• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

In what way does God join man and woman together?

raulus

Male
”Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.“
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭19‬:‭6‬

Before the guys get into “the beast with two backs”, I will say that I think it simply means that the woman joins the man and becomes one with his purposes, his life, his goals.
They are no longer two separate people.

Last edited:
Before the guys get into “the beast with two backs”, I will say that I think it simply means that the woman joins the man and becomes one with his purposes, his life, his goals.
Steve, must you always reduce everything to it’s crudest terms?

I see... but in what you've said, where is God involved in the joining?

Steve, must you always reduce everything to it’s crudest terms?
That’s interesting, and distressing.
A quick search will show that the phrase has been used more than a half dozen times in these forums. And not by me.
I don’t agree with it and know that it will be stated, so I wanted to do an end-run around it.

And I’m the one with the thread about cleaning up the language a bit.
Ain’t that somethin.

That’s interesting, and distressing.
A quick search will show that the phrase has been used more than a half dozen times in these forums. And not by me.
I don’t agree with it and know that it will be stated, so I wanted to do an end-run around it.

And I’m the one with the thread about cleaning up the language a bit.
Ain’t that somethin.
🤣 I’m joking Steve, it’s a movie quote.

I guess with Jesus' words what I am also pondering deeper down, is if God is more involved in marriage than we think. Is He personally joining each woman to her husband in marriage? Based off of Christ's words divorce shouldn't be a thing because then we are separating what God Himself has "joined" together. It really is a profound statement. Is that not an implication that God has personally joined those that are in marriage?

I guess with Jesus' words what I am also pondering deeper down, is if God is more involved in marriage than we think. Is He personally joining each woman to her husband in marriage? Based off of Christ's words divorce shouldn't be a thing because then we are separating what God Himself has "joined" together. It really is a profound statement. Is that not an implication that God has personally joined those that are in marriage?
You're right the implication seems deeper. It reminds me of the language of Psalm 139:13 and Job 10:11 although I am not sure that's apples to apples.

We know something of the biological implications of sex, but this seems larger.

You're right the implication seems deeper. It reminds me of the language of Psalm 139:13 and Job 10:11 although I am not sure that's apples to apples.

Bro, exactly! I was actually going to write the parallels between God's involvement with people hand fashioning and knitting them in the womb, and seemingly personally joining, or you could say knitting man and woman together. There seems to be a pattern here to me as well. There are scriptural implications that He is more involved than we think. We're on the exact same page with this one.

I think there's many more verses dealing with this special connection of people in the womb and God that are probably also overlooked. I'll have to do a study on this.

”Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.“
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭1‬:‭4‬-‭5‬

For anyone new that didn't see this thread.

"One flesh a biological perspective" it does offer some insights into the subject.

@PeteR also had an interview video with a Dr that discussed biological aspects of joining. Maybe he can link it since I had trouble finding it and gave up?

So at sex do you believe that God has fused them together spiritually, or that He simply acknowledges them as one whole?
Physically, not spiritually. 1 Corinthians 6:16-17 contrasts the two:
"What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit."

One flesh/body, and one spirit, are two entirely separate but parallel things. We become one body with our wives, and one spirit with our Lord.

Most confusion around marriage is caused by over-spiritualising it. That's why people think that a couple who are living together but haven't had a wedding aren't "married" but only "cohabitating" - because they think marriage is something spiritual that you only get when you are blessed by a priest or whatever. It's not spiritual. It's physical - one flesh, NOT one spirit. The word "flesh" very much means exactly what it says - it's the same word used for meat that you eat. One physical flesh.

Don't look for a spiritual explanation. The word is explicitly physical.

Physically, not spiritually. 1 Corinthians 6:16-17 contrasts the two:
"What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit."

One flesh/body, and one spirit, are two entirely separate but parallel things. We become one body with our wives, and one spirit with our Lord.

Most confusion around marriage is caused by over-spiritualising it. That's why people think that a couple who are living together but haven't had a wedding aren't "married" but only "cohabitating" - because they think marriage is something spiritual that you only get when you are blessed by a priest or whatever. It's not spiritual. It's physical - one flesh, NOT one spirit. The word "flesh" very much means exactly what it says - it's the same word used for meat that you eat. One physical flesh.

Don't look for a spiritual explanation. The word is explicitly physical.
It's physical and when things are functioning properly, produces new little humans known as infants. Somehow God is sovereign and involved in all of it.

So at sex do you believe that God has fused them together spiritually, or that He simply acknowledges them as one whole?

Sex, when done right, can join men and women together spiritually.

I know that's sometimes a difficult concept on a Christian forum to talk about this but it's part of God's Design. And saying this is important if we're going to tell our kids and have them understand why casual and promiscuous sex is such a bad idea.

We are designed to fuse together physically and emotionally and to adopt a godless practice that defines this Design is to invite problems into our lives.

Many covenants are made with blood involved. Look at our Messiah - through his precious blood came the new covenant.

Marriage is also a covenant that's sometimes done in blood (there are exceptions, of course - for example - if the husband dies, then she may re-marry). But when a man takes a woman's virginity - her hymen is broken. There is blood in this one flesh union. Now the man is responsible for marrying her (unless her father denies the marriage), and there is now a covenant between the two done in blood. He's now required to provide her food, clothing, and sexual relations. He's commanded to love her. She's under his covering - under his household - his authority. She in return gives him children (Yah willing), and is a helper for the man + shares in his goals.

I don't think marriage starts when you go inside a church building. Or when she gets pregnant. Or when Ceaser gives you some paperwork confirming your marrage. I think it's done during the one-flesh union between a man and a woman. I've never seen any church preach Exodus 22:16-17:

“If a man seduces a virgin who is not engaged to anyone and has sex with her, he must pay the customary bride price and marry her. 17 But if her father refuses to let him marry her, the man must still pay him an amount equal to the bride price of a virgin.

Fathers - you have authority in your household. Young men - you have responsibilities you must be prepared to undertake if you want to have sex with another woman. But our culture encourages sleeping around and marriage only if she gets pregnant - and there are many ways to go around that too (birth control pills, condoms, abortions).

Last edited:
Sex, when done right, can join men and women together spiritually.
Not so much a response to @MeganC but rather to everybody who thinks "one flesh" is spiritual, I'd like to suggest looking at the bolded phrase from a Socratic perspective: Define your terms.
  • What do you mean by spiritual? Define it fully without circular reasoning (e.g. if your definition is "anything to do with a spirit" then you still haven't defined what a "spirit" is, so the definition is not complete and somewhat circular).
  • What do you mean by join? With reference to your above definition of "spiritually".
Each of the above definitions should be only one sentence long in the style of a dictionary definition (ok, 3 sentences if you're struggling - but not an essay).

And then, from an exegetic perspective:
  • Where in scripture does it say that a couple are joined spiritually in the way described in your above definition?
I am well aware that I have asked a very difficult question, that you could spend pages talking about - but I'm explicitly not asking for an essay. If you can only write an essay and cannot explain it more succinctly than that, you probably don't actually understand what you mean as well as you think you do. If you understand it clearly you should be able to answer this in three sentences - one per bullet point.

Can anyone do it?

Back