• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Faith vs Obedience

To @Edward and all others here, I have an acknowledgment to make: I did note when I read the original post from @steve that this was posted in the Hebrew Roots section, and my comment wasn't intended to stir up any trouble; at the moment I wrote it, in fact, I thought I was just being supportive of the general proposition, but I see now that I've created some polarization. That wasn't my intention, and I want to emphasize that it simply is not my place to take sides in any intra-Hebrew-Roots discussions, nor do I have one ounce of desire to challenge the Hebrew Roots mindset. You are my brothers, but this is your playground, and it simply isn't my place to walk into your playground and stir up trouble.

I pray you will all forgive me for stepping out of line.

Be well, my brothers in Christ.
Your comments were well within the bounds constructive conversation.

I disagree. On another site someone mentioned Billy Graham talking about how faith and faith alone is what truly matters. He said that works are a fruit of faith but that some religions and some religious people mistakenly think they're a requirement of salvation. He said that if a man was to find himself on a desert island and then come to Christ and then to live out his life and die on that island without ever doing any works wouldn't he be saved? Then works are not a requirement of salvation, but instead they are something people want to do when they are saved.
A man alone on a desert island will spend the rest of his life doing something. Those things are "works", and some will be either good or bad (some will obviously be neutral). Certainly with no direct contact with other humans the opportunity to do good and bad to others is reduced, but the opportunity to do good or bad works is not eliminated. He is living in God's creation, and has every opportunity to treat it reverently and carefully as a good steward, which means also preserving the island's resources as an act of hospitality to future castaways, or show contempt for God and his fellow man by destroying them. God will consider his works in the situation he finds himself in - what he did with the talents he was entrusted with.

A man alone on a desert island will spend the rest of his life doing something. Those things are "works", and some will be either good or bad (some will obviously be neutral). Certainly with no direct contact with other humans the opportunity to do good and bad to others is reduced, but the opportunity to do good or bad works is not eliminated. He is living in God's creation, and has every opportunity to treat it reverently and carefully as a good steward, which means also preserving the island's resources as an act of hospitality to future castaways, or show contempt for God and his fellow man by destroying them. God will consider his works in the situation he finds himself in - what he did with the talents he was entrusted with.
Totally agree. Keep in mind the sovereign and providential work of God to have you in the place He wants you to be to do the things He wants you to do. An awesome example is the man Joseph in the book of Genesis. Joseph's response to his brothers is such a challenging example; Gen. 50:20, But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.

Simple take home; never forget the sovereign and providenial hand of God in your life and the lives of others. Live righteously. Shalom

he can also spend a lot of time offering up prayers for other people and thanksgiving and praise :)

As far as my understanding goes, no one needs to wear a yellow star when posting/responding in this particular section.
The sole reason that I put this in the Messianic area was because I felt that someone could easily interpret “obedience” as obeying the OT and restarting the same old worn out fight.
I appreciate EVERYONE’S contributions to this discussion. We see things nuanced somewhat differently, but we ALL see a responsibility towards our Savior and his Father.

Iron sharpens iron, as long as we don’t start a forest fire with the sparks.

ps. I guess that I should have hit the meat button after all.
What does the meat button mean?

What does the meat button mean?
Meat is a label you can give your thread when you start it to let people know that you will be discussing meat topics in a heavy way. You can also label your thread 'general' which means it's a normal thread, or 'support' so people know that you're needing support and/or prayer and they should be a bit more gentle when responding rather than getting into a deep theological conversation as in 'meat'.

Meat also means one should refrain from engaging in the discussion if one is prone to getting one's feelings hurt and wants others to treat him or her with kid gloves.

Meat is a label you can give your thread when you start it to let people know that you will be discussing meat topics in a heavy way. You can also label your thread 'general' which means it's a normal thread, or 'support' so people know that you're needing support and/or prayer and they should be a bit more gentle when responding rather than getting into a deep theological conversation as in 'meat'.
Oh ok

Back