• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Food

We like good eats. I'll splurge on red wine and cheese. We grow our own beef and chicken, so those are easy... maybe another is a nice selection of Bourbon. (For medicinal purposes, of course.)

Ok, ok, ok, I'm going to have to mention something here lol.
A kiwifruit is what you're talking about.
A kiwi is one of two things. Either a person from NZ, or our national, very endangered, bird. Neither of which you want to peel or eat lol!

But yeah, you can eat the peel of kiwifruit, and it's actually very good for you. Our daughter likes to just eat them whole, like an apple. It's nicer with the gold ones because they're not furry.

These are my favourite fruit :), you should definitely try one!
All this talk of eating kiwis and swedes… you people are disgusting. 😣

I wonder how many of you know how the kiwifruit got its name?

This fruit is actually a Chinese gooseberry. Seed was brought into New Zealand in the 1900s. Large scale commercial cultivation began in the 1950s, with the intention of exporting to the lucrative North American market. However this was during the cold war, and it was found that the word "Chinese" in the name made people think of communism and made marketing difficult. So they decided to invent a different name for export sales.

They first called the fruit "melonette", but the USA had high import tariffs for melons at the time so calling it a melon meant it attracted more tax! So the head of the major export company invented the name "Kiwifruit" in 1959, they immediately switched to that and have used it ever since.

It may be the only fruit that has a name specifically chosen for marketing and tariff circumvention.

Ok, ok, ok, I'm going to have to mention something here lol.
A kiwifruit is what you're talking about.
A kiwi is one of two things. Either a person from NZ, or our national, very endangered, bird. Neither of which you want to peel or eat lol!

I sooo apologize for not being specific in my description of the Kiwifruit! Thank you @FollowingHim2 for clearing that all up.

I DO know you can eat the peel of Kiwifruit, though I have a harder time with the green fuzzy ones. Those have to be cut very thin for me to enjoy it. Even Noah has learned to eat them like an apple while he has been in Denmark. (He says it just seems wasteful to eat it any other way, now.)

Back