• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Guidelines for posting an introduction

I've cut-and-pasted the only section of your original post that includes bolded text:

Including varying text sizes, most of the section above is not only larger, but the part about what the Introductions Section is is not bolded, whereas what it is not is not only bolded but has a capitalized NOT intoducing the bolded statement. If it wasn't intended to be a warning, it certainly comes across as a warning.

I get that it was carefully worded to not actually restrict anything (I guess), but this sounds like plausible deniability to me. Writing in a smaller text size that you won't stop us from posting advertisements while having already written, "This introductions section IS NOT for posting advertisements looking for a wife" is more akin to being fine print than assurance that one won't be further discouraged.

And, please hear me, I did not post my profile for the purpose of inspiring dating, nor do I believe it will create that result; I shared it to add additional perspective to the various ongoing conversations here about dating sites. In fact, the result has been just as I predicted it would be: devoid of expressed romantic interest but instead including further discouraging comments from fellow brothers intent on dissuading me from believing I could possibly convince another woman to join our family (iow, successful flypaper).

And, given that I've been asked to point out examples of discouragement outweighing encouragement related to forming plural families, I assert that this part of your initial paragraph is such an example. Of course, caution is always in order, but such statements that label people fools are not only embarrassingly discouraging, whatever truth they contain seem to be repeated around here far more often that the percentage they represent within all the myriad of truths one could potentially write to provide advice related to seeking new partners. An old saw is, "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all." I think that's extreme, but would it be too much to encourage each other to share at least two positive encouraging pieces of advice about how to seek new wives for every piece of discouraging advice? Or to at least sprinkle in an encouraging comment every fifth slam or so?
I've toned it back. The content is still essentially the same, but the language and emphasis is quite different. How does this look?

I've toned it back. The content is still essentially the same, but the language and emphasis is quite different. How does this look?
Not that I'm the final authority, but I do approve of the unbolding.

I'd still amend the wet-your-pants disclaimer at the bottom. As a fix, you could just remove the parts about how terrible things might happen even if you didn't know the Taliban was using your site as a step-through, and then, instead of linking to the site that is nothing but an opinion commentary, set up a link to the actual legislation and let readers make their own informed opinion.

Thank you, though, for making it less of a WARNING!

;)

The footnote is still there, but is toned back further.

More importantly, I have added a new sticky thread providing links to dating websites, and have added links to the introductory post in this thread pointing people towards that resource. I think this strikes a good balance and may be useful for many people.

@Keith Martin, I understand what you are saying, and appreciate it, but I'm in agreement more with @rockfox here. I don't see the harm in being cautious and avoiding ANY type of scrutiny from the Feds. This is not like taking a label off of a mattress.

Nothing prevents people from sending a private message, or meeting each other at a retreat. But, at least we have reasonable deniability if anything unforeseen happens here and some do gooder sends a lawyer or investigator to look into us.

Shalom Everyone, I am Ani. I found this site in search of a tribe, having been labelled a cheater and divorced due to my realization that the family model adopted by Abraham, Jacob, David, and other Hebrew kings was never a sin. I grew up Christian, but I see a significant element of replacement theology in many churches, which also maintain traditions not recommended by Jesus himself. Many teach that the law was broken or abolished.

I believe in Jesus (Yeshua) and follow him, but I don't feel the mainstream church is on track, whereas the Messianic believers are. I'm looking forward to making friends and acquaintances, especially as I don't live in the USA. I hope to find like-minded individuals in locations outside the USA who are also searching for their tribe.

I have read that soliciting or searching for a wife or wives on this site is not allowed, so I will refrain from doing that.

Back