• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Homestead Location Recommendations?

If political trajectory is a real concern South Carolina is an excellent choice... We do not have big cities...
Hmmm, so the key is to not have big cities…..
Does anyone happen to have Putin’s phone number?

Really? We drove from Fort Worth to Rock Hill SC then down to Orlando and on to Key West and back up to Fort Lauderdale before heading back through New Orleans. Where are you along that route?
Not too far from Natchitoches

Hmmm, so the key is to not have big cities…..
Does anyone happen to have Putin’s phone number?
It's not a guarantee... But it certainly helps.

If political trajectory is a real concern South Carolina is an excellent choice... We do not have big cities...
I currently live in SC, in the Greenville area. Plus we have Lindsey Graham...in the top 5 worst RINO list for sure. I absolutely love the country in SC, I just don't think I can call the place home for the rest of my life. Not my favorite, but significantly better than when I lived in California or Dallas, TX that much I'm certain. Dallas was just little California with guns when I was there a few years back.

We live in Missouri south central about 2hr from Ava. Here is a pic of our back field looking towards the tiny house.View attachment 3185
Now that's the kind of land I'm looking for! I grew up in Southern Iowa and that looks very familiar. I don't think I could go back there though. How are the laws around there? Is there any complaints you have about the area? Like it being illegal to sell raw milk or honey?

In addition to the Torah Keepers in the Ozarks, there are a lot of God fearing, Bible believing, Jesus loving people in general.

It seems like there are a lot of pentecostal and holiness type churches (like Assembly of God and Nazarene church). That's good, but I might prefer a few more Calvinist Baptist types like myself 😉

Most of the people I've known from Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri are friendly, generous, hard working, and all around decent. They are the kind of people I want around if the world falls apart.
That's definitely a plus, the further down the tube our country goes the more this worries me for raising my children. Guess I'm a bigot but I'd prefer to not have my children growing up around heathens and degenerates. I can handle brothers and sisters in Christ I disagree with just fine, as long as they're not progressives or super out there.

I know two people who have spent time in the hospital due to anaphylactic shock after being bitten. Our garden is presently overrun.
Sounds like bees. Better hope they all disappear.

;)

Dallas was just little California with guns when I was there a few years back.
I've been generally avoiding Dallas ever since living in Colleyville back in the 1960s.

My perspective on them is that folks overly freaked out about them, much like they did the Threat of Killer Bees. Don't get me wrong, fire ants are nasty critters, and mainly because they have some undetectable but recognizable method of communicating with each other from a distance. Their greatest weapon is swarming onto something, and then when one gives the signal they all begin biting at once. I've been the unfortunate victim of this twice in my life. It sucks, but it's not a tornado or anything.
Regarding the fire ants, I believe there has been some success in using parasitoids to help control them. Parasitoids are some of the better biological control agents since they tend to be pretty specific in regards to their host.

Also, ants and other members of the order hymenoptera (bees and wasps) are famous (among nerdy entomologists 😉) for their use of pheromones to communicate with each other. They use trail pheromones to mark transportation routes, and alarm-attack pheromones for coordinating defensive activities (or offensive ones in the case of fire ants.

Now that's the kind of land I'm looking for! I grew up in Southern Iowa and that looks very familiar. I don't think I could go back there though. How are the laws around there? Is there any complaints you have about the area? Like it being illegal to sell raw milk or honey?
When we moved here in 2003 and were homeschooling the laws were very open. You "may" keep a log if you want to, just in case someone questions you, you "may" send a letter to the school district stating that you are homeschooling, really I think this was mostly for those who already had their children in a government school and were taking them out to homeschool. There is a good homeschool community here, in the Springfield and surrounding areas that have monthly training on homeschool laws for the area and "how-tos " for those just starting. Also, there is a great music program offered here in the Springfield area for those looking at learning or pursuing music.

As for raw milk and honey, yes you can sell off your property many people do in this area. Also, there are local farmer's markets around here, one in Buffalo, Fair Grove, Bolivar, Lebanon, and a big one on the mall property in Springfield. We sell our eggs to city slickers at work. lol

We have a small 20-acre parcel, a quarter of it being wooded and an hour North of Springfield. One thing about the Ozarks, a lot of land is rocky, we are very blessed with this land we found. For instance, it took me about 2.5 hours to trench 300 feet for our sewer line to the lagoon area and that was my first time ever using that kind of equipment. Also, I would like to point out we had a 4-hour rental, I did my water lines and other areas 2.5 to 3 feet down within that time period. A friend of ours, who is about 20 min from us, used the same piece of equipment to trench about 1.5 feet down and approx 75 feet and it took him 6 hours.

Like someone else mentioned this area is definitely getting a lot of Torah Observant Believers, which is right up our alley. There is one Torah Observant group that seems poly-friendly, the ones in Ava, not so much. I am not saying they don't exist, one would have to do their homework. We do have some friends in the Stockton area that gave up vehicles and went horse and buggy, basically, they live like the Amish do, with no power and so on and they are definitely poly-friendly even though they only have one wife. Truth is truth.

If you have any other questions, ask away :) :)

homeschool
Another point in Texas's favor: all one has to do to homeschool is write a note to the school system saying one is withdrawing one's children.

Another point in Texas's favor: all one has to do to homeschool is write a note to the school system saying one is withdrawing one's children.
Believe it or not, when we lived in Oregon, which has strict homeschool laws, I am of the mindset, I'm going to do what I am going to do and I don't care what the government says. All we did is made sure the children didn't go out during school hours since we lived in the city. Living out in the country would make that a lot easier if you are living in a state that is strict.

I currently live in SC, in the Greenville area. Plus we have Lindsey Graham...in the top 5 worst RINO list for sure. I absolutely love the country in SC, I just don't think I can call the place home for the rest of my life. Not my favorite, but significantly better than when I lived in California or Dallas, TX that much I'm certain. Dallas was just little California with guns when I was there a few years back.
Bro. I'm within an hour of Greenville... We should connect.

How big are the individual properties that you all looking at dividing that into? I might seriously be interested in anything between 5 and 50 acres (20 probably perfect).

Tennessee is pretty great, even if it isn't the Missouri Ozarks. 👍
Two rules!

1. ALWAYS buy more tractor than you think you need...
2. ALWAYS buy more acres than you think you need...

Experience has spoken. 😂

Same as @Pacman we're in the same neighborhood. Come visit! DM for connection.

1. ALWAYS buy more tractor than you think you need...
2. ALWAYS buy more acres than you think you need...

Those are VERY good rules! No one ever complains when they can use a JD 9 series to plow and seed 30 acres. But you will complain if you have to use a 1 series to plow and seed 3000 acres.

Also the JD 9 is the best 4WD in the world! It's what you use when your tricked out Jeep gets stuck!

Hello all! An amazing opportunity has come up for my family and we have an opportunity to move with an adequate sum of money. I would like to start homesteading and would like your recommendations for states to start. Right now I'm really looking at Southern Missouri in the Ozarks area. Others have been eastern Kentucky, West Virginia, etc.
My soon be husband homesteads in north Arkansas

Back