• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Is the Johnson amendment no more?

You are very critical of America Samuel. It doesn’t seem to accompanied by an equally judgemental evaluation of your own country or even any other country. To an American it comes across as rude and juvenile. It certainly isn’t in keeping with the rest of your conversation which is generally of a more elevated level.

We are the empire that rules his country; hard not for him to be critical. And there is much to be critical of.

Besides, he's not as annoying as our own native catholic monarchists. :D

If you win the game by one point, it’s still a win. The one who lost by one point, still had a loss.

As for me, I’ll take the win. Not everything we would like, but it’s still a win.

You are very critical of America Samuel. It doesn’t seem to accompanied by an equally judgemental evaluation of your own country or even any other country. To an American it comes across as rude and juvenile. It certainly isn’t in keeping with the rest of your conversation which is generally of a more elevated level.
I am criticising Western democracies. I live in one myself. In this case I was commenting on an American political topic, offering an alternative perspective on the issue, and actually saying that Trump's order in this case was a good thing, hence the USA theme to my comment. But that is all. My point that he was the head of one of the largest intrusive systems ever built was in my mind accurate - every Western democracy is terribly intrusive, but the system in the USA is necessarily larger simply due to the population size. However it may have been a poor choice of words.

In other threads, I have often used American examples for my points, but that is solely because most of you are from the USA so it's easiest to use those examples as it avoids me having to explain as much. For instance, if I talked about the Maori - English land wars in NZ, I'd have to present a history lesson before I could make my point - but if I use the American revolution to illustrate the same point, I can just say the point because you already know the history. I really am not anti-America. I can see how I can come across that way though, I'll try and keep that in mind.

Last edited:
The US was not founded as a democracy, it’s a constitutional republic. It’s degenerating into a democracy as we speak, but it isn’t one yet, technically.
Someone else may have pointed this out already, but people keep calling the United States a democracy, and that is not accurate.

The US was not founded as a democracy, it’s a constitutional republic. It’s degenerating into a democracy as we speak, but it isn’t one yet, technically.
Someone else may have pointed this out already, but people keep calling the United States a democracy, and that is not accurate.

While technically it has the outward forms of a republic (in the form of quasi representative democracy). In actuality it's more of an oligarchy or aristocracy these days; it's just hard to tell for the real machinations of power are hidden behind the public spectacle of elections.

The degeneration into democracy started aways back. I am a pretty firm in my belief that the 17th Amendment was foolish.

Back