• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hanukkah / Chanukah and Christmas

I am curious if BF members observe or celebrate Hanukkah in some manner and if so does your family celebrate Christmas in some manner also, especially if you have children in the home.

We do both in our family. I am not a big Christmas fan while my husband grew up with family traditions surrounding Christmas.
Some years the kids will get presents during Hanukkah only by us and Christmas gifts from extended family, then on other years there are only presents during Christmas. Regardless of how we handle each holiday we always try to emphasize Christ in the holiday.

T-C's Rebeka said:
I am curious if BF members observe or celebrate Hanukkah in some manner and if so does your family celebrate Christmas in some manner also, especially if you have children in the home.

We do both in our family. I am not a big Christmas fan while my husband grew up with family traditions surrounding Christmas.
Some years the kids will get presents during Hanukkah only by us and Christmas gifts from extended family, then on other years there are only presents during Christmas. Regardless of how we handle each holiday we always try to emphasize Christ in the holiday.

I recommend you watch the unwrapping of Christmas on Pagan invasion by Jeremiah films. I tried to order it long ago (but it was sold out or my credit card would not work or something,) it got pulled off the air from VCY as far as I know, even though they play the other episodes of Pagan invasion...... I think VCY caved into the idol worshipers who professed to be Christians.

That being said, I grew up in a household where I heard about the black mass long ago before watching Pagan invasion T.V. series, one advantage of having anti-christs in your family is it gives you a head start in trying to avoid antichrist holidays.

1 Hear what the LORD says to you, people of Israel. 2 This is what the LORD says:

“Do not learn the ways of the nations
or be terrified by signs in the heavens,
though the nations are terrified by them.
3 For the practices of the peoples are worthless;
they cut a tree out of the forest,
and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.
4 They adorn it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with hammer and nails
so it will not totter.
5 Like a scarecrow in a cucumber field,
their idols cannot speak;
they must be carried
because they cannot walk.
Do not fear them;
they can do no harm
nor can they do any good.”

Jeremiah 10:1-6 NIV

People used to wrap silver and gold "tinsel" around trees and nail them in place in the house. These were not necessarily the same as "Christmas trees," but the idea of tree idols is an age old tradition spanning generations and cultures, so I do not think it is a good idea to do something similar even if you do not directly bow down and worship it officially.

Saint Nicholas was a real person who died. It is forbidden to talk to the dead, but they pretend like this guy who died long ago puts presents under people's Christmas trees and has godlike properties.

The black mass mistaken as Christmas is full of pagan references

Now if you remove all the pagan stuff and just spend extra time thinking about how Jesus was born of a virgin it is ok. But if you keep the Pagan stuff it is bad.

Now about Chanukah

22 Then came the Festival of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, 23 and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon’s Colonnade. 24 The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

John 10:22-24 That is, Hanukkah

John 10:22-24 NIV
People try to justify Hannukkah based on John 10:22, but it did not say if Hannukah should be celebrated merely that that is the time

4And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.
Acts 12:4 King James
Here easter is mentioned but that does not mean it should be celebrated, they are simply using it to mark the time of other events in relation to a Pagan holiday

If you want to know about Hannukah read first Maccabees it is not in protestant Bibles. I very much like the reading, but I do not claim that it is inspired by God.

It is very ironic because every time around Hannukah secular Christians celebrate the Black Mass and blaspheme the name of Jesus Christ by calling it Christmas at the very time when the cleansing of the temple from paganism is celebrated as Hanukkah.

By the way if the religious Jews just suppressed the secular Jews their would have been a lot less blood shed, because the secular Jews incited Pagans to murder the religious Jews.

Daniel 11 in the Amplified Bible appears to go together with the history of Maccabees.

Footnotes:

C Daniel 11:21 This contemptible conqueror is generally identified as Antiochus Epiphanes, the younger son of Antiochus the Great, king of Syria, and is a type of the final antichrist referred to in Dan. 11:36; II Thess. 2:3-12; I John 4:3; II John 7; and Rev. 13:5-8. "He [Antiochus Epiphanes] stirred up the Jews by robbing the temple and setting up a statue of Jupiter in the Holy of Holies. He also pulled down the walls of Jerusalem, commanded the sacrifice of [forbidden] swine, forbade circumcision, and destroyed all the sacred books that could be found" (John D. Davis, A Dictionary of the Bible).
D Daniel 11:36 The antichrist is in view from this point in the prophecy to the end of the chapter. The details listed here do not fit what is known of Antiochus Epiphanes. See II Thess. 2:4; Rev. 13:5-8.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=AMP

We only celebrate Hanukkah. Why would I bother with Christmas? A fake day (Dec 25 was not the birth date contra. Hoener) that Jesus nor the disciples cared about.

The importance in Judaism is placed on the death day of a person. There is no recording of celebrating his birthday. In that way you can remember his/her life as they lived it. Birthdays appear to have developed out of Egypt. How many times are we warned not to emulate the Egyptians?

Besides WWJD? We KNOW that Jesus celebrated Hanukkah. We also know from the above sentence that his birthday was not celebrated. Therefore WWJD? Celebrate Hanukkah. What should I do?

DiscussingTheTopic said:
I recommend you watch the unwrapping of Christmas on Pagan invasion by Jeremiah films.

Never heard of it. Of course I don't have access to TV so I am out of touch with most media.

T-C's Rebeka said:
Never heard of it. Of course I don't have access to TV so I am out of touch with most media.

So what's this TV thing y'all keep talking about? :lol:

macike said:
T-C's Rebeka said:

So what's this TV thing y'all keep talking about? :lol:
:lol: ROFLMAO
When my brother was a toddler and the doctor told our mother that he really needed a TB screening, my brother told the doctor "I don't watch TB at home and I promise I won't watch anymore TB at my friend's house, so you don't have to give me a shot. I promise."

For the moment I/we only do christmas, although I realize that history behind it and also the falsehood. The only thing is that I don't really know how to take a stand against it without upsetting/offending practically my entire family. They thought I was odd when I started keeping Shabbat instead of Sunday, but christmas is something entirely different. In fact, I would love to start keeping all the Holy Days like Hanukkah, Passover, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, etc instead of things like christmas/easter. Only at the moment I'm very new to those things and have no one in person to kind of mentor me. In fact the last Messianic assembly I went to the Rabbi asked me not to come back due to my belief in plural marriage. And on Yom Kippur of all days. Well, anyways, starting to rant now.

T-C's Rebeka said:

I intentionally do not have television. And I feel so much better without it. And smarter too.

The Duke Of Marshall said:
For the moment I/we only do christmas, although I realize that history behind it and also the falsehood. The only thing is that I don't really know how to take a stand against it without upsetting/offending practically my entire family. They thought I was odd when I started keeping Shabbat instead of Sunday, but christmas is something entirely different. In fact, I would love to start keeping all the Holy Days like Hanukkah, Passover, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, etc instead of things like christmas/easter. Only at the moment I'm very new to those things and have no one in person to kind of mentor me. In fact the last Messianic assembly I went to the Rabbi asked me not to come back due to my belief in plural marriage. And on Yom Kippur of all days. Well, anyways, starting to rant now..

We did not celebrate christmas in our personal home until we moved away from my husband's family. We had visited his family on christmas day when we lived close by, but now that we are far apart my husband misses all the tradition that goes with it; food, stories, did I mention food? :lol:
I grew up Lutheran but didn't celebrate the commercial christmas stuff, it was considered a waste of money. I was always shocked as a kid with all the stuff that other kids in the neighborhood got for a reason I didn't understand.
We observe Hanukkah because we find that it is a holiday that is easier to focus on Gd compared to christmas where it is surrounded with non-religious tradition.

The Duke Of Marshall said:
I intentionally do not have television. And I feel so much better without it. And smarter too.
Same here.... :ugeek:

If I get around to it I can find and post some Zola Levitt free internet videos on Hanukkah if they still exist on the internet.

I would suggest reading first Maccabees around December for Hanukkah, instead of all that fancy stuff, but that is just my preference.

macike said:
We only celebrate Hanukkah. Why would I bother with Christmas? A fake day (Dec 25 was not the birth date contra. Hoener) that Jesus nor the disciples cared about.

The importance in Judaism is placed on the death day of a person. There is no recording of celebrating his birthday. In that way you can remember his/her life as they lived it. Birthdays appear to have developed out of Egypt. How many times are we warned not to emulate the Egyptians?

Besides WWJD? We KNOW that Jesus celebrated Hanukkah. We also know from the above sentence that his birthday was not celebrated. Therefore WWJD? Celebrate Hanukkah. What should I do?

Does it actually say that Jesus celebrated Hanukkah or simply mention the time of Hanukkah, I have to read the text more carefully?

I could easily write one page impromptu on the importance of Jesus coming in the flesh. But I will not.

Anyway it is important to think of the theological applications of his birth, and if someone wants to spend a whole day doing that at the time of year he was probably not born I am OK with that. Just don't add a bunch of lies and traditions from man that are not from God.

I have always celebrated Christmas; although, I celebrate it a bit differently as an adult than I did as a child. I don't do Santa Claus or some of the other secular things...but we do exchange gifts and have a very traditional Christmas dinner. I always have to chuckle when someone feels the need to point out that Jesus wasn't really born on Dec. 25th. I don't care what day He was born on. I'm not celebrating "the day", I'm celebrating the fact that God loved us so much that He would send His Son down to us at all. Of course we don't necessarily need an official "day" to celebrate this but I think it's kind of nice that we do have it. :)
Blessings,
Fairlight

I think we should celebrate Christ's birthday on Thanksgiving and let the marketing/advertising departments have "xmas". Thanksgiving is the only commercial holiday that I enjoy, because we have a great dinner with thanksgiving to the Lord with no presents only "presence" of friends and family. All the gift giving that sets everyone in debt goes against our Father's word and the focus is taken off Him. I've been trying to get my extended family to buy into this theory, but I don't think it will ever happen. :( :(

I also don't have TV. At first it was a financial necessity but I discovered how much fuller and more satisfying life is without that thing sucking my brains out. I have accomplished more in the past year without TV than I ever could have with it. And I am happier because I don't have a constant invasion of scripted emotions coming at me. I get to solve my own problems and feel my own feelings. If I need entertainment, I rent a movie or something. I have a physical Television set but no connection.

SweetLissa

lutherangirl said:
let the marketing/advertising departments have "xmas".

I'm not sure how many people are aware of the true meaning of the term "xmas". Many secular people use the term because they think that the "X" means that the name of "Christ" has been removed from the word. Actually the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ". The term "Xmas" was in common use among Christians for quite awhile and it it still being used by Christians in some parts of the world. Some Christians don't like the term because they, too, don't understand it's real meaning. "X" was/is just another way to write "Christ". Sometimes it is also written "Xp" or "Xt", as well. I was an Art History major in College and that's where I learned this :)

lutherangirl said:
All the gift giving that sets everyone in debt goes against our Father's word and the focus is taken off Him.

You're right ! There isn't anything good about going into debt....which is why I don't spend a lot. I also have started making gifts for close friends and family, which simplifies everything quite a lot.
Blessings,
Fairlight

DiscussingTheTopic said:
Just don't add a bunch of lies and traditions from man that are not from God.

I sort of agree with you. When I was teaching Bible at a Christian high school, I got into a discussion with another teacher about Christmas. She got into the lights . . . pointing of the tree . . . and all the other rubbish of Xmas. I pointed out all the pagan traditions and how Christmas came to be. I brought her to tears and I felt bad. She then said at the end when I was trying to drop the whole thing; the disciples celebrated Christmas. I wanted to cry for her, but she was already crying because I brought cold reality. Most likely not one of my better moments in life.

DiscussingTheTopic said:
Does it actually say that Jesus celebrated Hanukkah or simply mention the time of Hanukkah, I have to read the text more carefully?

John 10:22 Then came the Feast of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter,
John 10:23 and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon’s Colonnade.

I guess you could make the argument that Jesus did not celebrate it. However . . . why would Jesus be at the Temple at Hanukkah? It also does not specify that he did Sukkoth or Shavuot.

However, as John mentions not everything Jesus did was mentioned or written about.

John 21:25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

The Gospels are not a step by step event of Jesus life, look at the longest sermon we have. It said Jesus would teach for hours on end. The longest we have take what . . . 5 or 10 minutes to read (slowly).

Fairlight said:
lutherangirl said:
let the marketing/advertising departments have "xmas".

I'm not sure how many people are aware of the true meaning of the term "xmas". Many secular people use the term because they think that the "X" means that the name of "Christ" has been removed from the word. Actually the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ". The term "Xmas" was in common use among Christians for quite awhile and it it still being used by Christians in some parts of the world. Some Christians don't like the term because they, too, don't understand it's real meaning. "X" was/is just another way to write "Christ". Sometimes it is also written "Xp" or "Xt", as well. I was an Art History major in College and that's where I learned this :)

Fairlight

Fairlight,
Thanks for sharing this information. I should have known that, because we use the symbol IXOYE in our own church. I didn't put two and two together about it being used in "Xmas", because I worked with a woman that ranted and raved every time she saw people using "Xmas" instead of "Christmas". I went along with what she was saying that people were trying to take "Christ" out of "Christmas" without even thinking about the "X" meaning Christ. Boy, I'm I not that smart. :lol:

macike said:
DiscussingTheTopic said:

John 10:22 Then came the Feast of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter,
John 10:23 and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon’s Colonnade.

I guess you could make the argument that Jesus did not celebrate it. However . . . why would Jesus be at the Temple at Hanukkah? It also does not specify that he did Sukkoth or Shavuot.

However, as John mentions not everything Jesus did was mentioned or written about.

John 21:25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

The Gospels are not a step by step event of Jesus life, look at the longest sermon we have. It said Jesus would teach for hours on end. The longest we have take what . . . 5 or 10 minutes to read (slowly).

At the time of Christ, Hanukkah was not what it is today. It was a remembrance of what Gd provided, much like in the USA "memorial day" is now more of a day of BBQ and beer than what it was originally to spend time remembering those that have died.
Hanukkah is a 'feast' but it is not one that has a command to follow.

T-C's Rebeka said:
At the time of Christ, Hanukkah was not what it is today. It was a remembrance of what Gd provided, much like in the USA "memorial day" is now more of a day of BBQ and beer than what it was originally to spend time remembering those that have died.
Hanukkah is a 'feast' but it is not one that has a command to follow.

No.

It was NOT a memorial of those who died, if you think so please provide primary sources. To bring the equal holiday would be 4th of July, it was an independence type day of freedom of religion from tyranny.

Is it like today? Of course not. The gift giving is an American reaction to Christmas. Not to mention the descriptions are that the Temple was light up and could be seen for miles. Israel was the light of the world in an otherwise darkened world.

Read Edershiem, life and times of Jesus the Messiah. (If I remember he dealt with it)
Read Josephesus
Read Talmud.

The simple question comes back to WWJD?

Back