• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is PM a calling or a gift from God?

C

Cap

Is it a calling or a gift to a husband or to a wife or to both?

Do you believe that the idea that a calling or gift is something that is a 'natural' thing were there should be little pain or suffering in performing the calling or gift?

If someone has the gift or calling to be an artist, it would appear they would be a 'natural' at it and would feel comfortable in doing it for God. If PM IS a calling/gift then why would it be so hard to function in it either for a husband or a wife or both?

Do you believe that the idea that a calling or gift is something that is a 'natural' thing were there should be little pain or suffering in performing the calling or gift?
Where do you find the idea in the Word of YHWH that a gifting or calling would involve little pain or suffering?

If PM IS a calling/gift then why would it be so hard to function in it either for a husband or a wife or both?
Because the enemy of our souls hates it and, I think, fears it.

Joseph had a calling. Moses had a calling. Jesus had a calling. John the baptist had a calling. Was the work God called them to easy or without trial?

Is monogamous marriage easy? Not for most people. Does that mean marriage is not a gift from God?

Jonah fought his calling every step of the way; was that to his benefit or hurt? He wasn't comfortable doing it; did that mean it really wasn't from God? Had he just submitted to his calling, it would have been not just easier, but brought him joy to see the repentance of a nation. Instead he fought it and only got sorrow.

If someone has the gift or calling to be an artist, it would appear they would be a 'natural' at it and would feel comfortable in doing it for God.
As an artist I can tell you it's not like that. That's the popular conception but most creative types can tell you of the hell they have to go through in order to produce work.

Some quotes:

“When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended for self-flagellation solely.” —Truman Capote

“Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead.” —attributed to various writers

“Artists don't get down to work until the pain of working is exceeded by the pain of not working” —Stephen DeStaebler

While one families poly journey may be easier, poly by design is not supposed to be easy. To expect that it will be easy is to overlook the massive personal and spiritual growth that it requires to be able to function efficiently within poly.

It would be like expecting that just because you have managed to make it through high school and get a diploma, that you are now ready for undergraduate work. The HS diploma is kind of the equivalent of a marriage license, sure you’ve got a piece of paper, now build a great marriage and family, graduate college and then go back and refine everything you thought made you successful when you were building your first marriage.

Then, because you have an additional party to your equation, you have to ensure that she goes through her own cultural evaluation/transformation and agrees to continue to follow you in this endeavor. Can three walk together, except they be agreed?

For some people, a “calling” seems to provide a level of comfort or justification, but IMO it is often a shortcut that avoids the personal character growth that’s needed for long term stability and success.

Every good woman who joins your family is a gift. There are those however, that it would be better to pass the gift along rather than open it.

I believe that there are men who are intrinsically more suited to this lifestyle than others. The men who are, are evident. The men who will be, are evident, and the men who will never be are also evident. The problem is that we are all legends in our own minds and often we fail to acknowledge the truths of our report card because the issuer is our own wife.

EDIT
Our wife is not the issuer. As Andrew pointed out below, God is the one who issues the report card. In many cases though, our wives are the ones who make sure we know if we failed or not:eek::oops:

Last edited:
...often we fail to acknowledge the truths of our report card because the issuer is our own wife.
I beg to differ, and would suggest instead that the issuer of our report cards is God, and that report card is going to be delivered by some combination of the internal witness of the Spirit and the loving admonition of senior men in our lives. Otherwise, I agree with VV76 completely, and everybody else above.

Nota Bene: Trying to decide if you're "called" to this in the mistaken belief that somehow that means it will be easier will create the opportunity for you to say later that you "made a mistake" and you are actually "not called" to this, right before you jump out of the plane and pull the ripcord. It will also create the opportunity for you right now to argue with God about why He's made some kind of mistake calling you (à la Moses), because you're obviously not suitable for the job.

The whole process of trying to decide whether anything we're making a decision about is motivated by God is a lot more complicated than most culturally-adapted people realize. When the stakes are higher and it Really Matters whether it's God or not, it gets interesting....

I believe that there are men who are intrinsically more suited to this lifestyle than others. The men who are, are evident. The men who will be, are evident, and the men who will never be are also evident.

Could you please expound on this?

As to calling or gift.... agreed with everything said. I will say my journey began withthe Father saying something very specific and direct to me regarding a lady not my wife that forced me to begin digging in the Scriptures. In that sense, I would say it is a calling.

As I've studied Scripture and probed my heart, then reading chapter 4 of Pilkingtons The Great Ommission, I suddenly understood my own heart that has always had a longing that I now recognize as the gift of poly and wanting to shelter/lead more than one lady.

So, I see both... but @Verifyveritas76 , I'm curious about the 'evident characteristics...

Thx.

Everything in life is a 'calling', properly understood, if you buy into the whole "my sheep hear my voice and follow me" thing. [Insert ritual plug for Experiencing God here.... ;)]

A 'calling' is a metaphor for whatever you sense as the leading of the Holy Spirit in your life. Jesus's original disciples heard a voice from a human throat. He said it was better for us for Him to go away and send His Spirit, and that the Spirit would guide us and 'lead us into all truth', but we don't all experience that the same way.

A 'gift' is tricky, and I'm reminded of the adage "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I'm also reminded of "pain is inevitable, suffering is optional" and "no pain, no gain". Is the struggle that makes you stronger a 'gift'?....

@Ancient Paths IMO there are men who obviously have their house in (not perfect but) good order, men who are getting their house in order, and men who will never have their house in order.

While not wanting to turn this into a patriarchy issue, there are many ways to look at this issue and many dynamics that go into this litmus test. Most of us weren’t raised with a cultural awareness of poly or the myriad issues that need to be thought through and planned for to make the transition easier. There’s quite a few threads about being the alpha type male or having a patriarchal outlook and while those do play a significant role in the man who has his house in order, they are not the only indicator of poly readiness.

For example, how is his relationship with his wife and family now - pre poly? Is he the type of man that his wife and family would follow him to the ends of the earth now? Or are they barely managing to coexist for the kids sake? Is he truly the leader of the home? Or is it only as far as she is comfortable and allows him to lead? Do the children obey the first time instruction is given in a normal voice? Do they continue to obey when the father is absent? Is there visible, evident love and respect for their father/husband - or are they just tolerating him?
Are his finances in order? Are they sufficient to expand without bankrupting the family? What is the debt load that he carries currently and what kind of debt/spending patterns has he established?
What is the vision for the family? IMO a man’s vision or lack thereof is as much an indicator of his status as anything else. How about his aptitude for receiving counsel? For allowing faithful friends to speak truth even if it seems to initially be wounding? And can he recognize the wisdom of such counsel even if it seems contradictory or counterintuitive to his own understanding?

I do agree with @andrew that other godly men can provide us with a valuable report card, but, IMO a man who ignores the report card of his current wife and family (not what they say, but their actions re: his leadership aside from poly matters) is simply a disaster waiting to happen.

Obviously, God is the ultimate authority and should be the one directing a father’s steps. I think we as fathers should be very, very careful what we lay at His feet. I’ve seen too many try to justify their inexcusable behavior by blaming it on a word or a calling. The proof is in the pudding.

This is not to say that a man must be perfect to consider attempting poly! Far from it! Just find some way to realize how much you are lacking and how to fix or compensate for that lack. If your report card is saying that you need to repeat the grade before you advance, for your family’s sake, grow in these areas and learn these lessons rather than trying to fake it till you make it.

As always, peace, love and all the fuzzy stuff!

Tour de force, VV76. Well said.

And I agree that a woman's demeanor and responsiveness are better indicators of how good a husband and father a man is than his own self-assessment; there's a feedback loop there that he ignores at his own peril. I think it's just the report card metaphor that's bugging me, in the sense that an authority over a student is pronouncing some kind of quality assessment. I'll get over it.... ;)

A 'calling' is a metaphor for whatever you sense as the leading of the Holy Spirit in your life. Jesus's original disciples heard a voice from a human throat. He said it was better for us for Him to go away and send His Spirit, and that the Spirit would guide us and 'lead us into all truth', but we don't all experience that the same way.

A 'gift' is tricky, and I'm reminded of the adage "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I'm also reminded of "pain is inevitable, suffering is optional" and "no pain, no gain". Is the struggle that makes you stronger a 'gift'?....

I was wondering if the idea of a 'gift' could be taken as an individual attribute given by God to oneself or others in personal setting or maybe a small gathering. Such as the Gift of Healing, or the Gift of Prophecy, or Gift of Tongues. Those things seem to be more focused on personal edifying functions. Both on a personal level and one associated with, say, a small church. However a 'calling' would appear to be more related to a corporate level of activity God is wanting to use to effect a larger span of His demonstration of power. And this could include both a larger society effected presently and one not bound by time. Those who had a 'calling' to participate in writing the Word of God effected their present time period but they also where meant to effect those of us now and everyone in between and beyond.

I would think, the 'gift' of PM may be given to a husband and/or wife or extended wives and local community to reveal God's true purpose in the development of families towards His desire for them. And a 'calling' to PM would seem to be on a larger scale to effect a larger society both presently and for future generations.

Just something I was thinking about.

CAP, I think you're looking at two sides of the same coin. Whatever's going on in our lives due to the operation of the Holy Spirit can be described as a calling or a gift or something else depending on the context or frame you're operating in. The gifts that God gives us are to be put to use, and that use would presumably be your calling. Whatever God calls us to do, he empowers us to do, and that power would presumably be your gift.

I would think, the 'gift' of PM may be given to a husband and/or wife or extended wives and local community to reveal God's true purpose in the development of families towards His desire for them. And a 'calling' to PM would seem to be on a larger scale to effect a larger society both presently and for future generations.

There is no reason that the gift/calling has to relate to a context larger than a man and his family (but not saying it won't). He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord. 3 are stronger than 2. It is just in the modern day, feminist society has damaged so many men that most are not capable of it anymore without a lot of personal reform. For them, even the idea of it sounds like madness.

Two

plus two
It is just in the modern day, feminist society has damaged so many men that most are not capable of it anymore without a lot of personal reform. For them, even the idea of it sounds like madness.

equals four. Submitted for your consideration:

It just might be that in this day God is "calling" men to rise up and be the men they should have been in the first place. Sort of like being "called" to get out of debt, or get in shape. God may have to direct our attention to certain things to get us to do them, but we need to beware of over-spiritualizing some of this. The fact that we may have to work pretty hard to overcome some personal weaknesses due to cultural conditioning or under-developed parts of our character doesn't mean we have to have a special "gift" or "anointing" to get motivated. We just need to buck up and get to work.

Romans 12:6–8 1
  1. Prophecy
  2. Serving
  3. Teaching
  4. Exhortation
  5. Giving
  6. Leadership
  7. Mercy
Corinthians 12:8–10
  1. Word of wisdom
  2. Word of knowledge
  3. Faith
  4. Gifts of healings
  5. Miracles
  6. Prophecy
  7. Distinguishing between spirits
  8. Tongues
  9. Interpretation of tongues
1 Corinthians 12:28
  1. Apostle
  2. Prophet
  3. Teacher
  4. Miracles
  5. Kinds of healings
  6. Helps
  7. Administration
  8. Tongues
Ephesians 4:11
  1. Apostle
  2. Prophet
  3. Evangelist
  4. Pastor
  5. Teacher
1 Peter 4:11
  1. Whoever speaks
  2. Whoever renders service
Spiritual gifts are enablements or capacities that are divinely bestowed upon individuals.

We are called to Ministries of all kinds, depending on where Adonai needs us. In HIS supreme wisdom he does not always call us to Ministries to where a gift that he may have given to us, would make that work easier.

Last edited:
Back