• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Homestead Location Recommendations?

It sounds so strange to hear you refer to Arkansas as being "out west". I'd call it "down south" or "back east". We have different perspectives in Georgia and Washington. ☺️

I think "west" actually begins around interstate 35, Oklahoma City, Dallas, and Wichita. That where things really start to get excessively dry.
Lol, anything past the Mississippi is west.

We moved here years ago FROM the Missouri Ozarks (SGF area, Table Rock Lake, etc) after years in-between, from the Colorado Front Range to Costa Rica. Considered lots of areas (but admit I don't miss the climate of SW Mo.) This mesa at 9000' in the San Luis Valley of the southern Rockies is not without issues (water, certainly, but with planning that's solvable; we get snow and cold in winter, but it's mostly SUNNY, and, honestly, less cabin fever than the Gray Lands, where humid cold rips right into your bones. ;) )

It is beautiful, too. And, ironically in large part because of the isolation and lack of what the world calls "amenities" - affordable.

I'm big on a VERY off-grid, way "off-the-beaten path," low population density Boondocks Situation. Even an abundance of water and fertile land is not as much of a positive if thousands of people nearby are anxious to kill you for it.

Last edited:
Especially the government
I'm in Australia and I don't understand why you would say that. Our goverments are great and yes, we have a few poisonous snakes but no bears, mountain lions, cougars, etc like you have in USA.
Please don't insult my country based on false images created by the media or crazy scaremongers.
Australia is a great place to live.
God bless. 😀

I'm in Australia and I don't understand why you would say that. Our goverments are great and yes, we have a few poisonous snakes but no bears, mountain lions, cougars, etc like you have in USA.
Please don't insult my country based on false images created by the media or crazy scaremongers.
God bless. 😀
In terms of govt control, it's not a great place to be. In terms of free speech, or freedom over what you do with your body, it's not a great place to be. Covid was where they really showed their true colours, but I've seen it in midwifery care from friends of mine living over there years ago. It has not been good.
While the 'everything is trying to kill you' saying is mostly a joke, the govt stuff is probably something to be more concerned about than huge spiders and venomous snakes.
I have friends and family that are living over there and having wonderful lives. I've had amazing holidays over there. It's a lovely place. But I wouldn't choose to live under that government if could help it. Unfortunately I'm stuck under the NZ govt which is not much better a lot of the time.

God bless. 😀

The video says your country is slipping into despotism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9FO-iUbDps

I agree with you about the fire ants. I hate them. I want to stay North of them.

Unfortunately, I also agree about the direction Texas is headed. The rot of Austin is expanding.

Besides that, most of Texas is too dry for optimal homesteading. The Eastern area Keith mentioned being the exception.
Texafornia...

We should start a thread just for posting property listings of properties of interest.
I would be all over that.
They are becoming all the more places popping up recently after a serious dry time.

I see the property listings from the other side of the country. Of course EVERYTHING is the other side from the northwest.

Back