• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Family protection without powder that burns

I thought we were talking about a trucker protecting himself on the road. I wasn't talking about home defence.

For that, top-end are multi-shot crossbows and air rifles. Slings just can't be used in close quarters and take a massive amount of training (we've had fun with them ourselves), but modern slingshots are almost as powerful and far easier to learn.

Slings like David used are coming back in to popularity, it requires a lot of practice, but it may be time well spent for young boys.
Our son makes some nice ones and can send a lead ball through 1/2 inch plywood. Of course the boys also killed mice by letting them have a fast flight into the plywood. He had a lot of time to practice out watching the sheep.

I thought we were talking about a trucker protecting himself on the road. I wasn't talking about home defence.

For that, top-end are multi-shot crossbows and air rifles. Slings just can't be used in close quarters and take a massive amount of training (we've had fun with them ourselves), but modern slingshots are almost as powerful and far easier to learn.
I apologize. I derailed the discussion a bit with my question about truckers.

I recently spoke with a coworker who's son is a new over the road truck driver. She said he has already had to chase off potential thieves several times. She also gave him a slingshot to keep as a potential defensive tool. I know Steve is also in that line of work, and was curious if he had any suggestions.

If I was a truck driver, I would certainly want to carry at least a handgun (and probably a shotgun or rifle as well). I know that isn't feasible due to regulations in certain states.

I was always a huge fan of the MacGyver TV series!

Our son makes some nice ones and can send a lead ball through 1/2 inch plywood. Of course the boys also killed mice by letting them have a fast flight into the plywood. He had a lot of time to practice out watching the sheep.
Is your son named David? Any bears yet? 😉

I also enjoyed MacGyver back in the day. In retrospect, his irrational fear of firearms was annoying and stupid.
True, but he was very creative in coming up with weapons to use, and it sort of fits the topic of this thread.

Back