• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Girl Talk

When my husband and I vote, we sit down together and decide who we should or should not vote for. I believe that women should have the right to vote because what if you are single? You have no husband at that point, so you are not submissive to anyone. I think you should be able to vote for yourself at that point. After marriage, women should follow where their husbands' lead, and that includes voting.

To those who follow the patriarchal lifestyle, an unmarried woman would be under the protection and covering of her father. If her father wasn't around -- for different reasons -- she would be under the protection and covering of an older male relative. Please understand that the protection and covering offered under the patriarchal lifestyle is totally governed by the word of God, not the whim of man, like it may be in other religions...namely Islam.

Ladies, thank you for all the heart-felt and God honoring responses on this thread. I, like probably all of you, will still vote as long as my husband desires that. I can't see that it is necessarily wrong for a woman to vote, that's why I still vote, but I can see how truly grasping hold of the idea that the husband is the family's representative to the government can make the decision not to vote an easy one.

As so many of you have already said, let the Lord and your husband be your guide!

I will not vote again, ever. Even ifpolygyny and abortion were on the ballot. First of all the "vote for women" does not respect the husband's position since it is all by secret ballot thus puts up lots of contradictions (and temptations possibly) for women who say they will vote "under their husband's diretion" whatever that means. In other words does your husband dictate your vote? Then your vote is meaningless and part of a numbers game. I can vote any way I want for the "law" protects my ballot from my husband's eyes. How's that for promoting family unity! Anyway, in proverbs 31 it talks about what a vuirtous woman is and political life is not mentioned. Independent, businesswoman stuff no problem as long as it benefits her family! That is the bible thru and thru. Maybe the concept of "the family" as being the unit for society (an oriental concept really) as opposed to the individual being the unit is what is not recognized as the basis for this argument. My husband speaks for me in public life, period.

Greetings Lovely Ladies in Christ!

Wow what an amazing topic we have going here, huh? ;) God is Amazing and so is how He designed, gifted and blessed each individual family represented here on His created earth! I'm truly thankful for the Awesome blessing of my dh's protective, loving and spiritual covering & authority that He's placed me in/under so to speak. I'm thankful for the Godly balanced - Healthly spiritual awakening that Yeshua has blessed me with, in regard to Godly-balanced Biblical Submission - minus man made theories, or traditions adding to His Holy words and will for our life

My thankfulness includes the strong, encouraging & loving support of my dh, in the area of Approving of my Christian voice and vote for Christ in this generation being both Heard & Counted. No where in the Bible reading/studies that I've done over these many years, implicates that doing so With my dh's Approval is Sinful or abdicating my dh's Spiritual Authority or leading in our family or marriage on any level. Again if this topic ever becomes an issue in our marriage, or my dh suddendly gets a genuine Godly conviction for me not to vote - of course I would follow his lead in that! Until then my heart is free from un-due guilt or condemnation - As for those of us who are in Christ Jesus - there is therefore No condemnation. Of course there is such a thing as "Healthy/Godly Convictions in life," but not condemnation from those who feel that they've arrived, but whom usually have the furthest to go! ;) Just because I'm a Christian/Submissive/Christ honoring helpmeet, doesn't mean that my dh would ever expect me to check my brains at the door and become "A stepford wife!" That doesn't make one a true Christian woman to do so.

I must agree with Lutherangirl, Sweetlissa, Deut30 and many others here, who agree that until such time that God convicts both us and our dh's that we will continue to let our voices for Christ be heard in the voting arena. Being the Salt & Light that we're All called to be. The voting system is not perfect and has flaws to be worked out for sure, but none of us are perfect or without flaws that need to be fixed/pruning that needs to take place. What in life is perfect other than Yeshua?! Excluding all of the flaws and trappings of the political world/voting, our voices & votes Do Matter. Our votes Do make a difference on some level. I for one will not leave this world in the hands of the evil one, without fighting the good fight in Christ Jesus. For there is a purpose under the heavens, under every season. A time for Peace and a time for War, and a time to stand up & be counted for Christ! A time to vote, and maybe a time not to vote should Yeshua ever direct any of our families not to!

Sorry if there has been any offenses taken with my post, as that is Not my intention on any level. Just a simple fallen sinner, sharing what God has laid on my heart. Trying my best to speak the truth in love and keeping it real as they say! ;) Take care Lovely Ladies of Christ, Go forth in His Holy Name - in His Might & Power, seeking to do His will and finding security, strength of heart, wisdom & joy for the journey! :D

FOR HIS GLORY ALONE!

Faithful (Not Perfect) Servant

I PRAY THAT I BE NOT A HINDRANCE! :)
PROVERBS 3:5-8
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST JESUS WHO STRENGTHEN ME! :)

These blog postings address some of the other important reasons why I think that women voting is a big mistake in general:

http://winteryknight.wordpress.com/2009 ... a-in-2009/

and a lovely companion piece:

http://winteryknight.wordpress.com/2009 ... ng-part-1/
-

This next one is going to be really long but very worth reading. I printed it out myself cause my eyes get tired on the screen. :

http://external.oneonta.edu/cooper/susan/suffrage.html

If anyone wants to know how great the country is doing since women have gotten the vote, let's see? We now have legal abortion in all 50 states, access to cheap and easy birth control, easy divorce, medicalized birth, communistic public schools, subsidized child care, more and more anti child, anti family policies with lots of incentives for single moms! Why should the church take care of them after all? Thank goodness we have those ladies in congress representing us! Our land and women's lot in life is so much better! Now we can get big time corporate jobs and work in mines and factories away from our families! Well worth fighting for I'd say! Way to go christian ladies, keep voting! Miss Cooper (oh excuse me Ms Cooper) would not be surprised at all were she resurrected just now! By the way, I wonder if this discussion were over in a co-ed forum how the men would "vote"?

Greetings Maria (Its ok to be Married) :)

Well hopefully, we'd all Prayerfully consider all issues of life that involves voting, or whatever other issue according to Yeshua's Holy words, and the individual call/plans that He has on each one of our individual familie's life! :D I suppose that there may be a handful/group of men who take issue with the voting world in general, and weather or not that they would
have their wive's voting or not. Just as there are probably more than a handful of men who do prayerfully consider this whole issue and who full heartily support & approve of their dear wifes having the privlage, honor & responsibility of voting. Thus enabling us All to be the Salt & Light that He calls each of us to be, by allowing all of our voices & votes for Christ to be heard & counted among the masses!

If you my dear Sister in Christ take issue with this matter, then by all means do what you feel Yeshua is leading you to do. As you alone will have to answer to Him one day, and not the rest of us for your life choices. As that truth applies to us all. ;)

I first & foremost give Christ Jesus and then my dh, any and all authority in my life. With Yeshua's help with my im-perfect self, I do my best to stay in His will and follow His and my dh's lead in all things. Which again follows the topic of voting, that I do have my dh's approval with! :) Speaking of husbands, has your dh specifically asked you not to vote or is this just your own personal choice not to do so? And by the way, has your sw been asked not to vote? Just wondering. ;) God guide you, grant to you His wisdom & discernment, blessing you with security of who you are in Christ Jesus. Take care and continue to seek His will, finding strength of heart, clarity of mind & joy for the journey.

FOR HIS GLORY ALONE,
Faithful (Not perfect) Servant

I PRAY THAT I BE NOT A HINDRANCE!
PROVERBS 3:5-8 :)

When I shared with you guys at the beginning of this thead the conversation with my friend, Wendy, we were both still undecided and have not had an opportunity to discuss the issue again, but I have enjoyed reading all of your thoughts on the matter. One thing I do believe: God can accomplish His plan for our country with or without my vote.

Faithful Servant said:
who full heartily support & approve of their dear wifes having the privlage, honor & responsibility of voting.

Something about this statement bothers me, but I can't put my finger on what it is exactly. I think I understand what you are saying, FS, but when I think of privelege, honor and responsibility...it is not in reference to the right to vote. I do not consider it an honor to be able to vote for who our country's next leader will be. I do consider it an honor to serve my family, to minister to my neighbor, to be loved by a godly man, to study God's Word and have a relationship with my Creator, to honor Christ in my attitudes and actions..and so much more...being gifted with a gentle and quiet spirit...blessing others with the fruits of the spirit...those are priveleges...and to prepare myself...spiritually and emotionally for my future husband...to love my children and disciple them..those are my responsibilites.
To vote is to acheive an earthly goal.
For myself, I am in a time of purposefully setting aside earthly goals...to acheive the goals directed to us in the Word of God...to obey not only what is mandated to me as a woman, but as a believer.

Hi Faithful,

Well my husband has not specifically asked me not to vote but we see eye to eye on women's roles in family. My SW posted above so you can see what place she is at in all this. I appreciate your position and your prayerfulness on this.

Maria

Just because all of those things have happened since the women's vote was established does not mean you can blame that on women voting. Why don't we put the blame where it belongs, on the deterioration of the Christian family. When husbands stopped being the head of their households, the family fell apart. Yes, of course, as a woman I can vote however I want to. But in a marriage where the husband is the head and the woman is truly following her husband's lead this is not going to happen. If I vote against my husband then I have to answer to God and to my husband, since I am not capable of lying to him.

I think that you (Maria) have the right to choose not to vote if that is what you and your family choose is the right course, but I believe your reasons for saying you will not vote are the same as an ostrich burying its head in the sand.

SweetLissa

I disagree about the ostrich thing realy. If you understand the time period and the history of the suffrage movement and what their ultimate goals for suffrage were- they have pretty much accomplished them (see social problems in previous post.) I encourage all to study the history of why women's sufrage is even around. I don't think I am burying my head in the sand. I am being about the business of my home and family which is women's sphere according to the bible. Public, civic life and deciding who is in charge of it and how it functions (purpose of voting) is not my business since I am a christian lady. Women who wanted the vote in US originally are not called the "first wave femisinsts" for nothing. I appreciate love's last post especially. She really gets to the gut feeling of the matter for me.

Maria,
You are probably right about the original intent for women's suffrage. My point has only been that if we as a family all vote together, we have 3 votes for the same issues. If every feminist votes for abortion or whatever the current issue is, then we as Christians who love the Lord need all the votes we can get. Yes, there is the chance that I could vote differently than my husband. There is also the real risk that if he chooses that T and I should not vote he narrows his vote from 3 votes to 1 vote. That makes a huge difference. If I go against what my husband leads me to do, then that is an issue between he and I. At that point, if he doesn't trust me to follow his leading, then he may well choose that I should not vote, but that is an individual issue.

I never voted to allow abortion or any of the other social issues, but I am NOT going to give up my right to fight against those social issues, unless my husband instructs me to do so.

SweetLissa

Yes lissa,

yes i do understand your point about 'every vote counts' absolutely. i voted for the first time in my life in the 2000 presidential elections in Miami, Florida (I had just become a citizen the year before) so you can imagine how I felt when i figured that my vote was probably not even counted right! It would be painful for me not to vote against any abortion liberalization laws, if that ever came up for a vote, believe me. It's just that my interpretation of a woman's place is not to. At least for me. at this point i find it liberating to have come to the conclusion that i am handing it over to my husband. Maybe it's the fact that i have been single for my entire life and always felt like I wanted to be about the things of my home and family and not the world in general.

Greetings again!

Wow this topic just continues to grow into other areas. Again, I too am a God-fearing, Christ honoring, Submissive, Loving Helpmeet and Friend to my dh that the Lord has blessed me with! My main business, most important call on my life is the Biblical call of being a Biblically balanced & divinely ordered Keeper at Home. I love the Lord my God with All my heart, Soul & Mind and my dh just as much!!! :) I do follow my dh in all things, and he has not asked me not to vote. Until he does or God convicts me otherwise, I will continue to do so. And continuing to have the approval of my dh in this area, we are going forth united in Christ to let our voices & votes for Christ to be heard & counted! So again, my first and most important honor in my life, is having the high calling of striving to be with God's help the Keep of our Home, and helpmeet and mother to our family that the Lord blessed us with!

I am a Proud Stay at Home Mom, whom the Lord has called to home school our precious children, training them in the ways of the Lord! Which my dh also supports and encourages me in this high calling. I too love serving the Lord, which includes serving him by voting for Godly issues and causes, thus enabling us All to be the Salt & Light that God calls us to be, to help fight the good cause of Godlyness to help defeat the evil in this world! I more importantly enjoy, appreciate, value & respect the lovely gift of being a keeper at home and serving my dh in our life together! As well as I enjoy & value all the Love, Joy, work, time, energy and prayer that goes into the lost art of motherhood. Just because I also see voting for Christ and Godly issues, that should concern and effect all of our Christian hearts enough to vote for things of the light/God's kinddom, as a valuable honor Does Not mean I value my Salvation, my marriage or family any less! Theres no meaningful or logical reasoning for anyone to come to that conclusion about me.

I am confident of who I am in Christ. Not with a worldly arrogant pridefulness, but with a Holy Spirit confidence of who God has created me to be! ;) I am in No way shape or form a liberal, rebellious Feminist. I highly doubt or see a Godly woman who votes the same as a feminist. After all, none of us who have the approval of our dh's to vote are encouraging anyone to run through the streets screaming: "I am woman hear me roar, while burning our bras in the process!" :lol: Thats quite a jump to make from one issue to the other. Through prayer and study, I just cannot see how voting is some slippery slope to a path of sinful destruction. Unless of course our dh's were to ask us not to vote anymore, and we wives continued to do so.

Besides if we truly want to be "Biblically Legalistic here," none of us women here at B.f's would be here posting in the first place, let alone reading the forums here or having any type of bible studies with their ladies groups, if it wasn't for God being the first true/balanced/loving liberater of women, combined with the good/healthy parts of the woman's sufferage in the first place! ;) As not all aspects of the woman's sufferage movement was completely bad or evil.

Also in bible times women were not allowed to be educated enough to even learn how to read, let alone go to college. So now are we living in sin because we've been allowed to be educated enough to read our bibles, read the posts here, and receive the college degrees that many of us here have received? Do we use credit cards, our ATM cards, checking accounts, pay the family bills, drive our own cars? All the banking/buying, social secruity number issues have been related to the same as taking the sign of the beast as well. Should we all quit having our quite time of daily bible reading and devotions and prayer time now as well, because after all true Christian women who lived in the bible era weren't allowed to be educated enough if at all, to then be able to read God's Holy words for us All. Is driving next?

It's Legalisim that can quickly become a slippery slope of self-rightegous indignation, harsh judements, pridefulness - thinking more highly of ourselves then we ought too. Do any of us keep all ten commandments perfectly in our lives? Are we not all sinners until the day we die? How dare we take on God's job and harshly & unfairly judge and condemn our sisters in Christ who are allowed to vote, with their dh's & God's approval. Each of us as individuals will one day have to answer to Christ for the personal convictions we chose to act upon in our life time, no one else. I will pray for all of my sisters in Christ to be able to respect their own personal calls that Yeshua has placed on their lives. To pray for God's will to be done in all of our lives, and not just our own perceived notions of truth to be done. Dare we say we have no sin in our own lives, then the truth is not in us. There is healthy/Godly convictions in this life. But for those of us who are in Christ Jesus, there is therefore No condemnation. Why don't we strive to be the Christian women that Yeshua calls us all to be, and give eachother a prayerful/heart-felt hand up, and not a hand out of holier than thou condemnation! ;) Lets do our best in Yeshua's Might & Power to each carry our own cross that He calls us too, and along the way have enough common sence to not burn our bras, or siding with the evil destruction of women & Christian families! Ya know - to walk the talk! :D

Warm Wishes for Yeshuas, Wisdom, Strength of heart, & Provisions,
FOR HIS GLORY ALONE!

Faithful (Not perfect) Servant

I PRAY THAT I BE NOT A HINDRANCE!
PROVERBS 3:5-8

Also in bible times women were not allowed to be educated enough to even learn how to read, let alone go to college

May I ask where you got this information?

Faithful Servant said:
How dare we take on God's job and harshly & unfairly judge and condemn our sisters in Christ who are allowed to vote, with their dh's & God's approval.

I agree that this issue is a matter of personal conviction. I hope that none of my remarks seemed harsh or judgemental. I was mostly just trying to share my own experience. I value each of your differing viewpoints and love hearing about your own journey...it often impacts my own.

Maybe I'm reading way to much into this whole thing, but I have read books on suffrage and lots of women studies. Thanks, Maria, for all the links you posted as well. I can't overstate that women have been abused long before we got the right to vote. Our diverse population continues to increase, so of course we are going to have more social dysfunctional issues with or without women voting.

The expression that comes to mind is "behind every good man there is a good women." Many of our former presidents took counsel from their wives regarding political issues. Presidents like John Adams, who called his wife his friend, and Abraham Lincoln. These two examples of presidents took advice from their wives before their wives could vote. These women were submissive, as they sat knitting next to the fireplace, but not doormats, offering their counsel to their husbands that helped mold and shape our country.

As I am learning and studying how to be submissive to my husband, my concern for the ladies on this site and myself, is not to become doormates for our husbands with no counsel to offer. I think that my husband enjoys that I have a brain in my head. His concern for me is to be able to stand on my own incase he dies before me. If I'm not knowlegeable about worldly things (not living worldly), how will I be able to raise our daughter? Plus, if he just wanted me to have no input at all in social or policial issues, he could have just gotten a dog that would wag it's tail and not require any conversation.

If we, Godly Christian women, give up our rights and freedoms then the other women will eventually run everything in the end. We are never going to turn back the clocks to when women couldn't vote, so we might as well make sure we vote against those immoral women and men and cancel out their votes.

Hello Sisters in Christ,

For me, I thought I was done posting on this topic. However another dear sister in the Lord, whom I value her wise input and have been blessed with new Godly insights through our correspondence, has asked me a question pertaining to this topic at hand. The question I believe was where have I gotten my information regarding women in the bible times/times of Jesus, not being allowed to be educated. Well to be exact, I have gotten this information straight from the bible and through years of bible study and research on this topic.

As we know through study, yes women of that time & for many years since have been trained in the fine arts of motherhood and home keeping. Yes they were trained along the lines of the Proverbs 31 woman. However that training usually did not include women going to the synigos (spellling!) being trained/educated as the boys/men were. And for many moons, it wasn't considered "proper for a woman to be educated, thus being kept from the opportunity afforded to boys/young men to attend college after their normal period of schooling up to the 12th grade. There are many various bible studies and history books to reflect these truths. Many of this information has been shared with me through other "Seasoned, well-studied Sisters in the Lord." I think that Lutherangirl may be able to suggest some good reading materials on this very issue, as she also is very well studied in these areas. Take care and continue to lean on, trust in and be Encouraged in the Lord daily. Seeking his will for your life and finding strength of heart, security and joy for the journey! :)

Warm Wishes,
FOR HIS GLORY ALONE!

Faithful Servant

FS,

I like your Biblical knowledge. You inspire me all the time to learn more. I encourage anyone who can get up to Michigan to visit The Henry Ford, Greenfield Village. It is an outdoor historical museum with farmhouses, courthouses, general stores, taverns, one-room school houses, ect. covering time periods from about the 1600s - 1900s. If you visit the Webster Home at Greenfield Village it even has a movie that talks about how Webster felt about the education of girls. My daughter can get up to four people in for free with her badge. Tickets for adults to the village is $20, so if you have four people my daughter can save you $80.

I think I'm going to start a Christian Women Voting Movement. All in favor, instead of burning our bras, we can knit red crosses on each cup and strap them to our foreheads. People will be able to recognize us from miles away if we make sure the crosses are red and big enough. Does anyone have any better ideas for our symbol for this movement?

Oh, yes, I've spent way to much time on this subject. :roll:

(All in Good Fun)
Michelle

Oh My lutherangirl!

You also inspire me in many ways I'd never dream of either. I never knew how creative you could be with knitting, especially on bras - how thought provoking to say the least! :lol: Thanks for kindly extending invites to the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village in Dearborn Michigan, as it too is a great wealth of information on the history of families, which includes information on issues of God, science, women in general and voting and educational issues of the day as well. I know that you're well read on historical issues of women in the realms of both religion and the sufferage movement. I also appreciate your informative & important reminder of John Adams & Abraham Lincoln and the important roles that their wives played in their marriages and political lives.

Thanks again by the way Maria, for your added input and informational links and sites that you've shared here as well. Btw, I'm wondering Lutherangirl if you can share any particular books or links yourself on these very subjects, as some of us may not have the means to make it here to Michigan to have the wonderful educational experience that the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village offers to so many? :) Thanks again for your motivational and inspiring vision of a God ordained - Christian movement in the voting arena! You've inspired me to think about this important mission field, while encouraging me to rack my brain for a Christian name for this fine movement. Somehow "Bra's for Christ has a resounding ring to it!" Just joking of course - come on lovely ladies & lighten up a little. After all a merry heart doeth well, as laughter is the best medicine in life! :lol: Take care all, and God be with thee, guide thee and bless thee all, according to the motives of your hearts.

Warm Wishes,
FOR HIS GLORY ALONE,

Faithful Servant

Why do I suddenly hope that none of the guys ever read this thread...they are going to think that we've completely lost our minds. :lol:

Back