• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Google phishing site warning - anyone else seen this?

I had it on another one too, so for me it was 3 threads total so far. One was the Temple dedication, the IBF or IDF...but I can't recall the last one. I think it has a common poster..but not sure on that either.

What is fundamentalforums.com?
I don't really care what happens when someone tries to navigate to that website.
These bright red pages are browser-generated warnings
Safari's native warnings do not look like that. And when I hit the Back button, I see evidence that a redirect is taking place.

Since you've been very clear about what you're not interested in, I'll leave it at that.

Thankyou everyone. If you ever see this, please post a link to the thread you saw it on here (straight away before you forget which thread it was please!). That will be very helpful for us trying to troubleshoot and remove this.

It looks like most browsers subscribe to a Google service to warn against phishing websites, and Google will have flagged this site as phishing due to an upload or link posted by a user somewhere, or an issue with the underlying site, that information is then passed on to all browsers that subscribe to the warning service. Turns out it's a common problem websites can run into occasionally, but not always easy to fix. We'll have to figure out what content has caused this to be flagged and correct it before they'll remove the warning. Any information that helps us to find whatever Google thinks is a problem will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
FWIW, I’m not getting the warnings on either thread @KatyBeth posted using Google Chrome on an iPad.

I used to be a web developer:

Short answer? There's no real security problem, everything is totally ok.

Long answer? There's images on those pages which are being loaded from externally linked web pages. The browser is warning that not everything on the web page is secure. Specifically, it's the "sigpic576_2.gif" below.

Solution? Looks like maybe the forum software has a setting which requires all externally linked images be SSL/HTTPS per link here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/forcing-ssl-on-all-images-on-site.81694/

What if we don't do this solution? Some pages will generate that red screen warning in some browsers when external links to images are used. No impact to SEO or search engine issues. Just a distraction to normal users.

Does Jesus still love me? Yes, you're all good. :)

All the best,

--JAG

upload_2018-12-13_19-49-56.png
upload_2018-12-13_19-50-51.png

I used to be a web developer:

Short answer? There's no real security problem, everything is totally ok.

Long answer? There's images on those pages which are being loaded from externally linked web pages. The browser is warning that not everything on the web page is secure. Specifically, it's the "sigpic576_2.gif" below.

Solution? Looks like maybe the forum software has a setting which requires all externally linked images be SSL/HTTPS per link here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/forcing-ssl-on-all-images-on-site.81694/

What if we don't do this solution? Some pages will generate that red screen warning in some browsers when external links to images are used. No impact to SEO or search engine issues. Just a distraction to normal users.

Does Jesus still love me? Yes, you're all good. :)

All the best,

--JAG

View attachment 681
View attachment 682
I don't understand all the techno-babble but once I saw the problem had my picture on it it all made sense.

Just to clarify, it was actually @NeoPatriarch, but completely unwittingly. Years ago he added a picture to his signature that was hosted at fundamentalforums.com. He hasn't been around for a while so his signature didn't appear many places. When he started posting again over the last few days (and it's great to have him back), his old signature turned up on each new comment. But in the intervening time Google had decided that the site hosting his image was a phishing site (rightly or wrongly), and now every page that he posted on linked to this 'phishing' site. Every page that people found problems with was one that @NeoPatriarch had posted on, because each of these pages was pulling data from fundamentalforums. It's a really simple thing to happen, could happen to anyone. It will probably be @ZecAustin next time. :)

There’s no permanent damage @NeoPatriarch - glad to have you back.

Oh no, it's no problem at all. Great to have you back.

And it's helped show us a vulnurability in how the internet works these days, that is very important to be aware of.

I do believe I've seen polygyny discussions on a site called either fundamentalforums or fundamentalistforums....something like that. It's been a while and now I'm scared to go back and search.

I do believe I've seen polygyny discussions on a site called either fundamentalforums or fundamentalistforums....something like that. It's been a while and now I'm scared to go back and search.

Me! Me. That was me.

Well, and Hugh McBryde was there too. But some of it was me.

Some of those debates were legendary, before they reset the whole site. ...but I digress.

So what has happened to that site? And why would Google think it is a phishing website? Any ideas?
Just working out if there's something we need to avoid happening here.

BTW, Google has been converged by the left. So don't be surprised if they weaponize this functionality in the near future to start censoring sites that have politically incorrect ideas.

Back