• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Half arguments over at GCM

PS, MD > They evidently took out my link pointers to BF; I didn't have a high enough post score yet to actually post a link!

(Hey, Nathan - remind me if anyone ever thinks that this site should have a "Pride Meter" in the margin with our Worldly Popularity Score under our Gold Star Rating why I think that's a REALLY Bad Idea!)

Mark,
you are right in that there are some watching from afar. We are indeed making progress.

Think for a moment about how much less friction is involved in an endeavor like this one
over at GCM than it would be say 15 years ago.

And another thing. There are people that are undecided. They are the ones that are just not sure about the whole monogamy-only doctrine. Those folks may not come to seeing the truth overnight. But they will not go over to the monogamy-only camp. To put it another way, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain, for the Lord, that is.

You are correct, MD, and I have had similar comfort myself. Even the most obvious apparently lost causes really do some good, since others not only see their defiance of the Word, and recognize the failed arguments, but every now and again reahashing the same tired ground help US to recognize a new Truth.

(That actually happened to me the other day in response to one of the most insanely inane, utterly trite comments I've seen in quite some time. It was literally SO bad that it merited a completely unusual handling... ;) and then God showed me a new "twist" that had been done to Paul.)

Blessings,

Mark

I'm done with that site. Attacking Abraham, and putting Sarah above him, for crying out loud! This generation is full of endless boasting over the holy ones who are supposed to be our examples. It's not about half-arguments. It's about hearts of stone, closed eyes and ears, and trying to set up the Ark of the Covenant... the Throne of YHWH... in the temple of their god, Dagon (tradition). Instead of filling with His Spirit, they are led astray by other spirits. They have chosen who they will serve. What do those who seek God with all they are have to do with them?

*wipes dust off feet*

If there is a remnant there, they are hiding very well.

I guess I see things quite different. I don't see people there as merely hard-hearted. I see people as confused. The reason I say this is that it took me a few years to finally embrace this truth. It wasn't done overnight! For some of you, it may have been different. However, for most, it will be a major paradigm shift.

After reading all the posts, I will share frankly, that I was somewhat embarrassed about how our side presented the truth. As one who fully believes this truth firmly, I would like to suggest a much different approach. "I" was having a hard time reading "our" posts, and if "I" was having a hard time reading them, I am certain they had an extra hard time reading them. I was saying "ouch" so many times I cannot even count.

My heart tells me that we made more enemies than friends and I am just not that certain if this is how we want to present ourselves.

I am speaking as an "elder brother" here, and share the passion, but if you would go through and reread what was written from "our" side with an objective eye, I do not think that some of the way things were written would have taken place. In Christ's Unending Love...

Pastor Randy,

I too seem to be experincing this same feeling and atmosphere in many of the topic's here lately. Are we not instructed to "not think of ourselves more highly than we ought to?" I'm guilty of this self righetous attitude myself at times, and need to remind myself to humble myself in the sight of the Lord and thoes whom I may have offened. They'll know we are Christians by our Love, Not by our Holier than thou Arguments. Another key point that we'd all be wise to remember is: in the midst of this life we will all have trials, that include running into a few so called enemies along the way. I believe we are also intstructed to pray for our enemies and bless thoes that curse us.

In the battelfields and trenchs of this life in fighting evil, our attitudes, approaches and our hearts motives and what we did with "The Truth," will be measured, examined and in the end be judged by the King of Kings. Is our main focus to be Pm only, or have we lost our first love - Yeshua? Hmmm, what's more important pm or SALVATION? Since this site is "BIBLICAL FAMILIES," is it wise or biblical for any man or woman to search out pm if they're not even willing to search out Yeshua as Savior for their lives? If people don't have Yeshua in their hearts, how can they have true biblical pm in their hearts let alone their lives?! I do think, if we're all honest with ourselves that there are people who are researching pm that are not Christians and just happen to stumble upon this site.

Are we encouraging these unsaved people in the way of Salvation, to then be able to get a true healthy Godly education on biblical pm? Or are we just confusing them with all of our circular arguments and anger towards thoes who are still trapped in half truths, and not fully in knowledge of the Full Truth which includes PM. As you have shared, it took yourself a few years to fully grasp and take hold of this new found biblical truth. And by sharing that, you made my point that I've been trying to share as well. The scales of deception and false doctrines will not just fall from people's eyes over night, as you also have shared. Again it's a learning journey for all. We shouldn't have anger in our hearts or be annoyed with our brothers and sisters in Christ who have been led to beleive these half truths for many generations. Isn't our Lord and Savior gentle and patient with all of us? Not saying that Yeshua condones sin in our lives, but none the less he does lovingly wait for us to respond to him with the free will that He's given us. These children of God, are still our brothers & sisters in Christ weather they've "seen the light of pm or not." ;) Again is pm our first love, or is Yeshua and His Salvation that He died on the cross for us all , our first love & main focus in life and here on this site? ;) Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean Not on Your Own understanding, but in All your ways Acknowledge Him/God and He will instruct, guide and straighten your path. Just as He'll guide and straighten the paths of our brothers & sisters in Christ who have yet to come into the light of biblical pm.

FOR HIS GLORY ALONE!
Faithful(Not perfect)Servant

I PRAY THAT I BE NOT A HINDRANCE! :)

FS,

There is no doubt we all have come across at various times as "holier than thou". Sometimes I think we think that we are big fish in a small pond, when in reality, we are small fish in a huge pond - with 6 billion other fish! The Word of God tells us that knowledge can puff up, whereas love builds up. This does not mean we should not gain knowlege, but it does mean that we have a priority system. Or put another way, "speak the truth IN LOVE". Sometimes I have been guilty of "speaking the truth", but being weak in the love category. My prayer for myself is that I learn to present whatever I understand to be true in a spirit of gentleness and love. We cannot ignore truth if we are growing believers, but we can express what we know in a way that brings such glory to God that the only criticism others can rail against us is "we disagree".

I am not a person that prays written prayers (except for the Psalms), but I found this prayer a few years ago. It was written by a Roman Catholic Cardinal sometime back, but it so expresses my own heart, I have adopted it:

O Jesus! Meek and humble of heart, hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, O Jesus.
From the desire of being loved,
From the desire of being extolled,
From the desire of being honored,
From the desire of being praised,
From the desire of being preferred to others,
From the desire of being consulted,
From the desire of being approved,
From the desire of being humiliated,
Deliver me, O Jesus
From the fear of being despised,
From the fear of suffering rebukes,
From the fear of being calumniated,
From the fear of being forgotten,
From the fear of being ridiculed,
From the fear of being wronged,
From the fear of being suspected,
That others may be loved more than I,
O Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I,
That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease,
That others may be chosen and I set aside,
That others may be praised and I unnoticed,
That others may be preferred to me in everything,
That others may become holier than I, provide that I may become as holy as I should,
O Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

Hey there Pastor Randy,

Funny on a side note, our church's Pastor is a Pastor Randy too! :) Just chiming in to say that I agree with ya a%100, & was just passing along my understanding and support of your first post yesterday on this very topic. Yes I too profess the importance of "Speaking the Truth in Love," as I'm guilty of not always doing so myself these days! But I do make an effort to do so, to confess, repent asking for forgiveness and moving onward & upward for that which lies ahead in Christ Jesus. Not an easy task, but it can be a practiced lesson to aspire to in our life time.

Sorry for being a pain in the butt when I get myself on my spiritual soap box at times! ;) My particular post yesterday was for myself to remember as well, not sharing those truths in a manner of taking others to task or condeming anyone. Thanks for the shared prayer, it's Awesome!

Take care all, and Keep on Keepin on with God, family & friends, seeking His will for our lives and learning to be a blessing to others along the way! :)

FOR HIS GLORY ALONE,
Faithful (Not perfect) Servant

Hey. Look who popped in out of 'nowhere'! :mrgreen:

I've contended with this "one wife" issue as opposed to the "only one wife" many times in my travels. For what it's worth, I haven't seen many point out the fact that an husband of two, four, or even fourteen wives is not also the husband of one wife. If I owned six cars I'd still be the owner of one car. What the mainstream traditionalists desire deep down, is for the scriptures to read "only one wife" and that's just not in the Holy Bible. I wrote about this in my book, Once Upon a Marriage: Beyond the Monogamy Myth ©. The plot thickens for those who dig deep enough to examine the translation of the word "mia" in the Greek. I was just examining it further, last night in my AKJV GREEK INTERLINEAR. This word, mia is a very obscure feminine genitive of the English "a" or "an", but in some cases it can mean "first" or "union" in others as there is no clear feminine genetive counterpart for the word protos which is the masculine numerical word for "first" or "one" in the Greek. Apparently, it was this "first union" translation that caused certain of the Latin Vulgate persuasion to interpret mias as meaning that a man could not be a bishop, elder, or deacon, unless he was still with the wife of his youth. Later on, through the centuries, it's obscure meaning came to be understood more as "only one", but that was really stretching it. Speaking of stretching things, some newer scholars have stretched the word "mias" to mean "only" by resorting to the use of the word "but" and adding it where there is no Greek, Aramaic, or Latin counterpart; but (in recognizing the New International Zondervanian per-version for what it is) they can't find anything else in scripture to substantiate their claim with, so they merely lean on circular logic. Be rest assured, our New Age religionists are working very hard at making the Bible say things it does not.

I have confidence in the Changeless One Who never changed His mind about what He called marriage one iota. The very fact that GOD literally recognized the reality of "two wives" as He calls it in His inspired (GOD BREATHED) Holy Word, should hold enough merit on its own. The diligent scholar will also notice that in all cases where the Word of GOD refers to QUOTE: "two wives", it never includes any reference to these women in context with any admonishing toward them whatsoever. No, not once, in any of the examples does our LORD say a single negative thing about it. Neither does He say anything negative about "wives" plural, or even "fourteen wives". Since the Word of GOD acknowledges this reality, no Christian can honestly declare that GOD "winked" at this when He had plenty of opportunity to chastise His people the whole time that He continually acknowledged these unions, blessing them, regulating them, and even directing them. I am of the persuasion that one should interpret the word "mias" in this knowledge and put away the new age nonsense.

Hope this helps

Edward

Pastor Randy,

The prayer you posted was beautiful and so very applicable to our lives. Thank you for posting it.

I understand the frustrations of those of you who are valiantly defending the truth of plural marriage, only to be met with ignorance and false piety. My son is an all-on-nothing kind of person, and he says the truth no matter what the consequences! I admire this character trait, but it has a tendency to get him in trouble. I think speaking the truth in love is a difficult but valuable addition to our conversations with those who refuse to hear the truth.

Please continue to stand up for righteousness, but also have compassion on those who haven't had their eyes opened to the truth...I was one of those people until just a few months ago. And as for those pompous know-it-alls who refuse to acknowledge the truth even when it is presented in love, HAVE AT 'EM!

Katie

deut30 said:
Pastor Randy,

The prayer you posted was beautiful and so very applicable to our lives. Thank you for posting it.

I understand the frustrations of those of you who are valiantly defending the truth of plural marriage, only to be met with ignorance and false piety. My son is an all-on-nothing kind of person, and he says the truth no matter what the consequences! I admire this character trait, but it has a tendency to get him in trouble. I think speaking the truth in love is a difficult but valuable addition to our conversations with those who refuse to hear the truth.

Please continue to stand up for righteousness, but also have compassion on those who haven't had their eyes opened to the truth...I was one of those people until just a few months ago. And as for those pompous know-it-alls who refuse to acknowledge the truth even when it is presented in love, HAVE AT 'EM!

Hi Katie,

It is one of my favorite prayers... it convicts me sorely every time I pray it.

Sometimes those of us who are bolder need to learn when to speak, and how to speak. There is a reason Scripture tells us to "speak the truth in love"! I think that sometimes we don't know if people are rejecting the truth because they are pompous, or because they truly are misguided. So, if we are going to error, I think it is better to error on the side of love - THEM GO GET THEM....just kidding!

Hi, Edward,

I've contended with this "one wife" issue as opposed to the "only one wife" many times in my travels. For what it's worth, I haven't seen many point out the fact that an husband of two, four, or even fourteen wives is not also the husband of one wife. If I owned six cars I'd still be the owner of one car

Yes, this is true enough.

What the mainstream traditionalists desire deep down, is for the scriptures to read "only one wife" and that's just not in the Holy Bible. I wrote about this in my book, Once Upon a Marriage: Beyond the Monogamy Myth ©. The plot thickens for those who dig deep enough to examine the translation of the word "mia" in the Greek. I was just examining it further, last night in my AKJV GREEK INTERLINEAR. This word, mia is a very obscure feminine genitive of the English "a" or "an", but in some cases it can mean "first" or "union" in others as there is no clear feminine genetive counterpart for the word protos which is the masculine numerical word for "first" or "one" in the Greek.

I am not certain where you get that “mia” was an OBSCURE feminine genitive? The feminine genitive of “mia” is used quite a bit in the New Testament (over 70x).
You probably didn’t really mean to say that “mia” was a feminine genitive of the English “a” or “an”, because English does not have a “feminine genitive”. I believe you were attempting to say that “mia” is the feminine genitive of the Greek word for “a” or “an”. However, even if this was what you were trying to say, it is not correct. “mia” is the feminine genitive of “eis” which normally means the numeral “one”. This is consistent throughout Greek literature such as Homer, the Septuagint, the book of Enoch, the Epistle of Aristeas, Philo of Alexandria, Josephus, and the Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs.
Furthermore, you stated that in some cases “mia” can mean “first”. This is true, but very rare in Greek literature. Where are you getting your information?
Furthermore, I am not certain what you mean by saying that “protos”, which is a Greek cardinal number for our English “first” does not have any clear feminine genitive counterparts. The singular feminine genitive for “prōtos” is “protēs” while the plural feminine genitive for “prōtos” is ““prōtōn”. As far as “prōtos” being used as a cardinal number, this is very rare as well.

I am not certain where you get that “mia” was an OBSCURE feminine genitive? The feminine genitive of “mia” is used quite a bit in the New Testament (over 70x).
You probably didn’t really mean to say that “mia” was a feminine genitive of the English “a” or “an”, because English does not have a “feminine genitive”. I believe you were attempting to say that “mia” is the feminine genitive of the Greek word for “a” or “an”. However, even if this was what you were trying to say, it is not correct. “mia” is the feminine genitive of “eis” which normally means the numeral “one”. This is consistent throughout Greek literature such as Homer, the Septuagint, the book of Enoch, the Epistle of Aristeas, Philo of Alexandria, Josephus, and the Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs.

You are correct. And you probably didn't mean to say that "mia" was the feminine genetive of "eis" because there's no such thing, "eis" being a primary preposition meaning "into", "unto", "to", "towards", "for", or "among". That makes us both human. I didn't read my words that way or understand them the way you imply that my words could have been understood by other readers. I meant precisely what you suggested, "that 'mia' is the feminine genitive of the Greek word for 'a' or 'an'." I submit that it is the translation that is "obscure". However I find that I must disagree that this statement is incorrect, but I would not go so far as to say that it is absolutely correct in every case and it is here, where our problem with interpretation from the Greek to the English begins. "Mia" is not nearly the numerical form of "one" in the Greek. In this respect I disagree with you. "Mia" is used of one but it is not the genuine article, anymore than the phraze "an apple" literally means "one apple". The word "an" is used of one, but does not literally mean "one". I realize that in this example the difference in comparison is somewhat vague and some would go so far as to say that I am "splitting hairs" as it were, but it makes a big difference when we apply this truth to scripture. For the sakes of our readers:

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of an wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

1 Timothy 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of an wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

Titus 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of an wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

BIG DIFFERENCE

The burden of proof is upon you to prove that "mia" literally means the number one and not just "a", "an", "some", or "someone" (but no one in specific). I say that the word is "obscure" in meaning because it has absolutely no direct counterpart in the English slanguage and can only be defined by a proxy of words, plural, in the English, most of which can be equally arbitrary if not ambiguous.

Furthermore, you stated that in some cases “mia” can mean “first”. This is true, but very rare in Greek literature. Where are you getting your information?

I'm getting much of my information from Thayer's and Strong's lexicons and concordances but I've sifted through a good many other reference materials, concerning this word, as well. Judging by your apparent knowledge of the Greek, I'm sure you can appreciate the ambiguity of the concoctions that have been cooked up by so many supposed authorities regarding the word "mia" and I suspect the reason for this is typical: none of them actually know (or knew) themselves and are too professionally proud to admit the fact. I don't believe the initial problem lies with all the reference materials that you mentioned here either, but rather that the problem is rooted in the interpretation of these texts into English. I suppose we will just have to respectfully disagree with one another. I'm doing a separate study on the word "heis", which appears to be a far more accurate term for the literal English numerical equivalent for "one". I am considering adding this information to my book. After reading a considerable abundance of these texts (not excluding all of those you mentioned) and the English interpretations of these works by so-called authorities, I am convinced that I can do no worse than they have. For example, "mia" never literally means "only one" and I defy anyone to prove it. "Mia" never literally means the "cardinal number" one either. I am well aware that the scholars consider "mia" to be the feminine genetive of "heis" but that doesn't mean they're right. They can call it what they wish. "Mia" does not mean "one" except in the most loosest, abstract, and general sense of the word, and never does it mean "only one". No, not once, not ever. Perhaps that is why Kittel defines it not as the "feminine genetive" of "heis", but the "irregular feminine genetive" of the word. (Emphasis mine) So much for regularity and consistency. I wonder how many Greeks he paid to endorse his finding. (Just jesting.)

Furthermore, I am not certain what you mean by saying that “protos”, which is a Greek cardinal number for our English “first” does not have any clear feminine genitive counterparts. The singular feminine genitive for “prōtos” is “protēs” while the plural feminine genitive for “prōtos” is ““prōtōn”. As far as “prōtos” being used as a cardinal number, this is very rare as well.

I am combing through this information with a relatively "fine-toothed" impliment so I am bound to come across these "rarities" from time-to-time. My mission is to prove that "mia" does not literally mean "one" or "only one" and I believe I am able to prove it. "Prōtos", "protēs", and "prōtōn" are not listed as feminine genitives by Thayers and Smith, Strongs, or Kittel. I suspect that your sources are secularist in nature. That said, since none of these authorities seem to consistently agree betwixt themselves anyway, so I submit that I can do no worse than they have and likely a good deal better. If that seems like hubris to you, so be it. The said authorities are certainly not without their fair share of hubris and I have little time for dealing with wiser fools than myself. Too much damage has already been done by toxic pastors and pretenders to truth. The time has come to call a spade a spade and a shovel and a shovel. To wit, I might add, the fertilizer has long since been spread and I believe our focus would be better spent on distributing the seed of the word as it is received directly from the source.

GOD bless you. :cool:

Very good stuff, guys, and more interesting than most of the "scholarly" work I've seen on the topic.

I'm still looking forward to reading the letter in the original Hebrew, however. ;)

(Even though I put in a smiley, I'm actually not kidding. I have come to conclude that the majority of such texts WERE written in Hebrew or Aramaic, whether or not the original texts survive.)

The bottom line for me, however, remains the knowledge that Paul was too good of a Torah scholar, and too honorable a servant, to have done something so heinous as to have "added to" the Word by putting in a commandment that He did not. He very much understood why His Master called the other Pharisees "hypocrites" - and knew better! The only proper interpretation (as II Peter 3:15-16 correctly observes) is one which does NOT have Paul rewriting Scripture.

Blessings,
Mark

Hello,

I feel obligated to post concerning this topic. Misinformation will only cause confusion. My response does not represent my full view on this topic, but I am not content to allow more confusion about this topic to be spread as if it is the truth. (for you personally Ed, if you have a place online somewhere where we can debate this issue, I am more than willing to debate this topic in extreme detail!) [NOTE: This doesn't necessarily mean I disagree with the conclusion - but what has been written does not prove the position. It actually weakens it.]

"Mia" is not nearly the numerical form of "one" in the Greek. In this respect I disagree with you. "Mia" is used of one but it is not the genuine article, anymore than the phraze "an apple" literally means "one apple". The word "an" is used of one, but does not literally mean "one". I realize that in this example the difference in comparison is somewhat vague and some would go so far as to say that I am "splitting hairs" as it were, but it makes a big difference when we apply this truth to scripture.

Please provide some sources proving that it is not “normative” to translate “mia” as “one”.

It should be clearly stated as possible that the Greek word for “one” is “heis”. “Heis”, “mia”, and “hen”, respectively, are the masculine, feminine, and neuter nominative forms of the exact same word. In fact, “henos”, “mias” and “henos” are the masculine, feminine, and neuter genitive forms of the exact same word. “Heni”, “mia”, and “heni” are the masculine, feminine, and neuter dative forms of the exact same word. Moreover, “hena”, “mian” and “hen” are the masculine, feminine, and neuter accusative forms of the exact same word. That word is “one”. What I have given is ALL the declensions for the word “heis”, or the English equivalent “one” (New Testament Greek for Beginners, by Machen, p. 164, section 371 and The Analytical Greek Lexicon, by Moulton, p. xi).

“Heis, mia, hen, gen. Henos, mias, henos numeral one” (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, ed. By Walter Baur, p. 230)

I don’t want to bring 50 quotes here to prove this contention. This post is long enough! However, this is actually pretty standard information that can be found in all the Greek grammars and dictionaries.

This doesn’t mean, on the other hand, that there are not nuances for each form of the word “heis”, but it does mean that positions taken to present the truth of polygyny must be clear, concise and very accurate! Too many “arm chair” scholars are presenting the case for polygyny inaccurately. This makes all of us look like fools, and is very embarrassing. I read one pro-polygyny article recently that actually said that “heis” and “mia” are two separate words. This is a total falsehood! They are the exact same word “declined”, or the exact same word written in another grammatical form.

The burden of proof is upon you to prove that "mia" literally means the number one and not just "a", "an", "some", or "someone" (but no one in specific).
I have provided some proof already above. You should know that by you merely stating that “mia” is “a”, “an”, “some” or “someone” does not make it so... and this isn’t to say that I disagree that this can take place. However, the way you are presenting it does not “prove it”.

I say that the word is "obscure" in meaning because it has absolutely no direct counterpart in the English language and can only be defined by a proxy of words, plural, in the English, most of which can be equally arbitrary if not ambiguous.

This is simply not true. There is a very normative translation for “heis” and all of its forms. It is not obscure at all! What you need to do is prove that there are legitimate options through source referencing, not by merely saying something is so.

I'm getting much of my information from Thayer's and Strong's lexicons and concordances but I've sifted through a good many other reference materials, concerning this word, as well. Judging by your apparent knowledge of the Greek, I'm sure you can appreciate the ambiguity of the concoctions that have been cooked up by so many supposed authorities regarding the word "mia" and I suspect the reason for this is typical: none of them actually know (or knew) themselves and are too professionally proud to admit the fact.

Look, I have taken more than a few years of Greek, and I am the first to admit that I am not a Greek scholar. However, to merely criticize other Greek scholars because they do not agree with your position does not automatically make your position the correct one. Every Greek scholar should rise and fall on the case he presents for any given word. Sometimes they will do a better job than other times, but having studies the languages and having translated the languages, I would say that it is quite a daunting task to be a perfect translator.

I don't believe the initial problem lies with all the reference materials that you mentioned here either, but rather that the problem is rooted in the interpretation of these texts into English. I suppose we will just have to respectfully disagree with one another. I'm doing a separate study on the word "heis", which appears to be a far more accurate term for the literal English numerical equivalent for "one".
“heis” and “mia” are the same word!

I am considering adding this information to my book. After reading a considerable abundance of these texts (not excluding all of those you mentioned) and the English interpretations of these works by so-called authorities, I am convinced that I can do no worse than they have. For example, "mia" never literally means "only one" and I defy anyone to prove it.

Actually, there are cases where it means “only one”. Instead of me typing the abundance of information on all the Greek literature that supports this, I suggest you go buy to source by Bauer I used above, and look on page 231

"Mia" never literally means the "cardinal number" one either. I am well aware that the scholars consider "mia" to be the feminine genetive of "heis" but that doesn't mean they're right. They can call it what they wish. "Mia" does not mean "one" except in the most loosest, abstract, and general sense of the word, and never does it mean "only one". No, not once, not ever. Perhaps that is why Kittel defines it not as the "feminine genetive" of "heis", but the "irregular feminine genetive" of the word. (Emphasis mine) So much for regularity and consistency. I wonder how many Greeks he paid to endorse his finding. (Just jesting.)

You are joking, right. I just read the entire section of Kittel’s Theological Dictionary of the New Testament on “heis”, there is no such quote. Even if there were, Kittel is merely speaking in terms of grammar, not in terms of “wrong”. The fact of the matter is “the feminine genitive” form is the same thing as the “irregular feminine genitive” form. It is merely a matter of normative regular declensions verses irregular declensions. My goodness, this is basic Greek grammar, Ed!

I am combing through this information with a relatively "fine-toothed" impliment so I am bound to come across these "rarities" from time-to-time. My mission is to prove that "mia" does not literally mean "one" or "only one" and I believe I am able to prove it.

This actually makes me very sad. You see, the motive of true scholarship is not to prove one’s position, but rather, to come to understand the author’s intent when originally writing the text.

"Prōtos", "protēs", and "prōtōn" are not listed as feminine genitives by Thayers and Smith, Strongs, or Kittel. I suspect that your sources are secularist in nature. That said, since none of these authorities seem to consistently agree betwixt themselves anyway, so I submit that I can do no worse than they have and likely a good deal better. If that seems like hubris to you, so be it. The said authorities are certainly not without their fair share of hubris and I have little time for dealing with wiser fools than myself. Too much damage has already been done by toxic pastors and pretenders to truth. The time has come to call a spade a spade and a shovel and a shovel. To wit, I might add, the fertilizer has long since been spread and I believe our focus would be better spent on distributing the seed of the word as it is received directly from the source.

Actually, I really do not see any of them disagreeing. Some may be more detailed than others, but that is different than merely disagreeing. I would suggest that you do much more homework before you write a book.

Hey all,

I certainly don't want to derail this discussion, but after stumbling onto this post, I thought I'd point out something I've noticed that many Believers tend not to emphasize regarding these three "mia" wife verses. All three passages that require the Bishops, Deacons or Elders to be the husband of "mia" wife, ALSO require that the Bishops, Deacons or Elders have children! Reading the entire passages in context can, I believe, shed a lot of light on the what Paul was really trying to communicate.

"Trustworthy is the word: If a man longs for the position of an overseer, he desires a good work. An overseer, then, should be blameless, the husband of one [3391] wife, sober, sensible, orderly, kind to strangers, able to teach, not given to wine, no brawler, but gentle, not quarrelsome, no lover of money, one who rules his own house well, having his children in subjection with all reverence, for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how shall he look after the assembly of Elohim?" (1 Timothy 3:1-5, The Scriptures)

"Let attendants be the husbands of one [3391] wife, ruling children and their own houses well." (1 Timothy 3:12, The Scriptures)

"If anyone is unreprovable, the husband of one [3391] wife, having believing children not accused of loose behaviour, or unruly." (Titus 1:6, The Scriptures)

I only point this out because regardless what we believe "mia" might mean in these passages, it is clear that having children was as much a prerequisite as being the husband of "mia" wife. In my opinion, the entire context in each of these passages is in the sense of demonstrating experience in how to rule or govern. To be a Bishop, Deacon or Elder, one must have a wife (though not specifically ONE) and children (though not specifically SEVERAL).

Just some food for thought....peace!

In His love,
David

This actually makes me very sad. You see, the motive of true scholarship is not to prove one’s position, but rather, to come to understand the author’s intent when originally writing the text.
... And yet you challenge me to a debate.
I think this is more a case of the proverbial pot calling the Kittle "black". :lol:

Really, this is laughable. If you suggest that my competence as an author is unworthy, I may as well bear with you long enough to declare that judging by your latest post on this thread we are on equal footing. Read over your words, friend. They utterly wreak of hypocrisy. Debating the matter with you would only be a waste of time and energy as you have made it abundantly clear that you have already made up your mind and have embraced the predjudice of personal bigotry. You have convinced me that you are not interested in anything I have to say on this topic, and could care less for learning anything new. Just the mere statement that "heis" and "mia" are the "same word" bewrays your voluntary ignorance. I would be wasting my time debating with you. Frankly, I have better things to do with it... Such as getting this book written. I did not post here to be subjugated to your pontification or your criticisms of my character. I merely posted to share a revelation that obviously upset the applecart of your ideology enough to challenge your personal presumptions. I am done here for now. Perhaps I'll drop by again when I'm in the mood for a debate, but I rather doubt it. I don't debate with self-appointed know-it-alls.

Edward the Elder said:

... And yet you challenge me to a debate.

I think this is more a case of the proverbial pot calling the Kittle "black". :lol:

Really, this is laughable. If you suggest that my competence as an author is unworthy, I may as well bear with you long enough to declare that judging by your latest post on this thread we are on equal footing. Read over your words, friend. They utterly wreak of hypocrisy. Debating the matter with you would only be a waste of time and energy as you have made it abundantly clear that you have already made up your mind and have embraced the predjudice of personal bigotry. You have convinced me that you are not interested in anything I have to say on this topic, and could care less for learning anything new. Just the mere statement that "heis" and "mia" are the "same word" bewrays your voluntary ignorance. I would be wasting my time debating with you. Frankly, I have better things to do with it... Such as getting this book written. I did not post here to be subjugated to your pontification or your criticisms of my character. I merely posted to share a revelation that obviously upset the applecart of your ideology enough to challenge your personal presumptions. I am done here for now. Perhaps I'll drop by again when I'm in the mood for a debate, but I rather doubt it. I don't debate with self-appointed know-it-alls.

Hello Ed,

I understand your feelings Ed. However, I have not presented my position here. I have merely shared what is already known through basic Greek grammar and dictionaries. The challenge to debate is not to prove my position on this topic, for I still have many questions unanswered on this topic myself. It is to push the topic to source material in order to have all information solidly founded. As far as being interested in what you have to say, I am very interested. All of us have something to bring to the table. And I understand that you think I am in error when I say that one of the declension forms of "heis" is "mia", which makes it the same word in different grammatical form. So I suggest you call any University in the world that teaches Greek and ask them. In fact, there is a Biblical Greek (B-Greek) discussion list that is ran by Greek professors from various educational institutes. There are many other Greek scholars that post there as well, including one of my old professors. I used to be a member of this list. Here it is: http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/faq.html Before you write a book that tells the world that "heis" and "mia" are two entirely different words, I suggest you do your homework, lest you embarass yourself. This is not an attack. This is one brother sharing with another something that will save him from looking foolish to Greek scholars, hence, weakening your position. I am not attacking your character, my friend. I am attacking your approach. As far as upsetting the applecart with any new challenge, I don't fear that. I actually enjoy it. However, what is presented should be strongly supported with objective facts. Ed, if you took this as a personal attack, or if I said things that made you feel that way, I really do apologize. That is certainly not my intent. Anyway Ed, may God richly bless your studies. In Christ's Love, Randy

Ok my turn, guess I'll get'em with the truth too!

Back