bloodwork I've ever seen.

Sir BumbleBerry and I are still trying to crawl our way down to that 260 starting point so we can start walking. :lol:

Naaaaw. That would be WORSE!!! Sir BumbleBerry the Bubbly helps me keep it light! Without him, just THINK how heavy, serious, ponderous, and full of myself (instead of hot air) I might become. Tragedy upon tragedy. Lord spare us all !!! :roll:

Besides, the poor boy, being a mere figment of my overworked imagination, just don't weigh nothin' atall !!!

(Well, there was a time when he manifested and materialized, making me put on clownface and silly clothes and blow baloons and do rope tricks -- but that has been a number of years, and my faithful small sidekick is all grown up and recently became a daddy his ownself, and the face paint is all dried up, and ... )

I think Sir BumbleBerry and I will go for a crawl. It LOOKS like a "walk", but we're insisting it's a "crawl", cause that sounds more dramatic than an "amble".

Marathon? I have done a couple marathons , 10k, 5K runs. A marathon is different. The training owns you. I would do at least a 20 mile run each Sunday afternoon and run several times during the week. Walking is healthy and may help condition before even thinking about running. However, walking is no preparation for a marathon.

CecilW said:
Besides, the poor boy, being a mere figment of my overworked imagination, just don't weigh nothin' atall !!!
hmmm, about all of those lollipops that this figment of your imagination keeps eating........and your diabetes.......
HOUSTON, we have found the problem!

sweetlissa said:
I can do a half marathon or a whole marathon. I can run or run/walk.
welltan, she is not "in it to win it". she may not even finish half, but she will be participating in something that her husband wants to do and getting healthier at the same time.
i am sure that you did not mean to be discouraging, but i would have felt that spirit in your response

Steve,
I know Welltan pretty well and I know he was only trying to caution me to be careful. Thanks for jumping in to save me but I am not a damsel and I am not in distress.

Smile, it's all good.

Main Entry: dam·sel
Pronunciation: \ˈdam-zəl\
Variant(s): also dam·o·sel or dam·o·zel \ˈda-mə-ˌzel\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English damesel, from Anglo-French dameisele, from Vulgar Latin *domnicella young noblewoman, diminutive of Latin domina lady
Date: 13th century
: a young woman: aarchaic : a young unmarried woman of noble birth b: girl
to us oldsters you are a young woman. (maybe not to a ten year old you, but hey, they are not getting paid to think here)
sir galahad bumblberry (a distant cousin to cec's friend) will never ask if a damsel (any woman percieved by me to be younger than dirt) is in distress first. we just rescue and ask forgiveness later. :D
so please forgive us. i have to speak for both of us because sir galahad bumbleberry is off in the corner muttering something about the perception of the rescued not being valid. i think that it may take two lollipops to calm him down.

The definition said young unmarried woman. I am obviously married, although at the moment deprived of my husband. Thank you for your chivalry, kind sirs. I appreciate it beyond measure, but I only want you to know that as knights go, Welltan is also well established in chivalry. He even checked my oil for me before I left a visit to their home.

Yours gratefully,

Lady SweetLissa

steve said:
so please forgive us. i have to speak for both of us because sir galahad bumbleberry is off in the corner muttering something about the perception of the rescued not being valid. i think that it may take two lollipops to calm him down.

OH, NO!!! I've created a MONSTER! ROFLMAO

Yes, SweetLissa, Weltan is indeed a chivalrous man. One I have known and admired for 10 years or so. No-one who knows him could ever expect that anything out of his mouth in a situation such as this was intended to discourage. Only to protect and shelter and care for.

I have concluded that the same applies to Steve. So the challenge would seem to be to get the two of them together so that they'll never misunderstand each other again! *grin*

Whatever............I would certainly not want to discourage anyone from physical activity. I need to get back in shape myself. That is hard when it is so hot outside. And, I have never won a race in my life. (except for a race to the refrigerator with my daughter). Refrigerator races are very fair. Anyone who wins all the time will soon lose. And vice-versa.

a young woman: aarchaic : a young unmarried woman of noble birth b: girl
a young woman
you may have missed that first part. i would never impugn your marriage

i have made mistakes in my communication and have conveyed meanings that i did not feel. i appreciate (well, most of the time) it when they are brought to my attention.

You are fine Steve. And so is Lissa and Cecil and I will watch my wording better. I am ready for a retreat and all the hugs and the food and fellowship.

Update

Well as of last week I could run 4 minutes with 3 minutes of walking in between. Doing that 4 times in one workout and doing that 4 times or more in a week.
This week I have not achieved anything. The goal is to do 5 minutes running with 2 minutes walking. Well, tomorrow is another day.

Hubby decided not to do the marathon, because it is 11/15 and we don't know for sure when he will be home. We will find another one later.

Meanwhile I still keep on trying.

SweetLissa

Keep it up, many times the results seem to plateau and if you keep on keeping on, you will see a good jump. You are inspiring to do this and post it on the forum. I might just start running in the morning instead of coffee with the chickens. Well, maybe run before coffee with the chickens.

Paul

C & C cheering wildly!!!!

C & C
Oh no, could that be sweat breaking on your foreheads. Better not cheer too wildly.

Paul,
I am trying to teach the dogs to run with me. Then I can kill two birds with one stone.

SweetLissa

*grin* We're waaaay down in South Florida, Sweet. We don't have to cheer for sweat to bust out all over. All we gots to do is be so foolish as to open an exterior door. :lol:

Back