• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hanukkah / Chanukah and Christmas

Actually it was a celebration of the Maccabees winning a battle against the Hellenics who were trying to intergrate the Hebrews into their culture.

The whole Temple and oil miracle thing came later.

Isabella said:
Actually it was a celebration of the Maccabees winning a battle against the Hellenics who were trying to intergrate the Hebrews into their culture.

Yes, that is very clear if you read Maccabees but most "Jews" do not talk about that because they are like the "Hellenics" and the victory was against false Jews (from a religious not a genetic perspective) like them.

DiscussingTheTopic said:
Isabella said:

Yes, that is very clear if you read Maccabees but most "Jews" do not talk about that because they are like the "Hellenics" and the victory was against false Jews (from a religious not a genetic perspective) like them.

:shock:

Okaaaayyyyyy..........

I understand the biblical reasons for doing this and doing that, but I thought Christmas was all about giving? That is what I was taught by my parental growing up.. so what the 25th might not be the exact day Christ was born, do you always celebrate your birthday on the exact day? God gave man kind a gift ( Jesus Christ) why wouldn't we celebrate this wonderful occasion? Also I have to add the part about a Christmas tree... My mother found a story, fiction of course but after you read this story you will have a whole different Outlook on having and decorating a Christmas tree...

macike said:
T-C's Rebeka said:
At the time of Christ, Hanukkah was not what it is today. It was a remembrance of what Gd provided, much like in the USA "memorial day" is now more of a day of BBQ and beer than what it was originally to spend time remembering those that have died.
Hanukkah is a 'feast' but it is not one that has a command to follow.

No.

It was NOT a memorial of those who died, if you think so please provide primary sources. To bring the equal holiday would be 4th of July, it was an independence type day of freedom of religion from tyranny.

I didn't mean to say Hanukkah and memorial day are similar in purpose, but that they are similar in that the way they are observed and celebrated has changed from the original intent of their day.

T-C's Rebeka said:
macike said:
T-C's Rebeka said:
At the time of Christ, Hanukkah was not what it is today. It was a remembrance of what Gd provided, much like in the USA "memorial day" is now more of a day of BBQ and beer than what it was originally to spend time remembering those that have died.
Hanukkah is a 'feast' but it is not one that has a command to follow.

No.

It was NOT a memorial of those who died, if you think so please provide primary sources. To bring the equal holiday would be 4th of July, it was an independence type day of freedom of religion from tyranny.

I didn't mean to say Hanukkah and memorial day are similar in purpose, but that they are similar in that the way they are observed and celebrated has changed from the original intent of their day.

Did people pray for the dead in 2 Maccabees (which I do not acknowledge as special scripture but merely a historical document?)

Back