• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Food

Every body has something they will go above and beyond on to spend extra money on to get. Mine is food in particular honey from new Zealand. I am wondering what everyone else spends money on that is expensive....
Well this is somewhat what we consider a splurge: we buy pistachios, biscotti or olive oil from this older widow who has a little country store on her property in town. It’s a little pricey and we don’t actually NEED any of those items. But the conversation is great and we like supporting her business so we splurge a little every couple weeks and I eat a lot of pistachios! lol

Supporting local small business.
Organic when possible.

Every body has something they will go above and beyond on to spend extra money on to get. Mine is food in particular honey from new Zealand. I am wondering what everyone else spends money on that is expensive....
We also like honey from NZ, from our very own beehive ;).

Manuka honey is something that I will spend stupid amounts of money to buy. It's medical care. I've had infections that won't clear up using normal honey (but don't get worse, it just keeps them the same), but put manuka honey on and it cleared up in 24 hours.

Local grass-fed beef that ate grass, not grain, it’s entire life. I have a freezer full of it right now. Picked the cow up a month ago.

Manuka honey is something that I will spend stupid amounts of money to buy. It's medical care. I've had infections that won't clear up using normal honey (but don't get worse, it just keeps them the same), but put manuka honey on and it cleared up in 24 hours.
Manuka honey and red wine..... for medicinal purposes. :)

Local grass-fed beef that ate grass, not grain, it’s entire life. I have a freezer full of it right now. Picked the cow up a month ago.
honey from new Zealand.
SunGold Kiwi's
You never realise the value of your blessings until other people talk about them - we get such beef and honey straight from the farm (along with mutton and free range eggs), and at the right time of year we can pick up large quantities of reject non-export-grade SunGold kiwifruit (and regular kiwifruit) very cheap. All the kiwifruit that isn't quite the perfect shape for export gets dumped into our local market.

We would spend money on high quality cheese. There's a farm just up the road from us that has water buffalo, and makes amazing buffalo cheese - we splash out on that, and on good cheese at the supermarket.

And persimmons.

Manuka honey is amazing

You never realise the value of your blessings until other people talk about them - we get such beef and honey straight from the farm (along with mutton and free range eggs), and at the right time of year we can pick up large quantities of reject non-export-grade SunGold kiwifruit (and regular kiwifruit) very cheap. All the kiwifruit that isn't quite the perfect shape for export gets dumped into our local market.

We would spend money on high quality cheese. There's a farm just up the road from us that has water buffalo, and makes amazing buffalo cheese - we splash out on that, and on good cheese at the supermarket.

And persimmons.
Never had a persimmon

My favorite thing to do is buy manuka honey and thing travel to a amish homestead that lives about a hour away pick fresh blueberries and get some home bread. The smell of the bread coming right of the oven at the amish homestead is amazing and then drizzling just a little of the honey on the bread right before eating it. It melts right in you your mouth. So delicious I am getting hungry just thinking about it. 😁

Well this is somewhat what we consider a splurge: we buy pistachios, biscotti or olive oil from this older widow who has a little country store on her property in town. It’s a little pricey and we don’t actually NEED any of those items. But the conversation is great and we like supporting her business so we splurge a little every couple weeks and I eat a lot of pistachios! lol
I can eat a whole bag of pistachios in one sitting

In the summer, a splurge of mine is buying SunGold Kiwi's. Oh man, they are so good!
Sun Gold Kiwis are delicious, did you know you can eat the peel on kiwis
Ok, ok, ok, I'm going to have to mention something here lol.
A kiwifruit is what you're talking about.
A kiwi is one of two things. Either a person from NZ, or our national, very endangered, bird. Neither of which you want to peel or eat lol!

But yeah, you can eat the peel of kiwifruit, and it's actually very good for you. Our daughter likes to just eat them whole, like an apple. It's nicer with the gold ones because they're not furry.

Never had a persimmon
These are my favourite fruit :), you should definitely try one!

Back