• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Giving your daughter in marriage...

Than try to change the laws and employee policy
I am all for that, but I want nothing to do with the progressive groups who are attempting to push that agenda. I asked my supervisor about this, and he said he would ask HR, but I don't really have any leverage when it comes to that. Makes me want to start my own business.

Than try to change the laws and employee policy
I am all for that, but I want nothing to do with the progressive groups who are attempting to push that agenda. I asked my supervisor about this, and he said he would ask HR, but I don't really have any leverage when it comes to that. Makes me want to start my own business.
If you cannot even influence the policy of your own employer, there's no way you're going to change the law.
My employer will not grant benefits to anyone not legally recognized as a spouse.
So this is basically a play to get paid more? (ie get your employer to pay insurance on two wives instead of one, or whatever the benefits are that you speak about, so they don't come out of your pocket directly). That's not going to happen. Simple finances. Whatever benefits you're talking about actually cost the employer money. Why should they spend more money on your family just because of your personal lifestyle choices?

You might manage to get them to grant the same benefits to de-facto partners as to wives - but it would still be only one partner per employee, due to finances.

never could seem to resurrect his career.

Many didn't. Too many H1B's.

most likely to grant a waiver from its anti-bigamy laws.

That's not how statutory law works. The best you could do it an attorney general's opinion that the law in it's current form is unenforceable under current jurisprudence. And that's not going to sway your employer anyway.

So this is basically a play to get paid more? (ie get your employer to pay insurance on two wives instead of one, or whatever the benefits are that you speak about, so they don't come out of your pocket directly). That's not going to happen. Simple finances. Whatever benefits you're talking about actually cost the employer money. Why should they spend more money on your family just because of your personal lifestyle choices?

It's possible though that as part of negotiating for a pay increase he could negotiate for coverage for the sisterwife. Insurance rules might get in the way though; some of that is out of the employers hands. Actually, with all the federal regulation these days it may be out of the Insurance carriers hands as well. IDK.

But you've have to have a strong negotiating position and be willing to walk away to pull it off.

Many didn't. Too many H1B's.
That's why I went back and earned a Master's Degree. I couldn't fathom working in any other career field. I like what I do!

If you cannot even influence the policy of your own employer, there's no way you're going to change the law.
Sometimes I think we should probably just engage in civil disobedience. I can imagine walking around the television cameras, telling people that this woman over here is my other wife, thereby making her my common law wife, and holding my arms out, and asking, "OK, are you ready to arrest me?" I guess the fallout from the Short Creek Raid, is that nowadays they don't want to arrest you, which is not totally a bad thing, but it won't generate the societal sympathies that would get the laws amended. I can see though, where applying for a waiver, and getting denied, might get some media attention, but I don't know, and it would take a strong woman, who was willing to put up with that.

I'm replying to posts on page nine.

Union boilermakers, Union pipefitters, Union electricians, union Ironworkers, all make good money. I was a union boilermaker for 16 years and I did not need a college degree or college education in any way shape or form.

Our country is the only country in the world if I'm correct that pushes college education, we've got people getting so far in debt with college education that is completely useless to them and it is a shame.

Oh and for the record all Union crafts have a four-year apprenticeship as far as Boilermakers are concerned a first-year Apprentice started out at 70% scale which was about $26 an hour 16 years ago, today it would be more. An apprentice got paid to learn.

Last edited:
It's not better if you end up with debt that cancels out the pay increase. Or if you can't get employment in the field you train for. And with the number of college students increasing, college costs rising faster than inflation, and corporate discrimination increasing college education becomes a worse deal by the day.

And not getting college/votec training doesn't mean you're relegated to minimum wage jobs. In some parts of the country, yes. But not everywhere. Definitely not in my state. I know kids without post high school education making what STEM graduates make.

This whole idea that you need post high school education in order to succeed in life is a myth; plain and simple. It's not necessary to succeed in life. But it is necessary for the powers that be to saddle us with debt and indoctrinate our children.
Speaking of indoctrination, anyone see the film out now by Dennis Prager? It's called "No Safe Spaces". SEE IT!

I'm replying to posts on page nine.

Union boilermakers, Union pipefitters, Union electricians, union Ironworkers, all make good money. I was a union boilermaker for 16 years and I did not need a college degree or college education in any way shape or form.

Our country is the only country in the world if I'm correct that pushes college education, we've got people getting so far in debt with college education that is completely useless to them and it is a shame.

Oh and for the record all Union crafts have a four-year apprenticeship as far as Boilermakers are concerned a first-year Apprentice started out at 70% scale which was about $26 an hour 16 years ago, today it would be more. An apprentice got paid to learn.
Bingo!
Excellent post. I think that word is getting out.

Of the seven daughters God has blessed me with so far; one is married, two are of the age and one of those seems to be on the verge of marriage, two more are in their teens and one of those would be capable of being a wife and mother already even though she's still a tad too young. The last is two.

I can say that the current crop of young men is so far below standard that I wouldn't rule out any Godly, eligible man.
what age do you call "of the age"? Is marriage to a husband age determined?

Welcome to the forum @meister.
For obvious reasons, "of the age" means at least the legal age of consent in the jurisdiction you live in, plus being of sufficient physical and emotional maturity in the opinion of her father. In the present-day legal environment marriage is most certainly age determined. In the absence of such laws (historically and in certain countries today) it would come down to physical and emotional maturity.

I must make it very clear that this ministry does not in any way support underage marriage.

We generally recommend using the legal age for the county, state, province, country that you live in as a starting point. They vary widely.

edit: I see that the question was being already answered.

Back