• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Google phishing site warning - anyone else seen this?

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
I just visited this thread using Chromium (the open source version of Chrome), and ran into a big red error screen with Google telling me this was a dangerous phishing website. However, it didn't say biblicalfamilies.org was a phishing website, but fundamentalforums.com, which I think has nothing to do with us and, when I try to visit it, doesn't even seem to exist. Click thumbnail below to see the warning message I received.
Screenshot_2018-12-13_15-55-36.png

1) Has anyone else run into this message when browsing anywhere on Biblical Families?

2) What is fundamentalforums.com? Are there any links to there from here that could cause Google to link the two sites?

This is extremely concerning. Google is starting to decide what websites are legitimate, and with their partial dominance of the browser market with not only Chrome, but this shows their influence extends to the open source Chromium and therefore probably the various other alternative browsers based on Chromium also. What happens if they decide we're "dangerous", and tell all Chrome users not to visit, or even make it impossible for them to visit...

I've filed a report that the warning was incorrect, but doubt anyone reads those.

Last edited:
Hmm no problems for me. But you’re right that is concerning... I am using chrome browser on both an iPhone and also an android tablet.

Safari rendered a similar warning — the first time I've seen a red page like this.

fundamentalforums warning.png

No warning for me with regular chrome.
I have never seen a warning here.

@mystic, did you get that warning when visiting fundamentalforums.com, or visiting a page on biblicalfamilies.org? Safari's address bar indicates fundamentalforums.com, that wouldn't be an immediate concern for us, unless you were automatically directed there from here somehow.

Last edited:
I got it on this site when I clicked on the "Are you IFB?" thread. Did not try to go to the above web site at all, although the warning does list that site. I am using Chrome on Linux.

The fundamental forums gave me a weird message about a back end and not having enough time to respond. She must have been moving fast because I usually respond pretty quick to stuff like that....

Last edited:
Interesting. Only people it's clearly happened to while on this site are @cnystrom and myself. Both on Linux, both running a variant of chrome / chromium.
However that could be a coincidence though and it may not be related to the browser or operating system. I get the same warning when going to fundamentalforums.com from Firefox, as did @mystic from Safari.

I got that message too @ZecAustin, I think I must have chased her away.

@mystic, did you get that warning when visiting www.fundamentalforums.com, or visiting a page on biblicalfamilies.org? Safari's address bar indicates fundamentalforums.com, that wouldn't be an immediate concern for us, unless you were automatically directed there from here somehow.
Samuel, I've not seen a strange warning in connection with any page of BF. I typed "fundamentalforums.com" into Safari and got a red page that looks very similar to the screenshot you posted, but it was also different in its details so I posted my screenshot as well.

I'd say the red page is not being generated by one's browser, but is intended to deceive by appearing that way. Seems that site is using browser-sniffing to show a page designed to mimic the visitor's OS.

In plainer English for the non-technical reader: fundamentalforums.com tries to trick you into clicking its buttons by disguising them as if they come from your own system. Don't click them, just close the window.
She must have been moving fast
I must have chased her away.
Whomever this "she" is, I'm content to not know her.

Regarding Chrome: Since it's made by Google, purveyor of plenty of Evil things including AMP, I'm happy to avoid it.

Hi its been a while since I have been here. I didn't have any troubles, no warnings and I am on a new android which I have never accessed the website on this phone. Using Google
Welcome back. Good to see you.

If I actually go to the fundamental forums web site I get the same warning. When I go to our IFB thread now, I no longer get the warning that I got before.

Domain name search reveals that it is a godaddy.com domain and little else:

Domain Name: FUNDAMENTALFORUMS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 253113343_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Updated Date: 2016-10-10T16:15:14Z
Creation Date: 2005-11-11T19:17:55Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2018-11-11T19:17:55Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: 480-624-2505
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Name Server: NS-1011.AWSDNS-62.NET
Name Server: NS-1136.AWSDNS-14.ORG
Name Server: NS-1826.AWSDNS-36.CO.UK
Name Server: NS-234.AWSDNS-29.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned

@mystic, fundamentalforums.com may well be a phishing website, and I have no problem with a browser throwing warnings about that if it is. These bright red pages are browser-generated warnings - that is clear because they look different in Chromium, Safari and Firefox, even having different text, but the same general message. But I don't really care what happens when someone tries to navigate to that website.

What concerns me is that both myself, @cnystrom and @MaryandJim have got this warning while browsing the Biblical Families forum. And that the warning has associated this website with fundamentalforums.com.

It's also concerning that multiple browsers clearly have the capacity to generate such warnings (even though they have only been shown to occur on this website in one browser so far). So it's not just a Google "feature".

That's a serious problem. If whatever "authority" (be it Google or a consortium of organisations) ever decided that Biblical Families was a phishing site, and threw up red warnings like this to all visitors, the online ministry would be effectively destroyed overnight. I'm trying to figure out what's happening ASAP so we can work out if there's an issue and deal with it immediately.

And "she" is a joke, @ZecAustin and I have a confusing sense of humour.

To be very clear, I am not interested in error messages when browsing to any other website. Only error messages seen on biblicalfamilies.org.

I'm on Windows, using Chrome, and just got the same popup on two Biblical Families threads. o_O

Back