• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is Concubinage Fornication?

I have been getting thru my research topics related to Polygyny in the bible but I came across a fascinating issue. If concubines were allowed in the Torah why were those men with concubines not accused of fornication? Supposedly any sex outside of marriage is fornication but I am starting to lean towards fornication actually being sex without the intention of providing for, covering and having a relationship for life.

Even tho they are not married they would still form a one flesh union and be treated in much the same way as a wife, being loyal only to one man. So clearly sex outside of marriage is not a sin if it's with a concubine and an intention to marry is not even required.

Do anyone have any thoughts about concubinage or what fornication actually is?
I disagree strongly with the consensus on this issue. Concubines are not wives as this would present a whole host of contradictions in regards to God's laws. Concubines biblically speaking are women who are slaves. The story of the Levite and the concubine is a good example that a concubine could be offered willingly to a guest to have sex with as a form of hospitality you could never do this with a wife as this would be adultery. In the story of Lot in Sodom he offered up his daughters he did not offer up his wife as this is adultery hence why he is called righteous for not breaking God's laws.

Having sex with another man's concubine without his permission was a sin according to the law but you are not put to death God made this rather explicit in Leviticus. Since slavery is outlawed everywhere there is no longer such a thing as a concubine biblically speaking.

Also Augustine was given a concubine by the Christians we when he went to learn in Alexandria.

If this is in reference to Exo 22:16-17, then I think the prescribed process would only apply if the woman in question had been a virgin before the affair.

I would think that it would depend on how closely her status as concubine lines up with the status of a wife. For example; I believe it is lawful a woman meeting certain criteria to work as a harlot. And if that's the case, then suppose the concubine in question is a woman who could lawfully be a harlot, but who is simply continuing with a man while it suited her. In her case, I would think there is no process of separation other than she walking out.. just as a harlot could.
Prostitution was legal in ancient Israel it was regulated it's not a sin. Provided it's not breaking any of God's other laws.

The story of the Levite and the concubine is a good example that a concubine could be offered willingly to a guest to have sex with as a form of hospitality you could never do this with a wife as this would be adultery.
The book of Judges records history, during a time of anarchy when God's laws were being widely ignored. Because:
"In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes." (Judges 21:25)

Yes, one man treated his concubine this way. In no way does the account ever say that God approves of this treatment of a concubine, or even that it was a normal way for a concubine to be treated. It was a sinful and cowardly response to a very difficult situation (the man was afraid of a mob that wanted to gang-rape him, and selfishly sacrificed his concubine to save his own skin). Description is not prescription.
Concubines are not wives as this would present a whole host of contradictions in regards to God's laws. Concubines biblically speaking are women who are slaves.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying it is acceptable to have a sexual relationship with a slavewoman, but you can't consider her your "wife"? Because that would be a far more controversial proposal than anyone else has made.

The book of Judges records history, during a time of anarchy when God's laws were being widely ignored. Because:
"In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes." (Judges 21:25)

Yes, one man treated his concubine this way. In no way does the account ever say that God approves of this treatment of a concubine, or even that it was a normal way for a concubine to be treated. It was a sinful and cowardly response to a very difficult situation (the man was afraid of a mob that wanted to gang-rape him, and selfishly sacrificed his concubine to save his own skin). Description is not prescription.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying it is acceptable to have a sexual relationship with a slavewoman, but you can't consider her your "wife"? Because that would be a far more controversial proposal than anyone else has made.
“’If a man sleeps with a female slave who is promised to another man but who has not been ransomed or given her freedom, there must be due punishment. Yet they are not to be put to death, because she had not been freed. Leviticus 19:20

’If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death. Leviticus 20:10

When you buy a Hebrew slave,a he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master’s, and he shall go out alone. Exodus 21:2-4

These scriptures and there are also others, demonstrate that there is a difference between a woman who is a slave which is a concubine and a woman who is free which is a wife. Are you suggesting that a concubine is also a wife that can be passed around by her master to another slave. Have children with her and passed around to another man or he (the master) can have sex with her himself? All the while ignoring the fact that having sex with another man's wife is adultery which led to death.

The differences between a woman who is free and a woman who is a slave are stark and cannot be ignored. How would you explain these differences in God's law?

@faithinhim, you are conflating two very separate things - whether a woman is a man's sexual partner (wife / concubine), and whether she is a slave. These are completely independent.
These scriptures and there are also others, demonstrate that there is a difference between a woman who is a slave which is a concubine and a woman who is free which is a wife.
You are ignoring the cases of a slave who is NOT a concubine, and a free woman who is NOT a wife. You are assuming all slaves are concubines, and all free women are wives, and that is making the whole thing confusing to you when it really is quite simple.
Are you suggesting that a concubine is also a wife that can be passed around by her master to another slave.
Of course not. Exodus 21:2-4 is describing the case of a man who owns many slaves, both men and women, most of whom are not his personal concubines. And he gives one of his female slaves (not his own concubine, just the slave he bought to milk the goats) to one of his male slaves to be that slave's wife. Ignoring the whole slavery issue (a large can of worms), and just thinking about the issue of sexual partnership - this woman is only ever the sexual partner of one man. She is only ever the wife / concubine / whatever term you prefer of one man - the male slave.

But she still has a fixed-term-contract job - she is the woman who milks the goats, she's bound to keep doing that job (in slavery terms, she is the financial property of the master, he owns her labour). So the male slave can't just leave and take her away from her employment. He has the choice between leaving himself with her remaining at her job, or them both remaining in the employment of their master.

The relationship between master and slavewoman in this case is simply a financial matter. She is never described as the master's concubine, or wife, nor is the slightest hint given that she has a sexual relationship with him. It has nothing to do with sex, I do not know why you have got the idea that this woman is a concubine. She is clearly described as the wife of a male slave, not the concubine of her master.
The differences between a woman who is free and a woman who is a slave are stark and cannot be ignored. How would you explain these differences in God's law?
The very passage you have quoted actually contradicts your point. Exodus 21:4, states "If his master gives him a wife". Why is this woman called a "wife"? Surely if all slaves are concubines, this would say "if his master have given him a concubine". Is this slavewoman truly a wife, or is she not a slavewoman? Or is there not as clear a difference as you were assuming?

The very passage you have quoted actually contradicts your point. Exodus 21:4, states "If his master gives him a wife". Why is this woman called a "wife"?
Caution: Hebrew doesn’t use a specific word for wife, he gave her a woman. Apparently to be the slaves woman, in English wife.
But your point is made, not all slave women are concubines and certainly not all concubines were from slavery. That is an assumption because of several examples that were slaves first.

@faithinhim, it’s been hashed over and rehashed on this site: THERE IS NO BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF CONCUBINE. Period.
No one gets to speak with authority about the definition. The only thing that can be proven is that a class of wives were known as concubines.

Caution: Hebrew doesn’t use a specific word for wife, he gave her a woman.
Absolutely. I was deliberately sticking with the terminology @faithinhim is using and disputing. But this is crucial to understand, because it also helps to greatly simplify the matter.

I disagree strongly with the consensus on this issue. Concubines are not wives as this would present a whole host of contradictions in regards to God's laws. Concubines biblically speaking are women who are slaves. The story of the Levite and the concubine is a good example that a concubine could be offered willingly to a guest to have sex with as a form of hospitality you could never do this with a wife as this would be adultery. In the story of Lot in Sodom he offered up his daughters he did not offer up his wife as this is adultery hence why he is called righteous for not breaking God's laws.

Having sex with another man's concubine without his permission was a sin according to the law but you are not put to death God made this rather explicit in Leviticus. Since slavery is outlawed everywhere there is no longer such a thing as a concubine biblically speaking.

Also Augustine was given a concubine by the Christians we when he went to learn in Alexandria.
I’m going to need to see some scripture references in this one. Can you back any of this up?

The only thing that can be proven is that a class of wives were known as concubines.

I agree. And in the modern context where slavery is not allowed either by law or by the collective church then a concubine can be seen as someone who has sex with the man of the house, she has his babies, she shares his covering, but she does not (yet) have the rights of a wife.

My own path or journey in poly bears witness to this.

I joined my family and my very first duty was to have sex and have babies. I also did a lot of chores to help the family and justify the money the family was spending on me.

Then I had babies and my connection and commitment to my husband and family were clear and I became a plural or junior wife. I was not equal to the first wife and despite any assertions to the contrary this was reality.

In time I became the legal first wife and my role changed yet again. Unlike the others in the house I get to sign for things. People look to me for wisdom (which can be scary), and people look to me to settle disputes.

But it all started with that first step where I was just the girl in the house that Steve had sex with. Pretty much just a concubine.

Can you give me an example from scripture that a man that offered his concubine for sex is sin?

Absolutely. I was deliberately sticking with the terminology @faithinhim is using and disputing. But this is crucial to understand, because it also helps to greatly simplify the matter.
I think we would all agree that just because a word from the Hebrew or Greek is translated "wife" it does not mean that it is an actual wife. What actual proof from scripture can you give me to prove that it is an actual wife?

@faithinhim knowing that the specific word wife doesn't appear in original hebrew scriptures, can you share your clear concise definition of "wife" according to original hebraic understanding of scripture, with scriptures, thanks.

@faithinhim, you are conflating two very separate things - whether a woman is a man's sexual partner (wife / concubine), and whether she is a slave. These are completely independent.
Are you telling me that every woman that has a sexual partner is either a wife or a concubine? A woman can easily be a slave and a sexual partner at the same time.
You are ignoring the cases of a slave who is NOT a concubine, and a free woman who is NOT a wife. You are assuming all slaves are concubines, and all free women are wives, and that is making the whole thing confusing to you when it really is quite simple.
I was simplifying things I've mentioned on more than one occasion on this website that prostitution is not a sin and was legal in ancient Israel. So you're saying that a master who buys a female slave cannot have sex with her? Where in scripture is this law at?
Of course not. Exodus 21:2-4 is describing the case of a man who owns many slaves, both men and women, most of whom are not his personal concubines. And he gives one of his female slaves (not his own concubine, just the slave he bought to milk the goats) to one of his male slaves to be that slave's wife. Ignoring the whole slavery issue (a large can of worms), and just thinking about the issue of sexual partnership - this woman is only ever the sexual partner of one man. She is only ever the wife / concubine / whatever term you prefer of one man - the male slave.
Where is the scripture that says most of whom are not his concubines? You are making a lot of assumptions here and I will be honest I'm making some assumptions as well what this comes down to is who's opinion harmonizes best with scripture.
But she still has a fixed-term-contract job - she is the woman who milks the goats, she's bound to keep doing that job (in slavery terms, she is the financial property of the master, he owns her labour). So the male slave can't just leave and take her away from her employment. He has the choice between leaving himself with her remaining at her job, or them both remaining in the employment of their master.
Scripture only mentions a fixed term contract only for Hebrew men which is 7 years. It explicitly says that a female slave does not go out free. Exodus 21:7 When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go free as male slaves do.
The relationship between master and slavewoman in this case is simply a financial matter. She is never described as the master's concubine, or wife, nor is the slightest hint given that she has a sexual relationship with him. It has nothing to do with sex, I do not know why you have got the idea that this woman is a concubine. She is clearly described as the wife of a male slave, not the concubine of her master.
A lot more assumptions here again where does Scripture say that a man that buys a female slave cannot have sex with her? Where is the scripture that says this relationship is only financial? Now scripture is clear a man that is already married that goes into slavery keeps his wife and the master cannot have sex with her because it is adultery.
The very passage you have quoted actually contradicts your point. Exodus 21:4, states "If his master gives him a wife". Why is this woman called a "wife"? Surely if all slaves are concubines, this would say "if his master have given him a concubine". Is this slavewoman truly a wife, or is she not a slavewoman? Or is there not as clear a difference as you were assuming?
When a man who is a Slave is given a woman to have sex with scripture plainly states that that woman belongs to her master not the man who had sex with her and all the children belong to his master not him. Therefore, the context is telling us that this woman is not the slave's wife she belongs to her master who gave her to his male slave to have sex with.

Let's say I lived in ancient Israel I own a male slave I buy a female slave for my male slave they have three children by the time his 7 years are up. He has a choice he can go free or he can live the rest of his life as a slave to stay with my female slave and his biological children. She is not his wife she never was his wife she belongs to her master, in this case she would belong to me. She is not to go free like the male slaves. There is no 7-year contract with female slaves. Now I could be nice and let her go free or I could even sell her to another man or even give her to another one of my male slaves but the choice is mine as the master.

And yes I could even offer her up to a guest or guests to have sex with as a form of hospitality as was the custom in ancient times. Which is what the Levite attempted to do to deescalate the situation.

We all know that slavery was legal in ancient Israel and it was regulated certain things could not be done. A slave who was mistreated due to a Serious injury could go free. Why is there no law which states that a master cannot have sex with his female slave?

@faithinhim, you are inventing a whole cloud of ideas out of your own mind, and then asking us to disprove it. I won't address all of it in this post as we're going to keep talking at cross-purposes until you clarify something very important.
Therefore, the context is telling us that this woman is not the slave's wife she belongs to her master who gave her to his male slave to have sex with.
But scripture says she is his wife:
If his master gives him a wife
So what do you mean when you say "wife"? As @JudahYAHites has asked also. This really is the heart of where you're getting mixed up - you have your own idea of what a "wife" is, which you have not explained, and then you are claiming slaves are not this thing even when scripture seems to clearly say the opposite. So what is the thing that they are not? Clarify what you mean, then we can discuss further.

I agree. And in the modern context where slavery is not allowed either by law or by the collective church then a concubine can be seen as someone who has sex with the man of the house, she has his babies, she shares his covering, but she does not (yet) have the rights of a wife.

My own path or journey in poly bears witness to this.

I joined my family and my very first duty was to have sex and have babies. I also did a lot of chores to help the family and justify the money the family was spending on me.

Then I had babies and my connection and commitment to my husband and family were clear and I became a plural or junior wife. I was not equal to the first wife and despite any assertions to the contrary this was reality.

In time I became the legal first wife and my role changed yet again. Unlike the others in the house I get to sign for things. People look to me for wisdom (which can be scary), and people look to me to settle disputes.

But it all started with that first step where I was just the girl in the house that Steve had sex with. Pretty much just a concubine.
What are the rights of a wife? This is something else I need to see scripture on.

I was simplifying things I've mentioned on more than one occasion on this website that prostitution is not a sin and was legal in ancient Israel. So you're saying that a master who buys a female slave cannot have sex with her? Where in scripture is this law at?
He doesn't have to have sex with female slave. Not all female slave would be bought for sex.

40 year old woman can still be bought for house work and not used for sex.

Don't use assumption female slave == used for sex

Last edited:
What are the rights of a wife? This is something else I need to see scripture on.

I don't recall there being any Scripture on trusts, bank accounts, titles to equipment, or etc. yet they are very real and sometimes you have to be the man's legal wife to sign for such things.

Back