• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is My Wife Ready For Plural Marriage?

FollowingHim2

Women's Ministry
Staff member
Real Person
Female
Problem: How do you know if your wife is ready for plural marriage?
Answer: She's not.
Solution: Don't do it.

But, how do you know if your wife is ready? Well, not if she says she is, as strange as that sounds. The pattern that I've noticed, is that for most women they take a while to come around. Once they've grasped the biblical knowledge of PM, they then need to grasp the idea of it happening in their home, and that's a whole other thing to deal with. This could take years of back and forth. Sometimes they want another wife in the house, and other times they want to make sure their hubby would never ever bring someone else in.

Preparing for PM is like preparing for a baby. So, you want to have a baby. You read all the books, you set up a room for the baby, you prepare as much as you can. You buy all the baby things you think you need and you listen to all the advice you can (and try to figure out what is right because it's often contradictory). Then you get pregnant, and the pregnancy is much harder than you thought it would be. The morning sickness doesn't seem to stop like the books said it would at 12 weeks, and they don't talk about all the pain you have just from baby turning around inside you. Labour kicks in and it's nothing like anyone described. Then you have a baby. A tiny little newborn baby that you don't know what to do with! All those books don't help. All that advice doesn't help. All the latest gadgets you bought don't help. Nothing could actually prepare you for what it was going to be like to have a newborn, just how hard it was, how much you had to rely on God and your husband to get you through it, how you realised that you truly knew nothing. Because your baby never read the books. Your baby is an individual with their own needs. You find that you aren't the mother you thought you would be, you lose your cool sometimes, and sleep deprivation is far more toxic than you ever realised.

And so it is with plural marriage. You might spend all the time preparing, and you think you know what it will be like, and you think that you have read all the books and got all the advice and you'll be able to do it better than others. But then another woman came along and she's nothing like what you had planned. She's her own individual person and she didn't read the books you did. You find you aren't as calm as you thought you'd be, and sometimes you lose it. You find that there are some really deep down insecurities that you had no idea existed that have now come up to say hello, and you don't know what to do with them. This was a hundred times harder than you ever imagined.

You see, to know if your wife is ready for plural marriage, is not to know if she is ready to have another woman in the house, or whether she's ready to share you. It's definitely not knowing that she's understood it's OK biblically. It's knowing that she's in a place where she's ready and able to go through the fire and come out the other side without being destroyed.
Read that again. It is not about her being accepting of plural marriage, it's about her being willing and able to go through great hardship and difficulty and survive it.
If there is any doubt that she is ready, that she could handle it, then don't do it.
There are too many failures. Too many people rushing something that takes much longer than you think. Too many people not knowing how difficult it really is, and that that difficulty is normal and will take you to an amazing place, if you have the strength, courage, and ability to ride it out.

One other thing they don't tell you in baby books. No one, no words written or spoken, no images, can ever describe to you the love you will feel when you look at your newborn baby in your arms. You can't possibly know until you experience it. I understand it's the same with plural marriage, there is much joy and love to be experienced, something that can't be understood until you're there in it.

You see, to know if your wife is ready for plural marriage, is not to know if she is ready to have another woman in the house, or whether she's ready to share you. It's definitely not knowing that she's understood it's OK biblically. It's knowing that she's in a place where she's ready and able to go through the fire and come out the other side without being destroyed.
Read that again. It is not about her being accepting of plural marriage, it's about her being willing and able to go through great hardship and difficulty and survive it.

@FollowingHim2 That whole post was solid gold! The wives that are the most excited for plural marriage are the ones that give me pause with rare exceptions. From what I’ve seen, that usually means that someone hasn’t put in the time or the hard work to process all of the pros and cons that come with a plural marriage. Usually because as a couple they don’t know what they don’t know.

There are so many hard, difficult mental battles that this process demands of both the husband and wife. It is a transformational catalyst unlike anything else I’ve ever seen. Rushing the process is like shooting an unopened soda as opposed to opening it and sipping slowly.

There are those wives who are exceptions and are genuinely excited to welcome another woman into the home. And yet even with those, there is still a transformation process that they must undergo because things will change. There are still issues that they will struggle with.

IMO there must be a vision and a cause greater than the whims of change that give her something to hold onto and plant her feet upon a solid foundation that will not change or move with the passing of time and tests. She must be the type who is willing to follow her man thru hell with a squirt gun and have his back no matter what or who opposes them. One who is determined to follow and stick and stay no matter what.

Your pregnancy and labor analogy is so apt, and as you said, it is a process that very naturally takes time. It has its own rhythm and rhyme and unique sequence of events. For many people finding a match may be much like conception where for some its very difficult to conceive, and easy to carry. For others its easy to conceive and difficult to carry. Still others make it thru the process thru sheer grit and determination regardless of how much morning sickness they have to experience. Others are ready to call it quits and abort at the first signs of a serious match.

The ones who make it thru the pregnancy with the least amount of turmoil and grief will be the ones who have made certain that their bodies and relationship are as healthy as its possible to physically be. This couple will have prepared before conception with prenatal vitamins and research. They will have a mutual vision and a goal and a prize that they press towards by laying aside every weight that would possibly hinder and they have diligently disciplined their mind and body for the process ahead and have an unshakeable faith that His ways and thoughts are higher than ours could ever be and that He has a reason and a purpose for putting us through these incredibly difficult labor pains.

Husbands, don’t make the mistake that just because she knows its a biblically accepted family structure, that this equates to her being capable of surviving the fire, or willing to walk thru it with you!

Wives, prepare yourselves! Put on the whole armor of God, discipline yourself to exercise the fruits of the spirit. Prepare your heart to walk thru the fires and labor pains that may lie ahead.

Single’s, beware the overly exuberant! Everyone is excited to finally find someone that seems to be a good match. But if someone seems to be too open and exuberant, that may be an indication that they aren’t seasoned or tempered in the process yet. Ask questions. Find out if they’ve had failures and trials before and ask them to share those with you. Ask about their vision and goals for the family. If their vision only extends as far as a ceremony, that reminds me of the neighbors dog that chases cars, but wouldn’t know how to drive one if he caught it! IF you find a family that seems to be a great match, but they’re not quite prepared yet, be ready to slow down and give them time. Don’t be so quick to rush off to find a perfect couple that’s ready. You’ll probably find that you’re not as ready as you think you are also.

Everyone in the relationship needs to mentally prepare for the last bit of labor pains. From what I’ve heard from quite a few, this is the moment that is the most difficult to push thru. It’s brutal and painful and will stretch you beyond anything else you’ve ever experienced! And yet the potential that’s waiting on the other side is beyond understanding!

Apologies for the long post. May God our Father, bless each of us and keep us firmly grounded in His love as we endeavor to follow His leading, to the best of our abilities.

Problem: How do you know if your wife is ready for plural marriage?

You can't possibly know until you experience it.

@FollowingHim2: very beautiful and insightful post. You really covered all the bases.

The thought I was left with was that the Boy Scout motto, 'Be Prepared,' is in order -- but what I also learned in the Scouts was that, no matter how thoroughly one prepares for a new experience, there is no way to be entirely ready until one has already completely engaged in the experience. Waiting to be ready is thus often used as an excuse to entirely avoid some of the most rewarding experiences life has to offer us.

Exceptional post, @FollowingHim2 and terrific follow-up comments.

As with labor and delivery, there is a point at which it is entirely outside of our control. The key is to be prepared then let the FATHER do His thing. As previously asserted in the thread, if we run ahead of Him, we potentially force the baby to be delivered prematurely, thus endangering it.

We must seek and trust the Father first, believing He brought us to this understanding for a purpose and a timetable for His plan. I.e., PATIENCE! And, trust...

He is doing something in us and our generation which we should be loath to rush, damage or short circuit.

Preparing for PM is like preparing for a baby. So, you want to have a baby.
Well, I love your post @FollowingHim2 but just have to point out that some don't want babies.....or they think they don't. Many women didn't prepare or plan, but their hearts and lives end up changed for the better by the beautiful perfect gift of a child.

I've seen all kinds of examples of "unplanned polyhood" show up at sites over the years. They could make someone like me feel like the poly equivalent of an infertile woman!

Wives, prepare yourselves! Put on the whole armor of God, discipline yourself to exercise the fruits of the spirit. Prepare your heart to walk thru the fires and labor pains that may lie

Good advice! Though armor sounds insulating and less hospitable to me (think less hugable) in a relationship anology.
Truth is like the structure of your family "house" that will support the shelter and protect those inside even through the shaking of an earthquake! Poly is letting someone else into the house.

Labor changes many a woman's inhibitions and modesty level. Some like an audience when they are in labor and invite the neighbors (post their story including er... ummm details on online forums!), some only want their closest and most trusted intimate companions to see them go through it all.

Love is what families are made of. Love is what allows us to conceive and grow our family. Remembering we cannot do it alone is what keeps us connected to the love of God, and from kicking our family member out ....of our house, our hearts....or the room when we are in labor!

The thought I was left with was that the Boy Scout motto, 'Be Prepared,' is in order -- but what I also learned in the Scouts was that, no matter how thoroughly one prepares for a new experience, there is no way to be entirely ready until one has already completely engaged in the experience. Waiting to be ready is thus often used as an excuse to entirely avoid some of the most rewarding experiences life has to offer us.
So true!
Sadly now the boy scouts now let girls in. I shudder to think how might that change the packing list for the modern scout going on a campout! Instead of preparing young men to rely on previously acquired knowlege and God when facing the world, they will be thinking "That girl sure did a good job of packing all the comforts of home....I think I'll skip learning wilderness survival and just stay in her tent!" Or maybe "I admire her so much! I should see if she can show me how she fit all that stuff in that bag, oh! and do my nails like that!!" (Observing scout to friend "Is that a boy scout or girl scout?" Friend: "I'm not sure. Does it matter?")

I always liked the 4H moto "learn by doing" because it is usually only when you attempt something that you realize what you actually need help with. :)

So now that I have feasted on the wisdom here in the forum, I'm going to toss out the contraception, and prepare for what I cannot really imagine, by doing what I've always done! :D
This is obviously how we got a big biblical family! :p

This last bit is of course all metaphor (for those that don't know me) and this post is an example of my "summer season" usually very busy brain when it is allowed to relax and write a ramble.

Preparing for PM is like preparing for a baby.

This analogy only makes me think I should've gotten a second wife years ago before my wife 'was ready'. I hear lots of young couples putting off having a baby 'until their ready'. So many people who put it off until it was too late. No ones really ever ready. It's a trial by fire kind of thing; something that forces you to change, grow, and acquire the knowledge needed to pull it off.

This analogy only makes me think I should've gotten a second wife years ago before my wife 'was ready'. I hear lots of young couples putting off having a baby 'until their ready'. So many people who put it off until it was too late. No ones really ever ready. It's a trial by fire kind of thing; something that forces you to change, grow, and acquire the knowledge needed to pull it off.
I'd like your post dear but I'm not sure about how I feel about that... maybe I'll think about it in another month or so when the pregnancy hormones are fully worn off... lol ;):p

Well, I love your post @FollowingHim2 but just have to point out that some don't want babies.....or they think they don't. Many women didn't prepare or plan, but their hearts and lives end up changed for the better by the beautiful perfect gift of a child.

I've seen all kinds of examples of "unplanned polyhood" show up at sites over the years. They could make someone like me feel like the poly equivalent of an infertile woman!
If God gives you a second woman and makes it abundantly clear that you are to take her, then it's the right time, even if it doesn't feel like it. Obey. "Unplanned polyhood" will still be difficult but will work out abundantly better than the consequences of disobedience.

However, for those trying to pursue this under their own steam - I think that Sarah's talking about the fundamental problem underlying most failures in polygamy. Pay attention to it. So many failures are "my wife said it was ok - and then she left, and I can't understand why she changed". The problem is that she was never ready in the first place, whatever she might have said. The goal is not to get your wife to agree mentally with polygamy, but to husband her, to tend her to grow in all ways, to become stronger to face every problem - and that is good advice even if you never take a second wife.

The goal is not to get your wife to agree mentally with polygamy, but to husband her, to tend her to grow in all ways, to become stronger to face every problem - and that is good advice even if you never take a second wife.

A like wasn’t sufficient. Excellent sir!

Solid Gold.
Why isn’t this pinned already?

"Unplanned polyhood" can also be the result of your own error. For instance, a man has an affair and then realises that he now needs to take this woman on as his wife.
Before the affair, God's instructions to him (had he listened) would probably have been "don't do it".
But having done it anyway, God's instructions now are likely "well you shouldn't have done that - but now keep her".

The key thing is to find out "God, what would you have me do today". And those instructions might be different to what He would have had you do yesterday, especially if you didn't listen earlier.

If you use a GPS unit to navigate somewhere, and you follow the track it says from the start of the journey, you'll get to the destination most efficiently and quickly.
If you disobey the instructions and go off-track, it will say "recalculating - now do this". The new instructions may be different to the old ones, but will be the best route from where you are now. If it's only a very minor mistake the instructions might be "do a u-turn" and get back onto the original track, but usually the new route will be at least slightly different to the old one - but still the best route.
If you go way off-track, you might even change the best destination - if you were going to the supermarket, you might now be closer to a different supermarket and the best route might be to go there instead. But it will still be the ideal route from where you are now.

Always, the first route will be the most efficient. But also, when you've gone off-track, the sooner you realise it and start following the instructions the shorter your drive will be.

God's plans for our lives are the same. He has the best plan for you from where you are today. But if you don't follow that plan, He'll have another plan that is the best plan for you from wherever you end up tomorrow. By definition it cannot be as good as the plan He had yesterday, because that was the best plan and you did something else. The end result might even be different to the end result He originally intended for you. But it will be the best option you have today.
And if you stuff up again, there'll be another plan tomorrow. Unless you're dead, which is a real risk and why it is best to follow His plan today...

God's plans for our lives are the same. He has the best plan

So very true. But we walk this narrow path by faith - which may not necessarily mean we planned polyhood but God did, and He gets us there anyway. Either way, like babies, it's only truly learnt as you go. There isn't anything better than just doing it - making babies or taking wives. ;)

"Unplanned polyhood" can also be the result of your own error. For instance, a man has an affair and then realises that he now needs to take this woman on as his wife.
Before the affair, God's instructions to him (had he listened) would probably have been "don't do it".
But having done it anyway, God's instructions now are likely "well you shouldn't have done that - but now keep her".

The key thing is to find out "God, what would you have me do today". And those instructions might be different to what He would have had you do yesterday, especially if you didn't listen earlier.

If you use a GPS unit to navigate somewhere, and you follow the track it says from the start of the journey, you'll get to the destination most efficiently and quickly.
If you disobey the instructions and go off-track, it will say "recalculating - now do this". The new instructions may be different to the old ones, but will be the best route from where you are now. If it's only a very minor mistake the instructions might be "do a u-turn" and get back onto the original track, but usually the new route will be at least slightly different to the old one - but still the best route.
If you go way off-track, you might even change the best destination - if you were going to the supermarket, you might now be closer to a different supermarket and the best route might be to go there instead. But it will still be the ideal route from where you are now.

Always, the first route will be the most efficient. But also, when you've gone off-track, the sooner you realise it and start following the instructions the shorter your drive will be.

God's plans for our lives are the same. He has the best plan for you from where you are today. But if you don't follow that plan, He'll have another plan that is the best plan for you from wherever you end up tomorrow. By definition it cannot be as good as the plan He had yesterday, because that was the best plan and you did something else. The end result might even be different to the end result He originally intended for you. But it will be the best option you have today.
And if you stuff up again, there'll be another plan tomorrow. Unless you're dead, which is a real risk and why it is best to follow His plan today...

Are you saying God is giving you audible turn by turn directions through your life?

I was wondering if it would be ok to share some of the advice from this thread with a Facebook group that I am a part of? The Torah base polygyny rooted in the Messiah and patriarchy

Are you suggesting that those of us whose wives have not accepted it, should go ahead and do it anyway?

Back