• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Homestead Location Recommendations?

When we moved here in 2003 and were homeschooling the laws were very open. You "may" keep a log if you want to, just in case someone questions you, you "may" send a letter to the school district stating that you are homeschooling, really I think this was mostly for those who already had their children in a government school and were taking them out to homeschool. There is a good homeschool community here, in the Springfield and surrounding areas that have monthly training on homeschool laws for the area and "how-tos " for those just starting. Also, there is a great music program offered here in the Springfield area for those looking at learning or pursuing music.

As for raw milk and honey, yes you can sell off your property many people do in this area. Also, there are local farmer's markets around here, one in Buffalo, Fair Grove, Bolivar, Lebanon, and a big one on the mall property in Springfield. We sell our eggs to city slickers at work. lol

We have a small 20-acre parcel, a quarter of it being wooded and an hour North of Springfield. One thing about the Ozarks, a lot of land is rocky, we are very blessed with this land we found. For instance, it took me about 2.5 hours to trench 300 feet for our sewer line to the lagoon area and that was my first time ever using that kind of equipment. Also, I would like to point out we had a 4-hour rental, I did my water lines and other areas 2.5 to 3 feet down within that time period. A friend of ours, who is about 20 min from us, used the same piece of equipment to trench about 1.5 feet down and approx 75 feet and it took him 6 hours.

Like someone else mentioned this area is definitely getting a lot of Torah Observant Believers, which is right up our alley. There is one Torah Observant group that seems poly-friendly, the ones in Ava, not so much. I am not saying they don't exist, one would have to do their homework. We do have some friends in the Stockton area that gave up vehicles and went horse and buggy, basically, they live like the Amish do, with no power and so on and they are definitely poly-friendly even though they only have one wife. Truth is truth.

If you have any other questions, ask away :) :)
Wow! I already knew that the Missouri Ozarks were at the top of my list, but tou just bumped the area up several more notches!

Well, I’m a consultant and advise people on this subject as my profession and full time income. I’m looking at property in Tennessee. Actually looking at a multi-million dollar piece of property right now. Might be buying it to subdivide into homestead lots with an integrated cooperative extension built into the community.

So my personal opinion is Tennessee.
I am in Middle Tennessee. It doesn't snow excessively and the season is longer to plant and harvest a garden. I love it here.

As a side note..My son and I started our homestead without visiting other homesteads. How hard could it be right. Lol if I could do it again I would visit as many homesteads as I could to see what worked and didn't work for others and then make the big decisions. Blessings!!

Last edited:
Well, I’m a consultant and advise people on this subject as my profession and full time income. I’m looking at property in Tennessee. Actually looking at a multi-million dollar piece of property right now. Might be buying it to subdivide into homestead lots with an integrated cooperative extension built into the community.

So my personal opinion is Tennessee.

Wish I had known you were working on that project when we hung out. I would have had a million questions about the process and legal structure and and and. Would love to see lots of micro communities of homesteaders start popping up all over.

Re location, I am thinking about east to north east Oklahoma not terribly far from Missouri. Vastly higher water availability of water whether above or below ground and livestock carrying capacity far beyond what I grew up with on the family ranch in west Texas. Not dead set on it but so far the only thing that seems to weigh against it to the best of knowledge is the state income tax.

There is a vibrant Torah community spilling out of northern Arkansas. The politics in Missouri are phenomenal right now.
I have friends in the NW Arkansas area and yes there is a large Torah community there. My Jewish family came from TN into that area of AR. Eastern Oklahoma is also a great area for homesteading with good land prices. You just have to be prepared for water catchment because we'll drilling may be a challenge.... Depending on where you are.

I have friends in the NW Arkansas area and yes there is a large Torah community there. My Jewish family came from TN into that area of AR. Eastern Oklahoma is also a great area for homesteading with good land prices. You just have to be prepared for water catchment because we'll drilling may be a challenge.... Depending on where you are.
It seems like water is frequently an issue anywhere out west.

Does anyone live in or around Sharp County or Izard county Arkansas by any chance? I was considering some land there, haven't been that far up in Arkansas yet. Just curious what your thoughts are on the areas? Or do ya'll know any counties in Missouri that have lax zoning regulations?

Last edited:
We are in northern MN. We are shielded by 3 hours of travel from the liberals in Minneapolis and the temperature up here is too cold for California's, or fire ants lol. Good soil, lots of water and lots of federal land to hunt and forage on, plus lots of wild rice. Yum.
You had at me at fire ants!

The Diamond G Ranch is for sale! Anyone with a spare $61,000,000 can have it all!

I asked, Yah said “Not today”.

The Diamond G Ranch is for sale! Anyone with a spare $61,000,000 can have it all!

That place has a lot of downsides for 61 million! Grazing only in summer, mountain lions, BEARS. I've been well schooled here about how dangerous bears are, and if I recall correctly, grizzly bears are the most dangerous.
Look, if you have that sort of money, you would not believe what you could buy here, and there's no predators. Grazing all year round too :).

That place has a lot of downsides for 61 million! Grazing only in summer, mountain lions, BEARS. I've been well schooled here about how dangerous bears are, and if I recall correctly, grizzly bears are the most dangerous.
Look, if you have that sort of money, you would not believe what you could buy here, and there's no predators. Grazing all year round too :).
Yeah, but there is that pesky visa thing. Last I heard, the borders weren’t all that open.

Wyoming still isn't as bad as Australia. EVERYTHING in Australia wants to kill you!

Yeah, but there is that pesky visa thing. Last I heard, the borders weren’t all that open.
Just wave your US$61,000,000 under the noses of the greedy politicians in Wellington and see how fast they process your visa. You might be surprised at the sudden ease and efficiency of the application process!

Borders are fully open, vaccinated or not. We just had our first cruise ship back, full of people with covid lol!
Wyoming still isn't as bad as Australia. EVERYTHING in Australia wants to kill you!
Agreed! I would not want to live there! I had a friend who had to go outside in her yard and clear the area of brown snakes (one of the most poisonous ones) before her children could play outside. No thank you.
Just wave your US$61,000,000 under the noses of the greedy politicians in Wellington and see how fast they process your visa. You might be surprised at the sudden ease and efficiency of the application process!
Yip yip yip. We have heaps of elite and Hollywood types buying up land and building bunkers here. As long as you've got the $, it's not a problem.

It seems like water is frequently an issue anywhere out west.
It sounds so strange to hear you refer to Arkansas as being "out west". I'd call it "down south" or "back east". We have different perspectives in Georgia and Washington. ☺️

I think "west" actually begins around interstate 35, Oklahoma City, Dallas, and Wichita. That where things really start to get excessively dry.

Back