• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Family protection without powder that burns

steve

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
In some areas of the world there are restrictions on the use of implements that employ burning powder to send a piece of mineral towards a being that appears to threaten family members.
There are also people who are restricted due to past infractions.
Or times when noise might be a concern.

I have started this thread to discuss implements that would be helpful in any of these situations.

This guy is a hoot and lives in a restrictive area.

Blowguns, spears, bows, crossbows.

It’s widely regarded that in terms of melee weapons, a spearman is one of the most greatly to be feared opponents.

For simplicity sake from a low physical prowess and fast training, blowguns are cheap and effective.

Crossbows are powerful and easier to learn but far more expensive than all the others so far.

Compound and traditional bows are lower on my list for the skill factor and strength needed.

All should be purchased and kept as hunting implements. If there was ever a defensive need to use the hunting implements, your attorney will appreciate the fact you have the thing strictly for taking game, and mere proximity combined with the need when faced with a deadly threat caused you to use such a thing.

Wasp spray kept by front door is for wasps and other "pests". It is cheap, nasty, probably effective, and shoots pretty far. As Nick says, it is only used because it happens to available when the emergency occurred. Using it against people violates pesticide application laws.

There are larger caliber high powered air rifles that people hunt deer with.

Machetes are handy tools. They are cheap, widely available, and very scary. Everyone with a garden should have a few. I use one for chopping down corn stalks.

Blow gun 👍. I've used mine to shoot a dart straight through two back to back gallon milk jugs. Penetrating 18" of water and then just disappearing out the other side is pretty impressive. It is deadly, but probably not a good defensive tool.

The key is to use the sharp metal darts with the orange part on back unscrewed and just baaaaaarely connected. It detaches upon impact permitting excellent penetration.

A short spear is a very effective weapon, but doesn't have other plausible uses.

I sometimes keep a Cold Steel "spetsnaz" type shovel in my trunk as a handy tool that could double as an improvised weapon.

1699853860631.png

Last edited:
Seriously, I think this is a good training course - we acquired a video of his years ago, and this is a good reminder that I should go through it again with the family. BET is an incredibly simple self-defence system that is very easy to remember. In summary, Balls, Eyes, Throat. Pick whichever is handiest and hit it hard with whatever is available. Object being to cause an instinctive reaction in the opponent. That instinctive reaction will either give you a moment to get away, or open up a different one of those targets to hit with something else. It's crude, but is very simple to remember and is enough to get anyone started. Proper martial arts training will give far more skill as to how to hit those targets effectively, but this is a good underlying philosophy to start with and can be taught to anyone of any age in half an hour.
There are probably plenty of free "target based self defence" videos out there also, I just know of this guy.

$10 Orc Sword

Oh if you want to watch someone who will test medieval weapons, armor, siege weapons, DIY weapons, in practical ways and sometimes in the more, fantasy way, to see of practicality? Even if weapons from movies/anime/video games are practical. Watch Shadiversity and they’re Australian so that makes it even better!

Useful pushing kicks are good against vicious dogs when defenseless. Using your longest tool on your body, your leg, with shoes on your feet instead of the alternative, a fleshy hand and arm, is much better at deterring the dog as you continually back up. Saving you enough time to climb a vehicle, or call appropriate help. This is vital. Dogs are like lions in that if they wish to kill you they will eventually switch to your neck or face when they have you on the ground.

Crowbar
Baseball/cricket bat
lugwrench
wooden baton (for use with one hand like police used to carry)
modern, telescoping baton (what most US police carry now)
long, heavy flashlight (like the old Maglights that took several batteries and made a good baton)

The maglight is particularly practical as you can hold it near the bulb end with one hand to shine in somebody's face, then flick the wrist for a very fast crack on the head with the heavy end. And of course it's also a good flashlight so you are not necessarily carrying a "weapon"--you just happened to have a flashlight in your hand.

My husband has killed critters on our place with a blowgun.

What are legal and effective tools that over the road truck drivers could carry and use?
Anything that looks genuinely indigenous, bonus points if it's covered in feathers and/or beads. It's not a weapon, it's a family heirloom. If you really want to go anywhere, wear the right clothing too.

Seriously, you can carry these sorts of absolutely lethal weapons anywhere.

Here's a bunch of well-armed chaps wandering into a sports stadium:
proxy-image

It's not just for men either:
proxy-image

Seriously, you can go anywhere dressed like this. It's even better than wearing a fluorescent vest and carrying a clipboard.

I mean, this heavily armed bloke is just walking up to the king (well, the crown prince at the time of this picture):
charles-camilla-2015_0.jpg

Can't stop him. That would be racist. :)

What are legal and effective tools that over the road truck drivers could carry and use?
While it technically violates the terms of this discussion, devices that send flares into the sky have been recommended as safety devices for women to carry on their trucks. These are evidently legal to carry in case of emergency, for example if one has been buried in a snowstorm and needs rescue.

Tire thumpers are good, but supposedly the wrist thong makes them a weapon.
If you carry a baseball bat, bring along a ball and glove also, your laser will thank you.
A good crescent wrench is always useful.
Your kitchen cutlery is supposed to be maximum 6”.

On a serious note, I will go back to my previous point about hands and feet, to note that any weapon you carry may actually escalate a situation to violence that did not need to become violent had no weapon been present. This is one of the major advantages of hands and feet - they do not look like weapons. They are not provocative. You may still be able to defuse the situation without violence - your tongue is your greatest weapon at this stage of proceedings, and your hands and feet do not undermine it. But once you pull out a knife or whatever, there's going to be a fight.
If you are really pushed to it and do need one, there are weapons everywhere. So you don't really need to be carrying a random item that can be used as a weapon. If you really need one, there'll probably be something else lying around that will suffice. Every truck driver has a toolbox.

One of the serious advantages of being trained to use primitive weapons is that the same techniques can be used with anything. I learnt to use the taiaha as a child. Those techniques can be used with any sturdy pole or long tool. My son is learning a martial art where they train with short sticks. The skills learnt there can apply to any club-like object.

Now, obviously there are situations where that sort of thing won't cut it, and something more drastic is required - but this thread is specifically not about those more drastic options.

- but this thread is specifically not about those more drastic options.
Actually, it is about the more drastic options that are at hand when burning powder devices are not available.
It is about protecting your family, not just addressing an accoster in the grocery store.
The possibility that multiple people will come on your property to to relieve you of your food, and maybe have some sport, does exist in the future. Or if they are taking strong exception to your particular brand of faith.

Slings like David used are coming back in to popularity, it requires a lot of practice, but it may be time well spent for young boys.

Back