• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Great/inspirational quotes

Sometimes love is a choice.

“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo.

“So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

The Greek word theion translated “brimstone” is exactly the same word theion which means “divine.”… The verb derived from theion is theioo, which means to hallow, to make divine, or to dedicate to a god (See L_iddell and Scott Greek-English Lexicon, 1897 Edition). To any Greek, or any trained in the Greek language, a “lake of fire and brimstone_” would mean a “lake of divine purification.”… Divine purification and divine consecration are the plain meaning in ancient Greek. In the ordinary explanation, this fundamental meaning of the word is entirely left out, and nothing but eternal torment is associated with it.

Charles Hamilton Pridgeon (1863-1932)
Is Hell Eternal, or Will God’s Plan Fail? (1920)

My friend Dana and I talk about how we want to make everything all right for those we love, and cannot. Her mother died of pancreatic cancer only a few months ago. We say to each other that if we were God we would make everything all right, and then we stop. Look at each other. Because we suddenly see that making everything all right would not make everything all right. We would not be human beings. … We agree sadly that it is a good thing that we are not God; we do not have to understand God’s ways, or the suffering and brokenness and pain that sooner or later come to us all. But we do have to know in the very depths of our being that the ultimate end of the story, no matter how many eons it takes, is going to be all right.

Madeleine L’Engle (1918-2007)
Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage

My friend Dana and I talk about how we want to make everything all right for those we love, and cannot. Her mother died of pancreatic cancer only a few months ago. We say to each other that if we were God we would make everything all right, and then we stop. Look at each other. Because we suddenly see that making everything all right would not make everything all right. We would not be human beings. … We agree sadly that it is a good thing that we are not God; we do not have to understand God’s ways, or the suffering and brokenness and pain that sooner or later come to us all. But we do have to know in the very depths of our being that the ultimate end of the story, no matter how many eons it takes, is going to be all right.

Madeleine L’Engle (1918-2007)
Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage
As bad as it was, I think that Bruce Almighty is a model for what kind of trouble we would cause if we had the position.

“We know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28)

Search as we may, there is no Biblical reason for the existence of any denomination. God needs no voice and no interest in this world except His Own Son living in hearts, zealously affected by Heaven’s interests. God needs no standard in this world but His Own living Epistles, known and read of all men. God has no program in this world, but that one which is propagating the Man Christ Jesus in the lives of individuals. Anything less, anything more, or anything else than this one cause, while appearing to be aiding this cause, is enemy to the cause.

Before we will do the right thing, we are going to have to understand God’s view of all this man-made duplicity in which we are caught.

Marvin L. Fieldhouse (1927 - 2001)
The Modern Menace of Protestantism (1964)

"God needs no voice and no interest in this world except His Own Son living in hearts, zealously affected by Heaven’s interests."

"God needs no voice and no interest in this world except His Own Son living in hearts, zealously affected by Heaven’s interests."

C'mon, Martin. So close, but critically wrong. It's His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit. His Son has made a covenant with us and we are betrothed. Now He has gone ahead of us to prepare a place for us where we will be joined to Him. That will be the marriage, when the bride and groom become one. Until then, He is not in us, but we follow His Spirit and prepare ourselves.

Israel’s warfare is with flesh and blood on the earth. Ours is with wicked spirits in the celestial realms. We should always remember that those who oppose us are merely the intermediaries used by the spiritual forces and treat them accordingly. It is not our place to wrestle with blood and flesh but to look beyond the human instrument to the real adversary in the spirit world. Material weapons are worse than useless. Our attitude toward men should be one of purest conciliation, not strife.

A.E. Knoch (1874-1965)
Concordant Commentary,
(Ephesians 6:10)

"Let us treat one another with kindness, with understanding, with grace. Let us focus on our own gifts, our own inspirations, our own passions. Let us aim our sharp words at the criminocrats, not one another. And let us raise one another up, our fingers interlocking to form an unbreakable bond of ungovernability even the instigators cannot rupture."

Margaret Anna Alice

"His judgments are designed to correct men, not to destroy them."

– Stephen Jones

Back