• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hello from the Southest

I wonder how the early church managed without the benefit of, er schools.
I wonder how people who wanted to be paid for preaching with benefits for all their family members were able to survive back then, too. Maybe they had to rely on their day jobs -- like fishing, perhaps?

I wonder how people who wanted to be paid for preaching with benefits for all their family members were able to survive back then, too. Maybe they had to rely on their day jobs -- like fishing, perhaps?

...or tent-making. But the churches support those whom they sent.

I wonder how the early church managed without the benefit of, er schools.
Judaism had schools. They kinda got the idea from the Greeks. It the early church, it sorta transformed itself into discipleship.

Judaism had schools. They kinda got the idea from the Greeks. It the early church, it sorta transformed itself into discipleship.
Yeah, and from Constantine on, the ruling class Christian bureaucracies kinda sorta twisted the Judaic notions of tithing to justify expecting Christians to devote 10% of their income/assets to paying for building upkeep and staff salaries.

And I am now spanking myself for officially derailing this thread.

Oh . . . ouch . . . yikes!

Yeah, and from Constantine on, the ruling class Christian bureaucracies kinda sorta twisted the Judaic notions of tithing to justify expecting Christians to devote 10% of their income/assets to paying for building upkeep and staff salaries.
It might be nice to be able to do that, if we didn't have to also pay Ceasar, er ummm Uncle Sam.

It might be nice to be able to do that, if we didn't have to also pay Ceasar, er ummm Uncle Sam.
Or we could just go back to saving up 10% of our assets for liquidating for the purpose of having gatherings and festivals!

Isn't that what the early church was?

Indeed. It had nothing to do with going to buildings or paying intellectuals to run programs in them.

Thread derail.

This is an introduction of a new member:)

Thanks

A new member who happens to be a seminary student, which I think is AWESOME!!!!

Back