• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Fear of God

This conversation has a way of conveniently sliding all over the map. One minute we’re talking about fear and terror; the next we’re talking about respect and reverence. Some here have indicated they don’t really have a problem using words like fear and terror; others have a problem with that and prefer terms such as reverence and respect.

I don’t see much changing even if we go on for another 100+ posts. You guys that are leaning toward fear are the ones driving the convo, but don’t seem to have any real idea where you’re trying to get with it, and you’re asking guys who don’t agree with your priors to show you the way. I just don’t see this going anywhere.

Seems to me you should come back when you can say “I figured it out, this is how I taught my wife to truly fear me, and here’s why you should follow my example”.

Meanwhile, “we’re not doing them correctly” is textbook ‘begging the question’. This argument is going in circles.

Well said, VV76.

One point to add: I don't try to teach my women to fear me (or reverence me or even respect me). My aim is to be the husband they reverence and submit to willingly, and if I 'teach' them anything in this domain it will be only through the example of my relationship with God. The idea that I would be teaching them in a bible study way to act a certain way toward me regardless of how they actually see me is to say that I would be teaching them hypocrisy, which is abhorrent to me.

The burden is on you, RF & Zec, and anyone else banging this drum, to show us what you mean and how you do it. Otherwise, this thread is . . . wait for it . . . a waste of time.

Zec, your and windblown's casual admission that she does not fear you and you do not fear God leaves us with a big empty hole where the point of this debate should be. When you fear guys can show us what you mean and how you got there, and what we're doing wrong and how we can fix it, we can have a different conversation.

So are you saying you don't know how reverence should be done?

No.

Back