• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is My Wife Ready For Plural Marriage?

Even if you’ve spent years preparing your first wife for the addition of a second wife... and even if she shows great progress and promise and is “on board” .. a man MUST know and fully understand that she may not be able to truly endure the transition!!!
It is therefore a question a man must ask himself beforehand... “Could I handle losing my first wife if I choose to follow the Lord’s leading and take another wife?” ... count the cost ! Who do you serve? Christ? Or your first wife?
Hard words I know !

Even if you’ve spent years preparing your first wife for the addition of a second wife... and even if she shows great progress and promise and is “on board” .. a man MUST know and fully understand that she may not be able to truly endure the transition!!!
It is therefore a question a man must ask himself beforehand... “Could I handle losing my first wife if I choose to follow the Lord’s leading and take another wife?” ... count the cost ! Who do you serve? Christ? Or your first wife?
Hard words I know !
I suppose those of us who have introduced this concept to our wives, have already taken on a huge risk to begin with, knowing that they could have left us, taken the kids, and sued for Child Support at the outset.

Problem: How do you know if your wife is ready for plural marriage?
Answer: She's not.
Solution: Don't do it.

But, how do you know if your wife is ready? Well, not if she says she is, as strange as that sounds. The pattern that I've noticed, is that for most women they take a while to come around. Once they've grasped the biblical knowledge of PM, they then need to grasp the idea of it happening in their home, and that's a whole other thing to deal with. This could take years of back and forth. Sometimes they want another wife in the house, and other times they want to make sure their hubby would never ever bring someone else in.

Preparing for PM is like preparing for a baby. So, you want to have a baby. You read all the books, you set up a room for the baby, you prepare as much as you can. You buy all the baby things you think you need and you listen to all the advice you can (and try to figure out what is right because it's often contradictory). Then you get pregnant, and the pregnancy is much harder than you thought it would be. The morning sickness doesn't seem to stop like the books said it would at 12 weeks, and they don't talk about all the pain you have just from baby turning around inside you. Labour kicks in and it's nothing like anyone described. Then you have a baby. A tiny little newborn baby that you don't know what to do with! All those books don't help. All that advice doesn't help. All the latest gadgets you bought don't help. Nothing could actually prepare you for what it was going to be like to have a newborn, just how hard it was, how much you had to rely on God and your husband to get you through it, how you realised that you truly knew nothing. Because your baby never read the books. Your baby is an individual with their own needs. You find that you aren't the mother you thought you would be, you lose your cool sometimes, and sleep deprivation is far more toxic than you ever realised.

And so it is with plural marriage. You might spend all the time preparing, and you think you know what it will be like, and you think that you have read all the books and got all the advice and you'll be able to do it better than others. But then another woman came along and she's nothing like what you had planned. She's her own individual person and she didn't read the books you did. You find you aren't as calm as you thought you'd be, and sometimes you lose it. You find that there are some really deep down insecurities that you had no idea existed that have now come up to say hello, and you don't know what to do with them. This was a hundred times harder than you ever imagined.

You see, to know if your wife is ready for plural marriage, is not to know if she is ready to have another woman in the house, or whether she's ready to share you. It's definitely not knowing that she's understood it's OK biblically. It's knowing that she's in a place where she's ready and able to go through the fire and come out the other side without being destroyed.
Read that again. It is not about her being accepting of plural marriage, it's about her being willing and able to go through great hardship and difficulty and survive it.
If there is any doubt that she is ready, that she could handle it, then don't do it.
There are too many failures. Too many people rushing something that takes much longer than you think. Too many people not knowing how difficult it really is, and that that difficulty is normal and will take you to an amazing place, if you have the strength, courage, and ability to ride it out.

One other thing they don't tell you in baby books. No one, no words written or spoken, no images, can ever describe to you the love you will feel when you look at your newborn baby in your arms. You can't possibly know until you experience it. I understand it's the same with plural marriage, there is much joy and love to be experienced, something that can't be understood until you're there in it.
Sounds exactly like getting married for the first time. I guess the 2nd time around people forget what it was like the first time.

Amen and amen. So like making babies ;); just do it. Take that woman; propose to that man, and stand firm in the ensuing struggles. It's totally worth it.
The big difference is that the baby won't run away, while the second wife might quite when it gets tough.

Sounds exactly like getting married for the first time. I guess the 2nd time around people forget what it was like the first time.
Same is true for children. You have one baby and think how could I ever put myself through this again. But 2 years later you forget the pain and have a 2nd child, and then find that all the lessons you learned from the first child don't help so much with the 2nd, because every child is different.

The big difference is that the baby won't run away, while the second wife might quite when it gets tough.
It's sad but some of those babies do grow up and run away, and so do some wives; monogamy-only wives or poly wives. Whether you have only one child or one wife, each is still a sinner and each is just as capable of sinning - same as any of us.

Excellent point!

Our church/congregation/thingy places a lot of importance on a new plural wife getting pregnant right away to seal her to her family. While it doesn't always work I will say that most of the time it definitely does. In my own experience I had massive doubts at first even though it was something I really wanted (I plead female on this!) and while I had doubts and misgivings (and a lack of faith) the very sobering reality of twins on the way definitely committed me to my husband and family.

Just something to think about if you decide to add to your family.

Problem: How do you know if your wife is ready for plural marriage?
Answer: She's not.
Solution: Don't do it.

But, how do you know if your wife is ready? Well, not if she says she is, as strange as that sounds. The pattern that I've noticed, is that for most women they take a while to come around. Once they've grasped the biblical knowledge of PM, they then need to grasp the idea of it happening in their home, and that's a whole other thing to deal with. This could take years of back and forth. Sometimes they want another wife in the house, and other times they want to make sure their hubby would never ever bring someone else in.

Preparing for PM is like preparing for a baby. So, you want to have a baby. You read all the books, you set up a room for the baby, you prepare as much as you can. You buy all the baby things you think you need and you listen to all the advice you can (and try to figure out what is right because it's often contradictory). Then you get pregnant, and the pregnancy is much harder than you thought it would be. The morning sickness doesn't seem to stop like the books said it would at 12 weeks, and they don't talk about all the pain you have just from baby turning around inside you. Labour kicks in and it's nothing like anyone described. Then you have a baby. A tiny little newborn baby that you don't know what to do with! All those books don't help. All that advice doesn't help. All the latest gadgets you bought don't help. Nothing could actually prepare you for what it was going to be like to have a newborn, just how hard it was, how much you had to rely on God and your husband to get you through it, how you realised that you truly knew nothing. Because your baby never read the books. Your baby is an individual with their own needs. You find that you aren't the mother you thought you would be, you lose your cool sometimes, and sleep deprivation is far more toxic than you ever realised.

And so it is with plural marriage. You might spend all the time preparing, and you think you know what it will be like, and you think that you have read all the books and got all the advice and you'll be able to do it better than others. But then another woman came along and she's nothing like what you had planned. She's her own individual person and she didn't read the books you did. You find you aren't as calm as you thought you'd be, and sometimes you lose it. You find that there are some really deep down insecurities that you had no idea existed that have now come up to say hello, and you don't know what to do with them. This was a hundred times harder than you ever imagined.

You see, to know if your wife is ready for plural marriage, is not to know if she is ready to have another woman in the house, or whether she's ready to share you. It's definitely not knowing that she's understood it's OK biblically. It's knowing that she's in a place where she's ready and able to go through the fire and come out the other side without being destroyed.
Read that again. It is not about her being accepting of plural marriage, it's about her being willing and able to go through great hardship and difficulty and survive it.
If there is any doubt that she is ready, that she could handle it, then don't do it.
There are too many failures. Too many people rushing something that takes much longer than you think. Too many people not knowing how difficult it really is, and that that difficulty is normal and will take you to an amazing place, if you have the strength, courage, and ability to ride it out.

One other thing they don't tell you in baby books. No one, no words written or spoken, no images, can ever describe to you the love you will feel when you look at your newborn baby in your arms. You can't possibly know until you experience it. I understand it's the same with plural marriage, there is much joy and love to be experienced, something that can't be understood until you're there in it.

I so agree with this. I am a wife that has come in when the other wife was not ready and now I feel that I am a home Wrecker for coming in to the family when she was not ready with how their marriage is now. I have also been hurt in it a long with her. I am at the point that I don’t want the lifestyle as well and feel like I am Stuck in something I don’t want and feel that if I walked away it would be better for all involved but the Bible tells me that now that I am a wife I am not supposed to leave. I feel bad all the time. I hurt her and myself by coming in. I don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel. How it has all played out is not how it was supposed to be. This is not what they said it would be. So for the men wanting to bring in the next wife please don’t in less you know for sure your wife can work through it. If you don’t it is going to hurt her, you and the wife coming in. I came in thinking that this was going to be hard but was looking forward to the happiness it would bring and instead I am getting the wrong part of how it is supposed to be. I wish sometimes I never came in. I love my husband and I am sure he is going to be mad at me for saying any of this but I don’t want others to get hurt anymore then what they will in this lifestyle. It is not for everyone. I have seen that it is not for me but I am in it and now I have to live it with the pain or not. So be careful man how fast you push your wife and make sure the one you are bringing in can handle it as well. Sorry my love but I can’t stop from sharing my truth if it can safe someone else the hurt and pain.

Our church/congregation/thingy places a lot of importance on a new plural wife getting pregnant right away to seal her to her family. While it doesn't always work I will say that most of the time it definitely does. In my own experience I had massive doubts at first even though it was something I really wanted (I plead female on this!) and while I had doubts and misgivings (and a lack of faith) the very sobering reality of twins on the way definitely committed me to my husband and family.

Just something to think about if you decide to add to your family.
What would you say to a woman that can’t have anymore baby’s even if she wanted to do to help?

I so agree with this. I am a wife that has come in when the other wife was not ready and now I feel that I am a home Wrecker for coming in to the family when she was not ready with how their marriage is now. I have also been hurt in it a long with her. I am at the point that I don’t want the lifestyle as well and feel like I am Stuck in something I don’t want and feel that if I walked away it would be better for all involved but the Bible tells me that now that I am a wife I am not supposed to leave. I feel bad all the time. I hurt her and myself by coming in. I don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel. How it has all played out is not how it was supposed to be. This is not what they said it would be. So for the men wanting to bring in the next wife please don’t in less you know for sure your wife can work through it. If you don’t it is going to hurt her, you and the wife coming in. I came in thinking that this was going to be hard but was looking forward to the happiness it would bring and instead I am getting the wrong part of how it is supposed to be. I wish sometimes I never came in. I love my husband and I am sure he is going to be mad at me for saying any of this but I don’t want others to get hurt anymore then what they will in this lifestyle. It is not for everyone. I have seen that it is not for me but I am in it and now I have to live it with the pain or not. So be careful man how fast you push your wife and make sure the one you are bringing in can handle it as well. Sorry my love but I can’t stop from sharing my truth if it can safe someone else the hurt and pain.
Thankyou for sharing this Rachelle. I have no doubt that it will be helpful for others to read it, and the fact it was painful for you to say only makes it more valuable - because it's the raw truth of how these things can go. There will be people who need to hear this warning, and they may pay far more attention to your raw emotive cry from the middle of it than to any amount of logical advice.
I have seen that it is not for me
I would suggest rephrasing that. You are in an extremely difficult mess, and you have found that the mess you are in is not something that you enjoy. Whether the lifestyle as a concept is "for you" or not is irrelevant, it's really not the right question to ask or answer. What matters is where you are at today, and how you will live today and tomorrow and the next day, given the situation you find yourself in today.

Thankyou for sharing this Rachelle. I have no doubt that it will be helpful for others to read it, and the fact it was painful for you to say only makes it more valuable - because it's the raw truth of how these things can go. There will be people who need to hear this warning, and they may pay far more attention to your raw emotive cry from the middle of it than to any amount of logical advice.

I would suggest rephrasing that. You are in an extremely difficult mess, and you have found that the mess you are in is not something that you enjoy. Whether the lifestyle as a concept is "for you" or not is irrelevant, it's really not the right question to ask or answer. What matters is where you are at today, and how you will live today and tomorrow and the next day, given the situation you find yourself in today.
I will have to live it regardless of if I want it or not because my vows and Commitment to my faith is more important to me then the happiness or unhappiness that this lifestyle will bring me. I know that I will have to focus on my Heavenly Father and try to understand what and how the pain I am in is going to make me stronger and come out of it a better person.

I will have to live it regardless of if I want it or not because my vows and Commitment to my faith is more important to me then the happiness or unhappiness that this lifestyle will bring me. I know that I will have to focus on my Heavenly Father and try to understand what and how the pain I am in is going to make me stronger and come out of it a better person.

I am sorry things are so difficult right now. I fully understand it is not fun, it seems hopeless and yet there is a deep conviction in your heart to stand by your commitment and your husband. None of us are exempt from difficult things in our lives. This is just part of the human journey thru life. For whatever reason, God has you on this path in your journey. I promise you He knows where you are, He knows what you need to learn and He knows how to bring joy in it. Hold on to your Heavenly Father, lean on Him, grow in your relationship with Him. If you do, then that peace and love will flow over into the difficult parts of life. You are not responsible for making things okay for the other wive(s). You are only responsible to be a good wife and grow in your own character. Out of those things, God will use you mightily for His purposes!

Search the Word for promises from God that you can go back to when things get hard. Pray them, believe them, and trust in Him to fulfill them. Also, please reach out to someone here or in your local life. We all need to feel that we are not alone in walking this path of Biblical plural marriage. Praying also, that your husband will have the wisdom and strength to lead his family as he needs to. Praying for you all.

I am sorry things are so difficult right now. I fully understand it is not fun, it seems hopeless and yet there is a deep conviction in your heart to stand by your commitment and your husband. None of us are exempt from difficult things in our lives. This is just part of the human journey thru life. For whatever reason, God has you on this path in your journey. I promise you He knows where you are, He knows what you need to learn and He knows how to bring joy in it. Hold on to your Heavenly Father, lean on Him, grow in your relationship with Him. If you do, then that peace and love will flow over into the difficult parts of life. You are not responsible for making things okay for the other wive(s). You are only responsible to be a good wife and grow in your own character. Out of those things, God will use you mightily for His purposes!

Search the Word for promises from God that you can go back to when things get hard. Pray them, believe them, and trust in Him to fulfill them. Also, please reach out to someone here or in your local life. We all need to feel that we are not alone in walking this path of Biblical plural marriage. Praying also, that your husband will have the wisdom and strength to lead his family as he needs to. Praying for you all.
I am been put in contact with a few people here and it seems I am still alone in it all.

I am been put in contact with a few people here and it seems I am still alone in it all.
You are never alone. The One who is our Creator and Father is always with you. Around here we certainly have a very strong bias toward refusing to give up in the face of frustrations, anxiety, anger, bitterness, and even loneliness, because we believe that is what our Father intends for us to do, given that He never puts us in circumstances or allows us to put ourselves in circumstances we do not have the internal resources to transcend. One, albeit simplistic, cliche that comes to mind is that life is always either joys or lessons, and when we're fortunate, life is both. This may be a lesson you are intended to learn, and if you keep your nose to the grindstone about it, you may learn how to turn it into a joy. You believed that joy was in store for you when you made the commitment, so perhaps you are needing to learn that your judgment still has a ways to go before it can come close to being perfected. But it may be the case that joy is still in store for you -- it's just going to take longer and be far more difficult than you assumed it was going to be to achieve it.

So you may feel alone if all you're hearing is to muster up more backbone and see this through when part of you may be wishing for an escape route, but please know that, while we are an organization that is in solid support of not only Biblical polygamy but more importantly Biblical patriarchy, we are also an organization of compassion, and there are probably precious few people here who would tell you to stick around no matter what. And if you choose your counsel wisely, you will discover that you are probably surrounded, at least here, by people who recognize that support for a rigid no-matter-what course are actually relatively few and far between. What you're unlikely to find, though, is support for bailing out just because the going got tough. In your messages, whether you recognize it or not, you are voicing emotional turmoil that seems to indicate a desire to be rescued. I also read that this is not just your issue, and part of what you may need to learn is that you are not required by our Father to compensate for whatever was unresolved or unprepared for in the family you've joined before you got there. You are not the only one who has lessons to master.

I pray for all manner of wisdom to not only descend upon everyone in your household but that the blanket of our Father's mercy and guidance are absorbed by one and all, with loving kindness, and that the man of your household will dig even deeper than he's ever dug within himself to muster up whatever it takes to provide the leadership that you need.

But you are not alone.

When I was a teen at church, I was always disappointed at how many hyped up miracle stories were "just about a changed heart". People would say "a changed heart is the greatest miracle there is" and as a youth I'd be thinking "meh, I want to hear about water parting and walking across dry land". Now that I'm older I understand. I've had times were my daily prayer was for someone's heart to be changed. I've had times where I saw a miraculous change of heart. It really is the best miracle.

But what I want to get at, is the world is always saying "people never change", but, I've heard many testimonies of the worst people being completely transformed, and it always seems to be connected with someone else being in prayer for years. Just as monogamous marriages can completely fall apart for years, then miraculously be restored to bliss, the same should be true for polygynous marriages. And as far as I know, no one in any marriage ever escaped having a major hardship in the relationship.

When my wife tells her friends about our 20 years of marriage, she sums it up as "10 years of hell and 10 years of bliss". That isn't a perfectly accurate timeline. But it conveys a point. I do hope that when we add another wife, it will be more like "5 and 5". Point being, relationships take a lot of time, and being in a monogamy may be just as difficult as being a second wife. Being single is the only way to avoid it. And that has its own different hurts.

Last edited:
You are never alone. The One who is our Creator and Father is always with you. Around here we certainly have a very strong bias toward refusing to give up in the face of frustrations, anxiety, anger, bitterness, and even loneliness, because we believe that is what our Father intends for us to do, given that He never puts us in circumstances or allows us to put ourselves in circumstances we do not have the internal resources to transcend. One, albeit simplistic, cliche that comes to mind is that life is always either joys or lessons, and when we're fortunate, life is both. This may be a lesson you are intended to learn, and if you keep your nose to the grindstone about it, you may learn how to turn it into a joy. You believed that joy was in store for you when you made the commitment, so perhaps you are needing to learn that your judgment still has a ways to go before it can come close to being perfected. But it may be the case that joy is still in store for you -- it's just going to take longer and be far more difficult than you assumed it was going to be to achieve it.

So you may feel alone if all you're hearing is to muster up more backbone and see this through when part of you may be wishing for an escape route, but please know that, while we are an organization that is in solid support of not only Biblical polygamy but more importantly Biblical patriarchy, we are also an organization of compassion, and there are probably precious few people here who would tell you to stick around no matter what. And if you choose your counsel wisely, you will discover that you are probably surrounded, at least here, by people who recognize that support for a rigid no-matter-what course are actually relatively few and far between. What you're unlikely to find, though, is support for bailing out just because the going got tough. In your messages, whether you recognize it or not, you are voicing emotional turmoil that seems to indicate a desire to be rescued. I also read that this is not just your issue, and part of what you may need to learn is that you are not required by our Father to compensate for whatever was unresolved or unprepared for in the family you've joined before you got there. You are not the only one who has lessons to master.

I pray for all manner of wisdom to not only descend upon everyone in your household but that the blanket of our Father's mercy and guidance are absorbed by one and all, with loving kindness, and that the man of your household will dig even deeper than he's ever dug within himself to muster up whatever it takes to provide the leadership that you need.

But you are not alone.[/

You took one statement out of all that I responded to this post and run with it big time. I might be a mess right now and hurting but I never said I fault alone out side of this lifestyle. I know my Heavenly Father is with me and I have got to a place again after picking this lifestyle that my sisters are here for me again when I need them. I was saying that I felt alone in the group here on this site and that I feel I am alone in the family here and that know one understands what I am really going though on here not in my faith or my family out side of this lifestyle. I am not wanting to be Rescued from my husband or the lifestyle from someone. I was sharing how hard it is to come in to a family that the first wife was not ready for because it is hard on everyone involved. It was me sharing my experiences in it to Worn Against pushing the first wife or even a second wife when taking other. To think and make sure it is best for your family in a hole. I may be broken right now and feel Trapped and that I don’t want the lifestyle anymore but like I said before my faith is going to out way the pain I am in someday but for now I am hurt and working on it. I love my husband very much even in the mistakes he has made. I care for my sister wife even if we don’t get alone right now because I care about everyone even if they have done something to hurt me. I know that I will make it though this with Gods help and hopefully he don’t have to do it alone to help me and my sisters in faith on here will try to help me though it too and welcome me more and make me feel like I am part of this family on here. I know when I came in to this it was going to be hard and I was up for the Challenge I still am even in the place I am in or the feeling I may be having. For Warning I don’t usually respond to man on here because I don’t feel that it is right but I needed you to know that was not a cry for help from a Damsel in distress. My husband is doing really good trying to care for my needs and trying to lead me the way I need lead. I did have his Permission to respond to this one. I appreciate your Concern but I am needing help from the sisters on here and Encouragement from them. Please know again that I love my husband very much and am not wanting to be Rescued I am wanting increased in my faith and support and a sister that has no problem just listening to me vent sometimes to help me work though the hurt and the pain I am in. Us women know some times it helps big time.

I hear you, @Rachelle West. I just missed the part about how you were only wanting support from sisters.

Back