• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

I had "the conversation" with a pastor yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be awesome, if they were equipped to do so.
That was a direct question in response to your post.
but I have also been a part of churches that do equip. Our #1 focus must always be to be witnesses for Christ and go into all the world and preach the gospel and make disciples.
It’s a great theory, but it’s not the reality.

That was a direct question in response to your post.

It’s a great theory, but it’s not the reality.
So we are not really supposed to be sharing Christ with people who are lost? I hope that is not what you are suggesting!

So we are not really supposed to be sharing Christ with people who are lost? I hope that is not what you are suggesting!
You seem to be evading the point, I’m going to drop it.

Well, technically speaking, "pastor" is another word for shepherd, and the shepherd's job is to protect the sheep from the wolves and other dangers. We do need to rethink the way our leadership in churches in managed, but some of us here are not so convinced that we need to do away with churches altogether.
Scripturally, there is ONE shepherd. The other roles available are sheep, wolves, and robbers. Many are trying to play two roles at a time...

Scripturally, there is ONE shepherd. The other roles available are sheep, wolves, and robbers. Many are trying to play two roles at a time...
There is one Chief Shepherd (1 Peter 5:4), however you might want to reconsider your understanding regarding those who are His shepherds.
In Acts 20:28, Paul told the elders from Ephesus; Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God which he bought with his own blood.
Peter wrote to the pilgrims, in 1 Peter 5:2, saying, Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve.
In Eph. 4:11 it is written, So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers.
The word translated pastors here is from the Greek word ποιμένας, which is actually the word for "shepherds." Cheers

It hard when they continue to teach wrongly once you have clearly shown them what the Bible teaches.

Ignorance is bad enough, but wilfully refusing to heed God's written word is another matter.
Well fortunately, we do have a few pastors that are here. Unfortunately, they don't have a flock to minister to in person, at least as far as I am aware, except for Dowell.

Well fortunately, we do have a few pastors that are here. Unfortunately, they don't have a flock to minister to in person, at least as far as I am aware, except for Dowell.
Pastors are in a very difficult predicament. I feel something of the weight of it.

If he tells the truth about what the Bible says then the following will very likely happen.
1. He will get fired, be ridiculed, hated, and scorned, drummed out of his career, experience financial hardship, and likely watch his own family disintegrate.
2. His church will probably explode if anyone actually agrees with him.
3. Broader society will utterly despise him.
4. Certain carnally minded men in the church will think polygamy gives them a free pass to gratify their flesh. These men will wreck their families and make a huge mess.

On the last Day, this pastor will also be commended for his fidelity to Christ. He passed a hard test. God knows that he told the truth because he truly fears Him, and believes, loves, and hopes in Christ. Like Lazarus the beggar, this man will enter and receive the blessings of the Master.

On the other hand, he can just go along to get along, playing ball with the devil by intentionally suppressing truth in unrighteousness. Fearing man more than God, he can compromise with the world, and lie about God's word.

He will remain respectable. He will get to keep his air conditioned office. The paychecks will keep coming. All people will speak well of him.

On the last Day, he will likely hear "Depart from Me into the lake of fire for I never knew you".

Like the rich man, he chose the "good things" of this life over God Himself, and will enter torment.

I don't believe pastors will go to hell for teaching wrongly about polygamy, but the man who ultimately teaches lies because he fears man more than God simply doesn't have true saving faith. He lies about the Bible because he doesn't actually belong to Christ.

The Lord told us to count the cost, and that the man who seeks to save his life will lose it, while the man who loses his life for Christ will save it.

Last edited:
Pastors are in a very difficult predicament. I feel something of the weight of it.

If he tells the truth about what the Bible says then the following will very likely happen.
1. He will get fired, be ridiculed, hated, and scorned, drummed out of his career, experience financial hardship, and likely watch his own family disintegrate.
2. His church will probably explode if anyone actually agrees with him.
3. Broader society will utterly despise him.
4. Certain carnally minded men in the church will think polygamy gives them a free pass to gratify their flesh. These men will wreck their families and make a huge mess.

On the last Day, this pastor will also be commended for his fidelity to Christ. He passed a hard test. God knows that he told the truth because he truly fears Him, and believes, loves, and hopes in Christ. Like Lazarus the beggar, this man will enter and receive the blessings of the Master.

On the other hand, he can just go along to get along, playing ball with the devil by intentionally suppressing truth in unrighteousness. Fearing man more than God, he can compromise with the world, and lie about God's word.

He will remain respectable. He will get to keep his air conditioned office. The paychecks will keep coming. All people will speak well of him.

On the last Day, he will likely hear "Depart from Me into the lake of fire for I never knew you".

Like the rich man, he chose the "good things" of this life over God Himself, and will enter torment.

I don't believe pastors will go to hell for teaching wrongly about polygamy, but the man who ultimately teaches lies because he fears man more than God simply doesn't have true saving faith. He lies about the Bible because he doesn't actually belong to Christ.

The Lord told us to count the cost, and that the man who seeks to save his life will lose it, while the man who loses his life for Christ will save it.
As was stated earlier in this thread, bottom up grassroots approach has the potential of providing those honest pastors a landing spot.

Your point #2 is spot on. The church explodes. Typically it is called a church split. It is not a pretty sight, but as long as there is a following, the pastor is left without excuse.

Waste of time. No pastor is going to stand up in front of his congregation and preach the goodness of polygyny. He knows he will be scorned forever so he just won’t do it.

I’ve quickly found people are entrenched in their beliefs on this. Without even hearing what you have to say on it for one second. They believe it’s wrong and if God himself came and told them personally in their ear they still wouldn’t believe it.

Waste of time. No pastor is going to stand up in front of his congregation and preach the goodness of polygyny. He knows he will be scorned forever so he just won’t do it.

I’ve quickly found people are entrenched in their beliefs on this. Without even hearing what you have to say on it for one second. They believe it’s wrong and if God himself came and told them personally in their ear they still wouldn’t believe it.
Different pastors take different approaches. One such pastor that I met at the retreat in January, has a "Don't ask, don't tell" approach. Obviously, that is not effective when it comes to getting our message out, but he may be working it into private conversations e has been having with members of his church. Other pastors have gotten booted for not being so private about their second wives, and obviously, that did not accomplish very much either. When Jesus spoke about shaking the dust off your feet, He also said, “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves." At times, we must be subversive, if we want to have a highly vehicle for spreading the good news of salvation in Christ Jesus.

Last edited:
Really? Then how come we have pastors & preachers here who have lost their congregations for doing just that?
Don't assume a single stereotype in your own mind fits everyone.

As was stated earlier in this thread, bottom up grassroots approach has the potential of providing those honest pastors a landing spot.

Your point #2 is spot on. The church explodes. Typically it is called a church split. It is not a pretty sight, but as long as there is a following, the pastor is left without excuse.
Its very simple.

Polygyny from pastors preachering is too much change for too much people. That's way it won't fly.

Last edited:
Some here have been around long enough to remember Pastor Steve Butt, before there was Biblical Families, but he has his own polygyny-oriented website and ministry. (Which is how some of us met.)

I asked him once, privately, if he had noted a 'denominational bias,' in how licensed pastors responded to the Truth about marriage in Scripture, based on who contacted him.

Answer: "Baptists, because they tend to pride themselves on how well they know and follow Scripture." He then went on to say that so many are thus shocked when they realize that truth, and that their 'church' isn't willing to teach it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back