• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Fear of God

Every one wants to talk about the root of the word but not the root of the teachings about Fear of G-d. Yirah.

Pachad, is projected or imagined fear, fear whose objects are imagined, feat of the unknown, fear of punishment, fears responds that are irrational like terror.

Yirah is the fear that overcomes us when we suddenly find ourselves in possession of considerably more energy than we are used to, when we realise things are larger than just us, that we are not in control, anxious. If you’ve felt a calling from G-d in your heart, or uncovered an prophetic dream for your life, or felt a mysterious sense of inner inspiration about an idea, you recognize this description. Yirah is the fear that shows up in those moments when we access not only our real feelings about an important situation, or contemplate taking a big leap toward a more biblical life but He is revealed to us through HIS will. We feel sacred awe and reverance which has a kind of trembling in it but no terror.

Here's some examples of Fear of G-d when it's speaking of respect, reverence, piety.

Genesis 20:11

And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear/holy reverence of G-d is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake.

Exodus 20:20

And Moses said to the people, Fear not: for G-d is come to prove you, and that his fear/holy reverence may be before your faces, that ye sin not.

2 Samuel 23:3

The G-d of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear/holy reverence of G-d.

2 Chronicles 19:9 And he charged them, saying, Thus shall ye do in the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD, faithfully, and with a perfect heart.

Nehemiah 5:9

Also I said, It is not good that ye do: ought ye not to walk in the fear/holy reverence of our G-d because of the reproach of the heathen our enemies?

Nehemiah 5:15

But the former governors that had been before me were chargeable to the people, and had taken of them bread and wine, beside forty shekels of silver; yea, even their servants bare rule over the people: but so did not I, because of the fear/holy reverence of G-d.

Job 4:6

Is not this thy fear/holy reverence, thy confidence, thy hope, and the uprightness of thy ways?

Job 6:14

To him that is afflicted pity should be shewed from his friend; but he forsaketh the fear/holy reverence of the Almighty.

Job 28:28

And to man he said, Behold, the fear/holy reverence of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

Psalm 2:11

Serve the L-RD with fear/holy reverence , and rejoice with trembling.

Psalm 5:7

But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear/holy reverence will I worship toward thy holy temple.

Psalm 19:9

The fear/holy reverence of the L-RD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the L-RD are true and righteous altogether.

Psalm 34:11

Come, ye children, hearken to me: I will teach you the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD.

Psalm 111:10

The fear/holy reverence of the L-RD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Psalm 119:38

Stablish thy word to thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear/holy reverence.

Proverbs 1:7

The fear/holy reverence of the L-RD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 1:29

For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD:

Proverbs 2:5

Then shalt thou understand the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD, and find the knowledge of G-d.

Proverbs 8:13

The fear/holy reverence of the L-RD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 9:10

The fear/holy reverence of the L-RD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Proverbs 10:27

The fear/holy reverence of the L-RD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.

(Scientific fun fact. Those who expeience terror on a regular basis live shorter life, Google it)

Proverbs 14:26

In the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.

Proverbs 14:27

The fear/holy reverence of the L-RD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

Proverbs 15:16

Better is little with the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD than great treasure and trouble therewith.

Proverbs 15:33

The fear/holy reverence of the L-RD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

Proverbs 16:6

By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD men depart from evil.

Proverbs 19:23

The fear/holy reverence of the L-RD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.

Proverbs 22:4

By humility and the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD are riches, and honour, and life.

Proverbs 23:17

Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD all the day long.

Isaiah 11:2

And the spirit of the L-RD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD;

Isaiah 11:3

And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:

Isaiah 29:13

Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear/holy reverence toward me is taught by the precept of men:

Isaiah 33:6

And wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times, and strength of salvation: the fear/holy reverence of the L-RD is his treasure.

Isaiah 63:17

O L-RD, why hast thou made us to err from thy ways, and hardened our heart from thy fear/holy reverence? Return for thy servants' sake, the tribes of thine inheritance.
Jeremiah 32:40

And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear/holy reverence in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.

Ezekiel 1:18

As for their rings, they were so high that they were dreadful/awesome; and their rings were full of eyes round about them four.

Jonah 1:16

Then the men feared/had holy reverence for the L-RD exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice to the L-RD, and made vows.

Job 15:4

Yea, thou castest off fear/holy reverence, and restrainest prayer before G-d.

Job 22:4

Will he reprove thee for fear/holy reverence of thee? will he enter with thee into judgment?

Psalm 55:5

Fearfulness
and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me.

Psalm 90:11

Who knoweth the power of thine anger? even according to thy fear/holy reverence, so is thy wrath.

Ezekiel 30:13

Thus saith the Lord G-D; I will also destroy the idols, and I will cause their images to cease out of Noph; and there shall be no more a prince of the land of Egypt: and I will put a fear/holy reverence in the land of Egypt.

Its easy to say that terror should be used here, but why speak of destroying idolatry if the purpose is to replace it with terror and not holy reverence.

Last edited:
That's sounds like Stockholm syndrome.

All I did was describe the emotional landscape at play between a person and any powerful authority figure; be that God, King, policeman, soldier, or husband. Would you say Stockholm syndrome is at play in all those as well? That term needlessly brings negative connotations.

Another example; meditate over the reaction a child or woman might have upon meeting a powerful special forces soldier carrying big scary weapons. And then contrast that if while in his company they meet his counterpart from an enemy country we're at war with.

Does it occur to us that psychological and emotional background and baggage significantly color each person's understanding? I have a dear lady friend who was, for nearly ten years, radically abused by her husband. The last time, he nearly killed her. She knows terror from one claiming to love her. She would/could never understand or associate that term with her Father. Point, except in God's dealing with enemies or the wicked, I would never refer to Him as a terror in front of her and @ZecAustin 's position that the wife should be in terror would immediately terminate any friendship.

Absolutely, that's why we call it baggage. I wouldn't base my theology on someone's particular emotional hangups. What that person needs is healing, not hiding the whole council of God. But you missed the most applicable one to this conversation and that is the current church culture that teaches men to fear women and treat them with reverence. The idea that woman would fear anything is anathema to that culture.

Every one wants to talk about the root of the word but not the root of the teachings about Fear of G-d. Yirah.

Pachad, is projected or imagined fear, fear whose objects are imagined, feat of the unknown, fear of punishment, fears responds that are irrational like terror.

Yirah is the fear that overcomes us when we suddenly find ourselves in possession of considerably more energy than we are used to, when we realise things are larger than just us, that we are not in control, anxious. If you’ve felt a calling from G-d in your heart, or uncovered an prophetic dream for your life, or felt a mysterious sense of inner inspiration about an idea, you recognize this description. Yirah is the fear that shows up in those moments when we access not only our real feelings about an important situation, or contemplate taking a big leap toward a more biblical life but He is revealed to us through HIS will. We feel sacred awe and reverance which has a kind of trembling in it but no terror.

Thanks for the reminder pointing back to the OT. That is nice detail but what is the source of those two definitions? The second definition is at odds with this.

So, leaving the aspect of terror and wrath aside for the moment, what are Biblically justifiable reasons why a wife should fear her husband? (Other than the dead horse that we’ve been beating about fearing God). In the real world, what does that look like.

What do you mean by Biblically justifiable? The Bible doesn't explain in detail everything it commands; sometimes it just tells you to do something and leaves out the why; which can only be discerned using wisdom. I can explain a number of real world benefits; but it won't consist solely of a bunch of Bible quotes. A lack of explanation does not cancel the command. Some people find it helpful to understand the why. Others need to learn to obey first as they just use the why as cause to argue with the reasoning.

I'm trying to avoid this thread, but want to pop in to say that in the husband/wife relationship, what works best is when the wife respects your positive qualities, your heart for God, your courage, your willingness to stick with tough positions in the face of opposition, your hard work, etc., and sees in you an example to emulate and someone worthy of submission to, who she knows is probably right even when she disagrees with him. If she is merely afraid of your anger and afraid of your punishments, then all I can say is I feel sorry for her and I feel sorry for you. Y'all are missing out....

But you missed the most applicable one to this conversation and that is the current church culture that teaches men to fear women and treat them with reverence. The idea that woman would fear anything is anathema to that culture.
The most applicable part of the conversation is our relationship with G-d and what it is suppose to look like. That a relationship a woman has with her Husband is suppose to be a reflection the one he has with G-d. The idea that a woman would fear an thing is anathema to modern church culure has nothing to do with the scriptures and teachings present. It's just a distraction. We have a choice justify our beleifs by trying to validate our bias or look at the scriptures and how they apply to our own releastionship with G-d and not what the modern church in is trying to proagate. We learn nothing if we just seek to condem others.

As for the definition for Yirah, avoid strongs concordance, actually all concordances. They only show you the path that those who choose to translate the word in that manner used nothing else. Pick up a biblical Hebrew dictionary or a book that teaches biblical Hebrew like Zolas introduction to Hebrew. I can get a list together for you if you want but @IshChayil being a biblical Hebrew teacher probably already has a list. I could point you to a few websites that has definitions but you would only find anotherone you agree with to contradict. In the end your going to have to put in the work and get invested in it. Becoming invested in it will either reinforces your beleif or it will change it.

Another example; meditate over the reaction a child or woman might have upon meeting a powerful special forces soldier carrying big scary weapons. And then contrast that if while in his company they meet his counterpart from an enemy country we're at war with.
Don't need to meditate I know that feeling is why I became a soilder.

Weapons are only scary to liberals. Lol. I was raised around them taught that guns were not to be feared but respected and not mistreated. There were rules to follow. They could be used for good or evil. It was the intent of the weilder to be concerned with. If the weilder followed the rules and did not intend you harm then their were no concern.

I can't say As a kid, I felt any fear when I met Comand Sergeant Nicholson, Airborne, Air Assault, Ranger, frogman, Military Mountaineer, special forces as a few of his credentials. I didn't feel terror, just awe. I wanted to be him and like my grandfather who he served under. Love and respect.

As for his counterpart from a foreign enemy military would there be terror, probably at that time. But unless your saying G-d is our enemy then the parallel is pointless.

Question you mentions that your wife said about why not fear you I get that. You can't honestly sit there and say that she was in terror of you when you first met and that terror became love and respect. So why are you trying to describe the emotional landscape at play between a person and any powerful authority figure that way.

Last edited:
That a relationship a woman has with her Husband is suppose to be a reflection the one he has with G-d.
I would go somewhat further and say that it is a reflection of the man's relationship with God, for better or worse. It's supposed to be a good reflection of a good relationship, but it's a reflection either way.

Food for thought, from John Gill (1697-1771). Baptist theologian, born in Kettering England

From A Body of Divinity

A Godly Fathers Anger

First, negatively expressed: “Ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath”. (Eph. 6:4) which may be done,
  1. By words: by laying upon them unjust and unreasonable commands, by frequent, public, and severe [scolding]; by indiscreet and passionate expressions, and by [humiliating] and [abusive] language; such as that of Saul to Jonathan (1 Sam. 20:30)
  2. By deeds: as by showing more love to one than to another, as Jacob did to Joseph, which so incensed his brethren that they hated Joseph and could not speak peaceably to him (Gen 37:4); by not allowing them proper food and a sufficiency of it (Matt. 7:9-10; 1 Tim 5:8); by not indulging them with innocent recreation, which children should have (Zec. 8:5); and when at a proper age for marriage, of [giving] them to persons not agreeable to their inclinations; and by restraining them from those that would be without any just reason; [or] by squandering away their substance in riotous living, when they should have preserved it and laid it up for the present use or future good of their children; and especially by any cruel and inhuman treatment as that of Saul to Jonathan, when he made an attempt on his life (1 Sam 20:33,34). Such provocation should be carefully avoided, since it renders all commands, counsel, and corrections ineffectual, alienating the affections of their children from them. The reason to [avoid] it, given by the apostle, is “lest they be discouraged” (Col. 3:21); [they may] be overwhelmed with grief and sorrow and thereby their spirits be broken [and] become [cowardly], disheartened, and dispirited. Despairing of pleasing their parents and sharing in their affections, [they may] become careless of duty and [lazy in] business. Parents, no doubt, have a right to rebuke and reproved their children when they do amiss: it was Eli’s fault that he was too soft and lenient and his reproofs too easy when he should have restrained his sons from acting the vile part. [He] should have frowned upon them, put on stern looks, laid his commands on them, and severely threatened them, and punished them if [obstinate and disobedient] (1 Sam 2:23,24, 3:13) And they may use the rod of correction, which they should do early, and while there is hope; but always with moderation and in love; and should take some pains with their children to convince them that they do love them; and that it is in love to them, and for their good, that they chastise them. “Fathers” are particularly mentioned because they are apt to be most severe, and mothers most indulgent.

You haven't eliminated that option from the equation, only counted it unlikely. Why do you want to eliminate it [terror]?
Look, simply based on the statistical breakdown we got it down to 6% or less likely that terror is the underlying Hebrew word (terror) or not with no other considerations at all.
When we add to that there are no literal Tanakh examples of an upstanding woman feeling terror towards a righteous husband (keeping metaphor of Israel as G-d's wayward wife out of it) that shows me there is no reason for me to assume a new attribute has been added by the good apostle. I want to eliminate it because it's not a valid translation option and therefore corrupts the meaning of the verse. why would anyone consider terror a valid desired state of a upstanding wife to her upstanding husband? Why do you want it in the running?

.... (just as the root of the word translated reverence means terror).
No, that's not true; the root of reverence does not mean terror. See the big post above with all the breakdowns. The root of terror is usually paḥad (terror/dread), the root from which we translate reverence is yārāh

Thanks for the reminder pointing back to the OT. That is nice detail but what is the source of those two definitions? The second definition is at odds with this. [Strong's definition follows]
Anyone else wanna address the reference to Strong's definitions of Hebrew/Greek words? @Shibboleth you around? @Kevin ?
*********EDIT*************
I hadn't seen this post yet:
As for the definition for Yirah, avoid strongs concordance, actually all concordances.
They only show you the path that those who choose to translate the word in that manner used nothing else. Pick up a biblical Hebrew dictionary or a book that teaches biblical Hebrew like Zolas introduction to Hebrew.

Last edited:
***** BIG LONG dictionary definition for anyone uninterested... move along ciitzen******
***Following is from Clines, 9 volume Dictionary of Classical Hebrew... for those who don't read Hebrew, the entry is for yārāh and it's various active binyanim****
***This dictionary quotes all biblical usages of a word as well as all known extant biblical material written in Biblical or Post Biblical Hebrew (Dead Sea Scrolls, Ben Sira, etc.)***
The one instance where you will see terror is where we also have the word ḥatat (terror) which I indicated means terror by itself, so the dictionary is not saying yārāh means to feel terror, it's saying if you write yārāh ḥatat(to fear terror) that means to feel terror (I listed this word in my post about stats btw)...
I have not changed any formatting except for the RED terror entry. The bold sections are already bold in the dictionary...

ירא I 378.13.62 vb. fear—Qal 328.9.36 Pf. יָרֵא, (יָרֵֽאָה) יָרְאָה, יָרֵ֫אתָ, יָרֵ֫אתִי, יָרְאוּ (יְרֵא֫וּנִי, יְרֵא֫וּךָ, יְרֵא֫וּהוּ), יְרֵאתֶם (יְרָאתֶם Jos 4:24), יָרֵ֫אנוּ; impf. (יִרָאֲךָ) יִירָא), 3fs תִּירָא, 2ms תִּירָא, (תִּירָֽאִי) תִּירְאִי, (אִירָאֶ֫נּוּ) אִירָא, יִירְאוּ (יִירָֽאוּ, יִרְאוּ, יִרָֽאוּ, יִירָֽאוּן, יִירָא֫וּךָ, יִרָא֫וּךָ), תִּירְאוּ (תִּירָֽאוּ, תִּירְאוּן, תִּירָאֻם), נִירָא (Kt נרא); + waw וְיָרֵ֫אתָ, וְיָרְאוּ; וַיִּירָא (וַיִּרָא, וַיִּירָאֵ֫נִי), וַתִּירְאִי, וָאִירָא, וַיִּירְאוּ (וַיִּירָֽאוּ, וַיִּרְאוּ), 3fpl וַתִּירֶ֫אןָ, וַתִּירָֽאוּ, וַנִּירָא; impv. יְרָא, יְראוּ; ptc. יָרֵא, cstr. יְרֵא, pl. יְרֵאִים, cstr. יִרְאֵי, sf. יְרֵאֶ֫יךָ (Q יראיכה, לִירֵאֶ֫יךָ), (לִירֵאָיו) יְרֵאָיו, fem. cstr. יִרְאַת; inf. cstr. יִרְאָה (יְרֹא, לֵרֹא, יִרְאָתוֹ, יִרְאָתָם).
1. be afraid, fear, be fearful,* a. used absolutely, <SUBJ> Israel(ites) Dt 1:21; 13:12; 20:3=1QM 103; Dt 21:21=11QT 646; Dt 31:6; 1 S 17:11; Is 41:10, 13, 23(Kt) (Qr, 1QIsaa ראה see) 431.5 1QM 158, Jacob, i.e. Israel Is 41:10, 13; 43:1, 5; 44:2; Jr 30:10; 46:27, 28, Jeshurun Is 44:2, Judah Jr 3:8; 2 C 20:15, 17, Philistines 1 S 4:7, עַם people Ex 14:13; 20:20; Dt 17:13=11QT 5611; 1 S 12:20; Hg 2:5 perh. 4QMa 11.213 (תי[רא]ו), בַּיִת house of Israel/Judah Zc 8:13, 15, אִי coastland Is 41:15, Ashkelon Zc 9:5, Jerusalem Zp 3:16; 2 C 20:17, Abiathar 1 S 22:23, Abra(ha)m Gn 15:1; 20:11(Sam), Adoni-zedek Jos 10:2, Ahaz Is 7:4, Daniel Dn 10:12, David 1 S 23:17, Elijah 1 K 19:3(mss), Gideon Jg 6:23, Hagar Gn 21:17, Job Jb 11:15, Jehoshaphat 2 C 20:3, 15, Joshua Dt 31:8; Jos 8:1, Isaac Gn 26:24, Jacob Gn 28:17; 31:31; 32:8, Mephibosheth 2 S 9:7, Moses Ex 2:14, Nehemiah Ne 2:2; 6:13, Rachel Gn 35:17, Sarah Gn 18:15, Saul 1 S 28:5, Solomon 1 C 28:20, Uriah Jr 26:19.
אָדָם human being Gn 3:10 (or em. וָאִירָא and I feared to וָאֵרֶא and I saw) Ps 64:10, אִישׁ man Gn 20:8; Dt 4:3,18, 23; Dt 20:8=11QT 623; 1 S 17:24; 23:3; Jon 1:10, 16; Ps 112:8; Dn 10:19, גֶּבֶר man Jr 17:8(Kt) (Qr ראה see), מַת man Is 41:14, אִשָּׁה woman, wife 1 S 4:20; 28:13; 1 K 17:13, אָב father 4QTobite 53, אֵם mother 4QJubg 2510, בֵּן son 1 C 22:13; 28:20, of Israel Ex 14:10, בַּת daughter Ru 3:11, אָח brother Gn 42:35; 50:19, 21, אָחוֹת sister Jr 3:8, כַּלָּה daughter-in-law 1 S 4:20, אַלְמָנָה widow 1 K 17:13, מֶלֶךְ king Jos 10:2; 2 C 20:15, שַׂר commander 2 K 10:4; 2 C 32:7, אָדוֹן lord Jg 4:18, קָצִין chief Jos 10:25, עֶבֶד servant Is 41:10, 13; 44:2; Jr 30:10; 46:27, 28, נַעַר lad Jg 8:20; 2 S 13:28 2 K 6:16, זָקֵן elder 2 K 10:4, אֹמֵן guardian 2 K 10:4, חָכָם wise one Pr 14:16, יֹשֵׁב inhabitant 2 C 20:15, worshipper Ps 46:3; 49:6 (or em. אִירָא I fear to תִּרְאֶה you look) 56:4 (or em. אִירָא I fear to אֶקְרָא I call, or del.) 56:5, 12; 118:6; Lm 3:57.
מַלָּח sailor Jon 1:5, נשׂא ptc. one who bears armour 1 S 31:4‖1 C 10:4, מהר ni. ptc. hurried, i.e. anxious, one Is 35:4, סער ptc. storm-tossed one Is 54:14, עָקָר barren one Is 54:4, עָנִי afflicted one Is 54:14, מְבַשֶּׂרֶת messenger Is 40:9, אוֹיֵב enemy Ps 64:5 (or em. יִירָֽאוּ they do not fear to יֵרָאוּ they are not seen), שׂנא pi. ptc. one who hates 4QJonathan 15 (מסנ[איך]), רעע hi. ptc. evil one Ps 64:5 (or em.; see above), פעל ptc. one who does evil Ps 64:5 (or em.; see above), friends of Job Jb 6:21, שׁאר ni. ptc. one who remains Dt 19:20=11QT 6111, לֵב heart Ps 27:3, זֶרַע seed Is 41:10, 13, בְּהֵמָה beast Jl 2:22, צֹאן flock Jr 23:4, תּוֹלַעַת worm Is 41:14, אֲדָמָה land Jl 2:21, מִי who? Jg 7:3; Am 3:8; subj. not specified, Ps 49:17 (or em. אַל־תִּירָא do not fear to אַל־תֵּרֶא do not look).
<PREP> בְּ of time, in, + יוֹם day Ps 49:6 (or em.; see Subj.).
<COLL> ירא ‖ שׁתע fear Is 41:23(Kt) (1QIsaa ראה see ‖ שׁמע hear), חתת be dismayed Dt 1:21; Dt 31:8; Jos 8:1; 10:25; 1 S 17:11; Jr 23:4; 30:10; 46:27; 1 C 22:13; 28:20; 2 C 20:17, חפז be alarmed Dt 20:3, חרד tremble Is 41:5, ערץ tremble Dt 20:3, חיל writhe Zc 9:5, שׁמע hear Dt 13:12; 17:12; 19:20=11QT 6111; Dt 21:21=11QT 646, נבא ni. prophesy Am 3:8.
+ חתת be dismayed 2 C 20:15; 32:7, ערץ tremble Dt 31:6, צרר be narrow, i.e. distressed Gn 32:8, רכך (of heart) be weak Dt 20:3=1QM 103; Is 7:4, רפה (of hands) be weak Zp 3:16, חרד (of heart) tremble 1 S 28:5, חזק (of hands) be strong Zc 8:13, סור turn aside from evil Pr 14:16, ראה see Gn 42:35; Ex 14:13, 31; 34:30; Dt 28:10; 1 S 12:24; 17:24; 28:5, 13; 2 S 10:19; 1 K 3:28; Is 41:5; Zc 9:5; Ps 40:4; 52:8; Jb 6:21; 37:24.
:: חזק be strong Dt 31:6; Jos 10:25; Is 35:4; 1 C 22:13; 28:20; 32:7, אמץ be courageous Dt 31:6; Jos 10:25; 1 C 22:13; 28:20; 32:7, זיד be presumptuous Dt 17:13=11QT 5611, שׁקט hi. be quiet Is 7:4, עבר htp. be arrogant Pr 14:16.
ירא + adverb or noun used adverbially, מְאֹד much Gn 20:8; 32:8; Ex 14:10; Jos 10:2; 1 S 17:11, 24; 31:4‖1 C 10:4; 2 K 10:4 (מְאֹד מְאֹד) Ne 2:2 (הַרְבֵּה מְאֹד very much) Arad ost. 1112 ([י]רא), עוֹד again Jr 23:4, יוֹם (in the) day (when) Ps 56:4.
ירא with adj., חָרֵד trembling Jg 7:3, רַךְ weak of heart Dt 20:8=11QT 623.
אַל־תִּירָא do not fear (masc. sing.) Gn 15:1; 26:24; Dt 1:21; Jos 8:1; Jg 4:18; 6:23; 1 S 22:23; 23:17; 2 S 9:7; 2 K 1:15; 2 K 6:16; Is 7:4; Is 41:10, 13; 43:1, 5; 44:2; Jr 30:10; 46:27, 28; Ps 49:17 (or em.; see Subj.) Lm 3:57; Dn 10:12, 19; 1 C 22:13; 28:20; 4QPseudb 19, אַל־תִּירְאִי/תִּירָֽאִי do not fear (fem. sing.) Gn 21:17; 35:17; 1 S 4:20; 28:13; 1 K 17:13; Is 40:9; 41:14; 54:4; Jl 2:21; Zp 3:16; Ru 3:11, אַל־תִּירְאוּ/תִּירָֽאוּ do not fear (masc. pl.) Gn 43:23; 50:19, 21; Ex 14:13; 20:20; Dt 20:3=1QM 103; Dt 31:6; Jos 10:25; 1 S 12:20; 2 S 13:28; Is 35:4; Jl 2:22; Hg 2:5; Zc 8:13, 15; 2 C 20:15, 17; 32:7; 1QM 158; 4QMa 11.213 (תי[רא]ו), לֹא תִירָא (as command) you shall not fear Dt 31:8.
1b. be afraid of (doing), fear (to do), <SUBJ> Aram(aeans) 2 S 10:19, Aaron Ex 34:30; Nm 12:8, Elihu Jb 32:6, Gidon Jg 7:10, Isaac Gn 26:7, Lot Gn 19:30, Miriam Nm 12:8, Moses Ex 3:6, Samuel 1 S 3:15, אִישׁ man 2 S 1:14, בֵּן son of Israel Ex 34:30, עֶבֶד servant 2 S 12:18.
<COLL> ירא followed by inf. cstr. + לְ be afraid to, + אמר say Gn 26:7, דבר pi. speak Nm 12:8, נגד hi. tell 2 S 12:18, ירד go down Jg 7:10, שׁלח send, i.e. stretch, hand 2 S 1:14, ישׁב dwell Gn 19:30, ישׁע hi. save 2 S 10:19; followed by inf. cstr. + מִן be afraid of, + נגד hi. tell 1 S 3:15, חוה pi. declare Jb 32:6, נבט hi. look Ex 3:6, ירד go down Gn 46:3, נגשׁ draw near Ex 34:30; ירא + זחל fear Jb 32:6; אַל־תִּירָא do not fear Gn 46:3.
1c. be afraid of, fear someone or something, <SUBJ> Israel(ites) Dt 1:29; 3:3; 5:5; 7:18, 19; 20:1=11QT 6113; 1 K 3:28; Is 8:12; Zp 3:13 (mss ראה see) 1QM 174, עַם people Dt 28:10; 2 K 25:26; Is 10:24; 51:7; Jr 51:46, עֵדָה congregation Nm 14:9, 9, בַּיִת house of Israel Ezk 11:8, Jerusalem/Zion Is 51:12 perh. 57:11, Abraham Gn 20:10 (if em.; see Obj.), Adonijah 1 K 1:50, 51, David 1 S 21:13, Elijah 2 K 1:15, Gideon Jg 6:27, Ish-bosheth 2 S 3:11, Ishmael 2 K 25:24‖Jr 40:9, Jaazaniah 2 K 25:24‖Jr 40:9, Jacob Gn 32:12, Jeremiah Jr 1:8, Job Jb 5:21, 22, Johanan 2 K 25:24‖Jr 40:9; Jr 42:11, 11, 11, Seraiah 2 K 25:24‖Jr 40:9, Joshua Jos 10:8; 11:6, Moses Nm 21:34; Dt 3:2, Saul 1 S 15:24; 18:12, 29; 28:20, אִישׁ man 2 K 25:24‖Jr 40:9; Jr 41:18; 51:46; Ps 112:7, אִשָּׁה woman, wife Jr 41:18; Pr 31:21, בֵּן son Dt 2:4; 2 K 25:24‖Jr 40:9; Pr 3:25; 11QPsApA 211 ([בני]), of Israel 1 S 7:7, of man Ezk 2:6, 6; 3:9, בַּת daughter of Zion Zp 3:13 (mss ראה see), טַף children Jr 41:18, אָדוֹן lord 2 K 19:6‖Is 37:6, שַׂר commander 2 K 25:24‖Jr 40:9; Dn 1:10, חֹר noble Ne 4:8, סָרִיס eunuch Jr 41:18, סָגָן official Ne 4:8, יֹשֵׁב inhabitant Jos 9:24; Ps 65:9; Ps 91:5, ידע ptc. one who knows Is 51:7, worshipper Ps 3:7; 23:4; 27:1; 56:5; 119:120, גָּבֹהַּ high one Jb 41:26, שְׁאֵרִית remnant Jr 41:18; 42:16, יֶתֶר remainder Ne 4:8, מִי who? Ps 90:11 (if em. כְּיִרְאָתְךָ according to your fear to מִי יָרֵא תֹךְ who fears injury?); subj. not specified, Ec 9:2; 12:5.
<OBJ> עַם people Nm 14:9, 9; 1 S 15:24, בַּיִת house Jg 6:27; Ezk 3:9, Abner 2 S 3:11, Esau Gn 32:12, Og Nm 21:34; Dt 3:2, Solomon 1 K 1:51, אִישׁ man Jg 6:27, מֶלֶךְ king Nm 21:34; Dt 3:2, 22; 1 K 1:51; Dn 1:10, אָדוֹן lord Dn 1:10, לִוְיָחָן Leviathan Jb 41:26, דָּבָר word 1 S 28:20, שְׁבוּעָה oath Ec 9:2, יִרְאָה (object of) fear Jon 1:10, 16, מוֹרָא (object of) fear Is 8:12, חַתְחַת terror Ec 12:5, חֶרְפָּה reproach Is 51:7, חֶרֶב sword Ezk 11:8, רַע evil Zp 3:13 (mss ראה see) Ps 23:4, תֹּךְ injury Ps 90:11 (if em.; see Subj.), מַכָּה blow 11QPsApa 211(ויירא[ו את המכה]), מִי whom? Is 57:11, מָה what? Gn 20:10 (if em. מָה רָאִיתָ what did you see? to מַה יָּרֵאתָ what did you fear?); obj. not specified, 1QM 174.
<PREP> לְ for (the sake of), + נֶפֶשׁ soul, i.e. life Jos 9:24, בַּיִת house(hold) Pr 31:21.
בְּ introducing object or on account of, + שְׁמוּעָה report Jr 51:46.
מִן introducing object or on account of, + Assyria(ns) Is 10:24, Israel(ites) Dt 28:10, עַם people Dt 2:4; 20:1=11QT 6113, גּוֹי nation Dt 7:18, Ahab 4QparaKings 12, Jezebel 4QparaKings 12, אֱנוֹשׁ human being Is 51:12, בֵּן son Dt 1:29; Ezk 2:6, of man Is 51:12, מֶלֶךְ king Jos 10:8; Jr 42:11, עֶבֶד servant 2 K 25:24‖Jr 40:9, גָּבֹהַּ high one Ec 12:5, חַיָּה beast Jb 5:22, חֶרֶב sword Jr 42:16, חֵץ arrow Ps 91:5, דָּבָר word Ezk 2:6, שְׁמוּעָה report Ps 112:7, מִשְׁפָּט judgment Ps 119:120, אוֹת sign Ps 65:9, פַּחַד dread Ps 91:5; Pr 3:25, שֹׁד destruction Jb 5:21, שׁוֹאָה devastation Pr 3:25, שֶׁלֶג snow Pr 31:21, רְבָבָה ten thousand Ps 3:7, מִי whom? Ps 27:1.
מִפְּנֵי introducing object or on account of Jr 1:8, + Chaldaeans 2 K 25:26‖Jr 41:18, Israel(ites) Jos 9:24, Philistines 1 S 7:7, עַם people Dt 7:19, Achish 1 S 21:13, David 1 S 18:29, Solomon 1 K 1:50, מֶלֶךְ king Jos 11:6; 1 K 3:28; Jr 42:11, 11, שַׂר commander 2 K 1:15, צַר adversary Ne 4:8, אֵשׁ fire Dt 5:5, דָּבָר word 2 K 19:6‖Is 37:6.
מִלִּפְנֵי introducing object, + David 1 S 18:12.
<COLL> ירא ‖ דאג fear Is 57:11; + ערץ dread Dt 1:29; Is 8:12, חתת be dismayed Is 51:7; Ezk 2:6; 3:9, שׁמע hear voice 1 S 15:24; :: שׂחק laugh Jb 5:22; ירא … מֵעֲשׂוֹת be too afraid of someone … to do Jg 6:27.
ירא + adverb, מְאֹד much Jos 9:24; 1 S 21:13; + פֶּן lest Gn 32:12, אֲשֶׁר לָמָּה lest Dn 1:10.
אַל־תִּירָא do not fear (masc. sing.) Nm 21:34; Dt 3:2; Jos 10:8; 11:6; 2 K 19:6‖Is 37:6; Is 10:24; Jr 1:8; Ezk 2:6, 6; 3:9; Jb 5:22; Pr 3:25, אַל־תִּירְאוּ do not fear (masc. pl.) Nm 14:9; 2 K 25:24‖Jr 40:9; Is 51:7; Jr 10:5; 42:11, 11; Ne 4:8, var. Nm 14:9; 1QM 174, לֹא תִירָא (as command) you shall not fear (masc. sing.) Dt 7:18; 20:1, לֹא־תִירְאוּ (as command) you shall not fear (masc. pl.) Is 8:12, vars. Dt 1:29; 3:22.
2a. fear Y.,* (other) gods, word of Y., etc.; sometimes be afraid of (e.g. Jr 5:22; Mc 7:17; Jb 9:35), but usu. revere, be in awe of, <SUBJ> Israel(ites) Lv 19:14, 32; 25:17, 36, 43; Dt 5:29=4QTestim3; Dt 6:2, 13; 6:24; 8:6; 10:12, 20; 13:5=11QT 5414; Dt 14:23; Dt 28:58; 1 K 8:40‖2 C 6:31, Amalek(ites) Dt 25:18, Babylonians, etc. 2 K 17:25, עַם people Ex 14:31; Dt 4:10; 31:12; Jos 4:24 (if em. יְרָאתֶם appar. that you [sons of Israel] may fear to יִרְאָתָם that they [the peoples] may fear, i.e. inf.) 24:14; 1 S 12:14, 18, 24; 1 K 8:43‖2 C 6:33; Is 29:13; Jr 5:22, 24; Hg 1:12, גּוֹי nation 2 K 17:28, 41; Mc 7:16; Ps 102:16, בַּיִת house of Israel Jr 10:5, Jerusalem/Zion perh. Is 57:11, עִיר city Is 25:3; Jr 32:39; Zp 3:7, David 2 S 6:9‖1 C 13:12, Habakkuk Hb 3:2 (or em. יָרֵאתִי I have feared to וְרָאִיתִי and I have seen), Hezekiah Jr 26:19, Job Jb 1:9; 9:35, Jonah Jon 1:9, Joseph Gn 42:18, Obadiah 1 K 18:3.
אֱנוֹשׁ person Ps 55:20, אִישׁ Dt 31:12; 2 K 17:32, 33, 34; Ps 112:1; Jb 37:24; Ne 7:2, אִשָּׁה woman Dt 31:12, בֵּן son Dt 31:13; Jos 22:25; Ps 72:5 (or em. יִירָאוּךָ may they fear you to וְיַאֲרִיךְ and may he endure, i.e. ארך hi.) Pr 3:7; 24:21, of Israel Jos 4:24 (unless em.; see above) Jg 6:10; 2 K 17:7, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39; 4QMMT B49 ([בני ישראל]) 11QT 4611, טַף children Dt 31:12, מֶלֶךְ king Dt 17:19; Ps 102:16, Pharaoh Ex 9:30, עֶבֶד servant Ex 9:30; 1 K 18:12; 2 K 4:1; Ne 1:11, גֵּר sojourner Dt 31:12, לֵוִי Levite Ml 2:5, worshipper Ps 86:11, קָדוֹשׁ holy one Ps 34:10, מְיַלֶּדֶת midwife Ex 1:17, 21, אַלּוּף companion Ps 55:20, מְיֻדָּע familiar friend Ps 55:20, עֵד witness CD 102 (עוד appar. error for עיד), ירא ptc. one who fears Ec 8:12, עָנִי afflicted one Ps 72:5, רָשָׁע wicked one Ec 8:13, נטה hi. ptc. one who turns sojourner aside Ml 3:5, אֶרֶץ earth Ps 33:8, אֶפֶס end of earth Ps 67:8, מִי who? Is 50:10; Jr 10:7, מִי שֶׁ- whoever 4QMMT C24, כָּל־אֲשֶׁר all who Ps 119:63; subj. not specified, Ex 9:20; Is 59:19; Pr 19:23 (if em. יִרְאַת י׳ לְחַיִּים the fear of Y. [leads] to life Pr 19:23 to יָרֵא אֶת־י׳ לֶחֶם he who fears Y. shall be satisfied with bread) Ec 3:14; 5:6; 12:13.
<OBJ> Y. Gn 42:18; Ex 1:17, 21; 14:31; Dt 4:10; 5:29=4QTestim3; Dt 6:2, 13, 24; 8:6; 10:12; 13:5=11QT 5414; Dt 14:23; 17:19; 25:18, 19; 31:12, 13; Jos 22:25; 24:14; 1 S 12:14, 18, 24; 2 S 6:9‖1 C 13:12; 1 K 8:40, 43‖2 C 6:31, 33; 1 K 18:3, 12; 2 K 4:1; 17:25, 28, 32, 33, 34, 36, 39, 41; Is 25:3; 29:13; 50:10; 57:11; Jr 5:22, 24; 26:19; 32:39; Jon 1:9; Zp 3:7; Ml 2:5; 3:5; Ps 34:10; 55:20; 67:8; 72:5; 112:1; 119:63; Jb 1:9; 9:35; 37:24; Pr 3:7; 19:23 (if em.; see Subj.) 24:21; Ec 5:6; 12:13; Ne 7:2; CD 102, אֱלֹהִים god Jg 6:10; 2 K 17:7, 35, 37, 38, מֶלֶךְ king Jr 10:7, שֵׁם name Dt 28:58; Is 59:19; Ps 86:11; 102:16; Ne 1:11, כָּבוֹד glory Is 59:19; Ps 102:16, דָּבָר word of God Ex 9:20, תּוֹרָה law 4QMMT C24 ([התו]רה), פֹּעַל work Hb 3:2 (or em.; see Subj.).
<PREP> בְּ of time, on, + יוֹם day 2 S 6:9‖1 C 13:12; כְּ as, + עַם people 1 K 8:43‖2 C 6:33; מִן of direction, from (the time of), + מַעֲרָב west Is 59:19, מִזְרָח rising of sun Is 59:19, נְעוּרִים youth 1 K 18:12; introducing object or of cause, on account of, + Y. Lv 19:14, 32; 25:17, 36, 43; Mc 7:17; Ps 33:8, images Jr 10:5, מִקְדָּשׁ sanctuary 4QMMT B49; 11QT 4611; of comparison, (more) than, + רַב pl. many Ne 7:2; מִפְּנֵי introducing object or on account of, + Y. Ex 9:30; Hg 1:12; עִם with, + שֶׁמֶשׁ sun Ps 72:5; לִפְנֵי before, + יָרֵחַ moon Ps 72:5; מִלִּפְנֵי (from) before, + Y. Ec 3:14; 8:12, 13.
<COLL> ירא ‖ עבד serve Dt 6:13; 10:20; Jos 24:14; 1 S 12:14, 24, כבד pi. glorify Is 25:3, גור fear Ps 33:8.
+ עבד serve Dt 10:12; 2 K 17:33, 35, 41, שׁחה htpal. bow down to 2 K 17:35, 36, שׁמר keep commandments, etc. Dt 5:29=4QTestim3; Dt 6:2; 8:6; 13:5; 17:19; 31:12; 2 K 17:37; Ps 119:63; Ec 12:13, עשׂה do according to commandments, etc. 2 K 17:34, הלך walk in ways Dt 8:6; 10:12; 2 C 6:31; walk after Dt 13:5=11QT 5414, חפץ delight in commandments Ps 112:1, אהב love Dt 10:12, דבק cling to Dt 10:20; 13:5=11QT 5414, שׁמע hear voice Dt 13:5=11QT 5414; 1 S 12:14; Is 50:10, לקח accept discipline Zp 3:7, שׁבע ni. swear by name Dt 6:13; 10:20, חלה pi. entreat Jr 26:19, זבח sacrifice to 2 K 17:35, 36, אמן hi. believe Ex 14:31, חיל writhe Jr 5:22, פחד be afraid Mc 7:17, חתת ni. be in awe Ml 2:5, סור turn aside from evil Pr 3:7, סור hi. remove gods Jos 24:14.
:: מרה hi. rebel 1 S 12:14.
ירא+ adverb or noun used adverbially, מְאֹד much 1 S 12:18; 1 K 18:3, אֵיךְ how? 2 K 17:28, יוֹם day Dt 14:23; 1 K 8:40‖2 C 6:31; Jr 32:39.
יִרְאָתָם אֹתִי מִצְוַת אֲנָשִׁים מְלֻמָּֽדָה their fear of me is a commandment taught by men Is 29:13.
לֹא תִירְאוּ (as command) you shall not fear (masc. pl.) Jg 6:10; 2 K 17:35, 37, 38.
2b. revere, be in awe of, respect a human or a thing, <SUBJ> Israel(ites) Lv 19:3, 30; 26:2; Jos 4:14, 14, עַם people 1 S 12:18; 14:26, אִישׁ man Lv 19:3, בֵּן son Pr 24:21. <OBJ> Joshua Jos 4:14, Moses Jos 4:14, Samuel 1 S 12:14, אָב father Lv 19:3, אֵם mother Lv 19:3, מֶלֶךְ king Pr 24:21, מִקְדָּשׁ sanctuary Lv 19:30; 26:2, שְׁבוּעָה oath 1 S 14:26. <COLL> ירא + שׁמר keep sabbaths Lv 19:3, 30; 26:2.
2c. used absolutely, fear, show reverence to, be in awe of, God, or God’s activity, <SUBJ> אָב father Jr 44:10, מֶלֶךְ king Jr 44:10, אִשָּׁה wife Jr 44:10, צַדִּיק righteous one Ps 52:8 (or em. וְיִרְווּ and they shall be sated; mss וְיִשְׂמָ֗חוּ and they shall rejoice), רַב pl. many Ps 40:4, אֶרֶץ earth Ps 76:9. <COLL> ירא ‖ שׁקט be quiet Ps 76:9; + דכא pu. be humbled Jr 44:10, הלך walk in law Jr 44:10, בטח trust in Y. Ps 40:4.
3. ptc. used as noun, fearer, one who fears, one who reveres Y., Y.’s name, etc. (alw. cstr. or with suffix in ref. to Y.; for other forms of ptc., see §§1–2), a. masc. <SUBJ> היה be Ml 3:16; Jb 1:1; 11QT 578, אמר say Ps 118:4, דבר ni. speak Ml 3:16, הלל pi. praise Ps 22:24, שׂמח rejoice Ps 119:74, ברך pi. bless Ps 135:20, pu. be blessed Ps 128:4, כבד ni. be honoured Si 10:20(B), ראה see Ps 119:74, שׁמע hear Ps 66:16, ידע know Ps 119:79(Kt), בין understand Si 35:16, 16(B), בחר choose Ps 25:12, בטח trust Ps 115:11, נצר keep 4QBéat 58, הלך go Ps 66:16; 128:1; Pr 14:2, htp. perh. 4QBéat 58, יצא go out Ml 3:20; Ec 7:18, hi. bring out Si 35:16, 16(B), שׁוב go back Ps 119:79, פושׁ spring about Ml 3:20, נוס htpol. flee Ps 60:6, פגע meet Si 36:1, עסס tread Ml 3:20, נשׂג hi. reach Si 6:16, שׁלם pu. be repaid Pr 13:13, עשׂה do Si 15:1. <NOM CL> מִי זֶה … יְרֵא י׳ who is … the one who fears Y.? Ps 25:12, יראיך לפניך תמיד those who fear you are before you continually 4QapPsb 466. <OBJ> ישׁע hi. save Ps 145:19, חמל spare Ml 3:16, חלץ pi. deliver Ps 34:8, כבד pi. honour Ps 15:4, ברך pi. bless Ps 115:13, ירה hi. teach Ps 25:12, ידע hi. cause to know Ps 25:14, רצה be pleased with Ps 147:11.
<CSTR> יְרֵא י׳ one who fears Y. Ps 25:12; 128:1, 4; Pr 14:2; Si 15:1; 14:4; 26:3; 35:16; 36:1, יִרְאֵי י׳ those who fear Y. Ml 3:16, 16; Ps 15:4; 22:24; 115:11, 13; 118:4; 135:20; Si 35:16(B), יְרֵא אֱלֹהִים one who fears God Jb 1:1, 8; 2:3; Ec 7:18; Si 10:20, 24 ([י]רא), יִרְאֵי אֱלֹהִים those who fear God Ps 66:16; Ec 8:12 (הָאֱלֹהִים) 4QBéat 58 ([י]ראי אלוהים) 11QT 578 (אלוהים), ירא אל one who fears God Si 6:16, יראי אל those who fear God 1QSb 11 (ירא[י אל]) 4QPrayerd 1.11; CD 2019, 20, יִרְאֵי שְׁמִי those who fear my name Ml 3:20, שְׁמֶֽךָ your name Ps 61:6, מִצְוָה (the) commandment Pr 13:13; חלק ירא portion of one who fears Si 26:3, יְרֻשַּׁת יִרְאֵי heritage of those who fear Ps 61:6, אַשְׁרֵי כָּל־יְרֵא happiness of everyone who fears Ps 128:1, רְצוֹן־יְרֵאָיו desire of those who fear him Ps 145:19, כָּל־יְרֵא all who fear Ps 128:1, כָּל־יִרְאֵי all those who fear Ps 66:16, כול יראריכה all those who fear you 4QShirb 52.35.
<APP> אִישׁ man Ml 3:16; Ps 25:12; Jb 1:8; 2:3, גֶּבֶר man Ps 128:4, קָטָן small one Ps 115:13, גָּדוֹל great one Ps 115:13, עֲרִירִי childless one Si 16:4.
**20k word limit reached for post**

@IshChayil can you summarize that please? Or is that the basis for your earlier post?
It's just additional support that yārāh does not mean "feel terror"
I wanted the entry to be there for those who want it. Since the brother linked to a strong's concordance entry I thought I'd include the Cline's exhaustive entry.
The proper way to use it is either to just scan for the bold entries, or look for the exact reference in question ..so summary (I yanked out the bold parts):

fear—Qal
1. be afraid, fear, be fearful
1b. be afraid of (doing), fear (to do)
1c. be afraid of, fear
2a. fear Y.,* (other) gods, word of Y., etc.; sometimes be afraid of ..., but usually revere, be in awe of
2b. revere, be in awe of, respect a human or a thing
2c.
used absolutely, fear, show reverence to, be in awe of
3. ptc. used as noun, fearer, one who fears, one who reveres

Clines, D. J. A. (Ed.). (1993–2011). The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew (Vol. 4, p. 279). Sheffield, England: Sheffield Academic Press; Sheffield Phoenix Press.

Last edited:
keeping metaphor of Israel as G-d's wayward wife out of it)

That's a pretty big exception considering they're the ones with the most to fear. But go ahead, toss out anything that doesn't fit your perspective. Wives must all be upstanding.

Look, simply based on the statistical breakdown we got it down to 6% or less likely that terror is the underlying Hebrew word (terror) or not with no other considerations at all.
When we add to that there are no literal Tanakh examples of an upstanding woman feeling terror towards a righteous husband (keeping metaphor of Israel as G-d's wayward wife out of it) that shows me there is no reason for me to assume a new attribute has been added by the good apostle. I want to eliminate it because it's not a valid translation option and therefore corrupts the meaning of the verse. why would anyone consider terror a valid desired state of a upstanding wife to her upstanding husband? Why do you want it in the running?

Because I'm trying to understand the text and it seems to be a valid translation (even though I don't personally think it the best or even most likely). I'm not going to toss out a translation just because I find it personally offensive. I don't consider mere statistics a sound foundation to declare a translation invalid. Nor is it a good sign that you have to throw lots of qualifications and exceptions into your reasoning.

No, that's not true; the root of reverence does not mean terror. See the big post above with all the breakdowns. The root of terror is usually paḥad (terror/dread), the root from which we translate reverence is yārāh

I'm not referring just to the Strongs at that link, but the BDB as well, which you yourself said to me in another thread was a good resource. And that root is used for terror in many cases.

But all this is a big bait and switch. I asked the question to better understand what Kevin was claiming. But when I spoke about the root of reverence being terror I was talking about Eph 5:33. The applicable word in Eph 5:33 isn't yarah of the Hebrew; but phobētai of the Greek. And the root of that is terror.

As for the definition for Yirah, avoid strongs concordance, actually all concordances. They only show you the path that those who choose to translate the word in that manner used nothing else. Pick up a biblical Hebrew dictionary or a book that teaches biblical Hebrew like Zolas introduction to Hebrew. I can get a list together for you if you want but @IshChayil being a biblical Hebrew teacher probably already has a list. I could point you to a few websites that has definitions but you would only find anotherone you agree with to contradict. In the end your going to have to put in the work and get invested in it. Becoming invested in it will either reinforces your beleif or it will change it.

I asked you a reasonable question, what was the source of your definitions? I provided mine; and it is my usual resource, not something cherry picked. Why are you running away claiming victory? Why are you impugning my motives?

I'm trying to avoid this thread, but want to pop in to say that in the husband/wife relationship, what works best is when the wife respects your positive qualities, your heart for God, your courage, your willingness to stick with tough positions in the face of opposition, your hard work, etc., and sees in you an example to emulate and someone worthy of submission to, who she knows is probably right even when she disagrees with him. If she is merely afraid of your anger and afraid of your punishments, then all I can say is I feel sorry for her and I feel sorry for you. Y'all are missing out....

So do you believe fear is always negative?

I don't believe anyone was claiming fear is the sole sound basis for a good marriage. Simply that Paul taught women to fear (or alternatively reverence, which is not the same as respect) their husbands.

I asked you a reasonable question, what was the source of your definitions? I provided mine; and it is my usual resource, not something cherry picked. Why are you running away claiming victory? Why are you impugning my motives?
That's the problem your seeing this as a game with a winner and loser. Nobody is claiming victory, because your the only one playing the game. The fact that you think this way shows no matter what is said you have to be right. Pick up any Hebrew dictionary and you'll see my source. I thought that was clear in my statement about concordances showing only the translators path not the full meaning. If you really wanted to know you could do a string search. But you font care, it is not about understanding. It's about you having to be right. You want a win for the game your playing, count this as one. If your realastionship with G-d and your wife is based off terror because that's the way you interpret the word ok, it's your realationship with G-d live in terror of Him. It's your realationship with your wife she can live in terror of you. I don't care. If you comeback and say you don't live in terror of G-d and your wife doesn't live in terror of you then you were arguing for no other reason than to argue.

Last edited:
So do you believe fear is always negative?
No, and to suggest that is a straw man.

What I believe is that if a bunch of men are going to sit around dissecting the exact fear response women are supposed to have to male authority, they'd be using their time more wisely discussing how to be better men.

The most applicable part of the conversation is our relationship with G-d and what it is suppose to look like. That a relationship a woman has with her Husband is suppose to be a reflection the one he has with G-d. The idea that a woman would fear an thing is anathema to modern church culure has nothing to do with the scriptures and teachings present. It's just a distraction. We have a choice justify our beleifs by trying to validate our bias or look at the scriptures and how they apply to our own releastionship with G-d and not what the modern church in is trying to proagate. We learn nothing if we just seek to condem others.

Don't need to meditate I know that feeling is why I became a soilder.

Weapons are only scary to liberals. Lol. I was raised around them taught that guns were not to be feared but respected and not mistreated. There were rules to follow. They could be used for good or evil. It was the intent of the weilder to be concerned with. If the weilder followed the rules and did not intend you harm then their were no concern.

I can't say As a kid, I felt any fear when I met Comand Sergeant Nicholson, Airborne, Air Assault, Ranger, frogman, Military Mountaineer, special forces as a few of his credentials. I didn't feel terror, just awe. I wanted to be him and like my grandfather who he served under. Love and respect.

As for his counterpart from a foreign enemy military would there be terror, probably at that time. But unless your saying G-d is our enemy then the parallel is pointless.

Question you mentions that your wife said about why not fear you I get that. You can't honestly sit there and say that she was in terror of you when you first met and that terror became love and respect. So why are you trying to describe the emotional landscape at play between a person and any powerful authority figure that way.

I'm still confused as to why we're using Hebrew to translate this Greek word. As far as I can tell it was written in Greek originally. It has been handed down to us through the Greek. I can't tell that the passages in question are quotes from the Old Testament. It seems like maybe some folks don't like what the Greek says so they're looking for any kind of alternative definition to slide in there but I don't see a direct connection between pachad and yirah and phobos. Although I am fairly confident if I look I will find a lot of references in the Old Testament to people being told to pachad God. Has anyone looked yet?

I am using a reply to your comment to insert this thought for several reasons, the first is that you are easily the most respected practitioner of husbandry here and so this will get a little more attention, and the other is that I think you inadvertently did what I'm about to address so it's actually germane to the conversation. I'm not just trying to ride your coat tails.

Frequently in this thread I have seen men make the fatal mistake of taking God's instructions to wives and morph it into a commentary on what kind of husbands they are. These two things are not linked. A woman's call to fear her husband is not predicated on him being an asshole or abrogated by him being an Andrew. Nothing in the Christian faith is based on what other people do. Whether or not a husband obeys the instructions to him or not on this matter the wife is still under obligation to phobos him; whatever that means at this point. In your comment above you talk about the practical matter of living in peace with a woman and it sounds like it's great advice. Since I only have 8 years of happy marital experience I will certainly bow to your decades of experience.

But we're not talking about practicality or best practices. We're talking about God's instructions to women and what they in turn say about our relationship with God; and turning it around to see if the ideas hold up in the other direction. Obviously there are deep divisions here on the topic but I think it's telling how far the debate is straying from it's original intent. What does it mean that wives are commanded to phobos their husband? It has nothing to do with whether a good husband would need to be "phobosed" because he most definitely would. The command wasn't qualified.

It should be noted that the command isn't qualified the other way either. The passage makes no distinction between a good husband or a bad husband because it's an irrelevant topic. A wife is called to phobos a husband. The husband has no bearing on the situation at all.

So, leaving the aspect of terror and wrath aside for the moment, what are Biblically justifiable reasons why a wife should fear her husband? (Other than the dead horse that we’ve been beating about fearing God). In the real world, what does that look like.

I'm assuming you're looking for something other than, "Because God clearly said so in the text and there are no reasons or caveats given."? I just addressed this in a comment to @andrew , why would the husband factor in to this conversation at all? It has nothing to do with him, whatever kind of husband he is. A righteous woman fears her husband, if he has the personality of James Dobson and the body of Stephen Hawking she is to fear him.

Have been reading the hairsplitting of fear/awe/terror with interest. Does it occur to us that psychological and emotional background and baggage significantly color each person's understanding? To wit: I have a dear lady friend who was, for nearly ten years, radically abused by her husband. The last time, he nearly killed her. She knows terror from one claiming to love her. She would/could never understand or associate that term with her Father. Point, except in God's dealing with enemies or the wicked, I would never refer to Him as a terror in front of her and @ZecAustin 's position that the wife should be in terror would immediately terminate any friendship.

Come on AP, that sounds like emotional blackmail, not two men debating what scripture says about a topic. What kind of a man would I be if I let the threat of losing a friendship make me change a deeply held belief that is based in scripture? And what kind of a man would I be if I let the emotional responses of a woman dictate to me what I thought was right and wrong?

I would respond that a unbiblical response to an unbiblical act is just one more trauma to layer on top of the last; like an abortion for a rape victim.

I'm still confused as to why we're using Hebrew to translate this Greek word.
The teachings of fear of G-d begins in the Tanahk. 90% of the new Testament teachings are continuation of the teachings in the Tanahk. If you remove those teachings and their meanings then your looking at a incomplete narrative.

Back