• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Fatherhood at an advanced age?

I've long known that if things didn't change, I was going to be the end of my entire lineage going back to some number of greats grandfather. Somehow my family had a trend of multiple boys, but only one grandson. I'm hoping the change to keeping Torah and not dissing the patriarchs breaks that generational decline. I hope to be the last of the cursed "10 generations of those who hate Him, and first of a line of 1000 who love Him."

So far no ladies have stepped up to help, but que cera cera. It's His blessings as He sees fit. I've tried it my way, and it sucked, so I've had to chill out and just hope I'm not alone too much longer. Because He knows it's not good for me. I have to assume He's working out all things for the good of those who love Him, and wait on Him.

So here's a completely different take on the age gap, which seems to be the direction the derailment has gone, but I'm actually kind of glad.

Why do most women marry older men of their own accord? (Except the cougar phenomenon, which is a straight-up desperate last-ditch effort to have any child, and nobody seems to disagree.) Why is "half your age plus seven" considered a fairly common rule of thumb even by the alphabet soup group?

What if, absent a father, since clearly we've banned fatherhood as a general rule in the west, women are actually looking to find a father figure?

It's a pretty common attack against weak-willed men that they sought out a woman to help them with their mommy issues. It's an attack I've personally recieved back when I was a simp. So if it's so horrible for men to seek a mother figure, what about the inverse? A fatherless/father-absent female of age, sees an older man as a father figure?

In terms of reproductive strategy, it makes complete sense to go after the guy that isn't as likely to die young. The elder isn't as likely to die in war, by economic woe, or through sheer stupidity. As he ages, genetic deficiencies are highlighted, so a good looking old guy is likely to have amazing genes to pass on. He's financially able to provide for young, and he may be able to lead her where her father couldn't.

Since the dad isn't allowed any authority in a young girl's life these days, then she's hoping to have the dad she never had. Because if he can be a father to her, he's certainly capable of being a father to her young.

After all, why do you think Eve married a man twice her age? 😉

*This assuming base human nature would seek to reproduce, I'm well aware of the modern perversions.

This is a very important point, in my opinion.

But what about the child/children?
Is it better for a child to not be given the chance at life because of the fact that the father would not be able to play baseball with him?

We don’t know how Yah creates souls.
Are they created for the occasion? Custom made for each situation, and if that situation hadn’t arisen that soul simply would never exist?

Or, as has been suggested, do they exist in a giant dispenser in the sky and the next impregnation automatically receives the next soul in the lineup? In that case, the soul that goes to an older father instead of a young father would miss out on some things.
But by the same token, if that man avoids the pregnancy and the soul goes into a truly bad situation instead?

God opens and closes the womb. I think if He thinks we shouldn't have children, God is quite capable of seeing to it we don't.

Why do most women marry older men of their own accord?

Women want to marry a leader. Someone who is older, smarter, stronger, wiser, taller, heavier, better than them. They implicitly believe in male supremacy by their actions even as they deny it.

So is husbandry also fatherhood?

Father>Pater same as Patriarch. Thayers #3962 progenitor. One who causes creation.

Husband>haus bond~lord of the house.

If the man operates as the founder of a house, a tribe, then he is both husband and father, even if he doesn't necessarily have women or children. I know it's not modern usage, but to take it back to source, it's first position in hierarchy.

So is husbandry also fatherhood?

Father>Pater same as Patriarch. Thayers #3962 progenitor. One who causes creation.

Husband>haus bond~lord of the house.

If the man operates as the founder of a house, a tribe, then he is both husband and father, even if he doesn't necessarily have women or children. I know it's not modern usage, but to take it back to source, it's first position in hierarchy.
Do you mean as in ‘animal husbandry’?

Do you mean as in ‘animal husbandry’?
It seems like one has to lead, protect, and provide for someone (or at least something) to have a hierarchy/husbandry/patriarchy of any sort.

So in answering @DawoodSaar's question, the single man in question should at least start a homestead/garden/livestock or some kind of business to lead until the Lord provides him a wife and children.

🤔

the single man in question should at least……
Be careful about telling another what you think that he should be doing. If Yah has called him to a place where that is not available, you are laying an unnecessary yoke on him.

Be careful about telling another what you think that he should be doing. If Yah has called him to a place where that is not available, you are laying an unnecessary yoke on him.
I'm not necessarily telling anyone to do anything.

I'm just pointing out that one isn't a leader if no one is following. One without children isn't a father, and one that takes care of no one and nothing isn't a husbandman.

The single childless man with no home, business, farm, etc can still be a pleasing and faithful servant of Jesus Christ. Even a slave can do that.

Freedom is still generally preferable to slavery. Husbandry and fatherhood are generally preferable to the single life.

On the other hand, if a man is called by God to be single, he can devote his full attention to the service of Christ in building the Kingdom of God, like Paul did, and taught.

Correct. This goes for women in the workforce as well, who are only doing as their husband commands.

It's a fine line between speaking to the ideal and casting judgment or "telling someone what they should do." That word, "should", is a tripping hazard. No one knows if it means "ideally" or "must".

Why do most women marry older men of their own accord? (Except the cougar phenomenon, which is a straight-up desperate last-ditch effort to have any child, and nobody seems to disagree.) Why is "half your age plus seven" considered a fairly common rule of thumb even by the alphabet soup group?
I don't know the answer to this. Prevailing thought says things get more weird the greater the age gap. A 50 year old and a 45 year old. Perfect. A 50 year old and a 35 year old. Still OK but less perfect, may raise a slight eyebrow. A 50 year old and a 20 year old. Frowned upon and will raise major eyebrows.

But yes, I often see women, in general, going for men 4-8 years older than them. Still in their range, but older. In my opinion that happens much more than men marrying a woman 4-8 years older than him. There must be a reason.

Why do most women marry older men of their own accord?
My sw said she made this choice because the men she met didn't measure up to the old fashioned man my/our hubby is. She doesn't have daddy issues, but was not attracted to the young men interested in her.

WEB MD
“Over the last 4 decades, the number of men older than 40 who father a child has more than doubled. But only recently have researchers begun to explore what impact a dad's age may have on his unborn children.”

So what is reasonable?

As long as a man has willing and able 'ishshah's, keep going till YAH calls you home I say.

For me, I think it is best that a father is young enough to be around for his child's formative years, till at least 18. And hopefully, be in good health to do things with his children.

Although I understand the sentiment, having experienced going through a brain tumour while my children were still young despite not being a smoker, or a drinker and in relatively good physical health, and having to ponder alot of questions and scenarios, I would have to disagree.

As the saying goes, "we do not know what the future holds but we know who holds our future"

Abraham procreated with Hagar and Sarah at a ripe old age and he didn't stop there.

As long as a man has willing and able 'ishshah's, keep going till YAH calls you home I say.

Although I understand the sentiment, having experienced going through a brain tumour while my children were still young despite not being a smoker, or a drinker and in relatively good physical health, and having to ponder alot of questions and scenarios, I would have to disagree.

As the saying goes, "we do not know what the future holds but we know who holds our future"

Abraham procreated with Hagar and Sarah at a ripe old age and he didn't stop there.
YAH willing by his grace, I pray to be fruitful and multiply like Abraham all the way to the finish line.

WEB MD
“Over the last 4 decades, the number of men older than 40 who father a child has more than doubled. But only recently have researchers begun to explore what impact a dad's age may have on his unborn children.”

So what is reasonable?
I've been considering the strictly biological aspect between men and women related to children. The command to be fruitful and multiply is limited by biology in men from roughly 15 to 90 years of age, about 75 years. In women the age range is roughly 15 to 50, about 35 years and less than half the man's window. Could it be that Yah's intent was for the man to keep fathering children until he is no longer able, and when his first wife is no longer able to conceive, he is allowed, and expected, to acquire another wife (while maintaining his covenant with his first wife) to continue his primary mission of being fruitful and multiplying? Is there any other reason to have double the window? In addition, if the church were to acknowledge the primary mission to be fruitful and multiply as long as each is able, I would think polygyny would be much easier to accept. Right now, it is the monogamous wife who biologically determines when to stop having children, contrary to my Biblical understanding.

On a side note I was told "I had my daughter, and now a son, so I'm done". I had no say in the matter. Biologically speaking, I should have continued having children for another 30 years, but I was cheated out of that opportunity, and with the son I did have, the world would be better off with more like him.

Whether it's because of rebellion, or biology, in my opinion, that is too much power to hold over his head. I believe what is a reasonable age is "when he is no longer able".

I've been considering the strictly biological aspect between men and women related to children. The command to be fruitful and multiply is limited by biology in men from roughly 15 to 90 years of age, about 75 years. In women the age range is roughly 15 to 50, about 35 years and less than half the man's window. Could it be that Yah's intent was for the man to keep fathering children until he is no longer able, and when his first wife is no longer able to conceive, he is allowed, and expected, to acquire another wife (while maintaining his covenant with his first wife) to continue his primary mission of being fruitful and multiplying? Is there any other reason to have double the window? In addition, if the church were to acknowledge the primary mission to be fruitful and multiply as long as each is able, I would think polygyny would be much easier to accept. Right now, it is the monogamous wife who biologically determines when to stop having children, contrary to my Biblical understanding.

On a side note I was told "I had my daughter, and now a son, so I'm done". I had no say in the matter. Biologically speaking, I should have continued having children for another 30 years, but I was cheated out of that opportunity, and with the son I did have, the world would be better off with more like him.

Whether it's because of rebellion, or biology, in my opinion, that is too much power to hold over his head. I believe what is a reasonable age is "when he is no longer able".
That was wrong of the wife. She should submit to her husband (and God Himself) in the matter of bearing more children.

Back