• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Family Worship

Do you ever worship together as a family using your own instruments?

• Of course we do. Silly question.

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • We'd like to, but nobody plays an instrument.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, I might be interested.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • That's not really our bag. Thanks, but no thanks.

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

andrew

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
The discussion over at the Dallas-area retreat thread reminded me of another idea that was born at that retreat. I'm curious about the number of families here that worship together as a family. Particularly, I'm interested in the ones that "would if they could". If you're already doing it, great! If you're not interested, peace! But if you've thought about this and would be interested in learning some songs, or even learning how to play guitar or a hand drum, then please let me know, either here or via pm. I'm pretty sure we can work something out....

andrew said:
The discussion over at the Dallas-area retreat thread reminded me of another idea that was born at that retreat. I'm curious about the number of families here that worship together as a family. Particularly, I'm interested in the ones that "would if they could". If you're already doing it, great! If you're not interested, peace! But if you've thought about this and would be interested in learning some songs, or even learning how to play guitar or a hand drum, then please let me know, either here or via pm. I'm pretty sure we can work something out....

Hi Andrew,

Actually, I would love to learn how to play the drums....the whole shabang! I love percussion and currently am a timbrelist (is that even a word? LOL). I play the tambourine and love it very much! It is wonderful to me to get lost in the Spirit playing the tambourine.

I often think of what it would be like to be able to play the drums and having full freedom to majorly get into worship with all that is within me on a full drum set...whatever that exactly means, I do not know....just what I have seen, but I don't see women playing drums all that much. Any suggestions?

Love in Him,
Deborah

Deborah, if you love playing timbrel/tambourine and dancing in worship, you'll be ecstatic playing a drum set!

I say that, and then on reflection, I'm thinking it's more like this: If you really enjoy the rhythms of the tambourine, and then you dance as a part of that expression of music, then you'll quickly fall in love with the "whole body experience" of playing drums. If you really enjoy the dancing part of it, and basically play tambourine as a way to punctuate and enhance your dance, then you might find sitting on a drum 'throne' sort of confining. Best way to find out? Try it! ;)

And they're not mutually exclusive. I am a multi-instrumentalist, and asking what instrument I like best is sort of like asking which of my children I love the most. If you like drumming, you can do it all as the mood strikes you or the spirit leads.

If you haven't already acquired a drum set before then, :eek: plan to play some on my set in TN if we can arrange a time to do that. I can show you some stuff and you can see for yourself if it's something you're interested in pursuing.

You may not understand (yet) exactly what it means, but I can promise you that if what you're feeling is a desire to have "full freedom to majorly get into worship with all that is within me on a full drum set", you won't be disappointed. It is very freeing, and very powerful.

As far as women playing drums, try googling "women drummers" or "female drummers"; you might be surprised. Karen Carpenter and Meg White come to mind immediately as pop/rock drummers, and Sheila E and Cindy Blackman are serious percussionists. Search for any of those names on YouTube and watch them play. Women can definitely hold their own behind a drumset. :cool:

There are also all kinds of hand drums and frame drums you can play as a way to develop beyond the timbrel (and yes, timbrelist is a word!) and head in the direction of a drumset. Try searching YouTube for "frame drum", "djembe", or "doumbek" and see if anything looks appealing. Happy drumming!

This sounds like a lot of fun. The kids and I love the worship part of fellowship with Biblical families.

I played a lot of musical instruments in my younger days (recorder, "early" woodwind instruments whose names I do not remember, 'cello, flute), but I am seriously out of practice!

We attempted family worship when I first joined the family. Unfortunately it was awkward and stilted and did not really serve the purpose so we did not continue :(

Well, it may not be for everybody--that's partly what I'm trying to figure out here. I know, though, that it's easier and more enjoyable when everybody's participating and playing something, so if you're interested in giving it another shot, or if anyone else here is interested in this, I'd be happy to help out any way I could. Do you still have any instruments? (A lot of people once they quit playing eventually give up their instrument(s), which then makes it that much harder to get back into it later.)

We come from the Church of Christ tradition, so while we play instruments, we typically do not use them for family worship. What we do is we just hand out the song books and start singing. When you come over to our house in Austin, you will have to try it our way for something different. :)

Hi Andrew!

Thanks for the info and encouragement. Yes, I'm looking for the full-body experience in worship. When I play the tambourine, I can't usually dance because I'm very concentrated on what I'm playing on the tambourine.

I, like Eternitee, have played other instruments. I played the clarinet in grade school and took organ lessons. At the Pentecostal church, as a kid, I played the accordian. As a teenager, I played the guitar. But my favorite "get lost in the Spirit" instrument is the piano. I did take what I learned from the organ lessons into playing the piano, but the organ lessons did not help all that much, except to help me remember chords. At one point, I knew most all chord combinations, i.e. majors, minors, diminished, flats, sharps, and 7ths. (I don't know if I called them the correct way). I basically taught myself how to play the piano by ear. I also play the flute by ear. I've forgotted the "how to" play the clarinet, so I just play that by ear as well. I really love playing the piano, but I need to be consistent in practicing. Ali was giving me lessons for a while, but you know how it is, things get busy for both of us and weeks slip by. I'm sure we will get back together on that one though. Steve even brought that up the other day. LOL I've been pretty blessed by the Lord to be able to play musical instruments by ear. I don't think there has been one I have picked up that I haven't been able to play something fairly decent by ear. I know how to read music, but applying that to various instruments is a lot harder and slower! :(

I want to get my hands on a harp and just let go in the Spirit...that is one of those "spiritual longings" I have! That would be amazing!

Thank you for offering to let me try out your drum set by teaching me some things in Tennessee. I really appreciate that. One of my biggest problems is how nervous I get playing any instrument around people. I mess up because it is so nerve racking! LOL However, that doesn't usually stop me!

I do sing some and have written a few songs. But, the vocalist in our home is Ali! She is amazing! She also plays the piano beautifully, plays the guitar, and she writes music as well. Steven plays his double-headed drums...I don't know what it is called, but it is pretty large and looks like a giant bongo.

I really look forward to the Tennessee trip! You really know how to get everyone excitied! Praise God for that and for you and your family!

Love in Him,
Deborah

cnystrom said:
We come from the Church of Christ tradition, so while we play instruments, we typically do not use them for family worship. What we do is we just hand out the song books and start singing. When you come over to our house in Austin, you will have to try it our way for something different. :)
Deal! :)

Seeking Great Pearl said:
Thanks for the info and encouragement. Yes, I'm looking for the full-body experience in worship. When I play the tambourine, I can't usually dance because I'm very concentrated on what I'm playing on the tambourine.
Definitely time to try the drumset.... ;)

I want to get my hands on a harp and just let go in the Spirit...that is one of those "spiritual longings" I have! That would be amazing!
It's not a harp, but a friend of mine makes an instrument called a "Zither" (not the traditional kind) that is fun and easy to play. I'll bring one to TN, or you could take a look at his website at http://www.zitherusa.com and see what you think. It's basically a flipped, solid body, Appalachian dulcimer, and they're a blast to play. Could be something easy to start with and explore.

I do sing some and have written a few songs. But, the vocalist in our home is Ali! She is amazing! She also plays the piano beautifully, plays the guitar, and she writes music as well. Steven plays his double-headed drums...I don't know what it is called, but it is pretty large and looks like a giant bongo.
The song writing and singing sound fun! Have you ever recorded any of your music? As for Steve's drums, would that be a pair of congas? (By double-headed, do you mean each drum has two heads, one on each end, or do you mean that it's a pair of drums that each has one head? Are they about waist high?)

Nathan7 said:
Does "YouTube" count as an instrument? :)
Anything that makes a joyful noise! ;)

Andrew said: The song writing and singing sound fun! Have you ever recorded any of your music? As for Steve's drums, would that be a pair of congas? (By double-headed, do you mean each drum has two heads, one on each end, or do you mean that it's a pair of drums that each has one head? Are they about waist high?)

Hi Andrew,

Boy oh boy! I just re-thought his drum. I was WAY, WAY off. It actually has only one head and is thigh high. I've never played it and he really only takes it out during retreats,which are several months apart; not to mention, I only see him about once every six weeks for usually a weekend (sometimes less....once an hour! :cry: ), soooooo, what I envisioned, I must have seen somewhere else. Sorry about that.

I have played on an electric practice pad before. My first husband (that sounds terrible! :eek: ) played the drums as a teenager. I don't think he ever had a set, but I could be wrong. I think he just played his friend's set. He loved playing though. Before he got the practice pad, he would take out all our pots and pans and go at it! LOL :lol: He taught me how to hold the sticks and play a "drum roll." Is that the right term? Anyway, I really like that. When I'm in the car, my steering wheel, door, and dash become my drums! :lol: And...I play in the air a lot (that sounds funny too! :lol:

Okay, I think you get it. I do look forward to playing the instruments you bring. I wish I had my flute and clarinet here in Alabama, but they are still in storage in Oregon. I really hope I can get all my stuff in the not too distant future. ( ;) ~~wink for Mr. Turner~~ :lol: )

Thanks for all your doing Andrew. Very cool! :cool:

Love in Him,
Deborah

Note: I've turned into a "smiley" pig!!! :lol: ;) :D :lol:

Does Steve's drum look like this (like one of these)?
220px-Congas.JPG

Congas typically come in pairs, or a set of three, but you often see a player playing one, particularly in informal or small group settings.

If you're already playing "air drums", you're definitely on the right track! :cool:

Wait a sec. Just saw the post over at the Dallas retreat thread where Ali calls it a djembe. If it looks like one of these, we have a winner:
170px-Djembe.jpg

170px-Manamana_001.jpg

Steve has a Djembe. Rope tuning, if memory serves.

Ah, thanks!

andrew said:
Wait a sec. Just saw the post over at the Dallas retreat thread where Ali calls it a djembe. If it looks like one of these, we have a winner:
170px-Djembe.jpg

170px-Manamana_001.jpg

Hi Andrew,

I just saw Ali's post too. If memory serves me right (and that can be kinda scarey sometimes) it is like the first picture.

Thanks Andrew. If I can figure out how to take a picture of it on my phone and post it, you'll know for sure. Any instructions you might want to send my way to post a phone picture?

In Him,
Deborah

The only way I know to post a picture on this kind of board is using a link to an image that's online already. So if you could upload your phone pic to facebook, shutterfly, picasa, photobucket, or whatever other place you might use to post pics, then from there you can post a link to the pic here at the forum by using the "Img" tag.

You use that tag just like you would use the boldface or italic tag, by selecting the text you want to tag. Paste the link to your pic in your post, then select the link and hit the "Img" button. It will place tags before and after the link that tell the discussion board to display what it finds at that link as an image.

If you don't use any online photo-sharing utility, pm me and I'll give you my email address to just send me the pic, then I can upload it here or just look at it and tell you what it is.

Sounds good Andrew. I'll try post as you said.

Thank you lots and lots,

Deborah

To post an image directly, click the "Upload attachment" tab at bottom of the post form.

Back