• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Fatherhood at an advanced age?

I've been considering the strictly biological aspect between men and women related to children. The command to be fruitful and multiply is limited by biology in men from roughly 15 to 90 years of age, about 75 years. In women the age range is roughly 15 to 50, about 35 years and less than half the man's window. Could it be that Yah's intent was for the man to keep fathering children until he is no longer able, and when his first wife is no longer able to conceive, he is allowed, and expected, to acquire another wife (while maintaining his covenant with his first wife) to continue his primary mission of being fruitful and multiplying? Is there any other reason to have double the window? In addition, if the church were to acknowledge the primary mission to be fruitful and multiply as long as each is able, I would think polygyny would be much easier to accept. Right now, it is the monogamous wife who biologically determines when to stop having children, contrary to my Biblical understanding.

On a side note I was told "I had my daughter, and now a son, so I'm done". I had no say in the matter. Biologically speaking, I should have continued having children for another 30 years, but I was cheated out of that opportunity, and with the son I did have, the world would be better off with more like him.

Whether it's because of rebellion, or biology, in my opinion, that is too much power to hold over his head. I believe what is a reasonable age is "when he is no longer able".
You were cheated

My father is currently in his late 60s and we are still able to spar and practice martial arts together. I think it has less to do with age and more to do with health. A wise and physically fit 40 year old will probably be a better father than a foolish and lazy 20 year old. I don't really see an issue with having children at a late age as long as you commit yourself to still teaching them and have means to protect them.
Is your father finished having children or he is still hoping to be fruitful? Sorry to be nosey but I'm curious about the physical abilities becoming a father at his age.

Correct. This goes for women in the workforce as well, who are only doing as their husband commands.

It's a fine line between speaking to the ideal and casting judgment or "telling someone what they should do." That word, "should", is a tripping hazard. No one knows if it means "ideally" or "must".
A woman in the workforce is still serving her husband, though I much prefer to be at home for him. Though the husband fills up almost all of the 'coffers' theres nothing wrong with a wife adding a bit through work if her husband approves of it.

Is your father finished having children or he is still hoping to be fruitful? Sorry to be nosey but I'm curious about the physical abilities becoming a father at his age.
According to his last checkup (a few months ago) yes. Sadly, due to reasons I honestly don't remember, his wife has had a surgery that makes having children impossible. He does not think polygamy is God's ideal (although he admits it is not sinful) so I am unlikely to see any younger siblings.

We has a larger family, spread over 20 years. Our oldest son was 20 as I recall when our last daughter was born. Now my hubby has another sweetheart, and their baby daughter was born an aunt as our son was a daddy last Nov.

It was fun to see our grown sons meet their little sis five years ago....it was fun to see them meet their baby sis this time too.

A father that keeps having children in his late 40's and into his 50's may not see them all raised, but if He started in his 20's his older children will be there to support and mentor younger family members. Our grown sons are moral and capable, very fine roll models for the younger ones.

We all feel children are blessings.....and we are happy to be starting again with little ones. This little darling has ten older siblings....she is very loved!!

According to his last checkup (a few months ago) yes. Sadly, due to reasons I honestly don't remember, his wife has had a surgery that makes having children impossible. He does not think polygamy is God's ideal (although he admits it is not sinful) so I am unlikely to see any younger siblings.
I'm happy to hear hes in a fruitful condition! Very encouraging to know that its not uncommon in men my husband's age ☺️

I'm happy to hear hes in a fruitful condition! Very encouraging to know that its not uncommon in men my husband's age ☺️
May I ask his approximate age?
Please forgive me if you have already mentioned it.

My husband just turned 64.
Thank you.
In this country, that is time to quit being a productive member of society. But that isn’t reasonable.
I have six years on him and I’m starting my new trucking company. The swimmers are good.

Focus on health, healthy eating and exercise. Don’t become a has-been. Don’t retire.
Leave the fate of the swimmers in the hands of Yah and live happily and productively.

Thank you.
In this country, that is time to quit being a productive member of society. But that isn’t reasonable.
I have six years on him and I’m starting my new trucking company. The swimmers are good.

Focus on health, healthy eating and exercise. Don’t become a has-been. Don’t retire.
Leave the fate of the swimmers in the hands of Yah and live happily and productively.
God intended for us to marry for a reason, clearly he had plans for my husband to sire children, why else would he have fated him a younger wife.

I'll wait faithfully to see what our father blesses my husband with, I know it will be glorious. But I don't think the odd veggie smoothie would go amiss! :)

Our grown sons are moral and capable, very fine roll models for the younger ones.

And should the father pass away, the son will have grown up with his nephews and his brother for a role model and slot into that family well.

And if one's older son's are not Godly role models around to pick up the slack when you pass, maybe that person should reconsider their parenting abilities and the wisdom of having more.

Hi I'm new to this forum but I can speak with a bit of experience on this. I married my husband who was in has mid 40s when I was in 20. His second wife was 18 and married in to our family when he was 50. We both have been married to him for a number of years. I have had 2 children and she has had 1 with another on the way. As far as I see it age is just a number it doesn't impact the seriousnous of your relationship the way most people think it does. We all love each other, our children, and are healthy and strong.
I think the argument I get the most is he will be gone before they are adults, but a couple things to say about that:
1) Hes 55 now, so still has a lot of time left God willing <3
2) One of the benefits of a plural marriage is that us wives have each other
If you have any specific questions please feel free to message me :)

Back