• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How to fix the forum environment

I kind of think that a separate forum for debate would not be enough. If you really want to look friendly to the newbies, then I think the debate section will have to be private to the regulars. Otherwise the newbies are still going to wander in and think we are mean and unfeeling.

I see the merit in that. Then again if all the 'real talk' is private, the casual browser won't see any serious discussion of the things that are more serious, maybe

I see the merit in that. Then again if all the 'real talk' is private, the casual browser won't see any serious discussion of the things that are more serious, maybe

This would be my concern as well

I am all for looking all peaceful for people who are not ready for challenging situations, (warning but-monkey ahead) but when people make statements that are problematic and are not challenged/corrected, we de facto teach falsehoods by leaving their statement standing.
Sorry, but I am more concerned about a weaker brother getting mislead than the ones that get their feels hurt. At least a debated statement shows the newbie that there is more than one interpretation of the subject.
Can we debate graciously? It gets harder as the perceived danger of deception rises.

This really bothers me. A husband has the authority to correct his wife but I think it offensive for another man to tell him to control her.

This may always be offensive, but is it always inappropriate? The context of what you are responding to seems to be clearly inappropriate, but I've recently told my own father that his wife is out of control and he is responsible to "control" her when she was going to call social services on me for ruling my home a certain way. I was pleading with my dad to be a man and do something to protect his son from danger. He might have been offended, but it was appropriate from my understanding to try to share with him where he is going wrong. As far as I can tell this was effective to at least stir him to at least oppose her, since she backed off the day after my exhortation.

Galatians 2:11 (KJV)
But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

It is interesting that Paul did not keep his correction of Peter private, in fact we are still reading about Peters embarrassment 2000 years later.

I just remembered, ole Peter got his rump handed to him publicly by Yeshua also:
Matthew 16:23 (KJV)
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

But which rebuked hothead did YHWH use to open the message of the gospel to the gentiles?

I am not trying to make a case for no-holds-barred pugilistic confrontation, but it wasn’t peace and safety that spread the gospel.

I am all for looking all peaceful for people who are not ready for challenging situations, (warning but-monkey ahead) but when people make statements that are problematic and are not challenged/corrected, we de facto teach falsehoods by leaving their statement standing.
Sorry, but I am more concerned about a weaker brother getting mislead than the ones that get their feels hurt. At least a debated statement shows the newbie that there is more than one interpretation of the subject.
Can we debate graciously? It gets harder as the perceived danger of deception rises.
Yeah! This!

As far as women and the forum go, I have to point out that my beloves @windblown has waded in to the deep end a time or two and come out unscathed and dare I say a little triumphant? Now I realize she's an exceptional woman has even given me a run for my money a few times but it is possible, if a woman's willing to take her lumps, to mix it up with the men folks.

I kind of think that a separate forum for debate would not be enough. If you really want to look friendly to the newbies, then I think the debate section will have to be private to the regulars. Otherwise the newbies are still going to wander in and think we are mean and unfeeling.
Hmmmmm. Good point, but maybe if they see the regulars duke it out, then give each other smiley emojis later, they'll see we ain't all that bad.:rolleyes:

Has anyone seen my graciousness?
I seem to have misplaced it this morning. :eek::rolleyes:

images

Until further notice @steve can say whatever he wants however he wants because he has lost his graciousness.
In case anyone hadn’t put the pieces together, this am a new person posted his situation and I blessed him with the rough side of my tongue.
Just doing my best to help them feel welcomed. o_O

In case anyone hadn’t put the pieces together, this am a new person posted his situation and I blessed him with the rough side of my tongue.
Just doing my best to help them feel welcomed. o_O
No, that was exactly what the situation called for. Not the normal welcome, but also not the normal grand entry.

Back