• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

In what way does God join man and woman together?

I've not found a single instance in scripture that says man and wife are joined spiritually. Emotionally, yes. Sexually, yes. Never spiritually. We are only joined spiritually with God. We are joined in covenants through God.

You absolutely have an emotional union when a marriage is consummated and it's glorious. But it is not two spirits joining according to scripture. God calls that union of sexual congress in marriage two physical bodies being joined together.

In Hebrew it's "echad basar" - לְבָשָׂר אֶחָד.
Together flesh, united bodies, united flesh, fitted together flesh, a certain flesh, a/an flesh,

In Greek it's "flesh a" - σάρκα μίαν.

ECHAD: The KJV translates Strong's H259 (Echad) in the following manner: one (687x), first (36x), another (35x), other (30x), any (18x), once (13x), eleven (with H6240) (13x), every (10x), certain (9x), an (7x), some (7x), miscellaneous (87x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. one (number)
    1. one (number)
    2. each, every
    3. a certain
    4. an (indefinite article)
    5. only, once, once for all
    6. one...another, the one...the other, one after another, one by one
    7. first
    8. eleven (in combination), eleventh (ordinal)
Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
אֶחָד ʼechâd, ekh-awd'; a numeral from H258; properly, united, i.e. one; or (as an ordinal) first:—a, alike, alone, altogether, and, any(-thing), apiece, a certain, (dai-) ly, each (one), eleven, every, few, first, highway, a man, once, one, only, other, some, together,

BASAR: The KJV translates Strong's H1320 in the following manner: flesh (256x), body (2x), fatfleshed (with H1277) (2x), leanfleshed (with H1851) (2x), kin (2x), leanfleshed (with H7534) (1x), mankind (with H376) (1x), myself (1x), nakedness (1x), skin (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. flesh
    1. of the body
      1. of humans
      2. of animals
    2. the body itself
    3. male organ of generation (euphemism)
    4. kindred, blood-relations
    5. flesh as frail or erring (man against God)
    6. all living things
    7. animals
    8. mankind
Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
בָּשָׂר bâsâr, baw-sawr'; from H1319; flesh (from its freshness); by extension, body, person; also (by euphemistically) the pudenda of a man:—body, (fat, lean) flesh(-ed), kin, (man-) kind, nakedness, self, skin.

Sarx : σάρκα — 39x from G4561 σάρξ
Mia: μίαν — 36x from G1520 εἷς

Sarx is even used to contrast the stark difference between the word flesh and spirit. When copulation occurs according to scripture (as far as I can find) the only description is fleshly joining, never spiritual union.

What do you mean by spiritual?
Motivation.

Holy spirit imparts (and implies) a desire to be set apart and in harmony with YHWH. This motivation comes from the indwelling of Holy Sprit.
What do you mean by join?
United in purpose.

As Yeshua prayed that his disciples would be one with Him and the Father, it is the indwelling of the spirit that joins believers, giving them a united purpose in building the family/Kingdom of YHWH.
Where in scripture does it say that a couple are joined spiritually in the way described in your above definition?
It is only implied in that the union is to be lifelong.

In practical terms one can usually substitute motivation for spirit. Even that familiar passage in Ephesians tells us we battle against "motivational wickedness" in high places. (This describes politics)

I have no doubt that the coupling of a man and woman changes her, bonds her, and motivates her, all toward her husband and his purpose.

Obviously some rebel against this, just as some rebel against God and what faith requires. But there is a real aspect of joining that goes beyond the physical coupling...as her heart, mind, and thinking are actually changed by physical relations.

That's my best attempt with the time I have to spend. :)

Last edited:
I'm in agreeance with you all on the one flesh nature and marriage, I just wanted to know mainly in what way is God involved in the process? For God is spirit, and the one flesh act is fleshly. Is His joining done in bringing them together? Is He there at the sexual union joining them together, or simply acknowledging it as done? Most of the answers I've been given have gone over how marriage is done, but my question has more to do with God's part in the matter. Based off of Christ's words it seems that the Father has a part in marriage.

What therefore God hath joined together
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭19‬:‭6‬

This is my question, and Zec said yes that He joins them at the sexual union. NVIII was also getting more to the point of what I was asking.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that the coupling of a man and woman changes her, bonds her, and motivates her, all toward her husband and his purpose.

Obviously some rebel against this, just as some rebel against God and what faith requires. But there is a real aspect of joining that goes beyond the physical coupling...as her heart, mind, and thinking are actually changed by physical relations.

That's my best attempt with the time I have to spend. :)

Nailed it!

It comes down to this. God's example of what "marriage" is, can be defined by His example. It's a covenantal relationship. He ratifies the covenant as long as it is done according to His example and His standards for acceptable marriage partner. Because He designed, instituted, and exampled the relationship, it is He who does the joining.

Yet another example of why sexual copulation cannot equal marriage. If it did, then any sexual coming together would result in marriages. Thankfully God's word is clear that is not the case.

It's either that or we're reading WAY too much into a passage that might be lost in translation or missing context. It wouldn't be the first verse that got misinterpreted because we don't speak Greek.

In what way does God join man and woman, exactly?
We may be overthinking this one, it could be that when we join together, He ratifies the union. We dast not destroy what we had Him ratify.
Let’s face it, He cannot arbitrarily join us together if we don’t take an active part.

We may be overthinking this one, it could be that when we join together, He ratifies the union. We dast not destroy what we had Him ratify.
Let’s face it, He cannot arbitrarily join us together if we don’t take an active part.
This is a fine answer for me, as well.

Yet another example of why sexual copulation cannot equal marriage. If it did, then any sexual coming together would result in marriages. Thankfully God's word is clear that is not the case.
I agree with you there, and I've read through your debate on this topic. I do believe that marriage is more than sex as well, or else close to everyone is committing adultery in this immoral generation.

Last edited:
I agree with you there, and I've read through your debate on this topic. I do believe that marriage is more than sex as well, or else close to everyone is committing adultery in this immoral generation.
Exodus 22:16-17

If a man seduces a virgin who is not engaged to anyone and has sex with her, he must pay the customary bride price and marry her. 17But if her father refuses to let him marry her, the man must still pay him an amount equal to the bride price of a virgin.

The man that took her virginity has a responsibility straight from the Most High (if her own father approves) to marry her. If society follows this simple and righteous law - there would be less wickedness. For it's written:

Leviticus 19:29
Do not allow your daughter to commit whoredom lest the land commit whoredom and the land be filled with sin.

We have young girls going to clubs - men are raping these women - and then tossing them out like a used condom with no covering. It's the "Bachelor Lifestyle" that this wicked world encourages. "He's just in his 20's or 30's - let him have fun." But God forbid there is a man out there whose rock is the salvation - Yeshua - who reads and believes the Word of God - which means he marries and takes care of these women; instead of exchanging them like a used car. Such a man is considered detestable in this crooked generation. Most of today's Christian teachers are walking in darkness without the light of the dawn in them:

Isaiah 8:20
Look to God’s law and teachings! People who contradict his word are completely in the dark.

Last edited:
I do believe that marriage is more than sex as well, or else close to everyone is committing adultery in this immoral generation.
Actually, when you consider the number of failed relationships in the contemporary culture, whether those relationships had a licence or not, close to everyone is committing adultery. On other threads I've referred to the situation here (where I'm currently located) as a 'cesspool of adultery' because of the way so many drift into and out of committed relationships. I don't see any reason to think it's different anywhere else in the world.

God's uniting of the man and woman is a joining of the two together; from συζεύγνυμι, to fasten to one yoke together, to be yoked together.

Because He designed, instituted, and exampled the relationship, it is He who does the joining.
Yes.

We have young girls going to clubs - men are raping these women - and then tossing them out like a used condom with no covering.
That not a rape. Girls are willing.

This is perfect example of gynocentrism of which @Keith Martin speak.

Like you can't mentally image girls willing participanting and wanting to have clubbing and sex. Nope. They are all pure creatures and only sins is caused by men.

Man, you have some distorted wievs of how women actually behave.

That not a rape. Girls are willing.

This is perfect example of gynocentrism of which @Keith Martin speak.

Like you can't mentally image girls willing participanting and wanting to have clubbing and sex. Nope. They are all pure creatures and only sins is caused by men.

Man, you have some distorted wievs of how women actually behave.
Yes - there is plenty of that going on - women going to clubs for fornication themselves. But I was pointing out something else. Kidnapping and being sold to sex slavery or prostitution.

Exodus 21:16
“Kidnappers must be put to death, whether they are caught in possession of their victims or have already sold them as slaves.

Prostitution and sex slavery becomes a big business in a "monogamy only" world. Clubs are a hotspot for kidnapping. It all goes back to the "whoredom" causing a "increase in wickedness." It all goes back to dis-regarding his Holy and Righteous law. If the law of the land gave men the ability to marry multiple women - as allowed by the Creator of Existence - the business for sex slavery and prostitution would go way down. But the adversary doesn't want that:

1 John 5:19
We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.

Does it all make sense? If the adversary creates the conditions where whoredom flourishes - then wickedness flourishes. This all the result of men not seeking their Creator - because the Word is the weapon against the adversary.

Hebrews 11:6
He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Proverbs 28:4
To reject the law is to praise the wicked; to obey the law is to fight them.

Last edited:
Yes - there is plenty of that going on - women going to clubs for fornication themselves. But I was pointing out something else. Kidnapping and being sold to sex slavery or prostitution.
Happens far less than you think. If it was widespread as like 1% women would stop clubbing.

Prostitution and sex slavery becomes a big business in a "monogamy only" world.
Never stopped Islam from sexual slavery.

Does it all make sense? If the adversary creates the conditions where whoredom flourishes - then wickedness flourishes. This all the result of men not seeking their Creator - because the Word is the weapon against the adversary.
No. Your conclusions start from premises which don't happen.

Happens far less than you think. If it was widespread as like 1% women would stop clubbing.
It depends on the region - it's a bit more common in Europe and especially Mexico/South America than the USA.

Never stopped Islam from sexual slavery.
All religions and nations are involved with sex slavery.

No. Your conclusions start from premises which don't happen.
Lawlessness = ignoring or downright rejecting his Holy and Righteous Law. Look at the homosexual law:

Leviticus 20:13
If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense.

Since this law was rejected in favor of Roman/Greco (human) laws -- homosexuality has grown exponentially corrupting the youth, and it has even expanded to transgenderism (which is another abomination - a man can't dress like a woman. Plus vice versa).

Cause and effect. Blessings for obedience. Curses for dis-obedience. If the Most High judged the House of Jacob - surely the Western Christian world are coming into judgement soon, don't you think? He built up the Assyrians and Babylonians as instruments of punishment against his own people - because they rejected his law and his ways:

Nehemiah 9:29
“You warned them to return to your Law, but they became proud and obstinate and disobeyed your commands. They did not follow your regulations, by which people will find life if only they obey. They stubbornly turned their backs on you and refused to listen."

Perhaps islam expanding into Europe is similar to how Assyria was allowed to grow powerful against the Northern Kingdom? Perhaps Antifa growing in the USA - is similar to how the Babylons overtook the Southern Kingdom? All it takes is one worldwide blackout for the wickedness that's been allowed to grow - to come out of their shell. Klaus Schwab says a blackout would make covid seem like a "small disturbance." No wonder the super wealthy elite, which many are followers of satan, are building bunkers.

Btw - do you notice the "666" in the World Economic Forum's Logo? That tells you whose behind the World Economic Forum. Why do you think the adversary temps the christians to dis-obey the law from the Heavenly Father? So he can accuse us to the Father in Heaven - so then he is granted permission to punish:

Revelation 12:10
For the accuser (satan) of our brothers and sisters has been thrown down to earth— the one who accuses them before our God day and night.

Zechariah 3:1
1 Then the angel showed me Jeshua, the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD. The Accuser, Satan, was there at the angel’s right hand, making accusations against Jeshua. 2 And the LORD said to Satan, “I, the LORD, reject your accusations, Satan. Yes, the LORD, who has chosen Jerusalem, rebukes you.

Job 1:6-22
And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?” 9 Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for no reason? 10 Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.” 12 And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand.” So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

Last edited:
It depends on the region - it's a bit more common in Europe and especially Mexico/South America than the USA.
I never heard such case.
Lawlessness = ignoring or downright rejecting his Holy and Righteous Law. Look at the homosexual law:

Leviticus 20:13
If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense.

Since this law was rejected in favor of Roman/Greco (human) laws -- homosexuality has grown and expanded to transgenderism.
This is in US civil acts of 1964.

State was forbidden freedom of association. In other words discriminationis outlawed. And who exactly decided who is getting discriminated?
State. That's way there is now transgenderism. What is DEI, but a way stop descrimination of some people? And to provide bigger budgets for state bureaucrats tasked with stopping discrimination.

Only problem is that discrimination is must by all people due to lack of resources (not enought for all), morality (adultery for example) and differences between people (not all inborn).

Cause and effect. Blessings for obedience. Curses for dis-obedience. If the Most High judged the House of Jacob - surely the Western Christian world are coming into judgement soon, don't you think? He built up the Assyrians and Babylonians as instruments of punishment against his own people - because they rejected his law and his ways:

Nehemiah 9:29
“You warned them to return to your Law, but they became proud and obstinate and disobeyed your commands. They did not follow your regulations, by which people will find life if only they obey. They stubbornly turned their backs on you and refused to listen."
You need better mechanism which describe why something is happening. If there is no clear mechanism from cause to effect it's pure speculation.
Perhaps islam expanding into Europe is similar to how Assyria was allowed to grow powerful against the Northern Kingdom? Perhaps Antifa growing in the USA - is similar to how the Babylons overtook the Southern Kingdom? All takes is one worldwide blackout for the wickedness that's been allowed to grow - to come out of their shell.
Pure speculation. What is mechanism?

Assyria conquered Israel, not migrated there. Antifa is internal organisation, not foreign army.

Don't worry, none are needed for US destruction. Congress is enough with ever growing deficits. Big enough deficit = massive money printing * = hyperinflation = societal breakdown

Klaus Schwab says a blackout would make covid seem like a "small disturbance"
Klaus needs BS excuse to control Internet. Currently it is growing hemoroids in their ass.

*Not Fed's fault. They have to print according to law, so it's Congress fault. And what "End the Fed" libertarians don't get, ending Fed won't fix problem, but make it worse. One reason is opening path to CBCDs and second is Greenbacks. With Congress addicted to spending without Fed they will just move monetary authority to themselves or President. And with control of interest rate (set to 0% as close as possible) then will spend USA in oblivion.

Last edited:
I never heard such case.
Just type in club and sex trafficking:

This summer, seven young men met a 19-year-old woman at a downtown club. According to the police, they persuaded the bartender to pour her several drinks, encouraged her to smoke marijuana and then took her to an isolated warehouse, where they raped her, beat her and filmed the abuse.

Experts said the numbers in Italy, where 27 percent of women say they have experienced violence, were roughly in line with those of other European countries.

Monogamy only = women without a covering = violence and wickedness perpetuated by a system that on the surface is "feminism + pro women rights." It's a lie. The best thing for a woman is to be under a covering - Jacob had 12 sons through his 12 wives - and that gave his entire household dominion and power through the blessing of the Most High. Especially if they are working in unison - functioning similar to the body of Christ. That's a force to be reckoned with - praise Yeshua's Righteous and Holy Law that protects women and children. Men made laws seem good on the outside - but inside they're full of wickedness. The monogamy only law is a prime example.

2 Corinthians 11:14
And no wonder! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

The way Monogamy only was indoctrinated was through "equality and love." So even satan's laws can be disguised as angels of light. I'm not saying monogamy is bad - but monogamy "only" is wickedness. There are more women then men + some men have an ability to love and take care of more than one women - it denies those men from being able to cover more than one woman (at least legally - they would have to be more wise and quiet because even "Christians" would turn on them).

Last edited:
Back