• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

False Prophets

You can keep all those things and it’s just a big show if you are at the same time speaking presumptuously for God. Consistency... that’s all I ask for on this topic
In my opinion, she just shared what she felt that the Lord showed her.
She wasn’t proclaiming aThus Saith The Lord prophecy.

Last edited:
I told myself that I was going to regret getting involved, but I didn’t listen.

But here the same fundamental problem is occurring: we have people discussing the nuances of prophecy - and then someone pounds on the window with the broader opinion that no modern prophecy is valid at all.
This is a false representation of what I said. Do all the prophesying you want, just do it for real and in accordance with Scripture. That’s not what I’m seeing here, nuanced or not.

Ok, I’m confused then.
What is the problem if it isn’t being claimed as an official prophecy?
That is the problem. God showed her this, so I’m not really allowed to question it, but it’s also not “an official prophecy” so again I’m not allowed to question it. This violates everything about real prophesying in Scripture. We’re told to test everything, but if I’m not allowed question it how can it be real? Real prophecy stands up to all scrutiny. If a person is conveying messages from God, that is prophecy, and should be open to scrutiny and judgement. If you’re prophesying and you become offended because I’m scrutinizing said prophecy, I find that very offensive to God and to the body of Christ at large.

That is the problem. God showed her this, so I’m not really allowed to question it, but it’s also not “an official prophecy” so again I’m not allowed to question it. This violates everything about real prophesying in Scripture. We’re told to test everything, but if I’m not allowed question it how can it be real? Real prophecy stands up to all scrutiny. If a person is conveying messages from God, that is prophecy, and should be open to scrutiny and judgement. If you’re prophesying and you become offended because I’m scrutinizing said prophecy, I find that very offensive to God and to the body of Christ at large.
So on another thread I am arguing that Yah is harsher than the other party wants to believe, but on this thread I will make the claim that I don’t think that He is judging this as harshly as you are. 🤷

So on another thread I am arguing that Yah is harsher than the other party wants to believe, but on this thread I will make the claim that I don’t think that He is judging this as harshly as you are. 🤷
I believe AsForMeAndMyHouse has conveyed the level of harshness which best represents, within this assembly, the Lord's "harshness" (ie "seriousness"-- all adjectives fall short to some extent in describing divinity) and also shows the greatest amount of concern for those who would be tempted in this way.
It's not that it is impossible for a person to correctly say they have a word, a dream, a vision that is 100% from the Lord, however.

I have noticed some contemporary Christians seeking out prophetic interpretations, dreams, visions, and actual prophesies with a hunger for something that only faith in Jesus should provide (and can provide). These are very anxious times! Personally, if I thought God was providing one of these dreams, visions, or prophesies, I would be very suspicious of the unconscious workings of my, for lack of a better word, inner ego.
Thank you everyone for all you have provided to this discussion.

Let me just point out that her dream required nothing of anyone.

Is there such a thing as prophephobic?

In my opinion, she just shared what she felt that the Lord showed her.
She wasn’t proclaiming aThus Saith The Lord prophecy.
Sharing something one received as divine revelation, which is what it looks like to me and apparently to you as well, is prophecy.
Let me just point out that her dream required nothing of anyone.

Is there such a thing as prophephobic?
Prophesying requires us to test it against Scripture.

And no, phobias are irrational fears. I don’t think anyone here has an irrational fear of real prophecy. I would say the fear of the consequences for speaking presumptuously for God and for not testing those presumptive revelations is a very rational fear.

If the prophecy requires nothing of anyone, your responsibility is to discern whether or not she should be judged for speaking?

I’m not sure what you are asking me
I’m asking you, if a word from someone has no requirement of anyone, why is it not ignoreable?
Why is it necessary to test it, what is to test?
I dont remember her exact words, but she said that she didn’t think that it was literally the statue, but the liberty that it symbolizes.
If she is wrong when all is said and done, then never believe anything that she ever sees in future dreams again. That’s what judging a prophet looks like.

Personally, I put prophets and pastors in the same category.
If they are making a living off of it, I start getting a lot more picky.

Yes, but it's important to know that people can be wrong with what they think themselves. People often attack people who've had dreams etc because they've said something wrong, but they've said what they think is going to happen and not what God said was going to happen. It's important to keep these two things seperate, and many people do that perfectly fine.

One way to tell a false prophet is to see them intertwine the two of these things so it sounds like it's all God speaking, but later on when it doesn't happen they can pull it out and say it was just them suggesting that, not God saying it.

Also, dream, visions etc, can be symbolic. So, for example, I have seen the Statue of Liberty falling. Do I think it's actually going to physically fall? No, I do not. I think it's symbolic of the loss of freedom.
That right there was her sharing a dream that she had that was strange and she saw as symbolic of the loss of freedom. Notice she did not say it was from God or that her thoughts on it's symbolism was an interpretation from God.
There is a difference between being a prophet and having prophetic dreams and visions occasionally. Like I said, I have not met anyone who claims to be a prophet now and actually holds to the same standards as scripture dictates.
Nobody is perfect, people get it wrong. If anyone, prophet or not, says that God says something, and it doesn't happen, then they are false. No ifs, buts, or maybes.
But I'm talking about someone having a general conversation about something they've seen in a dream, and getting something wrong in their interpretation of it. it doesn't mean the dream was wrong. It doesn't mean it wasn't from God. It doesn't mean they're a false prophet. They made a mistake and read too much into something they shouldn't have.

In a nut shell, and correct me if I’m wrong, you’re saying it’s ok to wonder about a strange dream that one has had, but it becomes false prophesy when one starts insinuating that God is the author of their dream or their interpretation of it? If so, I could agree with that. Certainly people have strange and interesting and intense dreams, and it is ok to ponder or discuss them, but one should never begin to insinuate that the dream or it’s interpretation are from God unless one is 100% sure... at which point it becomes you speaking for God....

@Asforme&myhouse can you show me in these quotes where the bad lady hurt you? ;)

Last edited:
Possibly off-topic:

What would you (anyone who wants to respond) say is the proper way for someone to bring a prophecy to the Assembly? Should it just be shouted out mid service? Spread around person to person? Should it be told to the elders beforehand and deliberated upon? Or should just be written down and everyone just watches to see if it'd real or not?

Possibly off-topic:

What would you (anyone who wants to respond) say is the proper way for someone to bring a prophecy to the Assembly? Should it just be shouted out mid service? Spread around person to person? Should it be told to the elders beforehand and deliberated upon? Or should just be written down and everyone just watches to see if it'd real or not?
Good question and I don't know. I for one don't ever say I have a prophecy from God. I've shared dreams that were strangely symbolic that I've thought might have been from God but I'm always careful to communicate that I'm not saying it's a prophecy. I could be the milk and cookies I ate.

I had a very vivid dream once that the rental on the upper floor of my house was billowing smoke and the fire department came.
It was so vivid that I walked all around the house looking up there to see if I could discern a problem.

The next day the oil burning heater “blew up”, it was nothing but smoke, no fire. And they called the fire department.

Then there was the time, before we ever dated, that the words “Don’t worry about it, you’re going to marry me” went through my mind when giving Ali a ride home.
She said that my face got a funny look and she wanted to know what I was thinking. It took me a bit before I was able to tell her
She may presently regret having asked, but that’s her problem.

But I am NOT a prophet, I think that these things are Yah’s little joke.

Back