• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Girl Talk

FS,

I like your idea about the name for the group. :D I've listed a few of my favorite books; however, some of them are pretty lengthly and not a quick study:
Inside The Victorian Home[i] by Judith Flanders; America's Women 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines by Gail Collins, The Bishop's Boys by Tom Crouch (because it talks about the Wright Brother's Sister Katherine attending Oberlin College during the late 1800s), then for a short history on Women's History in America, go to http://www.wic.org/misc/history.html. If you don't like to read there are several documentaries that PBS and the history channel run. My favorite films are the house series like Manor House that was produced by Wall to Wall Television. They have produced about five films with volunteers that go back in time to discover what it was like to live that particular time period.

I do agree with Love about what the guys would think of this thread. I'm sure they could think of a name for the Christian Women Voting Movement. ;)

Oh, yeah, my offer still stands about getting people into the museum for free. I forgot to mention that it also has an indoor museum as well plus lots more...

Blessings,
Michelle

Hey there Ms.Love,

Haven't we already lost all brains cells with each child that we mommas have had?! :lol: Our dh's should realize this & have compassion & conduct never-ending prayer for us. ;) Anywho on another note about this whole topic, without going into my usual mini -novel mode :roll: - Lutherangirl has reminded me of some very true & thought provoking thoughts regarding the women of Christ's time. Once again I'd like to point out, that Yeshua himself was the first one to put the whole woman's sufferage movement into action, so to speak. From a Divine & Holy perspective of course! :)

Lutherangirl has reminded me of the woman at the well, Mary Magdline, etc. When I remember Jesus's response to the woman caught in the act of adultery, He didn't condemn her. However He did challenge the crowd that were ready to stone her to death, for those with no sin in their own lives to go ahead & cast the first stone! And yes of course, He firmly but Lovingly told her to go & sin no more! Again we know that Yeshua doesn't condone sin on any level, but apparently He had granted His merciful forgiveness to the woman caught in the very act of adultery. I still wonder How Yeshua who was capable of this great love & mercy for women, would feel about us Christian women of today voting. Would he tell us that our votes for Him thus far were Ok & appreciated, but to go & sin no more? I don't see this specific topic of voting even being brought up in the bible, since for the most part of bible times voting rights were not the norm. As these countries/lands were run by Kings and dictatorships,etc. Remember how we say that for the most part, regarding the subject of pm, that Yeshua was quite and spoke not directly on that topic. Hmmmm, I still wonder how that may apply to this very issue as well?! ;)

Anyways we each have to be obedient, to the very specific and special call that Yeshua places on each of us as individual children of God, and as Christian families. Always prayerfully seeking His will for our lives in all things. Take care all & Keep on Keepin on with God, family & friends.

Warm Wishes,
Faithful Servant :)

Dear Faithful Servant,
One thing I love about the women here at BF is that although we may have differing personal convictions about some issues, we are all committed to following Christ and obeying God's word. It is such an honor to get to know you here. :)

Hugs,
Love

As I've read the posts to this rather controversial subject it occurs to me that there may be some confusion concerning the definitions being used. If two people use the same word but have different meanings for that word, confusion will ensue!

Does the word "education" mean being taught to read? If so, most of the population at the time of Christ, both men and women, were illiterate. Those who were literate were usually the sons of wealthy families or those who used reading in their line of work. My research shows 2% of the population being literate. However, since most information during that era, especially in the synogogue, was passed down orally, reading was not necessary for education. There was also very little to actually read, save the Torah, some manuscripts and perhaps official records such as those mentioned in Esther.

My concern is the constant linking of reading to education. This puts a decidedly 21st century flavor to our interpretation of God's Word. Let's look at actual biblical examples of women in the Bible who, even though they probably didn't read, were obviously well educated.

Miriam: prophetess; songwriter

Esther: She knew her people's history and was capable enough to outwit the king's second-in-command

Huldah the Prophetess:

2 Kings 22:14
So Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam, and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asahiah, went unto Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe; (now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the college;) and they communed with her.

I added the above verse because I thought it was humorous that it included the word college, which at this time in history did not exist as we know it today.

Deborah: a judge of Israel

The Virtuous Woman: She must have had a pretty good education in economics and trade, considering she bought, sold and directed her maidens all while at home and under her husband's covering.

Priscilla, the wife of Aquila: She and her husband taught Paul "the way of God more perfectly". I figure that in order to teach Paul, a Pharisee who must have known how to read, she had to have had a pretty good education.

It's so easy to judge the past by the standards of today, but I don't think it's best. To say that the God of the New Testament was a loving liberator leads some to believe the inverse that the God of the Old Testament was an unloving dominator. Nothing could be further from the truth, because God never changes. The God that gave what some take as restrictions on female behavior in the Old Testament is the same God that told Mary Magdalene, "...go and sin no more".

All throughout the Bible, God's commands show his desire for well educated people, not educated according to our 21st century standards (which are pretty shabby), but according to His standards, which are perfect. He desired His people to know His Words, thus ALL the children of Israel were commanded to listen to the reading of the law -- that means girls and women, too. I can't think of anything more important than God's Word for the educating of both girls and boys.

I think the references above show that women in the Bible had ample opportunity to be well educated.

If you made it all the way to the end, thanks for reading!

Deut30,

Very good points indeed. Yes, there are all types of educated people who have various skills. Many people didn't go to college to learn this but as you stated they were handed down 'orally' or on-the-job training. I'm glad that you brought up these points that not many people could read in Biblical times or for many times periods to come after. That is why so many churches use stained glass and such, so people that couldn't read could understand by looking at the pictures protrayed in glass, etc.

I guess you are right regarding wording. I was referring to reading and schooling, so some of my posts were around this type of education for women and young ladies.

Blessings,
Michelle

Greetings Deut30,

Yes very good points indeed.Thanks for the helpful and insightful reminders of all the strong & wise women of the bible. I was referring to other areas of education as well. Referring to man's perception of the "so-called need or unimportance of women being educated or in the know on all issues of life." I do realize about the traditions/teachings being passed down orally as well. Which again even this type of teaching was not encouraged much for the women to receive in the official synigogs (spelling)as the young boys and men were encouraged in these areas, to the same level of learning. Yes many Christian families would pass important Biblical Truths down to their entire family, including their sons & daughters which took place in their personal homes. Not the so-called schools of the day.

Also I was miss-understood when referring to Jesus being the first woman's liberator. I of course did not mean it in today's terms, in regard to feminism. It was a play on words so to speak. I do feel however that right from the beginning of the bible - OT through the whole NT, that Yeshua was the one instructing the men of God, all men really, to Love their wives as Christ loves the Church, to give up their lives for them. Never did He once encourage them to believe that because He instructed and taught men to be the Spiritual Head of their homes, that it was ever ok to treat them as though they were their own private property or slave. Nor was it alright to treat them as verbal or physical punching bags. Like Esther and many other wise women of the day, God was the one who gifted these women in the areas of intelligence and hearts of submission & strong love for God, their husbands & brothers & sisters in Christ. Yes God gave us very specific roles to fulfill as women & men of God. We are to be under our dh's Spiritual authority and loving/protective covering. We are to submit to our husbands in all things. But a true leader of the home & in life, is not just a dictator but a Servant Leader as Christ was to us & His father in heaven. As I'm sure we all understand this already. But again, I never said that God was a demanding or insensitive dictator in the OT and then had a change of heart towards women in the NT. God is the same yesterday, today & forever. And He's always had women's best interest at heart. Just as He did with the woman at the well, and the woman caught in the act of adultery, and so on.

So once again to just wrap this up on my end, if my dh ever feels convicted of God that I should not vote I would of course obey him in that! :) However, my dh is glad and appreciative of the fact that God gifted me with intelligence and a heart of concern for the things of God and a concern for the evil of this world. And as such, my dh expects me to use the intelligence and gifting's that God has given me, to stand up and be heard & my vote counted for Christ, and my vote to go against the evil in this world. I just cannot see biblically where It would be considered a sin for me to vote with my dh's approval or otherwise. But again, we each have to be obedient to the specific call that Yeshua places on each of our individual lives. I have enjoyed hearing all of the different insights here, and appreciate all of you lovely ladies sharing your heart felt convictions towards living a Christ honoring life. :)

Warm Wishes,
FOR HIS GLORY ALONE,

Faithful Servant

I PRAY THAT I BE NOT A HINDRANCE! :)

Oh I'm sorry Ladies!

Me again - Big Mouth F.S. here again!!! :lol: Please forgive my rambling, as I don't mean to hog the forums here. You have to understand that I live with a house full of young boys & men,& our two dogs are even male! So I guess you poor ladies get the brunt of all my heart's pondering's, that my boys don't enjoy hearing or speaking with me about. :roll:

But Anywho! I forgot to respond to Deut30's great points regarding the wise & gifted women of Jesus's day. I guess that because of all these lovely ladies of Christ that Deut30 pointed out, with all of the important roles they played and different responsibilities that they were allowed to work in, that these truths pertain to my thought process of it being not a sin for women to have the approval of our dh's to vote in this day & age. ;) Thanks Deut30 for these very insightful, wise & thought provoking truths that you shared regarding these women, as it comforts me in my dh's decision to allow me to vote. Take care all, God be with thee, guide thee & Bless thee according to the motives of our hearts! :)

Warm Wishes,
F.S.

Back