• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hi from New Zealand

It's all good, I personally will keep the sabbath, of course I usually fall short eg by buying something on that day. I don't think it's necessarily required for salvation in Christ but should result in some additional reward.
The key thing is that if Jesus is our Lord, which means master, we are to do what he says - or, if in doubt, do what to the best of our understanding we think he would want us to do. Not for reward, just because we are trying to serve Him, and we know that his ways are the best plans possible for our lives.

So when it comes to Sabbath, we should observe it to the best of our present understanding. If our present understanding is that it is Sunday, we should observe it on Sunday. If our present understanding is Saturday, we should do that. And so forth.

Obviously we should try to get it right. But what God cares about most is the sincerity of our devotion to Him. Not our theological perfection. And that's a really good thing given our theological understanding tends to change over our lifetime, and we'll find that what we believe is right today is often different to what we believed 20 years ago!

The key thing is that if Jesus is our Lord, which means master, we are to do what he says - or, if in doubt, do what to the best of our understanding we think he would want us to do. Not for reward, just because we are trying to serve Him, and we know that his ways are the best plans possible for our lives.

So when it comes to Sabbath, we should observe it to the best of our present understanding. If our present understanding is that it is Sunday, we should observe it on Sunday. If our present understanding is Saturday, we should do that. And so forth.

Obviously we should try to get it right. But what God cares about most is the sincerity of our devotion to Him. Not our theological perfection. And that's a really good thing given our theological understanding tends to change over our lifetime, and we'll find that what we believe is right today is often different to what we believed 20 years ago!
Yeah, 20 years ago I probably wouldn't have fellowship with myself now.

I would have probably thought myself insane just 4 years ago. Probably because I spend a lot of my time these days debating people I agreed with 4 years ago... Turning to Torah is that extreme of a change that it brings a sword that cleaves one from another. I have little to no fellowship with anyone from my old ways. So yeah, like OP Julian, I get the confusion about why people say WWJD (What Would Yeshua Do?) and then do anything else besides.

I have little to no fellowship with anyone from my old ways.
It doesn't have to be that way. I'm not criticising @DawoodSaar, I don't know his situation. I am pointing out for other readers who might find that prospect depressing that this is not inevitable - it is entirely possible to grow and change in our views and still maintain at least a good portion of our friendships (those that do not of their own decision choose to reject us). We have moved from conventional Christian thought, through careful Torah-keeping, back to a middle-ground of sorts, while simultaneously accepting polygamy, and through this have either preserved or only lost briefly and restored the majority of our local and family Christian friendships, and continue to fellowship locally with mainstream Christians. Even the church we were kicked out of once we are now actively involved in children's ministry with, and I'm back to teaching scripture in the same building as regularly as I used to - just on an evening to children instead of a Sunday morning to the adults! This is not everyone's experience - but it is possible. You don't know where God will take you.

As a very overused and abused but nevertheless true Maori proverb says:
He aha te mea nui o te ao
He tangata, he tangata, he tangata

What is the most important thing in the world?
It is the people, it is the people, it is the people

My experience is certainly not prescriptive of the norm. Ideally we would all be living with communities

I live in the heart of the Southern Baptist "Bible belt," so not going to church on Helios day severely limits my social contacts. Keeping Sabbath separates me, since I'm currently at the point that I won't even let people pay my way on Thursday, for someone else to do work for me on Sabbath, because I don't even want to incentivise others to work Sabbath... No going out to the bars or to the movies or whatever else people do on Friday nights and Saturdays. So it ends up being that I only usually socialize Mon-Friday... When everyone is at work.

A set-apart people will inevitably have difficulty keeping relations with those he is set apart from. Count the cost before you start.

I really don't want to turn @Kiwi_Lion's thread into a debate, that's not what I'm doing. But as he's on this journey this discussion might be informative to him, so I'm going down the tangent politely...
I live in the heart of the Southern Baptist "Bible belt," so not going to church on Helios day severely limits my social contacts.
Why would you not visit a church on Sunday morning? Where in scripture are we told to only meet with Christians on the Sabbath? Would you visit them on Monday? If so, how is Sunday any different?

We can over-enthusiastically create a new tradition that separates us from other local believers. Or we can follow what we believe God is telling us to do, while still meeting others where they are at. Visiting the tax-collectors house for a meal, for instance. What would Jesus do?

Every day is a good day to worship. Hope everyone's having a good Ash Wednesday. Felt 2 Earthquakes this morning but only the second one was was registered by Geonet.

For not wanting to start a debate, calling adherence to Sabbath (Duet5:12-15) and refusal to worship as the pagans do (Duet12:29-32) "over-enthusiastically held manmade traditions." Them's some fighting words against the particular individual who made up those Commands and told them to Moses.

The irony of using that as a means of defending the over-enthusiastically held manmade tradition of Sunday "Sabbath" which is nowhere commanded in scripture? A tradition that didn't start till a hundred years after the apostles died, and only in those public groups which weren't persecuted because of their willingness to acquiesce to the cultural demands; while the Sabbath keepers were hunted down in the catacombs and in caves by the Roman pagans? Mmm. I love me some juicy irony!

WWJD? I would say He would keep the Sabbath holy. Apparently you would say he would go into pagan temples and worship his god the way they worship their gods. He would subject himself under the authority of his bride; the church is the real Lord of the Sabbath. So Jesus would even go against the commands of his Father in order to cowtow to his 'church' and her rebellion. What a beta male! Sure... I'm convinced. Ah now I see it. It's in the addendum to Revelation, the book of Oops, I Forgot 4:20 "By the way, Sabbath is now on the Roman day of the Sun!"😎 Or rather it is in Constantine's command given at the council of Nicea that the Christians now worship "on the venerable day of the Sun!" You know, the day the pagans worshipped Sol Invictus? The Sun god? Because syncretistic mixing of the profane and holy is just fine with Jesus! Oh and rampant anti-semitism! Because the "early church fathers" all wrote against keeping Sabbath because the 'Christ-killers" keep Sabbath. Nevermind that Christ was a Sabbath-keeping Jew.

There's a big difference between going to a repentant Jewish man's house, and going to a pagan temple actively worshipping a false image, even a false image of the "right" deity. I have no problem meeting folks on Sunday, but I do have severe problems with even giving the slightest credence to pagan forms of worship. I threw out Starbucks mugs because they have images of a godess on them. Yet, I was invited to a chili cookoff recently and went with a kosher chili. Played games, and hung out with people. On a Sunday! But that was not a religious event.

The church service is a religious practice, and it is operated in clear active rebellion against the Lord's Sabbath, even if the majority of folk are unaware that they are practicing in open rebellion against the Lord.

Since the culture here is so drenched in Southern Baptist dogma and tradition, for me to deviate effectively leaves me separated, sanctified if you will. So, I generally choose to hang out in a public place, where conversing with strangers is actually a norm. Coffee shops. I go to coffee shop to meet people where they are. I teach the patrons scripture. And since the owner wished his cafe to be a ministry, I actually am accomplishing his desire as well. In so doing I've only recently begun to start meeting like-minded men. One here, one there. We are scattered and few. But, I have hope that those who hold the testimony of Yeshua, AND keep the Law of YHWH (Rev12:7) will be preserved in the end of all things. We may seem "anti-social" but it is because we are a peculiar, set apart, people.

@FollowingHim. You asked me to explain my position. I have done so. If your desire is to debate elsewhere, feel free to resurrect an old thread and I can meet you there. Or you can just honestly say you disagree, and we can leave it there. I've been browsing enough of the forum to know where the major players stand, and how they hold to their doctrines. You've ignored much older, wiser, and closer friends like @PeteR and @Mark C who have told you the same things. I'm under no illusion that I can change your mind. Especially since being too "zealous for the Law" (Acts21:20, Titus2:14) is generally seen as a detractor for winning hearts and minds.

@Kiwi_Lion Sorry for the hijack. BibFam seems to agree on one thing; every thread is free game for rabbit trails. 🙃 Again, welcome!

"over-enthusiastically held manmade traditions." Them's some fighting words against the particular individual who made up those Commands and told them to Moses.
I certainly never intended to imply that Saturday-sabbath worship was a manmade tradition! Certainly not, that was given by God. And we ourselves keep a Saturday sabbath as a result. We just also meet with other believers whenever and wherever they may be found - coffee-shops or churches.

My reference to "manmade tradition" was that you appeared to be choosing not to meet with other believers on Sunday, as you were seeing it as a day to worship the sun. That is a manmade tradition. I was under the impression that you were putting far too much credence onto this tradition, seeing it as an especially evil day - setting it aside in your own mind as a sun-worshipping day rather than just another one of the days that God made for us to use.

I may have partially misunderstood you - you obviously have other issues with Sunday morning church services than just the day they occur on. It would be interesting to discuss this in more detail, but I have no burning desire to start such a discussion. I'm sure it will come up of its own accord at some point.

I'm not going to hammer you in this thread, but by your logic you can now commit adultery, steal, murder, take God's name in vain, set up idols, lie, covet, etc...

Justified picking and choosing.... 🙄
The New Testament takes a stand against each of those things. Faith in Christ does not destroy the Law; it establishes the Law. Only the ordinances of the Law that pointed people to Christ were nailed to the cross. Those ordinances were pictures of Christ, but now we have Christ Himself. The holiness of God, which is explained to mankind in the Law, has never been changed, contrary to the way some may teach. Believers no longer need to focus on the pictures of Christ, now that we have Christ to focus on. The ordinances of the Law served a valuable purpose, but Christ has fulfilled the purpose of the Law's ordinances.

It kind of reminds me of the uniform I used to wear in the Christian school I graduated from. There were very specific clothes that I had to wear, but after graduation, I no longer needed that uniform. Even though I no longer needed to wear those specific clothes, I will always need to dress modestly, which was one of the main things that the uniform was supposed to teach me.

A true believer in Christ has the Holy Spirit living within him, guiding the believer to live in a way that makes the believer stand out like the Law did for the Jewish nation. This manner of life reflects the glory of God and draws other people to Christ. My uniform in school was my outward pressure to conform to the standard of the school I attended. Likewise, the ordinances of the Law were an external pressure on the Jewish nation to live up to the standard of holiness that God requires. However, now the believer has a new internal pressure guiding the believer to live up to that same standard of holiness. Because believers have the Living Law of the Spirit living within us, that's why we no longer need the ordinances of the Mosaic Law.

Having said all that, the Law is still important because our flesh or false teaching will try to get us to live in an unholy manner. The Spirit can always draw us back to the Law and use it to rebuke our flesh or that false teaching. The Spirit can tell us, here is proof that this new direction you are taking does not meet the standard of God's holiness.

I hope my attempt to explain this topic is more helpful than confusing.

It doesn't have to be that way. I'm not criticising @DawoodSaar, I don't know his situation. I am pointing out for other readers who might find that prospect depressing that this is not inevitable - it is entirely possible to grow and change in our views and still maintain at least a good portion of our friendships (those that do not of their own decision choose to reject us). We have moved from conventional Christian thought, through careful Torah-keeping, back to a middle-ground of sorts, while simultaneously accepting polygamy, and through this have either preserved or only lost briefly and restored the majority of our local and family Christian friendships, and continue to fellowship locally with mainstream Christians. Even the church we were kicked out of once we are now actively involved in children's ministry with, and I'm back to teaching scripture in the same building as regularly as I used to - just on an evening to children instead of a Sunday morning to the adults! This is not everyone's experience - but it is possible. You don't know where God will take you.

As a very overused and abused but nevertheless true Maori proverb says:
He aha te mea nui o te ao
He tangata, he tangata, he tangata

What is the most important thing in the world?
It is the people, it is the people, it is the people
Praise the Lord!

Shalom everyone, I'm Julian from New Zealand, 39yo. I got interested in Biblical Marriage after I was talking to some Mormon ladies about Polygyny about a year ago. I came across Pete Rambo's channel and got a lot of Red Pills from watching his videos.

I have recently renewed my faith in Christ. Although I do find it strange that Christians worship on Sunday and totally disregard the Sabbath. I'm 5% Jewish according to Ancestory.com so it's good to meet like minded Messianics.

I'm interested in doing homesteading off-grid and hopefully creating a community.

I recently did some courses on film making so I would be keen to create some film content dealing with Biblical Marriage.

If anyone is around the top of the South Island, pop in for a visit.
Here’s the challenge link for chess.com. I couldn’t find you through the search function.

Having said all that, the Law is still important because our flesh or false teaching will try to get us to live in an unholy manner. The Spirit can always draw us back to the Law and use it to rebuke our flesh or that false teaching.
Exactly.

Shalom.

Back